Default Headless Cross album cover

The Headless Cross album covers features a large grave marker shaped like a cross with a circle around the center portion.

Now, watching the Led Zeppelin Song Remains the Same DVD, during No Quarter there is a scene where John Paul Jones rides a horse through a graveyard. He passes right by two gravestones that look just like the cover. The first one, which is behind JPJ is clearly the same shape. The second one, which is the larger one, passes in front of JPJ, but since it is lit from behind it is not clear if it has the exact same shape.

So I wonder if both were filmed at the same location. Perhaps that type of grave marker is more common than I think, but I've never seen one like it.

For those of you who own both the Led Zep DVD and Headless Cross (or at least have access to the cover art) I would like your opinion as to whether this could be filmed at the same place.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Headless Cross album cover

Those gravestones are pretty common and can be found in pretty much any cemetary.

Plus I think the HC album cover is an illustration, so it could be based off of any stone.

Kickass cover though!!

edit: found some pictures http://images.google.com/images?q=celtic...n-US%3Aofficial

I dont know if this is exactly true but doesn't the cover of the Headless Cross album have something to do with the black death that swept through Europe in the 1300s?

Just love Headless Cross cover... but I wonder.. if the album's name is "Headless Cross", why the cross have a head??

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

RAY RULES, check the back side of the album...The thing which is great with this cover is that at first the celtic grave cross is whole but then on the back side - as if after listening to the album through and through - it's been broken by the lightning...

The cover of the album "HEADLESS CROSS" is some of the most intriguing and mesmerizing illustrations I've ever seen. Dark, imposing, secretive, simple. The nighttime background couldn't be any darker and the moon makes me wanna grow some lupine hair and fangs...Mystical and almost frightening sensations creeping in my backbone just because of an album cover! But then comes the very best Black Sabbath album itself, 8 dark jewels of heavy metal. The entirety of the cover art and the content form some of the best heavy metal albums of all-time.

I sincerely wish that this masterpiece album would be remastered and re-released soon with the original cover artwork and the original soundtracks reinforced anew.

Classic Rock is a good and faithful organization in supporting rock music, but their re-issue of "HEADLESS CROSS" and "TYR" are total failures. Poor and pale front cover artwork with the irritating white framing, the CD prints and the back covers are totally different compared to the original IRS version...and the sounds are also fucked up somehow, I hear. I don't even want to try to listen to these Classic Rock versions to hear if their sounds are actually fucked up, these albums are just too important for me to be harmed in any way. Until the re-releases appear, I'll stick to my IRS versions.
    "HALLOWEEN RIFFS, WALL-TO-WALL GUITARS"

The Moon is so great there.
    "I don't sound like nobody"

[ QUOTE ]
    Just love Headless Cross cover... but I wonder.. if the album's name is "Headless Cross", why the cross have a head??

[/ QUOTE ]

The back cover shows it without a head.

http://www.sabbathlive.com/temp/mar0...-back_&_CD.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
    RAY RULES, check the back side of the album...The thing which is great with this cover is that at first the celtic grave cross is whole but then on the back side - as if after listening to the album through and through - it's been broken by the lightning...

The cover of the album "HEADLESS CROSS" is some of the most intriguing and mesmerizing illustrations I've ever seen. Dark, imposing, secretive, simple. The nighttime background couldn't be any darker and the moon makes me wanna grow some lupine hair and fangs...Mystical and almost frightening sensations creeping in my backbone just because of an album cover! But then comes the very best Black Sabbath album itself, 8 dark jewels of heavy metal. The entirety of the cover art and the content form some of the best heavy metal albums of all-time.

I sincerely wish that this masterpiece album would be remastered and re-released soon with the original cover artwork and the original soundtracks reinforced anew.

Classic Rock is a good and faithful organization in supporting rock music, but their re-issue of "HEADLESS CROSS" and "TYR" are total failures. Poor and pale front cover artwork with the irritating white framing, the CD prints and the back covers are totally different compared to the original IRS version...and the sounds are also fucked up somehow, I hear. I don't even want to try to listen to these Classic Rock versions to hear if their sounds are actually fucked up, these albums are just too important for me to be harmed in any way. Until the re-releases appear, I'll stick to my IRS versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I just LOVED your definition!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The back cover shows it without a head.

http://www.sabbathlive.com/temp/mar0...-back_&_CD.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you buddy!!.. Very nice sleeve!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww don't get me stated on those ones [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    The thing is, is there any other versions of HC And TYR to be sold? Those classic rock cds are the only I can find. And I'm tired of not having the lyrics included...

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

It must be painful to you, UnderTheSun...The IRS versions have all the lyrics included. And the IRS version of HEADLESS CROSS I have comes with coloured front and back covers, not black and white. Geez, I must have a true treasure in my collections! Original artwork, original soundtracks...

By the way, I found my HEADLESS CROSS by a pure and sudden chance, a friend of mine sold it to me for 50,00 FIM. But I had to hunt and seek TYR for five fucking years until I found it from used records' shop for 7,00 uros!!! Here in Seinjoki we also have a shop that buys and sells used CDs and even orders them from the main office or even abroad if needed/available. Reminds me that I have to check out this shop today...

Why in the hell's name the recording industry won't pay proper homage to these great Black Sabbath albums, both being the definitions of heavy metal in the beginning of the 90's...

I haven't seen the IRS versions of these albums on sale for many many years, only the feeble Classic Rock versions are out there. Hopefully they have the sense and respect to make these jewels available in their true form once again.
    "HALLOWEEN RIFFS, WALL-TO-WALL GUITARS"

I got my copy of TYR at ebay for 5 English pounds and it's the original copy.

I got my Headless Cross at Wal Mart for $6. Should've only been two

[ QUOTE ]
    the IRS version of HEADLESS CROSS I have comes with coloured front and back covers, not black and white. Geez, I must have a true treasure in my collections! Original artwork, original soundtracks...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the original if it ain't black and white! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I dont know if those have any connection but it is an awesome cover.

I dont know if those have any connection but it is an awesome cover.

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont know if this is exactly true but doesn't the cover of the Headless Cross album have something to do with the black death that swept through Europe in the 1300s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, according to what I've read, the cross was supposedly raised by the inhabitants of a village that was, like pretty much every village, troubled by the Black Death. The villagers apparently hoped God would have mercy on them if they raised the cross. However, everybody soon died of the plague and to top things off, lightning striked on the site, breaking the head off the cross.

I have no idea whether this is a real legend or simply something the band came up with when they did the song. I can't remember where I first read it, and I haven't found any other sources that mention the Headless Cross. It sure makes a great story, though!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, according to what I've read, the cross was supposedly raised by the inhabitants of a village that was, like pretty much every village, troubled by the Black Death. The villagers apparently hoped God would have mercy on them if they raised the cross. However, everybody soon died of the plague and to top things off, lightning striked on the site, breaking the head off the cross.

I have no idea whether this is a real legend or simply something the band came up with when they did the song. I can't remember where I first read it, and I haven't found any other sources that mention the Headless Cross. It sure makes a great story, though!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the IRS version of HEADLESS CROSS I have comes with coloured front and back covers, not black and white. Geez, I must have a true treasure in my collections! Original artwork, original soundtracks...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the original if it ain't black and white! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. The original IRS edition is in colour.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually read that the legend that inspired the song lyrics have to do with something called headlys cross.

ANyway someone thought headless cross sounded better then headlys cross.

Thats what I read anyway.
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually read that the legend that inspired the song lyrics have to do with something called headlys cross.

ANyway someone thought headless cross sounded better then headlys cross.

Thats what I read anyway.
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Banned

I have the IRS version and mine is in color .

Banned

I have the IRS version and mine is in color .

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMan View Post
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is black and white , bought when it was released , in 89 .

Holy necro Batman!
    Well I dont want no preacher telling me about the god in the sky
    No I dont want no one to tell me where Im gonna go when I die
    I wanna live my life, I dont want people telling me what to do
    I just believe in myself, cause no one else is true

I have always liked the Headless Cross cover. Certainly better than Eternal Idols cover which i thought was gay looking.

I have a tape version of Headless Cross that surprisingly is still going strong.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

I believe the Headless Cross original vinyl was in black and white. The original CD version is in color. I could be wrong though.

My orignal 1989 LP copy is in color. Made in Spain..

It seems that perhaps the UK version was then in black and white...?
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

I have the original UK releases on CD and vinyl - both these are black and white.

For info, Headless Cross (the place of the above-mentioned legend) is a place near Redditch, England. Tony Iommi lived not too far from here at the time of recording the album. He was kind enough to sign my copy (plus the 12" single) at the time and told me about Headless Cross being just down the road.
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post

Yeah, I bought the classic rock version, was VERY disappointed with it, then you won't BELIEVE THIS: One week later I found the original I.R.S. cd release in Rite Aid for 8 bucks. It was the only copy, buried in a HUGE pile of shitty cds. My eyes lit up when I saw that album, couldn't believe I saw if for 8 bucks, when it sells for 30 dollars on ebay. Anyway, picked that up, MUCH better than the classic rock edition, which I gave to my Dad.

I have the original Japanese and USA CD releases. Both in full color. I have the USA LP original still in the cellophane, with a purple sticker that says 'Black Sabbath In The Year Of Our Lord 1989,' or something like that (I'm not actually looking at it at the moment). The UK versions, from what I understand were the only B&W versions.