Default sabbath ripping off pantera, surly not

anyone notice that the riff to buired alive off of dehumanizer is similar to a new level by pantera?

Default Re: sabbath ripping off pantera, surly not

Tony: Geezer, we can't do that! We'll sound like Pantera!

[ QUOTE ]
    Tony: Geezer, we can't do that! We'll sound like Pantera!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, that's Tony Martin. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

I don't even remember where I heard that at, but I'm pretty sure it was Iommi during The Black Sabbath Story Vol II during the Dehumanizer interviews.

It was Tony Martin during the Cross Purposes sessions, I read it in an interview with Geezer Butler. That's why he left after that album, he didn't like the direction Sabbath was taking with Martin.
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Q: Back in '95 Geezer commented on Tony Martin not wanting to record some of the heavier material Geezer had written for the Cross Purposes cd. According to the interview, Geezer quoted Tony as saying "We can't do that, we'll sound like Pantera". The question is what was wrong with taking Sabbath in a heavier direction? (Ken Corch)

A: Er.. to be honest Ken, I think that was a Joke! I dont recall saying that, and Geezer said it was the most enjoyable album hed ever made. .. and I got him on video sayin it!!

[ QUOTE ]
    It was Tony Martin during the Cross Purposes sessions, I read it in an interview with Geezer Butler. That's why he left after that album, he didn't like the direction Sabbath was taking with Martin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geezer was happy enough when they were touring Cross Purposes. He fell out with Tony over the Nativity In Black debacle - that's why he left!

[ QUOTE ]
    Geezer was happy enough when they were touring Cross Purposes. He fell out with Tony over the Nativity In Black debacle - that's why he left!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, elaborate. I'd like to hear this story.

did Martin insist that NIB stood for Nativity In Black, or something?
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thats for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Well if I had to guess, I'd say it had to do with the "Nativity in Black" tribute album, which came out around that time. There was probably some sort of dispute with writing credits or royalties or something.

Ozzy, Bill, and Geezer where on that album except for Tony, that explains why
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going by this interview here: http://www.black-sabbath.com/interviews/butler96.html
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going by this interview here: http://www.black-sabbath.com/interviews/butler96.html

[/ QUOTE ]

That interview's from the time of Plastic Planet when Geezer wasn't even speaking to Tony. When they were touring Cross Purposes Geezer spoke highly about it (naturally - I presume). He fell out with Tony when he, Tony and Geezer were supposed to be doing the Bullring Brummies thing but Tony found out through a third party that Geezer and Bill were recording with two other guitarists. Tony apparently phoned Gloria about it - who was Geezer's manager at the time - and Geezer took offence. That was my understanding. I gusee what I'm saying is - Geezer might have criticised Cross Purposes later - but he certainly didn't when they were touring it.

^^^If that's true, then it would explain a lot.