Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Ozzy and Dio's relationship

What exactly are the details behind the Ozzy/Dio feud? Was there ever a bitter encounter, or is it just the fact that Ozzy and Dio just don't repect each other?

Default Re: Ozzy and Dio's relationship

Joe can answer this one, he did with me.....

Well, as for it being a feud, that is up for debate, but as far as both parties showing some kind of animosity toward each another, it has happened at one time or another since about 1981. I don't recall there being much of a fan backlash against Dio when the band toured for Heaven and Hell. Ozzy really didn't have the mojo going for him at that time. Probably the first (and most vindictive, in my opinion) incident was when Ozzy was touring as a solo artist and would pretend to hang a midget he named "Ronnie" from the rafters each night. Maybe that was what really started it off. I know that Dio on many occaisions has spoken highly of Ozzy and for what he has contributed to Black Sabbath. After Ward left the band during the H&H tour and Vinnie Appice took over skins, I remember Ozzy calling the band "Geezer Butler and the three Italians". I would have thought that Ozzy would react negatively to anyone who fronted Black Sabbath, but he actually spoke well of Gillan when Born Again came out, so maybe it had to do with the fact that Dio was the guy who actually took his job away. By the time the Mach II reunion came about in 91, Ozzy was done bad-mouthing everybody, and the only evidence I have found in Dio showing some form of resentment against Ozzy occurred when Black Sabbath was scheduled to open for Ozzy's "retirement" shows in Costa Mesa the following year and Dio opted out of singing, saying that it was Ozzy's night, and the focus should be on him, or something to that effect. He bowed out gracefully, and from what has been leaked out since, he seemed to be done with Sabbath by that time anyway, so the act itself does not necessarily indicate a dig at Ozzy. But Dio had a reason to want to opt out in my estimation since I don't think Ozzy has EVER said anything nice about Dio as a solo artist or as Black Sabbath's singer. Its a shame, really, because if they were good friends, I'm sure there could have been some songwriting involvement between the two of them. I mean, how would you like to listen to a song written by Ozzy and Dio together, just to hear the result? Hell would have to freeze itself over a thousand times.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

To say there was no fan backlash against Dio during the HnH era is an understatement ... the band was more popular and sold more tickets to concerts, and I believe more records, during HnH than for anything since Sabbath Bloody Sabbath up to that time.

In fact, HnH is the only non-Ozzy Sabbath album to go platinum.

Actually, I remember reading an interview with Ozzy in some metal magazine in the late 1990s and he actually mentioned Dio in a positive light. The interviewer asked Ozzy about his live shows and performances and Ozzy answered that he has on nights and off nights and that he isn't able to perform a dynamite show every single night the way someone like Dio could. I'm sure some of you on this message board recall that interview. I was really impressed that Ozzy gave props to Dio there.

[ QUOTE ]
    I was really impressed that Ozzy gave props to Dio there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Ozzy has relented and tossed a meager compliment Dio's way, but if it happened in the late 90's, as you claim, then that means he waited over 15 years before he could say something nice about the guy. That "really impressed" you? All he did was admit that Dio has a stronger live voice than him, and I wouldn't call that a compliment, exactly. Stronger doesn't automatically make you a better singer. Ozzy never admitted to being God, and praised a lot of other singers in his lifetime. Maybe it was a sort of nice thing to say, but what would "really impress" me would be for Ozzy to call up Dio and say, "Sorry I hung you in effegy for an entire tour." Of course, that ain't happenning. As far as the "feud" goes, the last bullet fired in anger in that war was in November of 1992, so after twelve years or so, I would expect a few random niceties to be thrown each others way, but Dio has done it more often, and more convincingly.

Side Note-I did forget to mention that Dio recently admitted that he had written a song about Ozzy and that song was "King of Rock and Roll" on Sacred Heart. That song's lyrics might be taken multiple ways, but it sounds like he was praising Ozzy, not slamming him. And this was in the mid-80's when the gloves were supposedly still off!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Well I like and respect both Ozzy and Dio as frontmen for Sabbath as well as in their solo work. The reason Ozzy's comment in that interview impressed me was because up to that point I had never heard that Ozzy had anything good to say about Dio and even that little comment was SOMEthing.

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did? What did I say?
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

[ QUOTE ]
    but he actually spoke well of Gillan when Born Again came out

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I remember Ozzy saying about that was "I know the Sabbath guys, and I know Ian - Good luck".

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I remember Ozzy saying about that was "I know the Sabbath guys, and I know Ian - Good luck".

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall a comment after the Born Again release where Ozzy said something to the effect of "It's the best heavy metal from Black Sabbath in a long time." I didn't know whether to take it as a positive comment because Bill was back in the studio or because Dio was out.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember an Oz interview in Faces magazine where Ozzy said something to the effect of "Ian is a friend of mine, and I wish him the best, but I have my doubts"

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember an Oz interview in Faces magazine where Ozzy said something to the effect of "Ian is a friend of mine, and I wish him the best, but I have my doubts"

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like what I read - I'd be lying if I said I remembered the EXACT words I read.

