Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Black Sabbath with Joe Lynn Turner

I personally think this would be a great combination, I always loved Joe's voice. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Black Sabbath with Joe Lynn Turner

Well just hearing him doing an Iron Maiden cover I think he be perfect with sabbath. Hmmmm maybe covering the Martin/Dio era. His voice isn't low enough to do Ozzy.
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

I think he would do great versions of Black Sabbath songs, particularly Martin era. But I can't see him doing an album with Iommi, at least not under the Sabbath name.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Hah. It would take balls of steel from Turner and Iommi after the public crucifixtion that he endured as Deep Purple's vocalist.

But Blackmore hired him. Twice. Which means Iommi will record with him before it's all over.

Just for the record, Turner is very good at what he does. He is a good, sometimes great, singer. Completely unsuitable for Sabbath however.

Joe Lynn Turner is a puzzler for me:
    - On one hand I cannot stand him or his voice (or the music) he put out whilst in Rainbow - I've tried but I cannot like it, the only good thing to come out of rainbow were the two instrumentals on difficult to cure and Street of Dreams.
    - However, I cannot help but enjoy most of Deep Purples Slaves and Masters album. His vocals here to me sound very good and sure it wasn't that "classic Purple" sound but the album is superior to Who Do We Think We Are, House of Blue Light, Abandon and alot of Rapture of the Deep.

I've heard the Iron Maiden cover (Aces High I think - on the Numbers from the Beast album where Ripper Owens does Flight of Icarus) and that wasn't bad either.

I don't think JLT should join any incarnation of Black Sabbath personally. If he were to team up with Iommi, it would be better done as a side project in the same manner as the Iommi/Hughes albums. This could be interesting if A) it was not done at the expense of the Iommi/Hughes partnership and B) if JLT sings more Hard Rock and less AOR.

So in short, in Black Sabbath - No, in a side project - Maybe.
    "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
    —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Sir Winston Churchill

It was 2 minutes to midnight, Aces High I can't remember
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg Hah. It would take balls of steel from Turner and Iommi after the public crucifixtion that he endured as Deep Purple's vocalist.

But Blackmore hired him. Twice. Which means Iommi will record with him before it's all over.

Just for the record, Turner is very good at what he does. He is a good, sometimes great, singer. Completely unsuitable for Sabbath however.
    Word. Iommi LOVES to hire those who have worked with Blackmore!
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Quote:
    think we'll ever get Iommi's Night
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man
    Quote:
    Dunno, but we already got Iommi's Nightmare.. A.k.A "1997 Reunion"...

Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Now I really want to hear Tony kicking ass on a double necked mandolin
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

I think JLT sucks, and as such, I hope Iommi doesn't come near this guy. Period.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Joe Lynn Turner is a good singer. However, he is not suited to heavy metal music at all. He would be great for a band like Foreigner.

I liked the Rainbow albums he did with them, but I thought he made a hash of the old Dio/Bonnet songs. He just doesn't have the power in his voice for that.

With Sabbath? No.

Since Jeff Scott Soto didn't work out for Journey, Neal Schon should be looking at JLT - and I say that with all sincerity, not as a put-down of either one.
    He is not here. He has risen!

I have tickets for Joe Lynn Turner in allentown in March. He is playing in a band called Big Noize. On drums is Vinny Appice. They will be doing some Sabbath and some songs from the Dio band. Can't wait to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By The Way, JLT is coming down here in June with Tony Martin... bite me!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

By The Way, JLT is coming down here in June with Tony Martin... bite me!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Originally Posted By: Steve152006 I personally think this would be a great combination, I always loved Joe's voice. What do you guys think?
    *yuck* Is what I think!
    God knows as your dognose

Originally Posted By: Steve152006 I personally think this would be a great combination, I always loved Joe's voice. What do you guys think?
    *yuck* Is what I think!
    God knows as your dognose

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg Hah. It would take balls of steel from Turner and Iommi after the public crucifixtion that he endured as Deep Purple's vocalist.

I totally agree. Personally, I think Blackmore should be ashamed of the way he treated people. Turner didn't deserve the contempt that he got, after recording the Purple, 'Slaves and Masters' album. And for the record, I don't care what anyone says. That album was a terrific album. I dearly wish there was another Purple album with Turner. That is actually one of my favourite Purple albums, and I think a lot better than the much lauded and overated 'Perfect Strangers' and 'The Battle Rages On'.

To me, the S&L album progresses Purple in some interesting new directions, whilst still being faithful to the basic hard rock Purple sound, (boo to all those who claim otherwise). Whilst TBRO and PF are just the same old same old. And even if you go back to the classic Purple albums such as 'In Rock', for sure there are 2 astronomically great tracks on that one. And the rest is oh so mediocre.

I also don't think that Turner would have been good for Sabbath. If he did an album with them, the songs wouldn't be bad or rubbish, it just wouldn't be Sabbath style. That's all.

But I like Turner as a person, vocalist and song writer and feel bad for the shit he's copped. He doesn't deserve all the crap piled on him.

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man
    Quote:

Ha ha ha. Yeah, can you imagine Iommi dressed in Medieval garb with a pointy feathered cap, singing ye olde folk songs?

And continuing on from my previous post, the 'Slaves and Masters' album pisses all over Purple's last and shittiest album: 'Rapture of the Deep'. Gosh, that was crap.

I can't believe the first time I heard that damn awful "Girls like that" song. Shit, that was some pop like diva crap I'd expect Britney Spears to sing.

Sorry to rant. I just really feel bad for the crap that 'Slaves and Masters' receives, and yet it's far better than many of Purples other albums.

*calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean*

Originally Posted By: airdance
    And continuing on from my previous post, the 'Slaves and Masters' album pisses all over Purple's last and shittiest album: 'Rapture of the Deep'. Gosh, that was crap.
    I feel absolutely the other way around. Slaves and Masters to me is almost unlistenable pop drivel, and Rapture has lots of solid rock songs.

Originally Posted By: Rover
    I feel absolutely the other way around. Slaves and Masters to me is almost unlistenable pop drivel, and Rapture has lots of solid rock songs.
    Well then Rover my friend, one of us has serious musical discernment issues, and needs our head examined.

I will look up the name of a good therapist for you. Or maybe send you to JLT. He will tell you what to do and show you the way.

Well then Rover my friend, one of us has serious musical discernment issues, and needs our head examined.

I will look up the name of a good therapist for you. Or maybe send you to JLT. He will tell you what to do and show you the way.

Maybe you both gotta maybe one appointment on the Rock And Roll Roctor.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Joe did a great work with Yngwie back in 88. His voice is melodic but can have an edge for harder music as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_mul6AYDA

I say, bring him on to Sabath and will see...

I can't see why your opinion is more valid than mine. Nor do I see why you could be talking down to me like that.

I can't see why your opinion is more valid than mine. Nor do I see why you could be talking down to me like that.
    People tend to look down those who support the underdogs, bro.. Ain't easy to be a spartan
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Banned

While I'm a huge JLT fan both with Rainbow & Purple (hated Fandango... Can't stand Malmsteen) I really don't think his voice would work in the structure of Sabbath... Or even with Iommi's guitar... His cover of Metallica's "Nothing Else matters' is pretty good though...

Originally Posted By: Wall 666 the two instrumentals on difficult to cure and Street of Dreams.
    ???? Street Of Dreams wasn't an instrumental... or an album title...

Banned

While I'm a huge JLT fan both with Rainbow & Purple (hated Fandango... Can't stand Malmsteen) I really don't think his voice would work in the structure of Sabbath... Or even with Iommi's guitar... His cover of Metallica's "Nothing Else matters' is pretty good though...

Originally Posted By: Wall 666 the two instrumentals on difficult to cure and Street of Dreams.
    ???? Street Of Dreams wasn't an instrumental... or an album title...

In some performances I find that JLT sounds a lot like a 1987 Tony Martin.

In some performances I find that JLT sounds a lot like a 1987 Tony Martin.

devilmaycare, I meant the two instrumentals of Difficult to Cure (the title track "Difficult to Cure" and though I forget what looks like the German element of the title..."Maybe Next Time") and the song "Street of Dreams" on what I think is the Bent Out of Shape album which I actually didn't mind too much vocally. Perhaps I could've worded it better.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

On the subject of Deep Purple, I will agree that bringing in JLT invigorated the band, I mean Blackmore's playing seemed to jump in creativity and he seemed more inspired. Likewise, I will agree that Deep Purple with Gillan does seem stagnant and a little boring but the only truly bad albums to come from the Gillan reuninions with and without Blackmore are House of Blue Light and Abandon. Perfect Strangers has grown on me alot and Battle Rages On is one of my faves and Purpendicular and Bananas are both great.

JLT added some much needed life to Deep Purple and whilst Slaves & Masters wasn't perfect, it showed a harder edge to JLT's vocals for the most part and is a better album than HoBL and Abandon.

However I wouldn't say Slaves & Masters was one of the bands best either when compared to Fireball, Machine Head or Burn. It was simply an album that the band needed to break the rut and a symptom of what was happening internally on the band.
    "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”

Sir Winston Churchill

devilmaycare, I meant the two instrumentals of Difficult to Cure (the title track "Difficult to Cure" and though I forget what looks like the German element of the title..."Maybe Next Time") and the song "Street of Dreams" on what I think is the Bent Out of Shape album which I actually didn't mind too much vocally. Perhaps I could've worded it better.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

On the subject of Deep Purple, I will agree that bringing in JLT invigorated the band, I mean Blackmore's playing seemed to jump in creativity and he seemed more inspired. Likewise, I will agree that Deep Purple with Gillan does seem stagnant and a little boring but the only truly bad albums to come from the Gillan reuninions with and without Blackmore are House of Blue Light and Abandon. Perfect Strangers has grown on me alot and Battle Rages On is one of my faves and Purpendicular and Bananas are both great.

JLT added some much needed life to Deep Purple and whilst Slaves & Masters wasn't perfect, it showed a harder edge to JLT's vocals for the most part and is a better album than HoBL and Abandon.

However I wouldn't say Slaves & Masters was one of the bands best either when compared to Fireball, Machine Head or Burn. It was simply an album that the band needed to break the rut and a symptom of what was happening internally on the band.

Sir Winston Churchill

Banned

I think he was joking bro.

Originally Posted By: Buttock1234 I think he was joking bro.
    Exactly. Lighten up Rover friend, I wasn't being serious, just speaking in jest. No offense intended. Besides, you yourself have said what a great bloke I am:

Originally Posted By: Rover Airdance, you are a great bloke!!!
    See?

Originally Posted By: Buttock1234 I think he was joking bro.
    Exactly. Lighten up Rover friend, I wasn't being serious, just speaking in jest. No offense intended. Besides, you yourself have said what a great bloke I am:

Originally Posted By: Rover Airdance, you are a great bloke!!!
    See?

Originally Posted By: airdance Personally, I think Blackmore should be ashamed of the way he treated people. Turner didn't deserve the contempt that he got, after recording the Purple, 'Slaves and Masters' album.
    It wasn't Blackmore who wanted Turner gone, just the opposite. He was already working on the follow up album to "Slaves and Masters" with Joe when the others ganged up on them. In fact Turner just made a guest appearance on Blackmore's latest record, so obviously they're cool with each other.

Originally Posted By: airdance Personally, I think Blackmore should be ashamed of the way he treated people. Turner didn't deserve the contempt that he got, after recording the Purple, 'Slaves and Masters' album.
    It wasn't Blackmore who wanted Turner gone, just the opposite. He was already working on the follow up album to "Slaves and Masters" with Joe when the others ganged up on them. In fact Turner just made a guest appearance on Blackmore's latest record, so obviously they're cool with each other.

Yeah, they wanted Gillan back for the 25th anniversary. I think I remember reading that the record company also put pressure on Blackmore about this as well.
    >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
    SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
    YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
    YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Originally Posted By: Ady Yeah, they wanted Gillan back for the 25th anniversary. I think I remember reading that the record company also put pressure on Blackmore about this as well.
    Reunions...
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

I never contemplated the horror of Joe Lynn Turner visiting Black Sabbath. After Turner's abysmal outing with Deep Purple on the horrendous Slaves & Masters album and the series of crappy candy-rock Rainbow records he appeared on, I'd have to be a bona fide Sabbath-hater to ever wish to have JLT wielding the band's mics in the studios. He just doesn't cut it with me as a heavy rock-metal singer and would be a total misfit for Sabbath. He's a pop-rock peddler suited to the likes of Foreigner or Journey, or whatever.

Joe had the extended ride with Rainbow because a suddenly gutless, greedy Ritchie Blackmore wanted him aboard his newly cash-grubbing commercial enterprise. And many of us early-Rainbow fans know all to well how the band went down the gutter real fast(not all JLT's fault, of course). I can't imagine Tony Iommi, after so badly erring in ever hiring Tony Martin,(is IMO necessary? I never think it is) would risk a far worse blunder by considering someone as woefully inadequate for his band as a Joe Lynn Turner is. But then again, Tony did indulge in a soprano a.k.a Glenn Hughes, so who knows what would happen if Joe had ever offered to help.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne