Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    Let's trade places and lives, dev.

Swell for you to have had the chance to see and savour both of these dynamic death metal bands, upfront.

Although I earlier talked of how I wasn't wowed by Decapitated's latest disc, I still think it was a very listenable album, overall. Besides, I wouldn't ever pass up a chance to see Decapitated, onstage. And I sense that Carnival might even win me over somewhat, when performed LIVE.

Decrepit Birth is also a very impressive bunch of extreme metallers. Despite slamming a few aspects of their last, very popular album, Diminishing Between Worlds, I, nonetheless, appreciate their aims on that album, and moderately liked the results. I still think their biggest claim to fame must be their landmark brutal-tech dm debut disc, '...And Time Begins'. I also really liked their latest album, 'Polarity', so I'm back in the fan fold. But as an aside, I gotta say how I've always loved DB's label mates (at Unique Leader), Deeds of Flesh much more.

It's such a hard luck story of how I have gone without seeing some of my favourite extreme bands for nearly a year, or more. How I wish in vain that Decapitated would head down under to our shores in the coming summer.

dev, your earlier remark about 'proggy-jazzy' material reminds me of the likes of Atheist, and their last album of last year, 'Jupiter'. Then there was Cynic's comeback with 'Traced in Air' of a few years ago. Have you heard (and liked them)? I don't remember whether you like other related bands like Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist, or Australia's Psycroptic. or Canada's Gorguts etc etc....

Fleshgod Apocalypse is a very impressive tech-dm band from Italy. Their twin peaks are their debut, 'Oracles', and this year's 'Agony'. The Mafia EP of last year is also worth checking out. These releases make me a definite FA fan.
    http://www.myspace.com/fleshgodapocalypse

Wormrot is an out and out grindcore act from Singapore, of all places. These young guys are pretty cool players of grind, and the all more remarkable to have sprung up from such an improbable locale, i.e. strait-laced Singapore. Grind fans are taking note of these Asian hell-raisers.
    http://www.myspace.com/wormrotgrind

Heamorrhage is a classic 'goregrind' act from Spain. They have been around since the early-'90s, and I have been a fan for nearly as long, from when I first heard their debut, 'Emetic Cult'. Their new album 'Hospital Carnage' shows this band is still out for blood and still brilliant.
    http://myspace.com/haemorrhage

Also, happy to hear that you liked Deicide's new 'To Hell With God' album. I largely liked it too, but I still have my pet peeves with the overdoing of the new 'melodic' angle to the band's sound, since the arrival of Ralph Santolla. I remember dissing certain things about Stench, though I admit it's a very strong, convincing album, all round. I have even come around to better appreciating the last one, 'Till Death Do Us Part'. Now, 'To Hell With God', despite being chock full of the by-now melodic, careening soloing, is actually a more appealing death metal album, than put out by many of Deicide's (often younger) contemporaries. Maybe I just badly miss the blatantly meaner, more menacing onslaught of the Hoffmann brothers on Deicide's lead guitars, but I know how I'd definitely be a lot happier with the toning down of the overkill of Santolla's melody-fests. Jack Owen should be more involved, and bring a bit more of a brutal edge of old to the playing, overall.

I appreciate your comments about Hate Eternal. Plenty of my fellow fans of the band seem to feel similarly. Erik Rutan has also been roundly panned for his 'production' values (in both HE, and Cannibal Corpse). Many fans seem to hate the supposedly dirty, thick, muddy, 'shitty' sound he brings to the albums he's been involved in. I don't know, but I think some of these complaints are a bit overdone. Now, I can concede that some of the music on HE's first two albums and their last two, can possibly seem to be overly complex, chaotic and ultimately unsatisfying. For me, though, there's something uniquely uncompromising and unrelenting about Hate Eternal's sound that I've always found really admirable, and more importantly, just a real thrill to listen to. Erik is the absolute authentic article when it comes to devotion to his craft and the cause of extreme metal, in general. I love the guy's attitude, acumen and artistic accomplishments. I really liked the new 'Phoenix Amongst the Ashes' album. I agree that 'I, Monarch' is arguably their finest hour, though I really liked their first two albums just as much.

Origin's new one, 'Entity' is a cool album. A little more complex, elaborate, (longer running time), with a bit more 'melody' to the playing, I just found Entity to be a very worthy listen. My respect for, and enjoyment of this band has steadily grown over the years. 'III' is still my favourite Origin album.

I share your disappointment with Pestilence's 'Doctrine' album. After the resurgent 'Resurrection Macabre' record, I had every reason and right to expect much better. But Doctrine, while not a wholly sucky album at all, feels like a big let-down, nonetheless.

Lastly, sorry to hear that you're no fan of Dying Fetus. I've always been a very avid Fetus fanatic, haha.

Gosh, I seem to gab the most on this particular thread. I think a third of the posts here are mine. That's what chatter about Death Metal always brings out of me. LOL

WEll RLP Id love to visit Australia. Ive wanted to ever since I was 14 or so watching some travel type TV show. But trading lives might be a little rough for both of us. And if there hasnt been any good DM shows there in a year. Cant say that would be acceptable to me.

But yeah the Carnival songs are even more enjoyable live then the album.

Coincidentally Fleshgod was also on the show Monday night. But I got there long after they had finished.

I haven't listened to Decrepit's Polarity. I really didnt much like Diminishing. But the stuff they played from Polarity sounded ok.

I haven heard Jupiter. I liked their Elements album somewhat, mainly for what Tony Choy did on the album. But even with that album its a listen few & far between kind of album for me. As for Cynic I didnt really get into that album much at all initially. Ive sorta gotten into some portions of the album. I liked Cynic most when they were a Death Metal band with a bit of prog here or there. Focus is great, but its fairly split down the middle. Traces is a prog album with some MEtal parts thrown in here or there. So I appreciate it on some level. But at the end of the day theres not a lot on Traces that draws me back for repeated listens.

I admire Necrophagist. Great players. But I havent listened in a long time. Its amazing some of the prowess the players have. But Ive never really locked into Necrophagist's music for some reason.

I dont know why but over the last 10 years Grind has really lost most of its allure for me. I just dont see the amount of personality in the bands now as I did with Brutal Truth, Carcass and some of the other 90's bands. Thats partly why I havent gotten into Exhumed. At first it was so much Carcass worship to me and I really didnt ever see any evidence of their own identity. Similarly with Impaled, but they did start to show signs at one point. The last Exhumed album was much better then anything else Ive heard. I listened to some of the samples from the newest material. Not horrible. But still doesnt quite hit me. Maybe with Haemorrage being a seasoned band it could possibly bring something I haven't heard so far.
    Last edited by devstorm; 10-13-2011 at 01:14 AM.

This thread could as well be a news channel for death metal...too bad we have news like this...

DISMEMBER Calls It Quits - Oct. 16, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=164728

Bassist Tobias Cristiansson of Swedish death metal veterans DISMEMBER has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"After 23 years, DISMEMBER have now decided to quit. We wish to thank all our fans for your support."

I wonder will they ever release anything from their 20th anniversary show...?
    "HALLOWEEN RIFFS, WALL-TO-WALL GUITARS"

That is sad news i seen it yesterday! one of my favorite death metal bands!
    One day when your end is near
    I'll be laughing at your fear
    When you're gone there'll be no one
    Who'll be fucking up my fun No one!

Get your acts together and go for this masterpiece...

Featured Stream / Interview / Track By Track Breakdown of the album
    A Fragile King by Vallenfyre
    By Johnathan on Oct 24, 2011

http://www.hailsandhorns.com/feature...by-vallenfyre/

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post
    This thread could as well be a news channel for death metal...too bad we have news like this...

DISMEMBER Calls It Quits - Oct. 16, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=164728

Bassist Tobias Cristiansson of Swedish death metal veterans DISMEMBER has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"After 23 years, DISMEMBER have now decided to quit. We wish to thank all our fans for your support."

I wonder will they ever release anything from their 20th anniversary show...?
    Awful news. Dismember one of my first favorite Death Metal bands that I got into. I thought this was a band that was solid their whole career. Never a weak album. Massive Killing Capacity is such a monster album.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Yea, it's never easy to accept a metal band suddenly quitting while still making quality music. Dismember is definitely one of the best DM acts out of Sweden and I have all their albums except the Death Metal album. The debut, 'LaEFS' and 'Indecent and Obscene' are obviously outstanding albums, while 'Massive Killing Capacity', 'Where Ironcrosses Grow,' and especially 'The God That Never Was' are all very fine dm albums and essential listens for fans of Swedish DM, in general. The only Dismember discs that I found pretty average were 'Hate Campaign', and their last one, the s-t 'Dismember'. I have a weird feeling that even Grave (another great Swedish dm legend) is on the verge of calling it a day, soon. I hope I'm wrong. And one of the saddest 'disbandings', though, was Bolt Thrower's a few years ago. But they have continued to tour and perform, nevertheless. I hope Dismember give their fans a bunch of swell shows in the near future.
    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" ~ Ayn Rand

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country". ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Warriors and wenches of Death Metal!
    Masterartist Lord Dan Seagrave be'ith featured in ye November 2011 edition of Juxtapoz periodical. 'Tis an examination of a true virtuoso of imagery!
    Lord Seagrave's works adorn ye covers of numerous Death Metal troubadours, such as Morbid Angel, Entombed and Suffocation.

This post now concludeth!
    FRIENDS IN SABBATH! BEHOLD THIS KNIGHT'S WEB-TALES BY EN'CLICKING UPON YE LINK, HITHER:
    www.heavymetalsuperstar.com

Black Knight, those are really cool album cover artwork (of very good albums, as well). Some of the recent album art of bands like Decrepit Birth, Deeds of Flesh and a few others seem to me to be uncannily similar to, say, some of Suffo's and Morbid Angel's past album covers. And hey, there's no forgetting the much-celebrated, controversial Vincent Locke and his unforgettable art for Cannibal Corpse.
    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" ~ Ayn Rand

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country". ~ Kurt Vonnegut

My favourite Seagrave masterpieces...also some of my favourites of the genre...

Last edited by Sabbathman; 10-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.

This is the greatest trio of death metal albums from the same artist DEATH with the greatest trio of cover artwork from the same artist Ed Repka...

Last edited by Sabbathman; 10-30-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Hey guys haven't been around alot cause of school and shit but i wanna talk new death metal bands formed within 09-present kinda..any good ones?

I'm fairly new to death metal and I have only just begun to really appreciate it (This is with, to a lesser extent, Black Metal also.). I have been reading some of the comments of this thread and have found several bands that I like thanks to this thread, so thank you all for that.
    The bands that I've found to like of the genre are:
    Death
    Morbid Angel
    Autopsy
    Vader
    Cannibal Corpse
    Early Opeth
    Bloodbath
    Benediction
    And because I think it counts some of Testament's work such as Demonic Refusal and others.
    Any others that I may like besides those listed in this thread based on what I like so far? Morbid Angel and Death are my 2 favorites, so if that helps it's there.

@Symtom: I don't know of anything since I'm still new to the genre, but I might look around and see if I can find anything new out there I enjoy and bring it here.

Quote Originally Posted by SYMPTOMS of EVILWOMEN View Post
    Hey guys haven't been around alot cause of school and shit but i wanna talk new death metal bands formed within 09-present kinda..any good ones?
    Don't know about that recent, but two great death bands from the last 5 years or so are Abysmal Dawn and Dawn of Demise. The best "new" bands playing traditional DM today in my opinino.

@Musicman11

Hey, I hadn't quite expected to learn that you're an emerging fan of the godly genre of Death Metal, heh.

I see that you already dig a number of quality dm bands, you named on your short list above.
    Oh, mate, I'm so spoilt for choice when dishing out recs in dm to any new fan. Trust me, there's just literally tons of top-notch stuff in the genre to seek out and sample, and eventually enjoy greatly.

Ok, for starters, carefully go through the previous pages of this thread again. I'm sure that I, and several others, have done a lot of name-dropping, and trading views on a whole bunch of really cool dm acts around. Now, you seem to particularly like Morbid Angel and Death. That seems to suggest that you sort of dig a certain 'epic' undertone a la Morbid Angel, and a blatant 'technical' emphasis a la Death---though, I honestly don't really regard a majority of Death's albums to be sufficiently death metal at all. That apart, every new death metal fan's 'required' listening must include early-Death, no question.

Lemme throw up, from the top of my head, a couple of more acts that you're very likely to enjoy, I'm guessing.

Atheist
    Nile
    Necrophagist
    Cynic
    Gorguts
    Spawn of Possession
    Pestilence
    Obituary

^^ ....I hope that helps some, Musicman

@RLP
    I have been going through the pages, those were the ones that stood out to me immediately as bands that I like, I'll give some of the others a second chance, but I figured if I gave the ones that immediately stood out, then I could get some more stuff I was likely to enjoy As for Death not being Death Metal later on, I don't care Symbolic and The Sound Of Perseverance are still amazing albums, but I guess your technically right, Chuck went for less of the death growl and more of a Screaming style along with far more complex music in general. As for the bands you listed I'm going through them as I type this, so I'm finding I enjoy most of them.
    Once again here is the updated list of what Death Metal I am into as of now (Mostly thanks to this thread may I add.)
    Death
    Morbid Angel
    Pestilence
    Atheist
    Vader
    Cannibal Corpse
    Autopsy
    Nile
    Cynic
    Necrophagist
    Benediction
    Bloodbath
    Early Opeth
    Testament's Foray's Into Death Metal
    Obituary, I saved this one for last because when I went to listen to the band on Youtube, before I could start the video I had to sit through an advertisement as you do and found before me THE SCARY HOUSE OF ANUBIS ON NICKELODEON! To which I promptly burst out laughing at.

But yeah RLP that helped a lot I liked most of the bands save for Spawn of Possession and Gorguts.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman11 View Post
    Once again here is the updated list of what Death Metal I am into as of now (Mostly thanks to this thread may I add.)
    Death
    Morbid Angel
    Pestilence

Atheist
    Vader
    Cannibal Corpse
    Autopsy
    Nile
    Cynic
    Necrophagist
    Benediction
    Bloodbath
    Early Opeth
    Testament's Foray's Into Death Metal
    Obituary
    Recommended

Strongly recommended

Remember to explore the whole discography of Nile and Karl Sanders each time you listen to them, a chronological voyage across the entire Nile...that will give you a fantastic experience, that's how I've come to know the power of Nile...mind-blowing mythological stories & historical reports in the lyrics...

Be sure to include early Entombed, Grave, Dismember, Unleashed...the Scandinavian masters...don't forget the first 2 albums of Amorphis and Sentenced, if you want great & characteristic old school death metal from Finland...Amorphis cultivates some Orientally charged melodies too...Sentenced brings out the cold of the north in a very personal way...

You just can't live without the mighty BOLT THROWER!!! The ultimate warmachine from England...once you get into Bolt Thrower, there's no coming back...their lyrics are probably the most interesting and classy in the whole genre...the horror, agony, insanity, original source, power and honour of war. Their lyrics should be compiled into one separate opus. And their wall of sound is unbeatable...I've heard that their live show is an overkill of heavyness...

Deathchain is one of the most important death metal acts from Finland. They started out as thrash metal, then morphed into a full blown death metal band during few albums.

You just HAVE TO HEAR THIS, the closing masterpiece of their latest album Death Gods...Please, do it NOW while you still can, waste no more time...

Cthulhu Rising
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 12-30-2011 at 06:10 PM.

@Musicman
    I'm glad that some of my recs turned out good for you. Check out further albums by each of those bands that you're currently liking a lot.

In any case, you needn't rush too much in discovering more dm bands. Like I said earlier, there's definitely loads more quality dm bands that you're likely to love, later on. Take your time--and trust me, it does take time---in fully hearing and enjoying many of the very good bands you're into, right now, and just keep seeking out new bands to try out, over the coming weeks and months ahead. If you stay with death metal, I'm sure by next Christmas, you'd have an even better knowledge and appreciation of DM, and of all the devastatingly cool metal it has to offer both new and old fans, like you and me.

Oh, do properly check out Obituary---esp. any of their first three albums, first. I see Sabbathman, above, has made a few more apt recommendations. Seeing that you dig Bloodbath, he's right to turn your gaze toward fellow Swedish dm legends, Dismember, Entombed, Grave, and Unleashed. Bolt Thrower is another that I really love. If you end up liking Obituary, chances are high that you'd dig BT, too. I'd also be interested to know your feelings about Vital Remains, Decrepit Birth, Decapitated, Rotting Christ, Krisiun Kataklysm etc.....and I'll sure tell you about more, later.

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    @Musicman
    I'm glad that some of my recs turned out good for you. Check out further albums by each of those bands that you're currently liking a lot.

In any case, you needn't rush too much in discovering more dm bands. Like I said earlier, there's definitely loads more quality dm bands that you're likely to love, later on. Take your time--and trust me, it does take time---in fully hearing and enjoying many of the very good bands you're into, right now, and just keep seeking out new bands to try out, over the coming weeks and months ahead. If you stay with death metal, I'm sure by next Christmas, you'd have an even better knowledge and appreciation of DM, and of all the devastatingly cool metal it has to offer both new and old fans, like you and me.

Oh, do properly check out Obituary---esp. any of their first three albums, first. I see Sabbathman, above, has made a few more apt recommendations. Seeing that you dig Bloodbath, he's right to turn your gaze toward fellow Swedish dm legends, Dismember, Entombed, Grave, and Unleashed. Bolt Thrower is another that I really love. If you end up liking Obituary, chances are high that you'd dig BT, too. I'd also be interested to know your feelings about Vital Remains, Decrepit Birth, Decapitated, Rotting Christ, Krisiun Kataklysm etc.....and I'll sure tell you about more, later.
    My bank account is going to hate all of you when this is all over with XD.
    I have been enjoying most of it, I'm going to try and narrow it down to a top 5 DM artists after a while so I can actually go out and buy some music. My favorite two are still Death and Morbid Angel, but Autopsy, Pestilence, and Vader are growing on me quite a bit, and Cannibal Corpse is something I can't really decide on quite yet.
    Now on a bit of an unrelated note, do you all know how they are handling the Death remasters for those remaining? Are the first 3 albums going to get the same treatment as the others and be rereleased, or am I going to have to seek out those original 3 elsewhere?

And one more, as much as you all hate to probably hear it, Slipknot is partially responsible for bringing me further into the harder metal genres. Slipknot was the first band that I really listened to that had more of a harsher vocal style and I began to enjoy it, and to be honest I still like their music, but in no way am I saying that they are death metal or comparable to the artists listed here. I'm just saying that if you don't credit them for their music (Which I admit is another guilty pleasure of mine I'm not exactly proud of) , you can at least credit them with helping my generation get into the harder kinds of metal. Of course they were followed by Slayer and then Celtic Frost (Which has become one of my favorite metal bands of all time) to get me even further into the different genres of metal.

Now on a bit of an unrelated note, do you all know how they are handling the Death remasters for those remaining? Are the first 3 albums going to get the same treatment as the others and be rereleased, or am I going to have to seek out those original 3 elsewhere?
    I have the 1999 remasters of the first 3 albums, they sound very good. But I'm guessing they will reissue the first 3 albums yet again as well (this will be the 3rd time, they made two batches from the previous remasters, the first with jewel cases, the second with digipacks) as a part of the ongoing deluxe remasters campaign.