The only time I've seen Ozzy talk about Dio was in the "Don't Blame Me: The Tales Of Ozzy Osbourne" DVD, when he is talking about his firing from Sabbath, it goes somewhat like this:

"It was a whole scam, because Tony had met Dio, who was being managed by Sharon's father at the time"

And what about that picture on Joe's site?

On a side note, Ozzy's hair looks terrible on that pic.

Edit: Dumb me, there's an explanation of the pic on the same page...
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Actually, I listened to an interview with Tony Iommi on WRIF radio on Detroit a few years back during Ozzfest, and Tony was asked about the "Retirement Shows" and Dio. Tony said that RJD didn't want to perform those nights because he didn't want to "support that clown," referring to Ozzy. That is when, according to Iommi, that his relationship with Dio ended. I am a huge fan of both Ozzy and Ronnie for different reasons. Both are 2 of my 3 favorite front men (along with Robert Plant.) I have always thought that Ronnie was probably jealous of Ozzy's commercial success. All I know is that my pipe dream of all pipe dreams is to have Dio/Sabbath open up for solo Ozzy at Ozzfest one year with some kind of Sabbath medley at the end with both singers. Would that not be the greatest?!!

Dio's public quote was "I don't think Black Sabbath should have to open for anyone - not the least of which is their own former lead singer". And I agree with him. I also had just said this in another thread on these forums about 2 minutes ago, so that was faily amusing to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did? What did I say?

[/ QUOTE ]

You told me that since I obviously wasn't around in the early 80's (music-wise) that I missed out on some good jabs back and forth in the press and so forth. I was around, but was pretty young at the time. You didn't elaborate further.

[ QUOTE ]
    Dio's public quote was "I don't think Black Sabbath should have to open for anyone - not the least of which is their own former lead singer". And I agree with him. I also had just said this in another thread on these forums about 2 minutes ago, so that was faily amusing to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too, though it did give us one kickass opportunity to see Halford with Sabbath...singing Dio material, so it wasnt a complete loss (though the Ozzy chants in between songs were fucking disgraceful!)

He also said he knew that they were cooking up a reunion tour and that that obviously he'd be out of a job. He also talked about how ironic it was that Ozzy backed out of that tour and how after Tony screwed Dio over that he himself (iommi) ended up getting screwed over.

Anyway, the most recent thing I have heard about dio complimenting Ozzy was on an Eddie Trunk interview. Eddie mentioned something about what a legend was and how his era of sabbath is legendary and Dio, who was feeling humble that day, kinda brushed it off and said that he just feels fortunate he could be a part of such a legendary band, and then mentioned that its ridiculous Sabbath is not in the hall of fame. He followed that with "and that goes for Ozzy too" and mentioned that "those four guys" are the legends and should be inducted...he's just happy he had his place in the band for a while.

I also have an interview with Ozzy from the 80s on CD...called "The Rockview Interviews" and Ozzy mentioned that he was really looking forward to seeing Dio's stage show because he is an excellent performer.

All the picture shows is Ozzy and DIo in the same shot. Do they look like they are sharing a laugh over old times? No. It looks to me like they are both in an awkward moment. The pic doesn't really prove much, except that they might have spoken briefly one day.

As to the Born Again issue, if Ozzy said that he regarded Gillan as a friend that that seems like it would qualify as a nice thing to say, which is what I wrote.

And if Ozzy really did say in the 80's that he was "really looking forward to seeing Dio's stage show", then I stand corrected, but I'd have to hear that CD myself. To fulfill that claim, Ozzy would have had to go to see a Dio show in the 80's. Does anybody actually think that Ozzy EVER went to a Dio concert? Puh-leese! (Of course, Ozzy has said ALL KINDS OF CRAZY THINGS over the years and to take him at his literal word might be too just. His actions have spoken louder, from my perspective.)
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

i love ozzy and dio but i think most of the real fued was a thing in peoples minds because dio replaced ozzy

I think some bitterness that Ozzy might have had towards Ronnie was because Tony had Ronnie picked to succeed Ozzy beforehand. This is what I gather from what I read in Garry Sharpe-Young's "Never Say Die" book. Tony met Ronnie and began working on "Children of the Sea" right before he fired Ozzy.

Think about it this way: If you were fired from your job and replaced by someone that you knew was pretty good and rivaled your skill set, you would have some bitterness towards your replacement. Same thing if your old lady dumps you and has a date that same night, beginning a long term relationship immediately before you can pack your bags.

