Default Bands similar to Black Sabbath ?

I'm looking for some music similat to Black Sabbath.
    I've done some reading on internet and allmusic.com

Does anyone here know any of these:

Orange Goblin (Dopethrone)
    Electric Wizard (The Big Black)
    Sleep (Dopesmoker)

? Or other bands?

Default Re: Bands similar to Black Sabbath ?

Check out Trouble! As allmusic.com puts it, "No band deserves as much credit for keeping the gospel of classic Black Sabbath-derived heavy metal (no to mention bell-bottoms) alive during the '80s as Chicago's Trouble."

They are the type of band you are looking for dude!

I read on Amazon that Dopesmoker just has 2 Tracks. The main Track runs over 1:09 hours. The second one is a live track. I already thought that it sucked that you cannot pick the passages on 2112 but this is crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
    I read on Amazon that Dopesmoker just has 2 Tracks. The main Track runs over 1:09 hours. The second one is a live track. I already thought that it sucked that you cannot pick the passages on 2112 but this is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your version of 2112, the song, not broken down into 7 individual tracks?

Trouble,Type O Negative...

"Sheavy" are very much similar....they were Sabbath tribute bands...but now they have turned out to be a great Individual band and their new album "Republic" is coming sooon..
    really looking for this album...

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your version of 2112, the song, not broken down into 7 individual tracks?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it has 7 Episodes but they are not switchable. Anyway a hammer of a song.

If you're into early Sabbath, there can be no better place to start than Budgie. One of my favorite bands, they were even heavier than Sabbath (though not nearly as doomy and gloomy) and their first 6 albums easily rival Sabbath's first 6.

Yeah, Budgie is a good one. They should've been a lot bigger than they were!

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, Budgie is a good one. They should've been a lot bigger than they were!

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight! They were actually pretty popular in the U.K. but never did anything big here in the States. Shame, too, since those in the know consider several of their albums to be timeless classics.

Pentagram
    http://www.cas.sc.edu/socy/faculty/d...Pentajuke.html
    Buy this album, called "Relentless"! You will not regret it!

Pagan Altar
    http://www.stonerrock.com/store/info...m_num=ATH-2613 http://www.stonerrock.com/store/info...m_num=ATH-2614

Count Raven
    VERY Ozzy-like vocals! High On Infinity and Destruction of the Void are the best albums.

Spirit Caravan
    Get the 2 disc album "The Last Embrace," a collection of practically every song they've ever released except their 5 song EP.

Cathedral
    http://www.cathedralcoven.com/download/download.asp
    http://www.stonerrock.com/store/info...m_num=ATH-1504

Candlemass
    Listen to these songs in order.
    Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation, and the self-titled are also good albums.

Witchcraft
    http://www.stonerrock.com/store/info...m_num=ATH-1979

Witchfinder General
    "Friends of Hell" is also a good album.

Earthride
    http://www.stonerrock.com/store/info...m_num=ATH-1240

As for the bands you mentioned above: It looks like you got Electric Wizard and Orange Goblin mixed up, as Electric Wizard is the one with the Dopethrone album and Orange Goblin is the one with the Big Black album.

As for Orange Goblin, I only have the album Time Traveling Blues, and it's great, I highly recomend it.

As for Electric Wizard, they have a 2 disc re-release of their album Come My Fanatics, with their self-titled album being the second disc. This is all I have of them. The 1st disc is pretty blah, but the 2nd one is pretty good.

As for Sleep, Dopesmoker is the only one I have and I'm not that fond of it. As someone above said, it's only 2 songs, the first one being like an hour long, and the second is a live track. I actually like the live track, but the hour long title track gets kinda boring...

And someone above recomended Trouble, and I agree. Their albums "Psalm 9" and "Run to the Light" are really good.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

[ QUOTE ]
    Witchfinder General

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard of those guys, are they any good? I've been planning to buy both their albums for a while now.

[ QUOTE ]
    Icy Sun wrote ....

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i'll try them out (will take a while [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

As for Budgie like some above said: have almost every album of them.

[ QUOTE ]
    Check out Trouble!
    They are the type of band you are looking for dude!

[/ QUOTE ]

Listening to Psalm 9 , Manic Frustration coming up.
    Not bad,but sounds like the Master Of Reality album, which just isn't my favourite.

Any other bands ? more Vol.4- & Paranoid-like

I'll second Witchfinder General. Anybody who likes Sabbath should dig them, big time. Their albums can be a bit tough to get a hold of though, probably because they have bare breasts on them. Cathedral is cool as well.

Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss. But the singer doesn't sound like Ozzy. I like that album, a good fat sound and chunky riffs.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

[ QUOTE ]
    Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much anything by Kyuss ought to appeal to Sab fans. Blues for the Red Sun is a great album.

I see that someone already mentioned Candlemass but I'm going to recommend them again. All their albums are great but the album "From the 13th Sun" is the most Black Sabbath like. In fact it sounds like it could have been written by Sabbath themselves sometime between Vol 4 and Sabbath Bloody.
    There is even an entire genre of music dedicated the Black Sabbath sound called doom metal. Visit www.doom-metal.com and check out their band list and you'll see alot of bands with a very Sabbathy sound.

trouble

I listened to Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass. The first 4 listenings I thought it was boring but it has really grown to me. The name Epicus really fits. Are the following albums similar to Doomicus?

One band that I'd add to the list is Saint Vitus They never were very popular.
    They had a doomy/stoner thing going on- very sludgy and slow. Their guitarist did noisy kinda Hendrix solos. The album with Scott "Wino" Weinrich "Born Too Late" is probably their best. He was in Obsessed and Spirit Caravan.

[ QUOTE ]
    I listened to Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass. The first 4 listenings I thought it was boring but it has really grown to me. The name Epicus really fits. Are the following albums similar to Doomicus?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, and Tales of Creation are more or less in the same style.

[ QUOTE ]

As for Sleep, Dopesmoker is the only one I have and I'm not that fond of it. As someone above said, it's only 2 songs, the first one being like an hour long, and the second is a live track. I actually like the live track, but the hour long title track gets kinda boring...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just recently got the Sleep album Volume 1, and it's pretty good, I like it much more than Dopesmoker.

Some early Cathedral albums sound like Sabbath outtakes. The vocals aren't great but the riffs are superb. Checkout the Etheral Mirror and Carnival Bizarre( which features a guest appearance by Tony Iommi!) Their cover of the Wheels of Confusion is great and appears on some Sabbath tribute albums.

Later Cathedral albums get away from the Sabbath sound and are more rock and roll than metal.

The first four Candlemass albums are great classics!The new album is with Messiah(again!!!!)and it is fantastic!

For every fan of Tony Martin and Dio Black sabbath -

ASTRAL DOORS really kicks ass

Hello Headbanger [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

Dude your best bet is an doom thrash metal band
    called TROBLE they are an killer band they are about like
    Sabbath but thrashy....

STEELER 14 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I just got the first 2 Trouble albums and the 2 Witchfinder General albums. I can both recommend to you all. Especially Burning a Sinner by Witchfinder General and The Skull from Trouble. The only thing I can complain about Trouble is that the only lyric them is God, Love and Peace. I dont have problems with songs dealing with that but all the time it gets really boring.

My favorite stoner rock band is a local Atlanta band called "Gonzalez". They are amaaaaazing! I also like Electric Wizard.

Grand Magus

Grand Magus especially the latest "Wolf's Return"

Cathedral especially "Carnival Bizarre"

The latest Corrosion Of Conformity album "In The Arms Of God"

I prefer all these to the likes of Kyuss, Electric Wizard etc. etc. which are just too slow and doomy IMO. Or sHeavy who to me sound like a bunch of kids trying to sound like Sabbath!

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer all these to the likes of Kyuss, Electric Wizard etc. etc. which are just too slow and doomy IMO. Or sHeavy who to me sound like a bunch of kids trying to sound like Sabbath!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nothing wrong with "slow and doomy," LaughingMan. But we certainly agree on Grand Magus ... the "Monument" collection is good as well. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nothing wrong with "slow and doomy," LaughingMan. But we certainly agree on Grand Magus ... the "Monument" collection is good as well. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Slow and doomy" is fine when it's mixed with a little other stuff as well..like Master Of Reality or Wolf's Return!

Go to Stonerrock.com. You will love it.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just recently got the Sleep album Volume 1, and it's pretty good, I like it much more than Dopesmoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just recently got Sleep's Holy Mountain, and I love it! Easily my favorite Sleep album. Any fan of the original Sabbath should dig it.

Crowbar, EyeHateGod, Fudge Tunnel, Iron Monkey, and Grief all make/made Sabbath incluenced music. They definately aren't for everyone, but I am sure that SOME Sabbath fans would enjoy them.

Planet Gemini is a really great band and everyone who's into doom metal should really download their newest album from their website planetgemini.net.

Down is another great Sabbath influenced band. In fact "II, A Bustle In Your Hedgerow" has got to be one of my favourite albums ever.

[ QUOTE ]
    The first four Candlemass albums are great classics!The new album is with Messiah(again!!!!)and it is fantastic!

[/ QUOTE ] You're right!