Today, some movement has happened regarding the new album. We’ve gotten a release date, we’ve gotten some pre-order options, as well as pricing on various packages. What we still don’t have is cover art, and a final confirmation that the album’s title will in fact be “13″. There’s been a few hints in recent interviews that it might not be the final name – we’ll have to wait and see. In the meantime, here’s what we have gotten today.
[ UPDATE Mar 16 ] The album can now be pre-ordered through Amazon.com. Check the ordering links below.
[ UPDATE Mar 23 ]Found out officially that the “Super Deluxe” box is only orderable through the band directly at blacksabbath.com.
[ UPDATE Apr 30 ] Found out there’s a Best Buy Exclusive with a track available nowhere else. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
- The release date for “13″ will be Tuesday, June 11, 2013 in the US & Canada.
- The release date for “13″ everywhere else will be Monday, June 10, 2013.
The new album is going to be released on various physical media packages. They are:
- Standard CD – Your traditional single CD release. Whether this will be a jewel case, a paper sleeve, or what is unknown, but this will be your regular CD release. This is also available digitally through iTunes.
- Deluxe 2CD Set - Contains the Standard CD, plus a second CD with “exclusive bonus audio content”. What exactly that content comprises is as of yet unknown. I’m HOPING it’s studio material, but my money is on live versions of tracks taken from the concerts in 2012, and perhaps an additional studio track. We’ll see. Supposed to come in a “deluxe soft pack”. So no hard jewel case there. This is also available digitally through iTunes.
- Best Buy Exclusive – This is the same as the Deluxe 2CD Set, but has an “exclusive” track. That track is listed as “Naïveté in Black”. Stupid exclusives. That version is here.
- Vinyl – That seems pretty straightforward. In heavyweight (180g) vinyl, I’m guessing this is the content of the Standard CD on vinyl. No declaration of content for vinyl was made, but that’s what I expect it to be.
- Super Deluxe Box Set – Well, I’ll just copy the text from the official site on this one.. ”A Limited edition 12” clamshell box set which contains: Deluxe double CD album, 12” heavyweight (180g) vinyl album in a gatefold sleeve, Exclusive DVD containing “Black Sabbath–The Re-union” documentary, plus 5 behind-the-scenes videos, Download card containing exclusive track by track interview with Black Sabbath, 13 exclusive photographic prints and hand written album lyrics.”
The Box Set has a DVD documentary, hopefully it’s a full length one, and not just a 15 minute short thing.
Info on digital releases such as iTunes and Amazon MP3 have not been released. In the past, those have tended to have “exclusive” tracks which you can only get for a pre-order if you buy from them. No info on those at all, but it’s happened before, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it happens again. We’ll have to wait and see on that one.
The official website has prices available for what “13″ will cost if you pre-order it with them. Other outlets are starting to make it available for pre-order as well (see links below). Those outlets tend to have slightly lesser prices once they become available, but for now, here is what the official site is selling the various packages for (and for what location):
- CD: $12.98
- Deluxe 2CD: $14.98
- Vinyl: $19.98
- Box Set: $74.98
- CD: $12.99
- Deluxe 2CD: $17.99
- Vinyl: $20.99
- Box Set: $99.99
- CD: £9.99
- Deluxe 2CD: £13.99
- Vinyl: £15.99
- Box Set: £49.99
As of the first page update (Mar 14), not everything is available. In fact, only one item is available. I will be updating the Amazon ordering lists as I find they’re available to pre-order should you wish to order from them, and not from the band directly.
A word about Amazon ordering. When you pre-order with them, the price can fluctuate wildly before it ships. This is based on their guesses on what other people are selling items for. They have what’s called a “pre-order price guarantee”. If you pre-order now, when the price drops between now and when it ships (which it always does), you get charged the lower price. So what price you see there now, will not be the price it is when ships.
- CD (not available yet)
- Deluxe 2CD (not available yet)
- Vinyl (not available yet)
- MP3 (not available yet)
NOTE: The Super Deluxe box set will only be available if you order it through blacksabbath.com. None of the retail outlets are stocking this. I was told this by band management.
There was also a video released today from Rick Rubin, and his thoughts on producing the album. That video is available below.
As always, once I get more information on what’s going on, I’ll be sure and pass it along. I’ll update my “13″ page with all this stuff shortly. Thanks for visiting!
Oh yeah, there’s a small snippet of new music in this video. :)