[ QUOTE ]

And if Ozzy really did say in the 80's that he was "really looking forward to seeing Dio's stage show", then I stand corrected, but I'd have to hear that CD myself. To fulfill that claim, Ozzy would have had to go to see a Dio show in the 80's. Does anybody actually think that Ozzy EVER went to a Dio concert? Puh-leese! (Of course, Ozzy has said ALL KINDS OF CRAZY THINGS over the years and to take him at his literal word might be too just. His actions have spoken louder, from my perspective.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I know for a fact he said that...as for whether he went to a show, yeah...I highly doubt that. I hope Im not offending anyone when I saw Ozzy is full of shit. He goes from telling little lies like "Alice Cooper is a very dear friend of mine" (ummm, I doubt it...I dont think they have ever met more than a few times at most) to "I wrote Suicide Solution about Bon Scott" and we all know he doesnt write the lyrics

RE: Ozzy and 'Born Again'.

Although it's been about a million years, I vaguely recall an Ozzy quote from shortly before Born Again came out to the effect that he had heard that it was a fantastic album. Maybe also another later quote to the effect that it sounded more like a real Black Sabbath album than the Dio-era albums. But these are just my vague recollections--the real quotes could be quite different.

Ozzy seemed to back off the Dio criticism after Dio left Sabbath, and he always admitted that Dio was a much better singer. Personally, I thought the Ronnie the Midget thing was a very low blow... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I wonder if that's where Don Arden got the idea for the Born Again tour's dancing devil baby?

[ QUOTE ]
    Think about it this way: If you were fired from your job and replaced by someone that you knew was pretty good and rivaled your skill set, you would have some bitterness towards your replacement. Same thing if your old lady dumps you and has a date that same night, beginning a long term relationship immediately before you can pack your bags.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats rthe only reason why Ozzy complained about Dio and that new Black Sabbath. He was mad with Tony.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats rthe only reason why Ozzy complained about Dio and that new Black Sabbath. He was mad with Tony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then if he was only mad at Tony, maybe he should have had someone dress up like Iommi and hang HIM every night on tour. I'm with E5, a very low blow indeed (no pun intended!).
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

2 of many mutual slams.

"ANYONE THAT THINKS OZZY CAN SING BETTER THAN ME IS EITHER DEAF OR STUPID." RJD

"I DIDN'T ASK HIM TO PARTICIPATE. I ASKED BLACK SABBATH, F*CK THAT LITTLE C**T" Ozzy on the Costa Mesa Shows

They have both been complimentary of each other as well.

Dio threw more than his share of barbs around. Not just at Ozzy, but at Tony Iommi and especially Vivian Campbell. Now Vivian doesn't want anything to do with him and he can't understand why. Tony Iommi has endured more insults from both of them than anyone. He has been pretty forgiving towards Ozzy and Dio.

[ QUOTE ]
    What exactly are the details behind the Ozzy/Dio feud? Was there ever a bitter encounter, or is it just the fact that Ozzy and Dio just don't repect each other?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard them both slam each other and complement each other. When it comes to the slamming (and I've honestly heard more below-the-belt hitting from Ozzy's camp), sometimes I really have to wonder how much of it was due to the interviewer's own provoking, or deliberate misquoting.

Ultimately, I think this whole "Ozzy vs. Dio" fued is largely just in the minds of the fans and the media. Critics loved to make these fighting paper images of both. Making fueds and blowing them out of proportion is just something the media has always done for the sake of entertainment (Bela Lugosi vs. Boris Karloff, Alice Cooper vs. David Bowie, etc.) I suspect that the two of them simply don't have any confirmed relationship -- perhaps they haven't met in person more than a few times.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard them both slam each other and complement each other. When it comes to the slamming (and I've honestly heard more below-the-belt hitting from Ozzy's camp), sometimes I really have to wonder how much of it was due to the interviewer's own provoking, or deliberate misquoting.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't just Dio they did shit like that to - according to legend, Sharon mailed actual shit to Tony Iommi when he was recroding Eternal Idol.

[ QUOTE ]
    Dio threw more than his share of barbs around. Not just at Ozzy, but at Tony Iommi and especially Vivian Campbell. Now Vivian doesn't want anything to do with him and he can't understand why. Tony Iommi has endured more insults from both of them than anyone. He has been pretty forgiving towards Ozzy and Dio.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA, now let's not get carried away here. I personally don't know about that claim that Dio badmouthed Vivian Campbell. In fact, Dio always has nice things to say about Vivian-- it's Vivian who keeps Slamming Dio for absolutely no reason. It's as if Vivian is trying to start a feud with Dio to help his career. It's pretty pathetic on Campbell's part.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA, now let's not get carried away here. I personally don't know about that claim that Dio badmouthed Vivian Campbell. In fact, Dio always has nice things to say about Vivian-- it's Vivian who keeps Slamming Dio for absolutely no reason. It's as if Vivian is trying to start a feud with Dio to help his career. It's pretty pathetic on Campbell's part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the way I remember it.

"All you got to do is look at his pictures these days and you know damn well that his next candidacy is for the Thompson Twins"

"The only mentions I've heard as far as Vivian versus Craig have been "Boy, you blow him to the weeds, Craig!"

"I'm surprised he knew the guitar had 6 strings to tell you the truth"

"Aside from not knowing his instrument, he knew nothing about anything! That's why it kind of worked. He had to allow me to be the mind behind his fingers. And when he decided he knew more than anyone else did, the demise set in."

"Now he's gonna have to put his talent where his mouth is. And I'll tell you, he better have a lot of talent, cause that's a big mouth!"

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"All you got to do is look at his pictures these days and you know damn well that his next candidacy is for the Thompson Twins"

"The only mentions I've heard as far as Vivian versus Craig have been "Boy, you blow him to the weeds, Craig!"

"Aside from not knowing his instrument, he knew nothing about anything! That's why it kind of worked. He had to allow me to be the mind behind his fingers. And when he decided he knew more than anyone else did, the demise set in."

"Now he's gonna have to put his talent where his mouth is. And I'll tell you, he better have a lot of talent, cause that's a big mouth!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you provide a media source for any of these quotes?
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you provide a media source for any of these quotes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember ever having heard a single one of those quotes. And if they actually were made, I wouldn't doubt that they were all made shortly after Vivian dumped Dio for Def Leppard, when RJD would have been angry and quick to make regrettable comments.

ROCK SCENE JANUARY 1987 ISSUE.
    Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan are on the cover.

Above Vai and Sheehan on the cover
    "DIO DROPS THE BOMB ON VIVIAN"

The comments WERE made right after Vivian left the band. They were still made though.

I don't remember ever having heard a single one of those quotes. And if they actually were made, I wouldn't doubt that they were all made shortly after Vivian dumped Dio for Def Leppard, when RJD would have been angry and quick to make regrettable comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't dump Dio for Def Leppard. He didn't join Def Leppard for about 5 years after he left Dio. He was in Trinity, Shadow King, Riverdogs and Whitesnake before Def Leppard.

Just because you don't remember having heard those quotes doesn't mean they weren't said. Does it.

Thanks for the info, warrior. Do you also have sources for the Dio v.s. Ozzy slams? I'm actually more curious to read those entire articles.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't dump Dio for Def Leppard. He didn't join Def Leppard for about 5 years after he left Dio. He was in Trinity, Shadow King, Riverdogs and Whitesnake before Def Leppard.

Just because you don't remember having heard those quotes doesn't mean they weren't said. Does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they weren't made, no need to put words in my mouth. I only asked for proof.

The deal was Dio was hired by Tony before Ozzy was fired. Heaven and Hell was being rehearsed with Ozzy, but it wasn't called Heaven and Hell. Some of it got recorded, but got reworked and rerecorded by Dio. I have heard Geoff Nichols has a cassette with Ozzy singing what would become Children of the Sea. I don't know how many grains of salt to take to this!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    The deal was Dio was hired by Tony before Ozzy was fired. Heaven and Hell was being rehearsed with Ozzy, but it wasn't called Heaven and Hell. Some of it got recorded, but got reworked and rerecorded by Dio. I have heard Geoff Nichols has a cassette with Ozzy singing what would become Children of the Sea. I don't know how many grains of salt to take to this!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be the weirdest thing, as "Children Of The Sea" was written by Dio and Iommi on the first night they met (Dio said it for the "Rock Family Tree" TV show).

Are you sure the band had even started the writing of the next album when Ozzy was fired ? I remember reading Geezer speaking about the bass lines Geoff had written while he had left the band at the begining of the rehearsals, but he never talked about anything being written before that.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
    "Black Sabbath : la Bête venue de Birmingham"

What Gardener says is true. Ozzy didn't do a thing with Sabbath after the World Tour of '78-'79 (For Never Say Die). Dio was asked to join, according to Iommi from my issue of Guitar World, after Ozzy was fired. That's also when Geezer left for a time, and Geoff brought in. "Children Of The Sea" was the first track to be laid down by Dio and Iommi. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] This has been said by Tony himself.
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

In Garry Sharpe Young's book "Never Say Die!" it does say that there were some primative versions of "Children of the Sea" and "Lady Evil" in existence before Ozzy was fired that Geoff has on tape. I am sure that it is just some loose riffs and skeletons of songs but nothing complete. From there, after Ozzy was fired and Geezer left for that short time, the album was primarily written by Tony and Ronnie with the band being rounded out by Bill Ward and Geoff (who wrote the bass line to the title track). When Geezer came back the last track for the album was written, which happened to be "Neon Knights."

I seem to remember Tony saying that they started Heaven and Hell before Ozzy was fired. Said something about them starting and Ozzy "having no interest in it."