Default MTV's Top 10 Greatest Heavy Metal Bands Of All Time

An MTV panel of heavy metal "experts," consisting of "nine die-hard, longtime fans," recently came together to compile a list of the "Greatest Heavy Metal Bands of All Time." "In part one [of the process], we reached out to the most passionate and knowledgable metal fans working at MTV and asked them to send us their individual picks for the 10 greatest, with the only criteria being 'whatever greatness means to you,' " MTV.com's Jon Wiederhorn explains. "Some feel that the influence a band had on others is the most important factor in judging greatness; others say the strength of the albums is the primary concern; and some believe the power of a band's live performance is the ultimate measure. We did not care what each participants criteria was; we only asked them to vote from their hearts.

"Once we had all the lists, we did a little math. Every time a band was ranked #1 by someone, it received 10 points; #2 rankings received 9 points, and so on. When the points were added up, we had a list that represented the collective wisdom of the voters ... in theory, anyway.

"In part two, we gathered everyone together, showed them the results, and asked them to either stand by it, or change it as they saw fit, the only rule being that a majority had to vote in favor of every change. The discussion and debate over the rankings is what you see in the Overdrive show."

Read more at MTV.com.

"Top 10 Greatest Heavy Metal Bands Of All Time," according to MTV.com's panel of "experts":

01. BLACK SABBATH
    02. JUDAS PRIEST
    03. METALLICA
    04. IRON MAIDEN
    05. PANTERA
    06. SLAYER
    07. AC/DC
    08. MOTÖRHEAD
    09. KISS
    10. MÖTLEY CRÜE

Metal's honorable mentions:

ALICE IN CHAINS
    ANTHRAX
    FAITH NO MORE
    IN FLAMES
    MEGADETH
    MERCYFUL FATE
    MINISTRY
    SEPULTURA
    SYSTEM OF A DOWN
    TOOL
    VAN HALEN
    VENOM

Voting Members:

Jem Aswad - senior editor, MTV News
    Dana Bove - producer, MTV Radio
    Nova Calise - Chelsea Television Studios
    Roger Coletti - senior director, MTV Networks Radio
    Rick Ernst - supervising producer, MTV2
    Jennifer Guyre - metal programmer, Urge
    Chris Harris - reporter, MTV News
    Jamey Jasta - host, "Headbangers' Ball"
    Robert Mancini - editorial director, MTV News
    John Ostrosky - host, VH1's "Talking Metal at Rock Honors" podcast
    Rodrigo Perez - producer, MTV News
    Alexander Smith - managing editor, MTV News
    Jon Wiederhorn - freelance writer, MTV News

Default Re: MTV's Top 10 Greatest Heavy Metal Bands Of All Time

looks like a pretty good list IMO
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

yeh not a bad list, although i personally question KISS being there

Apart from Mötley Crüe and KiSS it looks like a pretty decent list to me. Although I don't think that bands in the grey area between rock and metal (like AC/DC and KiSS) should be on a list over the 10 greatest metal bands of all time.

Kiss and Motley Crue is the bad part but I like the list. I am shocked this is an mtv list.

I don't get it, what's the problem some of you have with KISS and Motley Crue being on the list?

They are both horrible bands as far as I'm concerned. I also think that it's questionable whether they are metal bands at all. I'd say that Anthrax, Megadeth, Venom, or Mercyful Fate (from the honourable mentions) should be on the list instead.

It looks like a decent, although obvious list. I have no problem with the list alone, but it does raise the question about whether such a list is simply too obvious and easy to make. At least 6 of those bands would probably be on any top-10 metal list and the other 4 probably belong there as well, so there's really not much to ponder over this one.

Its a good list but I am kind of curious as to why they did not include Guns N' Roses, and Skid Row in there. Sure Guns N' Roses did have a decent amount of songs that weren't heavy metal but they also had quite a bit of songs that were heavy metal and big hits as well(Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine). As for Skid Row, they also produced some very great heavy metal songs(Youth Gone Wild, Slave To The Grind, In A Darkened Room) and also happened to produce the first metal album that debuted at number 1 on the charts in its first week(Slave To The Grind album) so in my honest opinion, they really deserve to be on there.

