Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    93

    Default Never Say Die Gig - Opening Act Thrown Off Stage

    I was fortunate enough to see the original Sabbath twice in the late 70's- The Tech Ec Tour and The Ten Tear Anniversary Never Say Die Tour - both in the town I'm from, San Bernardino, California, at the Swing Auditorium venue. The Never Say Die gig did not have Van Halen opening the show, as was the norm on most of the tour. This was because their first lp was selling very well and the band is from Pasadena, which is about an hour's drive west from here in San Bernardino- so they had quite a loyal local so. calif. fan base, and I assume they headlined their own show around that time.
    Anyway, the opening act, believe it or not, was THE RAMONES, and they weren't very well liked by the San Bernardino crowd. Insults and the finger weren't the only thing lobbed at them, as the stage was bombarded with trash and a bottle or two. The result was that right after thr third number began, one of their roadies ran out on the stage and ushered them off- the crowd went nuts!!!!! I wasnt before then, nor am I now a Ramones fan ( they suck!), so I'm not qualified to say, but I will anyway, that was probably the best Ramones show ever ( cause it didn't last long!)

  2. #2

    Default

    I think you're being very unfair to The Ramones. They were one of the most important bands in rock history and pioneered the whole punk movement. Short blast of energitic riffing imbued with pop sensibility. Were they great musicians? No. Were they great songwriters? Absolutely yes.

    They had that gang mentality about them, despite being four very different characters. Joey, that big shy gawky-looking bloke who looked the least likely person to become a rock star but somehow did. Johnny, the cold calculating taskmaster who kept the band on the road for 22 years. Although his guitar technique was largely limited to powechrod strumming, it takes a lot of talent to make that style come alive and he had his own unique sound. You could certainly have made a case for him being the most influential player alive when he was at the height of his powers. The maverick, and ultimately tragic figure of Dee Dee, who penned many of their best-known songs, his sparse lyrics reflecting his own troubled existence. And sensible Tommy at the back keeping the beat.

    It's easy to dismiss what The Ramones played but I've heard a lot of bands trying to cover their material and it often sounds totally unconvincing. They always went down well in Europe but never really rose above cult status in their native America.

    Sabbath and Ramones - I love them both.

  3. #3

    Default

    Totally agree. The Ramones are a very influential band. Some great songs, check out "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" on Rocket to Russia.

    Hope I don't upset anyone with this, but there are two types of Sabbath fans: music fans and heavy metal fans.

    The latter are so narrow-minded sometimes it's unbelievable.

  4. #4

    Default

    I remember being extremely embarrassed at a Blue Oyster Cult gig in 1978/9, where Japan supported and nearly got booed off the stage because...


    ...they were different. Not rubbish, but different.


    I wasn't a fan at the time, but could tell the difference between rubbsih and different. However, the average Glasgow rock / metal crowd thought differently.


    All styles of music are good, though there are crap bands in each genre.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    93

    Default

    hey Mythology.....if you think i am of the latter "heavy metal" fan- you are wrong. my favorite bands are : Beatles (Lennon, Harrison solo), Queen (and related solo), Sabbath, Ozzy, Alice Cooper, Purple w/Gillan, Floyd w/Waters, Roger Waters solo, Chuck Berry, Danzig, CCR, The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, old REO, old Styx, Simon and Garfunkel, Judas Priest, Jim Croce, America, so how's that for "narrow-minded"? I take it there are not any bands who you think "suck"? It's all, of course, a matter of opinion, and Imy opinion happens to think The Ramones "suck"!
    Last edited by sabbathite; 09-25-2009 at 11:31 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    I know your post wasn't pointed at me, but I can see punk isn't on your radar, so can understand where you come from, but the Ramones were quality at what they did. Each to their own, I guess.

  7. #7
    mikesline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    that would have been cool to see sabbs in a little auditorium,i seen them on
    10ann tour at anahiem stadium ,so a auditorium would have been great !
    and it would have been cool to throw something at the romones -keep them sodated !

  8. #8
    kamikazetom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesline View Post
    that would have been cool to see sabbs in a little auditorium,i seen them on
    10ann tour at anahiem stadium ,so a auditorium would have been great !
    and it would have been cool to throw something at the romones -keep them sodated !
    It's never cool to throw anything at a band
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

  9. #9
    mikesline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    hey thier punkers they should expect that !!

  10. #10
    kamikazetom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,230

    Default

    This show (Black Sabbath + the Ramones) was one of those weird concert pairings - I saw something similiar in Austin - Stevie Ray Vaughan opened for the Clash on the Combat Rock tour & had beer bottles thrown at him & was spat on - not his fault - he was just booked to open for the wrong band - I saw the never say die tour with VH opening in San Antonio - as much as I like Sabbath I thought they were boring as hell - one of the worst shows I have ever seen
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

  11. #11

    Default

    I've never understood the divisions between metal and punk. It's all rock music at the end of the day.

  12. #12
    sn0wb1ind0zzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axe grinder View Post
    Sabbath and Ramones - I love them both.
    Sabbath + Ramones = BLACK FLAG :D

  13. #13
    fishtowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    601

    Default

    What pussies. The sex pistol would have continued to play even if they were hit in the head with a bottle.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishtowner View Post
    What pussies. The sex pistol would have continued to play even if they were hit in the head with a bottle.
    Yep ! And while the other three would have gone on with the show, Sid would have beat the shit out of half of the audience with his bass !
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

  15. #15
    Ryan Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Park Hills, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesline View Post
    hey thier punkers they should expect that !!
    This mentality is part of something that has seriously limited some rock scenes. Are punkers always great attractions? Absolutely not, especially given a lot of their often macabre and totally ruthless lyrics, and thuddy rhythms. However, they, just like a band once called Black Sabbath, play music that means something to them. If one can't respect that and give them their own space, then that individual needs see what it's like to get something thrown AT THEM. Period.

    I absolutely do NOT endorse disrespect to a band just because their style differs from their headlining act, or just because their style is different altogether, in a general sense. Does this mean I might LIKE their music? No, that doesn't, but it doesn't mean I'm going to start throwing shit at the band just because they're different.

    Now, if they're being disrespectful and snotty, then maybe they deserve to be brought back down to earth. Still, I don't think that's really too often a case for a group who wants success, right?

    Anyway, rant is over.

  16. #16

    Default

    Sabbathite....... As I said in the original post it wasn't meant to upset anyone and certainly wasn't directed at you. Just a general observation. Mainly of some of my friends!!

    I have to say though that the proof of your eclectic taste did amuse me a little. Basically you like hard and soft rock.

    No Aretha Franklin?? No Miles Davis? No Scott Walker?

  17. #17
    mikesline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Porter View Post
    This mentality is part of something that has seriously limited some rock scenes. Are punkers always great attractions? Absolutely not, especially given a lot of their often macabre and totally ruthless lyrics, and thuddy rhythms. However, they, just like a band once called Black Sabbath, play music that means something to them. If one can't respect that and give them their own space, then that individual needs see what it's like to get something thrown AT THEM. Period.

    I absolutely do NOT endorse disrespect to a band just because their style differs from their headlining act, or just because their style is different altogether, in a general sense. Does this mean I might LIKE their music? No, that doesn't, but it doesn't mean I'm going to start throwing shit at the band just because they're different.

    Now, if they're being disrespectful and snotty, then maybe they deserve to be brought back down to earth. Still, I don't think that's really too often a case for a group who wants success, right?

    Anyway, rant is over.
    sorry you took it so hard,really i know its not cool to throw shit at band
    i

  18. #18

    Default

    Well, there are music fans, metal fans, and punk rock fans. Most of the punkers of the 80's in the US showed little tolerance for metal, but its all aggressive rock music. Not to mention, punk influenced metal hugely, if it werent for punk, extreme metal wouldnt have lifted off. Doom metal, sure, but thrash metal - nope.

  19. #19

    Default

    Who said they're "punkers?" They were, in their minds, a rock band. They started in '75 and just wanted to play raw rock like the Stooges and Dictators were already doing. IMHO, the two greatest American bands are the Ramones and Cheap Trick, but hey, what do I know. I have HUGE respect for the Ramones, but I fully understand why a beer-swilling rock crowd wouldn't take to a band KNOWN for short/fast songs when they were there to see a band most famous for plodding rockers like War Pigs and Iron Man. Sheesh!

    1-2-3-4!
    PAULIE

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Yep ! And while the other three would have gone on with the show, Sid would have beat the shit out of half of the audience with his bass !
    Most use that bass ever got.

    I really liked the Ramones so it is really sad to see so much bias from concert goers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •