Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just finished my 4th run with everything Dio-esque from 1983 - 1992...it's just so fantastic period in his music, so many of his best tunes...I knew I would get stuck...
    "HALLOWEEN RIFFS, WALL-TO-WALL GUITARS"

Another "intermission" of sorts...all because I had some albums in line to be listened to...

Ratt - Out Of The Cellar/Invasion Of Your Privacy/Infestation
    Motley Crue -Shout At The Devil
    Venom - Resurrection/Hell

Now, the fantastic Dio-esque season 1983 - 1992, fifth run...get ready, set...

STAND UP AND SHOUT!!!!!

What luck!

Otherworld from the Magica album. It's got this real trippy atmosphere in it that's not like any other Dio song I've heard, even though my exposure to most of the Dio material is slightly lmited.

I have a playlist on my iPod that is all Dio (Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio and Heaven & Hell) I have been listening to this in shuffle mode everyday for the last week or so. On my way to work, at work, on the drive home. Has helped me a great deal.

I have been jumping to "Electra" quite a bit. Love the song, and sad that we will never hear another great song from Ronnie.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Quote Originally Posted by H&H View Post
    sad that we will never hear another great song from Ronnie.
    Don't be surprised if there is eventually a release of new material with the DIO logo on it. I have no way of knowing this, of course, but I have a feeling that Ronnie had a few other songs, perhaps for Magica, that he made arrangements to have released if he should pass. I'm sure there will plenty of speculation on this board in the months ahead on this matter, but I have a gut feeling we will see some new stuff eventually.

Black Sabbath - Turn Up The Night (Live in 1981)

It's a real shame that this great song wasn't played live more often, but I remember Ronnie mentioning in an interview once that it was just way to hard to sing live so the had to cut it from the set list. Which I can easily imagine to be true...

A great album opener though, really fast and furious...great riff and the vocals...oh my...Ronnie is really going all in on this one. A great example of the unique vocal talents of Ronnie.
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

Currently, "Rainbow in the Dark" from the "Holy Diver - Live" album.

LOCK UP THE WOLVES

Another massive song of epic mastery from Dio. Heavy riffs, the great mountains & vast valleys of Dio's voice...

I love the whole album, it has so much uniqueness in it all around.

Black Sabbath - Children Of The Sea (Live 1992)

This is the song that started the epical journey of Dio fronted Black Sabbath and which really resulted in the new rise of the band after hitting rock bottom with Ozzy. Heaven And Hell was the return to the classic Sabbath sound, heavy and doomy and fast. And Children Of The Sea is one of those songs that captured everything Sabbath was ever about. All the classic Sabbath elements are there and in addition Ronnie's powerful and masterful lyrics.

The album version is a masterpiece in it's own right, but I always felt that this song really came alive when played live....This is a Sabbath anthem right there alongside older songs like Black Sabbath, War Pigs and N.I.B...This song was made to be played live. I remember when Tony started playing the intro to this on both occations I saw them live 2007 and 2009 it brought tears to my eyes...such an emotional song from the first notes...One of the best songs on the entire Black Sabbath catalogue.
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

Heavy blues rocking excellence...

EVIL ON QUEEN STREET

"We Rock" live from "Intermission"

Default O-oh...

...Hide in The Rainbow!!!
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

A couple of days ago I finished my 5th run with the era 1983 - 1992, it's been a massive ride so far in the loving memory of Dio. For the last couple of days I've been listening to some Gary Moore & ZZ Top albums again as an intermission of sorts. I'll launch this one of the greatest Dio-esque eras once more before moving on the next era, 1993 - 2005.

Next up: STARS

What a great song, it's got everything from a powerful main riff through great vocals to nice solos. I fell in love with this song on day one, many years ago. I hope they include this as a remastered digital version on the upcoming Stars 2DVD release so that we could also have this as an audio track & with a clearer sound...I have the vinyl version, but I guess the vinyl & the player could be somewhat better...Well, I guess I have to be satisfied with the vinyl & some youtube download that I have...
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 06-16-2010 at 06:05 PM.

The 6th run with the era 1983 - 1992 is soon at end. Evil On Queen Street once again, what a powerful slab of heavy blues excellence!!!

Before I move on to the special Dio-esque set below, I'll have a special anniversary studio & live set:

Opening special guest act:

Judas Priest
    - British Steel (30th anniversary remaster CD & live show DVD)

Headliner act:

Black Sabbath
    - Heaven And Hell (30th anniversary remaster CD & bonus live CD)
    - Mob Rules (30th anniversary remaster CD & Live At Hammersmith)
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 06-23-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Youtube is awesome. I can see Dio solo live anytime I want. Dio's voice will always haunt me, and I'll gladly will accept him in my mind any day.

Egypt (The Chains Are On)/Children Of The Sea Live.

Right now I have on "Holy Evil" Live from Fresno California, 1983. It is an ROIO.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

2 hour Dio tribute (House of Hair) on WRIF in Detroit. You can listen at www.wrif.com

Default Unbelievable...

I recently re-made my Dio-esque mp3 collection from my discs and now I started compiling a definitive best of set into WinAmp by choosing the best 3 out of every album in chronological order, coupled with few separate but obligatory specialities...incidentally, the track count reached 67...

This is for Dio from a true fan of Dio, I'll surely enjoy this setlist of my personal favourites in his honour:

Elf - Ain't It All Amusing
    Elf - Annie New Orleans
    Elf - Rainbow
    Roger Glover And Guests - Love Is All
    Elf - Prentice Wood
    Elf - Good Time Music
    Elf - Wonderworld
    Rainbow - Man On The Silver Mountain
    Rainbow - Catch The Rainbow
    Rainbow - The Temple Of The King
    Rainbow - Tarot Woman
    Rainbow - Starstruck
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Still I'm Sad (On Stage)
    Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
    Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon
    Rainbow - Kill The King
    Dio - Kerry Livgren - To Live For The King
    Black Sabbath - Children Of The Sea
    Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
    Black Sabbath - Die Young
    Black Sabbath - The Sign of the Southern Cross
    Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules (enhanced)
    Black Sabbath - Falling Off the Edge of the World
    Dio - Holy Diver
    Dio - Don't Talk To Strangers
    Dio - Rainbow In The Dark
    Dio - The Last In Line
    Dio - One Night In The City
    Dio - Egypt (The Chains Are On)
    Dio - Sacred Heart
    Dio - Rock 'n' Roll Children
    Dio - Hungry For Heaven
    Dio - Stars
    Dio - Time To Burn

Dio - All The Fools Sailed Away
    Dio - I Could Have Been A Dreamer
    Dio - Faces In The Window
    Dio - Born On The Sun
    Dio - Lock Up The Wolves
    Dio - Why Are They Watching Me
    Black Sabbath - Computer God
    Black Sabbath - Time Machine
    Black Sabbath - I
    Dio - Strange Highways
    Dio - Hollywood Black
    Dio - Pain
    Dio - Malmsteen - Dream On
    Dio - Lord Of The Last Day
    Dio - Fever Dreams
    Dio - Turn To Stone
    Dio - Killing The Dragon
    Dio - Push
    Dio - Guilty
    Dio - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Dio - Master Of The Moon
    Dio - The Man Who Would Be King
    Dio - The Eyes
    Eddie Ojeda - Tonight (featuring Ronnie James Dio)
    Black Sabbath - The Devil Cried
    Black Sabbath - Shadow Of The Wind
    Black Sabbath - Ear In The Wall
    Heaven & Hell - Atom and Evil
    Heaven & Hell - Bible Black
    Heaven & Hell - Follow the Tears
    Dio - Electra
    Dio - David Feinstein - Metal Will Never Die

Shadow Of The Wind

Dio - Eriel (Live 2000)

The Magica Tour was a great one. They played a lot of songs that hadn't been played in a loooong time, or ever before, like Invisible, Gypsy, One Night In The City, All The Fools Sailed Away and ofcourse almost the full Magica album, which is (and has always been) one of my favourite concept albums of all time. Probably one of the high points (if not even the high water mark) of Ronnie's song writing...it is not the easiest concept to get into since it's not as straight forward and simple lyric wise as lets say Mindcrime but it has so many layers on it and the story is very strong.

I was really looking forward to the conclusion but unfortunately that never came...but atleast we got the brilliant Electra...

It was a great idea from Ronnie to play almost the whole album live. I think the only song that never got played was Turn To Stone...which was unfortunate since it's one of the best ones on the album...but then again this one hasn't got a bad song on it....

4th run with the era 1993 - 2005, man this is one damnably strong season in the Dio-esque history, so many powerful & sweeping songs in the best traditions of Dio...

Pressed the "shuffle" button, the theme started by "Jesus, Mary & The Holy Ghost", now playing "Before The Fall"...

As Long As It's Not About Love...

Oh, nice memories from the last 10 years...I remember when I first heard this album & song back at my old friend's, I came to the music room and BANG!!! I was amazed of the power of the album "Magica", it was the first newly released Dio album for me (I started listening to everything Dio sometime in '98 and I've been forever hooked ever since), even then with the "apprentice level" knowledge of & familiarity with Dio (but what a passion I had from the very beginning, it was a roller coaster & whirwind that has lasted until this day) I was to state that "Dio has returned to his more classic style & sound" after the more venturous albums "Strange Highways" and especially "Angry Machines".

I love the album "Magica", it's one of Dio's masterpieces. And it's heavier than hell and it has some of Dio's finest moments as a songwriter & vocalist.

1993 - 2005...5th run...shuffled up...

Time to be KILLING THE DRAGON again!!!

The #1 chronological run with the final era of Dio...the shortest of the many Dio-esque seasons and I'll guess I'll be stuck with this for a while...but maybe this is the most powerful & heaviest ever imaginable in the world of heavy metal. The new songs on the albums "The Dio Years" & "The Devil You Know" showcase the moment when Dio, Iommi, Butler & Appice arose to the top of heavy metal for the one last time.

Heaven & Hell - Atom And Evil
    Heaven & Hell - Fear
    Heaven & Hell - Double The Pain
    Heaven & Hell - Rock And Roll Angel
    Heaven & Hell - The Turn Of The Screw
    Heaven & Hell - Eating The Cannibals
    Heaven & Hell - Follow The Tears
    Heaven & Hell - Neverwhere
    Heaven & Hell - Breaking Into Heaven
    Dio - Electra
    Dio & David Feinstein - Metal Will Never Die

2nd run, shuffled up...

Heaven & Hell - Fear
    Dio - Electra

You know it's a devastating riff...You know it's a searing solo...

Dio sings with the power of the solar wind & the breath from the star nebula...

---------- Post added 07-06-2010 at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-05-2010 at 10:47 PM ----------

3rd run finishing up for today by the last song of the shuffle, this song is absolute majesty with a heavy riff bombardment, the heart-splitting blues solo truly makes my soul ache starting from 3:01...until the heavyness strikes again with a devastating steamhammer starting from 3:50...

Heaven & Hell - Fear
    Dio - Electra

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Now I'm going to rumble my walls & mind with the Deluxe Editions, it's going to be studio album + bonus disc until I'm satisfied & fatigued...

Children Of The Sea
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 07-05-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Default Shhhhhhh, I'm working

Just slipped "Mob Rules" into my desktop at work. Listening to Slipping Away.
    Can you sleep at night, when you close your eyes.
    Do you think of all the pain from your lies?
    Or do you deny, you're responsible
    For the victims of the sins you leave behind?

2 consecutive rounds with Heaven And Hell...I just can't believe the power & grace of this album! This album just keeps on giving me moments of glory & strength, amazement & awe...on & on, time & again. A true stone hard classic, pure stainless steel!!!

Lonely Is The Word.

The alignment of forces must have been perfectly pointed at Dio's California hotel room on that night. 2 masters of their trade sitting down together and then it's summoned from nothingness, a mind blowing jewel of a song that transcends decades, generations & fans of all ages, for good.

Another 2 consecutive rounds with Heaven And Hell, it's just getting better and better like this was the first time I'm listening to this album!

DIE YOUNG. Another Dio-esque masterpiece.

Sabbathman, you sound like me. I have all Elf, Dio Sabbath, Dio, HEaven & Hell, and various other songs that Dio has sang on (The Chase - Queensryche, Dream On W/ Malmsteen, etc) in a HUGE playlist on my iPod. It is with me at all times and have been listening to it everyday.

Sometimes it is all day, other days it has been for a short period, but Dio has been on my mind everyday.

Dio - Pain w/ Guitar Solo (Live in 1993)

No matter what some people say, Tracy G was a good guitarrist, perhaps not techinally the best in the world, but he had his own very unique style...that suited the heavier line Ronnie was going for in Strange Highways and Angry Machines.

I have made some collection cds to my car...made a 3 cd collection of Black Sabbath the Dio years, fitting every single song they ever recorded along with couple of live tracks too...N.I.B, Country Girl and Children Of The Grave from Live at Hammersmith, Computer God from Boston 1992, then Voodoo and Lonely Is The Word from RCMH Live

Then I also made a 4 cd collection of Dio but naturally that became more of a best of type of a thing...all the songs from only two album made it to those cd, Holy Diver and Magica

Then I made a live collection of Rainbow...
    Kill The King
    Mistreated
    Sixteenth Century Greensleeves
    Catch The Rainbow
    The Man On The Silver Mountain w/ Blues & Starstruck
    Stargazer w/ Keyboard Solo Intro
    Still I'm Sad

Some are from Germany in '76 and Still I'm Sad is from On Stage

Now all of these are in the changer...

Returning to the final era for the 4th shuffled run...

Heaven & Hell - Fear
    Dio - Electra

...now what a great fast & furious punch in the face, the best up-tempo song they made during their final season together...too bad I never heard this live, I was hoping to hear this, oh yes.

All in all, whatever the Dio-esque era of music, I could happily get stuck & not listen to anything else for an undefined time. Dio simply rules with an iron grip, where & when is non-essential.

Follow The Tears...simply one of the heaviest & darkest heavy metal songs that I know of. Dio soars & roars above the brutish bottom-end...Class!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post
    Follow The Tears...simply one of the heaviest & darkest heavy metal songs that I know of. Dio soars & roars above the brutish bottom-end...Class!

I am convinced that along with Double The Pain, Eating The Cannibals and Follow The Tears- Black Sabbath (yeah, I said it) was at their pinnacle one final time. Follow The Tears is simply soul crushingly heavy!

As the 5th run with the final era progresses, I have to say "The Turn Of The Screw" seems to be an underrated song on the album, seems to be getting better and better. Nice main riff, some heavy interwoven riffs, the solo section is brilliant...

The shuffle just threw me to hear the story of Electra, the last in line from Dio the band...Seriously heavy rhythm slabs & stabs, Aldrich's solo work nails the song with the mark "born to be classic"...God I love Dio's vocals on this one, this song is truly one made in the wonderful world of Dio's Magica!!!

Ronnie James Dio, I miss you so much. I'm glad you're still so close to me by songs like this, the mighty "Electra"!!!

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Double The Pain...

Geezer's bass...fuuuuuuuuuck!!! The bass sounds, especially the intro & the mid part, rumble the walls all around my house and the glasswares are ringing in the cupboards in my kitchen!!! This must be the all-time heaviest bass sound found in any of the albums in my collection!

---------- Post added 07-07-2010 at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-06-2010 at 11:52 PM ----------

Enjoyed the 5th round with Heaven And Hell...not only the album gets better and better by each listen (it's just amazing), I'm also getting hungrier for a yet another round with this magnum opus!!! This album is truly a magical piece of work, a never ending spell of Dio-esque excellence!

All The Fools Sailed Away, The Sign of the Southern Cross and Lonley is the Word.
    Thanks Ronnie, for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
    Robb Flynn's cover of Die Young. Beautiful.
    Later on I played the Lock Up The Wolves album on Youtube, up to the title track.

After 6 magnificent runs with the final Dio-esque era & 7 exhilarating rounds with the album Heaven And Hell, I'm moving on at last...it's always hard to let go of music like this after having enjoyed it so much, but more great Dio-esque music will follow immediately...

Next up: the 2-hour Dio memorial show by Radio Rock's beloved Klaus Flaming, a 10-part set including a career spanning selection of everything Dio & commentaries. Thanks to Tapio Minkkinen for recording the show for posterity for us fans to save & enjoy later.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
    Later on I played the Lock Up The Wolves album on Youtube, up to the title track.

GREAT call, wonderful version of this song.

2 consecutive rounds with the album Mob Rules...one of the key albums in all of heavy metal for me, I wouldn't trade this for anything. The heavyness, the melodies, the vocals...it's all aligned to have become this classic album, one of the best ever made in the history of rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post
    Next up: the 2-hour Dio memorial show by Radio Rock's beloved Klaus Flaming, a 10-part set including a career spanning selection of everything Dio & commentaries. Thanks to Tapio Minkkinen for recording the show for posterity for us fans to save & enjoy later.
    Cheers & hats off for Klaus Flaming! What nice show this was, an astounding selection of songs, nice interwoven comments from Dio & Klaus himself.

As far as Dio was concerned, heavy metal was invented by Black Sabbath. Tony, Geezer, Ozzy & Bill invented heavy metal. The combination of Rainbow & Black Sabbath is what heavy metal is all about for Dio himself. According to Dio, heavy metal is made of great melodies, the heavyness & "kicking your ass" behind it & a great vocalist who can kick ass with the band and have something to say, a true content. That's the epitome of heavy metal for Dio. He also stated that heavy metal is defined by singers like Bruce Dickinson & Rob Halford. For Dio, the album Heaven And Hell is a great example of what heavy metal is supposed to be.

I agree with Dio, 100 %