Default Line-up on "Some Kind of Woman"?

Sorry if this is a repeated question from way back. Anybody know the official line-up besides Iommi?

Default Re: Line-up on "Some Kind of Woman"?

It was recorded the early stages of the "Eternal Idol" sessions with Dave Spitz and Ray never recorded any vocal for it so it became an outtake.

When they were looking for a new song to be released as a B-side, Tony Martin wrote and recorded lyrics for it. So the complete line-up was : Iommi / Martin / Spitz / Singer / Nicholls, even though these guys never really played together.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Okay thanks. It just kinda sounded like Ray Gillen a bit.

Banned

Originally Posted By: Gardener It was recorded the early stages of the "Eternal Idol" sessions with Dave Spitz and Ray never recorded any vocal for it so it became an outtake.

When they were looking for a new song to be released as a B-side, Tony Martin wrote and recorded lyrics for it. So the complete line-up was : Iommi / Martin / Spitz / Singer / Nicholls, even though these guys never really played together.

Would have love to hear a cd from that line-up !

Wasn't Geoff Nicholls on bass for this one? Or was he playing four strings on Black Moon '87? I remember reading about this once but now memory eludes me.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Originally Posted By: Rover Wasn't Geoff Nicholls on bass for this one? Or was he playing four strings on Black Moon '87? I remember reading about this once but now memory eludes me.
    Yes, it was on "Black Moon".
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.

Banned

Originally Posted By: Gardener
    Originally Posted By: Rover Wasn't Geoff Nicholls on bass for this one? Or was he playing four strings on Black Moon '87? I remember reading about this once but now memory eludes me.
    Yes, it was on "Black Moon".

Geoff is a talented man , terrible he was excluded from the Heaven and Hell project !

Not that there would be any significant difference except his being there, really. Nothing against the man but there's barely any keyboard playing on the H&H stuff. If the Tonys ever team up again though, Geoff would have to be part of that project, as he plays a bigger part on the Martin stuff.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Banned

Originally Posted By: David86 Not that there would be any significant difference except his being there, really. Nothing against the man but there's barely any keyboard playing on the H&H stuff. If the Tonys ever team up again though, Geoff would have to be part of that project, as he plays a bigger part on the Martin stuff.

Comon dude the fucking guy played a big part in everything from 80 - 95 !

Originally Posted By: Eternal Idol
    Originally Posted By: David86 Not that there would be any significant difference except his being there, really. Nothing against the man but there's barely any keyboard playing on the H&H stuff. If the Tonys ever team up again though, Geoff would have to be part of that project, as he plays a bigger part on the Martin stuff.

I agree with David though. There is very little keyboard playing on those Dio-era albums. I mean, its not like they had a song like Rainbow In The Dark, or Rock N' Roll Children, where the keyboard is very prominent.

I agree with David though. There is very little keyboard playing on those Dio-era albums. I mean, its not like they had a song like Rainbow In The Dark, or Rock N' Roll Children, where the keyboard is very prominent.

Banned

Originally Posted By: Petoria000

Comon dude how about the respect for songwriting , backing vocals , bass , backing guitar , lead vocals , i know u and Buttocks are buddies but give Geoff his due please !

Comon dude how about the respect for songwriting , backing vocals , bass , backing guitar , lead vocals , i know u and Buttocks are buddies but give Geoff his due please !
    I'm not discrediting what he accomplished. I'm just saying I don't think he didn't have a very big role in the Dio-era.

I have to agree that Geoff's role really became proheminent with the Martin era. It's not a matter of weither there is a lot of keyboards or not in the songs, it's a matter of the importance of his input. He sure was of a great help during the Dio and Gillan eras and helped composing everything, but when you have people like Tony Iommi and Ronnie James Dio or Ian Gillan in a band, there's not much room left for anyone else.

More precisely : Listen to the Dio era Sabbath, anyone can tell there was a huge change in the sound of the band. Tony Iommi brought his riffs, Ronnie James Dio brought his more operatic melodies. Then listen to what Sabbath and Dio did after they split. If you listen to "Holy Diver", you can hear things that Dio started with Sabbath (some even say that "Holy Diver" is what would have been expected if Dio had stayed with the Sabbs for one more album). You can tell exactly what he brought to the sound of the band that he took with him when he left.

Now listen to Ian Gillan's work during the 70s and early 80 with Deep Purple and Gillan and compare it back to back with "Born Again", what Gillan brought with him when he came with Sabbath will be obvious (hence the "Deep Sabbath" nickname the band was given by journalists at the time).

And now, compare the sound of "The Eternal Idol" and Tony Martin's "Scream" album. These two albums definitely share the same kind of sound and songwriting. And the only common point between these two records is that they were co-written by Geoff Nicholls (Tony Martin was only hired for the final recording of "The eternal Idol"). I'd say THIS is the point where Geoff's input on the songwriting became really important. "The Eternal Idol" really bears Geoff's signature.

Afterwards, on "Headless Cross" and "Tyr", his influence became a little less noticeable because Cozy Powell had taken over as Iommi's counterpower, like Dio and Gillan had done before.

Banned

I'm not discrediting what he accomplished. I'm just saying I don't think he didn't have a very big role in the Dio-era.
    Horrible ! How about keyboards on Die Young ? Geoff put the bass together for that cd and helped song writing !