View Poll Results: Born Again Vs. Seventh Star?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Born Again

121 74.23%
  • Seventh Star

42 25.77%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

7th Star, pretty good record, my only complaint it's too short, needed another song at least. Born Again is almost unlistenable to me...all the rediculous Gillen screaching, lack luster songs, worst album ever made IMO under the BS name.

Neither album is very high on my list, but of the two, I prefer Born Again. I think BA had to potential to be a great album, but the sound quality sucks, and the lyrics are a joke. Seventh Star is basically a Iommi solo album, as it was originally intended to be.
    Life Member of the NRA

Quote Originally Posted by metalwarrior View Post
    Born Again is one of my favorite Sabbath albums but the production and sound quality is very poor. However, Seventh Star had better production, it has better songs, and the album is better as a whole. I just got back from Egypt and I had a chance to listen to the title track over there. I did not have a chance to listen to it at the Pyramids (I did listen to Iron Maiden's Powerslave title track over there though and I also heard it live at a show I was at in June of 2008 which was why I listened to the Powerslave track) but I did listen to it a couple of times in Cairo along with Sphinx (The Guardian) and Danger Zone.
    Listening to Egyptian themed metal songs in Egypt,how cool is that,other cool Middle Eastern themed ones would have been Rainbows "Babylon" and Iced Earth's "Im-Ho-Tep ",but definitely avoid Grave Digger's "Fanatic Assassins"LOL,that one could get you shot !

Seriously though,listening to Seventh Star AT the pyramids would be cool,another good one mood-wise would be Purple's "Perfect Strangers",that duh duh dunt part would sound cool floating over the desert sands........
    Something's calling me back,Like a light in the black
    Yes, I'm ready to go,I'm coming home, home, yeah
    I've got my way back home,To the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbath Steve View Post
    Listening to Egyptian themed metal songs in Egypt,how cool is that,other cool Middle Eastern themed ones would have been Rainbows "Babylon" and Iced Earth's "Im-Ho-Tep ",but definitely avoid Grave Digger's "Fanatic Assassins"LOL,that one could get you shot !
    Dio's "The Chain's are on" would be a good choice too.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Question

Hard choice 2 completely different sounding albums-in for the kill,danger zone great songs the rest so-so,born much better songs all the way through but sounds like shit.I just dont know.

Born Again!!

No contest there, BA is one the most underrated albums of all time.. the title track is pure geious from beginning to the end and the rest of the album doesnt have anything to be ashamed of either.. just love this album.

7th star isnt bad either but it only has a couple real good songs for me
    Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItWarm View Post
    Born Again is my favourite Black Sabbath album of all time.
    Now we're talkin' Its my fave album and tour too. I wish there was a pro shot video of this tour...
    When will you show me a sign
    When will you throw me a line

An easy choice for me picking Born Again, but I do have a soft spot for 7th as it was my first Sabbath concert and I got to see the Immortal Ray Gillen sing for Sabbath. Also he sang the Sabbath classics better than Ian any day of the week, especially the Dio stuff.

\m/

Born Again is one of my favorite Sabbath albums of all time whereas Seventh Star is one of my least favorites of all time. Not even close for me.

Thumbsup im kinda ozzy

im more of a 70's ozzy kinda sabbath guy but from the 80's i do like i enjoyed born again more than seventh star

Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Born Again for me.

I saw Sabbath in 85 or 86 (with Ray Gillen) and they were still selling the Born Again tour programs on that tour!
    I saw them at Hammersmith, and was pissed off about the programme. Like a dick, I still bought it though. Zeno were a fucking awesome support act too.

My vote is Born Again. I personally think it's a pretty good album. Maybe not their greatest work but still good. To be fair to 7th star, I haven't listened to that in years so maybe I should check it out again. Sad part is I have it on cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by taxidriver1974 View Post
    Like a dick, I still bought it though.
    Me too

I saw em in Birmingham - it was a dismal turn out for their home town show. Zeno weren't received very well. I loved it all though, it was my first Sabbath gig.

I can't vote as I like both quite a bit. The wild and raucous Born Again and the moody Seventh Star are too dissimilar, and both have their brilliant tracks and one or two not-so great tracks.

People talk about the horrible production of Born Again, but I think Seventh Star really needs a complete remix. It's ruined by a horrible 80's over-production style that makes the drums sound like a drum-machine, and just glams everything up. I think fans would have a much better appreciation of this album if Iommi gave it a much needed facelift.

Seventh Star for me,I don't like all the screaming Gillan does on Born Again.
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

I always thought Born Again had more in common with the classic era of Sabbath than anything they did with Dio or Martin. Outside the first five or six albums with Ozzy, it's my favorite Sabbath record.

I wouldn't say Seventh Star is horrible, though - unless you consider it a Sabbath album. Taken on its own as it was intended to be (a Iommi solo record), it's not so bad.

I love born again, see nothing wrong with it.

I never "got" Seventh Star and am not a big fan of the mid 80's rock sound ('84 - '86 is largely a rock dead zone). It has some merit, but my be my least favorite Sabbath (or Iommi) album.

As for Born Again, I like it quite a bit and always cringe when Gillan or another band member dismisses it.

I went with Born Again as it is one of two of my favorite non Ozzy Sabbath records. I love everything about it BA. After saying that I do have a soft spot in my heart for Seventh Star because it introduced me to the wonderful Glenn Hughes. I am a huge fan of his solo work. My vote is no way a downer on Seventh Star as it is the celebration of the awsomeness of Born Again.

As far as I'm concerned, Seventh Star completely destroys Born Again. Gillan just doesn't work with the Sabbath sound, although I love him in Deep Purple (In Rock is my favourite Deep Purple album). The only REALLY good song on Born Again Zero the Hero, which I absolutely adore, and consider quite possibly one of the best, if not the best post-ozzy era song. The rest of the album is passable. Thing is, Born Again contains some pretty awful songs like Digital Bitch and Keep it Warm.
    And yes, I LOVE Hughes as the singer. It suites the Seventh Star sound damn perfectly. Song like Turn to Stone, In for the Kill, Danger Zone are absolutely amazing.
    (my avatar, says everything )

Default for me

born again. my "dream line up" when gillan peaked, "side1" is out of this world. love seventh star too, especially opening track, title track and heart like a wheel.

I might regret this in a few weeks but... I chose Seventh Star.

They are both in the top 20 in my all time favorite album list though. In the end I think that it is Born Again's production that ruins it for me. Seventh Star feels like such a clear album with a good flow, just lay back and close your eyes and let Eric Singers drums fill your ears followed by the lyrics "Thunder Shattered the Dawn" etc, and after that it is more or less a calmer dreamy album with GREAT lyrics. The one who really shines here is probably Geoff Nicholls, such an underestimated musician, at least if I got it right what parts he contributed with (synth parts, some structural parts and some lyrics).

Born Again also kicks off with a great opening track (even though it really just is Communication Breakdown backwards and with horrible production, it sounds great). This album has way more life and energy in it, and I would chose the BA tour over the Seventh Star one any day. Geoff does a great job here too, but the lyrics are not as good as in Seventh Star (all of them written by Gillan I guess).

There is however one thing that these albums have in common. The title tracks. They are just... epic... And now I am not talking about being well structured or written in a very talented way or anything. I just think that they... found something when they wrote Born Again, same with Seventh Star. The lyrics in both are just plain amazing, I can hardly believe Gillan wrote the lyrics for BA... and the atmosphere is just perfect, these two songs are for me strong examples of how you shouldn't strive for playing faster and louder, but reach something else deeper. This atmosphere is only somewhat found later on the 1990 album TYR, during the song "Odin's Court", but in a faded version.

Even though I love these albums almost equally, I must admit that I am glad that Gillan left sabbath to make Seventh Star possible, I just believe that the Gillan line up could never have kept on on the same level, sadly. Also when comparing them as singers, Gillan and Hughes are both probably the strongest candidates there is for the second place in the worlds best singers in all time. If you want to know who is the best, see my signature.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Both albums take place in a strange time for the band. I think they're both good albums. I actually think Born Again has some REALLY heavy and dark themes, possibly ahead of its time, and what can i say about Seventh Star? well, considering it was not intended to be released under the Sabbath banner and Glenn's health was at a low point i think it holds out well, becaue we all know Glenn and Tony can and have made better music! Can i hear some love for Fused and 96 sessions??
    If your out on a lonely highway, if you travel on a rolling light, don't come to me for comfort, i'm alright

Quote Originally Posted by Fused1990 View Post
    Both albums take place in a strange time for the band. I think they're both good albums. I actually think Born Again has some REALLY heavy and dark themes, possibly ahead of its time, and what can i say about Seventh Star? well, considering it was not intended to be released under the Sabbath banner and Glenn's health was at a low point i think it holds out well, becaue we all know Glenn and Tony can and have made better music! Can i hear some love for Fused and 96 sessions??
    Personally I believe Seventh Star is like 93276825476085608254 times better than fused and/or the 96 sessions. But that's just me.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Born Again by a mile.

I agree with Josef that Seventh Star is better than the Dep Sessions...I think that album would have been better not to published...ever. Fused on the otherhand...really good...great riffs by Tony. Glenn...well...he's being himself...I personally don't like him so...
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

Born Again. No Contest. But then, as might be fairly well known in these Forums, I don't consider SS to be a Black Sabbath album.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Dio's "The Chain's are on" would be a good choice too.
    As would MSG's "Desert Song"
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

I picked Seventh Star. The production is much better than on the Born Again album. Born Again is so uneven. Some songs are good and some songs are really chessy sounding. You would figure at that stage of their career they would get the production right on BA ,whether if they put out a good album or a bad one. They got it right on the 2 albums before that one . What happened? I tried to like BA but i just cant get into it. I have listened to BA four times in 20 years since i bought it and cant stand it. I have listened to Seventh Star once and found i enjoyed it alot, though not a perfect album.
    Last edited by scorpio 2000; 03-15-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Love them both but its no contest for me. Born Again.

I worship Born Again. There is no shrine to Seventh Star in my world. But I do enjoy it for what it is : A Tony Iommi Solo Album

Born Again hands down!! Any true Sabbath fan knows this. Seventh Star is also good and underrated, but it just does not compare to Born Again..........Btw, and don't quote me on this 'cause it was a long time ago, but I understand that much of Seventh Star was written by Tony Iommi for Ian Gillan to sing. Can you not picture/hear Ian Gillan singing those songs??
    Last edited by terminator22; 04-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.

BORN AGAIN!!!!

No contest....

I love them both, despite that they are very different . Multifaceted talent of Tony .

I love them both as well. But I voted for Born Again, just like the harder songs on it and overall metal quality to the album. Seventh Star is excellent though especially the Deluxe Edition.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

I LOVE Seventh Star as it was the first Sabbath album I bought and first Sabbath tour I saw, but I have to give it to Born Again. I remember playing it in my shed(clubhouse) with one of my friends at night and we were so freaked out by Disturbing the Priest we had to turn it off. (I was like 15). It's an evil sounding album.

Two completely different albums. Born Again was the last Sabbath album until 1992. It's a good, heavy sounding record. Seventh Star is Iommi has a solo artist. SS is also a good album that stands on it's own, not has a Sabbath album. Both albums have great songs on them.
    Robert McAfee

their both really good

born again has all original sabbath members excluding original vocalist plus ian gillan from deep purple, deep purple is a really good band it had only 1 sweet album the album is reallly cool and some cool dude made a cool fan site for it seventh star is really good it was originally ment to be solo album by tony iommi because he is the only original sabbath member the rest of the albums he did with glenn hughes is under the name "iommi" seventh star is my favriot one with both tony iommi and glenn hughes they all sound good

Have to go with Born Again. Seventh Star just doesn't hold up very well, though BA isn't that great either to be honest. But SS still has some amazing songs.

Born Again by a mile

Quote Originally Posted by rmdouglas27 View Post
    Two completely different albums. Born Again was the last Sabbath album until 1992. It's a good, heavy sounding record. Seventh Star is Iommi has a solo artist. SS is also a good album that stands on it's own, not has a Sabbath album. Both albums have great songs on them.
    So your criteria for a Sabbath album seems to be Iommi on guitar, and Geezer on Bass. To an extent I can agree with that, but do you consider Cross Purposes a Sabbath album because Geezer was on bass?

Other than the title track of seventh star which stand above pretty much every song on Born Again for me. I think that Born again has much better songs overall.
    How was I to know it was "kiss the world with winter flowers"?