Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Favorite Dio Singing Performance

i like rainbow in the dark...

After All (The Dead). Just listen to that piece where he sings "It says in a book I once read - yes there's a chance of returning!" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Heaven and Hell
    All the fools sailed away
    Stargazer

Mistreated on Rainbow "On Stage" is amazingly good

I think Dio's best vocal performance is Heaven & Hell. It's a soft, slow song until near the end, then, it gets a bit heavier and a lot faster. So, you get to hear both his soft and heavy singing. Which leads me to saying his soft singing is great and his heavy singing is amazing!

I love his performance on Lonely is the Word. One of my favorites off that album.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd say The Sign of the Southern Cross. It's so chilling when he screams "I can't accept it anymore!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this post, but my Dio experience is limited to Sabbath only. Where do I find this Stargazer that so many have mentioned?

let me introduce you to something called rainbow. you can find stargazer on rainbow's second album "Rainbow Rising". Rainbow is just amazing, ritchie blackmore was in rainbow also. I really like rainbow. if you want to get into them, any of the first three albums are great starter, "ritchie blackmore's rainbow" "rainbow rising" and "long live rock n roll". your dio experience is limited to sabbath only? get into rainbow and dio (the band).

I really recommend you the first 3 Rainbow albums. They are awesome and IMO Dio was better with Rainbow than anything else. Best way is to buy the 3 albums in release order. When you buy the first album you sure want to have the other two. All three are real classics and a must have.

yea i agree! and for solo dio...holy diver, last in line, sacred heart, dream evil, killing the dragon

[ QUOTE ]
    yea i agree! and for solo dio...holy diver, last in line, sacred heart, dream evil, killing the dragon

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget Magica!

sadly...i have yet to listen to anything from magica!
    i am a little new to dio so..

Well with the exception of Dream Evil, Magica is my favorite Dio album. I would HIGHLY suggest picking it up.

i'll look into it then!

yeah, Magica is a great album.

And don't forget Master Of The Moon....

what is magica most similar to?
    holy diver
    last in line
    dream evil
    sacred heart
    killing the dragon
    other

Magica is different from anything Dio has done before or since. I would actually liken it most to Master Of The Moon but you don't have that one, either. I guess it sounds sort of like a mix between Dream Evil and Killing The Dragon in parts, that's the most accurate description I can give.

master of the moon... is that worth going into also along with magica? I think that Killing the Dragon is great... i kind of expected a sort of a filler album or a album that wont step up since artists tend to release "not top notch quality" as they age up...like some of robert plant's solo stuff. but killing the dragon proves dio still rocks the hell out of anywhere!

Master Of The Moon is sort of a weird album, because IMO every song is either a bona fide classic or decent filler. But if you're willing to buy a 10-song CD and get 5 or 6 stellar tracks from it, by all means grab this album immediately (even the filler is very listenable).

Best tracks on that album in my opinion are "Master Of The Moon," "End Of The World," and "In Dreams."

sometimes im willing to buy a ten track cd for one song! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

"Lonely is the World" for me... His singin' and Tony's soloing towards the end are just f****** awesome...

I'm surprised noone has mentioned "Kill the King". I believe it's got Dio's highest notes, right after the solo, when he goes "Treason, treason", and then the "Fly like the rainbow" bit. It's amazing.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

yes i agree... i really like dios voice throughout that whole album actually, long live rock n roll.

i'm getting really attatched to rainbow's "temple of the king"
    i really like dio's singing!

The quiet bit he does on Die Young

Possibly Voodoo off the Live Evil CD. I just love that performance.

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/clairemcglinn/

He had a fair crack at mistreaded

He does cover deep purple's mistreated well , both in rainbow and solo

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/clairemcglinn/

Zepody may I make a suggestion, instead of haveing to repost your angelfire link why not just put it in you sgniture, mine is lyrics from Ozzy You're No Different
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

[ QUOTE ]
    Zepody may I make a suggestion, instead of haveing to repost your angelfire link why not just put it in you sgniture, mine is lyrics from Ozzy You're No Different

[/ QUOTE ]

I already sent her a PM suggesting that. Zeppody's response:

[ QUOTE ]
    Fair doos

[/ QUOTE ]

O_o
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

i wonder if he/she speaks like this in real life

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Ronnie's cover of "Great Balls of Fire" or the song "An Angel is Missing" from the Redcaps days in the early 60's. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just kidding. Don't know if I can pick a favorite, there's too many.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Default How about a 6 year bump?

Fav Dio Vocal performance???

My knee jerk reaction is "Wonderworld" from his Elf days. Just magical.

But how can you overlook "Stargazer"? Or "I"? Or something as short and syrupy sweet as "Blanche" from his Elf days? Very un-metal to say, but he had a beautiful voice as well as a powerful one. For me though, the pinnacle performance from Ronnie can be seen from the first 8 songs of the "Strange Highways" CD. I know that is kind of a cop out to list that many songs, but it is real. Pull out your copy of this and listen to it. Like on a long car ride listen to it. No one else in the car, cranked and key in on Ronnie's voice and lyrics. He is so passionate on this CD. Just a powerful instrument that man gave us.

For just one song... gotta be "Stargazer". I mean, c'mon... "My eyes are bleeding?" Genius!
    Can you sleep at night, when you close your eyes.
    Do you think of all the pain from your lies?
    Or do you deny, you're responsible
    For the victims of the sins you leave behind?

Quote Originally Posted by IommiRules View Post
    For just one song... gotta be "Stargazer". I mean, c'mon... "My eyes are bleeding?" Genius!
    Nice bump! And total agreement again!

Stargazer is such a monster of a song and without a doubt Ronnie's best vocal preformance ever! The end portion of the song is just magnificent...and truly not an easy song to sing! I can imagine why even Ronnie didn't sing the end portion live as it was on the album version...I think even he would have lost his voice on that one!

Others worth mentioning are The Sign Of The Southern Cross, Catch The Rainbow, I, Jesus Mary & The Holy Ghost and Egypt (The Chains Are On)...All of those show the different styles of the great man...the anger on I and Jesus Mary & Holy Ghost (heck I could pick any song from the awesome Strange Highways album) is just so real in his voice...no one could match that...no one.
    -What do you say to the dead? Will you forgive me for living?-

this is a hard one... I usually get extremely hooked on his small improvised live things, such as the part at approximately 12:30 in this version of "Man on the Silver Mountain" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZl_VVhqBc) where he goes "Like a circle in the wind, like life when it begins... night people..."

I agree on Wonderworld being as a whole song one of the best, and I also agree with most people here that Stargazer is his best vocal performance if you MUST pick ONE. However, songs from all over his career continue to amaze me, from "Drifting" and "Rainbow" (the song), to "Self Portrait" and "Light in the Black", to "Die Young" and "Over and Over", to "Egypt" and "Lock up the Wolves" etc... I mean seriously, I could be here all day ^^

EDIT: oh and btw Joe, that one cover of "Great Balls of Fire" is extremely good!!! I like "An Angel is Missing" as well but damn, that cover is great :D
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Quote Originally Posted by zeroon View Post
    Stargazer - just perfect!
    and Neon Knights in BS
    Yeah.........what he said.......
    Defender Of The Faith

Without going over his entire oeuvre again to scientifically determine which is best, the two that stand out to me are "Self Portrait" and "The Mask of the Great Deceiver". His singing on the entire album "Long Live Rock N Roll" is fantastic also, even if the album is a bit too commercial. He reached his peak on that one I think.

Actually, I don't think that, it just seemed like a know-it-all thing to say All I'm really doing is randomly shooting songs out there to make myself seem knowledgeable. I am not familiar with any of his solo work past Last in Line.

EDIT: Listening to LLRNR again for the first time in forever. Maybe I really do think his singing reached his peak (out of his output that I am familiar with) on that album, lyric writing as well.

EDIT #2: Favorite singing performance may well be his bit in "Kickapoo".
    Last edited by Monster Boy; 11-18-2011 at 06:16 AM.

his cover of jethro tulls 'aqualung' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oI-dsUw6Ko

and 'too late' off the dehumanizer album!!

Have a listen to At the butterfly ball, or Homeward bound off Roger Glover and friends, The butterfly ball and the grasshoppers feast. Awesome performance on both.