I like the fact that Skid Row and GNR weren't on there. They were both great bands, but they get WAY too much credit considering they only released a few albums each.

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the fact that Skid Row and GNR weren't on there. They were both great bands, but they get WAY too much credit considering they only released a few albums each.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do agree with you a bit by saying Guns N' Roses do get a little too much credit, I would have to say that Skid Row does not get enough. I mean, unlike Guns N' Roses who everyone I know has heard of, almost no one I talk to in my school has any clue as to who Skid Row is. Plus, whenever I watch rock/metal shows, its always Guns N' Roses who gets more recognition and credit as well as songs played than Skid Row and that really bothers me a bit as Skid Row is way better than Guns N' Roses in my opinion.(I still like the bands Guns N' Roses quite a bit though).

Anyways, even though the bands did not release that many albums, I personally go for quality over quanity and if those bands had produced only 1 great metal album, I would still think that they deserve to at least on the honrable mentions list.

No complaints really, they pretty much hit it on the nose with this one, but Deep Purple could also been in there also. What also surprises me is this: THEY HAD A TOP TEN METAL LIST?!
    Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 05-15-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

YEah both of those things shock me. Why was Deep Purple not on there? Also, AC/DC should not be there. They are not heavy metal. They are hard rock. KISS does not belong there. System of a Down doesn't even belong in the mentions, they are numetal, and that's nowhere near the top of the metal bands.

With those kind've mistakes, I'm surprised Zeppelin didn't beat out Judas Priest...of course, they could never beat out Sabbath on a list like this...
    -rar

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do agree with you a bit by saying Guns N' Roses do get a little too much credit, I would have to say that Skid Row does not get enough. I mean, unlike Guns N' Roses who everyone I know has heard of, almost no one I talk to in my school has any clue as to who Skid Row is. Plus, whenever I watch rock/metal shows, its always Guns N' Roses who gets more recognition and credit as well as songs played than Skid Row and that really bothers me a bit as Skid Row is way better than Guns N' Roses in my opinion.(I still like the bands Guns N' Roses quite a bit though).

Anyways, even though the bands did not release that many albums, I personally go for quality over quanity and if those bands had produced only 1 great metal album, I would still think that they deserve to at least on the honrable mentions list.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Totally agree on the GN'R/Skid Row comparison. The big downer with Skid Row is, because Bon Jovi gave 'em a leg-up and Seb Bach was a pretty-boy, they're always lumped in with hair bands like Poison & Warrant by the uninitiated. Skid Row had the lot, from Seb's incredible vocals & the band's musicianship through to songwriting.

There was a huge gig here in '92 with GN'R, Skid Row & a reformed Rose Tattoo. The general consensus on the "blew-me-away" rating was 1) Skid Row 2) Rose Tattoo 3) GN'R.

Mind you, I saw GN'R in '88 & they were then the rawest, hardest, dirtiest mo-fos I'd ever seen at the time. The humblest, too (while support act The Angels played, the Gunners were actually leaning on the side of the stage watching them, befiore giving praise mid-show).

How the fuck is In Flames and fucking SOAD on there? That's just complete bullshit. If In Flames is in the honorable mentions, then fuck let's just put Nirvana and Slipknot on there.

[ QUOTE ]
    How the fuck is In Flames and fucking SOAD on there? That's just complete bullshit. If In Flames is in the honorable mentions, then fuck let's just put Nirvana and Slipknot on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey its mtv, thank fuck they dont have limp bizkit or linkin park on their, oh and being mtv im suprised that they didnt have live green day or something, lol..... i will give them their due tho, they put the right band in the right spot, sabbath at no. 1!!!
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Frankly, I reckon that this list mostly reads like yet another "preaching to the converted" effort. Most ardent Metal fans would simply nod and sigh in agreement going through this----but there are some comical shockers too.

