Default Wheel of confusion - the ending

I have noticed that the sanctuary remaster of volume 4 for the song Wheels of confusion has a little extra music on the end of the track. But on the Black Box version it is not on it. Can anyone explain this.

Quote Originally Posted by intothevoid66 View Post
    I have noticed that the sanctuary remaster of volume 4 for the song Wheels of confusion has a little extra music on the end of the track. But on the Black Box version it is not on it. Can anyone explain this.

I'm not sure why that is, but all I can say what a bloody travesty! "Wheels of Confusion" is just not the same without that magnificent ending, "The Straighterner". I can only summise to say that it is done to gain extra time on the rest of the album for other music. But it is really selling Sabbath short to alter their songs like that. It would be like the song "Heaven and Hell" without Iommi's acoustic outro at the end.

Or like buying a Rolls Royce without the Spirit of Ecstasy bonnet mascot. It just isn't complete without it.

I don't have the "Black Box", but as far as I know, "The Straightener" is on it. I think what Intothevoid66 was talking about were the few extra seconds that are as the very end of the song. These could be explained by the fact that the "Black Box" records were made using the Warner Bros master tapes, while the Sanctuary remasters were made using the Castle master tapes (that Castle got from Vertigo), which are apparently slightly different and on which "Wheels of Confusion" was cut a few seconds later than on the Warner masters.

Two sets of masters, that's the reason why.
    Last edited by Gardener; 02-01-2010 at 05:09 AM.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Thanks Gardener for the info. That explains it.

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I don't have the "Black Box", but as far as I know, "The Straightener" is on it. I think what Intothevoid66 was talking about were the few extra seconds that are as the very end of the song. These could be explained by the fact that the "Black Box" records were made using the Warner Bros master tapes, while the Sanctuary remasters were made using the Castle master tapes (that Castle got from Vertigo), which are apparently slightly different and on which "Wheels of Confusion" was cut a few seconds later than on the Warner masters.

Two sets of masters, that's the reason why.
    The record deals that comprise these two masters run all the way through The Eternal Idol. I wonder if they'll keep going with this remaster series.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Just for the record: The new Sanctuary Deluxe Remaster does not feature the extra 9 or so seconds of echoing material at the end of "Wheels of Confusion". This follows on the US original LPs, the original CD, and the Rhino remaster.

Only the '92 Castle remasters have that, though I've been told that other vinyl editions might have featured it, I don't know from what countries. Perhaps someone who has the UK vinyl can tell us if it's on there.

(Note: We're not talking about "The Straightener" portion of the song, which is included in every iteration, but a nine-second ghost echo it that comes after a second or two of silence after "The Straightener" has concluded)

Quote Originally Posted by thesithempire View Post
    Just for the record: The new Sanctuary Deluxe Remaster does not feature the extra 9 or so seconds of echoing material at the end of "Wheels of Confusion". This follows on the US original LPs, the original CD, and the Rhino remaster.

Only the '92 Castle remasters have that, though I've been told that other vinyl editions might have featured it, I don't know from what countries. Perhaps someone who has the UK vinyl can tell us if it's on there.

(Note: We're not talking about "The Straightener" portion of the song, which is included in every iteration, but a nine-second ghost echo it that comes after a second or two of silence after "The Straightener" has concluded)
    I can confirm that it's included on the original UK LP. I was shocked when I first heard it, as Rob Dwyvers works at Sabbathlive never said anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Halkbi View Post
    I can confirm that it's included on the original UK LP. I was shocked when I first heard it, as Rob Dwyvers works at Sabbathlive never said anything about it.
    Are you sure? From what I've read on other forums it appeared for the first time on the U.K. NEMS pressings in 1976. It does not appear on the original Vertigo nor WWA pressings - from what I've read - I don't own any of these to say for certain myself.
    montreal '86 / montreal '92 / montreal '94 / toronto '99
    montreal '07 / quebec '07 / ottawa '07 / toronto '08 / philadelphia '13 / ottawa '14

@drapes - I can confirm you're right it's on the NEMS pressing - that's the one I have. But I can't confirm either way about the original pressing, as sadly i don't have it.

I'm just listening to the '96 Castle/'04 Sanctuary remaster, the silently echoing melody riff starts after a swift moment of complete silence, running from 8:02 until 8:14.

The Straightener part itself starts with a huge wall of a riff and the background melody of this very pattern, of course the whispering outro is an integral part of the song, a moment remembrance of the song's atmosphere.

It's the little things.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

I have both Warner and Castle, the American version doesnít have The Straightener at the end after the silent pause, only the import has it.

Itís not the same without it, I prefer the Castle version.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)