I agree with all of you that have already pointed out your surprise and disappointment at the inclusion of trashy bands like KISS and Motley Crue. These two bands simply DON'T (AND NEVER DID) belong in the company of Sabbath and the rest in a Top 10 roster such as this one. I can't fathom how anyone with good taste and a clear conscience can allow these two bands to gatecrash into the boardroom of Metal greats. AC/DC, at their very peak, was just another very good, fun hard rock act, no more, no less. They certainly don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the others on show here. And we are talking about METAL. I thought hard about Motorhead too, but then I reluctantly let that pass. I'm sure I can think of much better, more deserving bands to replace them on this list, but right now I can't nail that down quickly enough. On the "Honourable Mentions" list, I would happily boot out acts like InFlames, SoAD and Sepultura with no regrets. I've heard very little of the material of both Tool and Venom to make a fair comment about their 'honourable mentions'.

Finally, CrueDude, is this Top 10 list to be taken literally??----i.e. Black Sabbath being rated #1 meaning they are considered (by the aforementioned MTV voters, of course) to be the 'best' with Motley Crue finishing bottom as (how to put it kindly?) 'least best'??

If that's the case, then lemme finish by saying that not in my most dire nightmares would I ever dream of putting my absolute favourites like Pantera and Slayer lower than Metallica, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, no way. Pantera and Slayer would be permanently in my Top 3 of 'Metal Greats'. But then I had no shout in the poll you posted.

Thanks for the post mate!!!
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Banned

Gotta give 'em some cred - so many people list Led Zep & Deep Purple as metal acts - they are not & never were. Yeah, THAT riff from smoke on the water probably made a lot of future metalheads pick up a guitar, but one riff doesn't make a band metal. People who call Led Zep metal because of their handful of truly hard songs may as well call Faith No More a Black Sabbath covers band because they did War Pigs.

Unfortunately, it's for those reasons I wouldn't have the Crue there, either. Yup, they had some hard songs (Shout At The Devil, Live Wire, Wildside, etc) but they were primarily a rock band rather than a metal band.

However, good on 'em for putting KISS in there. Yeah yeah - I know what you're thinking: "This bloke's even more of an idiot than I ever thought possible" but hear me out.

The material on their first half a dozen studio albums - particularly the first three - can't be ignored. The material for its time was bad-assed metal. Songs like She, Cold Gin, Deuce, Strutter, Hotter Than Hell, Parasite, 100000 Years, Black Diamond, Firehouse...man, there's some heavy stuff there.

Of course, their make-up/fire-breathing/comic books overshadowed some fuggin' great rock AND metal. Shit - the production's why most don't count 'em as metal, but listen to note-perfect covers by recognised metal bands (Anthrax's Parasite & Skid Row's C'mon & Love Me immediately spring to mind) & you'll hear metal. They've more of a right to be there than Motley Crue or Accadacca.

IMHO, dismissing KISS' metal credibility because of the make-up and I Was Made For Loving You is like saying Sabbath don't belong on that list because of Changes & The Osbournes.

Well, nearly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    No complaints really, they pretty much hit it on the nose with this one, but Deep Purple could also been in there also. What also surprises me is this: THEY HAD A TOP TEN METAL LIST?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness 8bit, Deep Purple, to me, doesn't much qualify to be mentioned among the Metal elite. I know they are still credited to have had a significant impact on metal music that followed after their heydays of the 70s. DP have been labelled with various tags----starting from their origins as a strongly classical/psychedelic-inspired band to mainly 'prog-rock/metal' for most of their seemingly immortal career.

Yet, I strongly feel that Deep Purple only ever made ONE true Metal record in their life: In Rock----(incidentally my runaway favourite album from their huge discography)--was the only DP record that was, from start to finish, a memorable, unabashed metal-fest. Sure, DP bared their metallic fangs from time to time, but never consistently or confidently enough to make them 'great' in my book. Even their best albums from the 70's, after In Rock, experimented with classic rock, blues, funk, pop stylings way too much to ever make them genuine contenders in the metal community. I won't even elaborate on the entire litany of dumbed-down, utterly cheesy, forgettable, disposable DP records of the 80s and 90s upto and including 'Rapture...'(2005)--but excluding 'Perfect Strangers' which was very good.

Whatever influence Deep Purple may have had on modern metal music, personally, I'm convinced that as a band they always made me feel like they were somehow extremely 'afraid' and/or 'ashamed' of embracing Metal. I'd go so far as to say that this alone justly disqualifies them from a place in even the "honourable mentions' on this list. Just my opinion and I never was an "expert".
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

did you guys see HBB last night. They showed clips of how they chose the bands on the list. I think you can see them on mtv2.com
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

[ QUOTE ]
    Its a good list but I am kind of curious as to why they did not include Guns N' Roses, and Skid Row in there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And Accept, Helloween, Queensryche & Overkill should've been in the honorable mentions too at least...

[ QUOTE ]
    Totally agree on the GN'R/Skid Row comparison. The big downer with Skid Row is, because Bon Jovi gave 'em a leg-up and Seb Bach was a pretty-boy, they're always lumped in with hair bands like Poison & Warrant by the uninitiated. Skid Row had the lot, from Seb's incredible vocals & the band's musicianship through to songwriting.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe also because Skid Row included a former member of Bon Jovi as well...

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with all of you that have already pointed out your surprise and disappointment at the inclusion of trashy bands like KISS and Motley Crue. These two bands simply DON'T (AND NEVER DID) belong in the company of Sabbath and the rest in a Top 10 roster such as this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure KISS and Crue deserve to be on this list. I still seriously don't know what some people's problem with them being on this list is. I mean, they got Sabbath beat in some ways.

[ QUOTE ]
    Finally, CrueDude, is this Top 10 list to be taken literally??----i.e. Black Sabbath being rated #1 meaning they are considered (by the aforementioned MTV voters, of course) to be the 'best' with Motley Crue finishing bottom as (how to put it kindly?) 'least best'??

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess it's to be taken however the reader wants to take. I think Priest or Metallica could've just as easily been in the #1 spot. Take it how you like. It's not like the list is official or anything, there never will be an official Top 10 or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey its mtv, thank fuck they dont have limp bizkit or linkin park on their, oh and being mtv im suprised that they didnt have live green day or something, lol..... i will give them their due tho, they put the right band in the right spot, sabbath at no. 1!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    agreed
    -rar

RLP4ever, I agree with your assessment on Deep Purple's metalness. "In Rock" was really the only true metal album they recorded, and while they were certainly more metal than Led Zeppelin by a mile, I would probably not call them a true metal band.

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe also because Skid Row included a former member of Bon Jovi as well...[ QUOTE ]

What the...? Can you please elaborate on this?

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe also because Skid Row included a former member of Bon Jovi as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    What the...? Can you please elaborate on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Skid Row's lead guitarist Dave "The Snake" Sabo was Bon Jovi's original lead guitarist. Sabo was replaced by Richie Sambora before Bon Jovi entered the studio to record their first album. I do believe Dave played on an early demo of "Runaway" which helped Bon Jovi get their record contract. Not really sure whether Dave was fired from Bon Jovi or if he quit though.

Anyways, that was Skid Row's connection with Bon Jovi and why Dave's buddy Jon Bon Jovi helped Skid Row get their record contract...

Banned

Well paint me brown & call me a panther! I followed Skid Row's fairly cloely for their first few years in the spotlight & don't recall ever seeing this mentioned.

Just Googled about what happened and, because Bon Jovi was Jon plus a bunch of employees, he simply fired Dave "The Snake" after Richie Sambora talked his way into an audition (& Jon liked what he heard, saw or touched, I guess [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]).

[ QUOTE ]
    Kiss and Motley Crue is the bad part but I like the list. I am shocked this is an mtv list.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinions exactly.

I think that list is one of the better ones that I've seen.
    Congrats MTV on not macking a hack job list.