And one more, as much as you all hate to probably hear it, Slipknot is partially responsible for bringing me further into the harder metal genres. Slipknot was the first band that I really listened to that had more of a harsher vocal style and I began to enjoy it, and to be honest I still like their music, but in no way am I saying that they are death metal or comparable to the artists listed here. I'm just saying that if you don't credit them for their music (Which I admit is another guilty pleasure of mine I'm not exactly proud of) , you can at least credit them with helping my generation get into the harder kinds of metal. Of course they were followed by Slayer and then Celtic Frost (Which has become one of my favorite metal bands of all time) to get me even further into the different genres of metal.
    It doesn't matter how you find great music, as long as you find it. If finding bands like Slayer, Celtic Frost, Death and Morbid Angel means that you have to Slip to Nuts first, then by all means. The end result remains unquestionable: you've become a fan of the progenitors of thrash & death metal!!!

@Sabbathman: Slayer and Celtic Frost weren't my first tastes of thrash, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, and several other were bands that I had been listening to before hand. It's just Slayer and Celtic Frost are bands that are a little bit harder that pushed me in the direction of death metal after liking Slipknot's harsher vocals. Slayer and Celtic Frost were more subject matter references I was making.
    As of right now I have a list I will be looking to fufill as far as albums go:
    Death-Any Album, Eventually All
    Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness
    Cannibal Corpse-Hammer Smashed Face
    Autopsy-Mental Funeral
    Vader-Early Material
    Pestilence-What I Can Find

That's a list of what I'm going to try and get after some more listening based on what I like so far. RLP and Sabbathman, as much as I would like to check those out, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment, so I haven't got to the more recent suggestions, so sorry.

If your back account goes bust, look no further than me---I'd be more than willing to refill your account if you promise me that the proceeds would be reserved for cool death metal album buys.

Seriously, mate, you'd do well to take it slow, and first buy a bunch of albums each by the 6-7 bands that you're liking best, right now. Then go on, at your own pace---what to try, what to buy, etc.... And you always have me for info and tips, on this thread topic, always.

First up, I wanna tell you that I've always liked Slipknot a lot. There's nothing to be embarrassed or 'guilty' about that fact at all. I can totally understand if that band served as some gateway for you (as it apparently has for many others) toward other heavier, harsher music. \Slipknot is indeed 'heavy', with their aggression and discordant sounds, and harsh vocals, etc...Cheers for being my fellow Slipknot fan.

Gosh, I was almost gonna recommend Celtic Frost to you earlier, but then decided that I had already flooded you with too many recs, Lol Good to see that you have already heard and liked Frost. You should also listen to the band Possessed sometime.

Anyway, Musicman, lemme just pitch a bit more, into the bands/albums you say you intend to get hold of, right now:

Death---I think, you'd just as well go in sequence, i.e. why not get their smash debut, 'Scream Bloody Gore', first, then the second, 'Leprosy'..and eventually ALL of them

Morbid Angel---Altars of Madness is a great place to begin. That landmark debut disc is a fantastic way to start with MA. Their third album, 'Covenant' remains my favourite, though. They also have a latest album (of this year). But I think you oughta get to that much later.

Cannibal Corpse----Hammer Smashed Face is a really neat EP that I love. But, I feel you'd rather grab a full-length album straight-away. I like ALL the CC albums, but I'd say you might find Tomb of the Mutilated a terrific intro into the band's career canon of classic records.

Autopsy---Mental Funeral is perhaps my own favourite. If you can't get that, you'd do just as well to get their debut, Severed Survival

Vader----Black to the Blind might be a great place to start.

Pestilence---They have had two good albums out, in the last 3 years. But you better snap up two of their earlier (best) classics---Malleus Maleficarum, and Consuming Impulse

Alright, I'd shut up for a while, and let you go out and get the albums you want.

@RLP: I'm going to take it Slipknot is generally hated here then? Well too bad, for them XD.
    Celtic Frost is another band I really need to get more material from seeing as I love them, the Morbid Tales reissue is brilliant, but I'll need more substance at some point. Also keep in mind that it could be a little while before I get many (if any) of these albums because my local area lacks a good CD store and my parents don't exactly order offline (Which is what I would do in a heartbeat.) Has anyone tried buying like a prepaid visa card and using it on Amazon. That's what I have thought about doing for a long time now, but just never got around to it. I'd like to know before I try, but this might be something that is based on trial and error. Of course I still need to buy the other 5 Ozzy Sabbath albums that I lack as well. Wish me luck, I'll report if I get around to buying anything, I find something else I enjoy or am not really sure of, or just want to talk lol.

Musicman11, when you have good time, please check these out, maybe you'll become a devoted fan like me and join the horde...

From the album "Versus The World" (2002):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ucAP9tRB4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkSvr4Qzqo

From the album "The Avenger" (1999):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WKNQ9TyvG8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fba6eUzW-1Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDow8UTC4g

From the album "The Crusher" (2001):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCzczN02oA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePFs75R23Qs

From the album "Fate Of Norns" (2004):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6x4WnTfI0

From the album "With Oden On Our Side" (2006):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlbcIu8Qek
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pca4rfGSSLY

From the album "Twilight Of The Thundergod" (2008):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhwHH9zimW4

This next song is the undisputed crown of their entire career, this song is almost too much for me...a timeless masterpiece that takes me far away to another world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTKxGhf2Yyw

From their latest album "Surtur Rising" (2011):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooa09K6WLks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6k13NZA1Ts

Everyone here check out Vallenfyre. They're sort of a Death/Doom supergroup. The lineup includes members of My Dying Bride, Doom, & Paradise Lost.
    The result reminds me of early MDB, meets more straightforward 80's-90's Swed DM such as Entombed, Grave, & Dismember. Their album A Fragile King absolutely rules.
    Definitely one of the best DM albums of 2011 (IMO).

A few tracks to check out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mUOPxHUlafc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BPAeR-QwZvM

Enjoy!
    Last edited by devstorm; 01-07-2012 at 12:50 PM.

@Dev: Thanks for posting the links, I enjoyed the songs quite a bit actually.
    As for everything else Death Metal related, I'll say I haven't had time yo BUY anything, but I have definitely had the time to really listen to more of the bands listed above and I've found a common trend for the most part. That trend is that I tend to like many of these artists early albums more, and to be fair this is a trend that goes for most bands. However, I really haven't foun a death metal at all that I like the later material over the early days. Is this just a trend that is generally common of death metal or have I just been listening to the wrong bands for that sort of thing?

@devstorm
    thanks for that, mate. I had already checked out Vallenfyre, back in September, when I discovered them purely by chance, while browsing for some info on Divine Heresy, I think. I first heard 'A Fragile King' (in full), in November, and instantly liked it quite a lot. I had ordered it in mid-December, but the disc never arrived. Funnily enough, now that you mention Vallenfyre here, I'm reminded to order the 'AFK' album again, RIGHT NOW! Meantime, I already have the Desecration EP.

@Musicman
    I'd say that pattern you described (of the early albums by the typical good dm band being their best ones) is pretty common and consistent for a lot of the bands. I reckon I feel the same way with very many of the dm bands that I claim to love. It's not that the latter albums are always necessarily bad or anything, but the bands couldn't top the sheer quality of their earlier efforts, that's all. With bands that have large career discographies, however, you'd even sometimes find that you actually like their later, more sophisticated, experimental albums even more than their early ones. Just continue listening patiently and prolifically to the genre's countless cool bands and albums, and you'd eventually have a better sense of where you stand, regarding DM, overall.

Death metal legends from around the world will make 2012 to become another year of abundant new releases...all these bands have made some of their most massive albums in recent years...I gathered a few news bits for our enjoyment & forthcoming "consuming impulse"...

ASPHYX: New Song Available For Streaming - Dec. 15, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=167286

NILE Begins Recording New Album - Dec. 5, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166840

GRAVE: Working Title For New Album Revealed - Nov. 29, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166643

UNLEASHED Completes Recording New Album - Nov. 22, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166420

HYPOCRISY Working On New Material - Nov. 10, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=165961

Even DEATH is still alive, reaching to us from "beyond the unholy grave" with the ongoing release campaign...

DEATH: 'Vivus!' Cover Artwork Unveiled - Dec. 1, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166723

Death metal legends from around the world will make 2012 to become another year of abundant new releases...all these bands have made some of their most massive albums in recent years...I gathered a few news bits for our enjoyment & forthcoming "consuming impulse"...

ASPHYX: New Song Available For Streaming - Dec. 15, 2011

NILE Begins Recording New Album - Dec. 5, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166840

GRAVE: Working Title For New Album Revealed - Nov. 29, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166643

UNLEASHED Completes Recording New Album - Nov. 22, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166420

HYPOCRISY Working On New Material - Nov. 10, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=165961

Even DEATH is still alive, reaching to us from "beyond the unholy grave" with the ongoing release campaign...

DEATH: 'Vivus!' Cover Artwork Unveiled - Dec. 1, 2011

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=166723
    Thanks for sharing. I am excited for the new Asphyx, Grave, Unleashed and Hypocrisy.

I love the new Asphyx song. I think it is one of their best songs in a while. Click on the link to hear the song Deathhamer. I think it slays.

Last edited by Drago; 01-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun

A nice article about the Norwegian pre-BM Death Metal-scene:
    http://www.deathmetal.org/death_meta.../norwayDM.html
    Dr. Feelgoods Miracle Tissue Regenerator

Amphetamines, Animal Hormones, Bone Marrow, Enzymes, Human Placenta, Painkillers, Steroids, and Multivitamins

anybody into " All shall Perish"? know they arent fully just death metal they kinda have some deathcore'ish themes but overall a good band imo........also new Abortion album is great! anybody hear it? along with new Napalm Death that apparently leaked! and soon a new Cannibal Corpse! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLBF3cpOhU its gonna be good! \,,/

Quote Originally Posted by SYMPTOMS of EVILWOMEN View Post
    along with new Napalm Death
    Now that I would like to hear.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

^ absolutely. I'm an ND die-hard, and I'd love a new disc from these X-treme music vets.
    I'd sure love new-Cannibal Corpse, as well.

Speaking of Autopsy, I've been enjoying the band quite a bit recently. Mental Funeral I would love to get soon, but after spending money on Sabbath, I'll have to wait a little longer. I haven't really went any further into their albums besides the debut. I was wondering what else I should give a try from their career, any ideas?

Speaking of Autopsy, I've been enjoying the band quite a bit recently. Mental Funeral I would love to get soon, but after spending money on Sabbath, I'll have to wait a little longer. I haven't really went any further into their albums besides the debut. I was wondering what else I should give a try from their career, any ideas?
    I'll answer before RLP comes in with a high praise of the sophomore album "Mental Funeral". I just bought the 20th anniversary edition with the DVD.

The latest releases "Tomb Within" (if you can still find it) and the album "Macabre Eternal" should be deathly enough for any fan....

Haha, Sabbathman, whether it's you or me, or any of the other fans first to reply, it's all cool, as long as this dedicated DM thread is always kept alive and abuzz with conversations, from time to time. And wow, that 20th anniversary dvd release must be something I'd wanna get, as well, right?

Musicman, I think I had already said earlier that Mental Funeral is probably my favourite Autopsy album; though most fans I know seem to prefer the debut, Severed Survival. So, I guess you could obviously get SS, next. And yea, you could also decide to buy Autopsy's lastest disc, the very impressive Macabre Eternal, instead. I never get tired of listening to quality DM, all year round.

On Monday 23rd, the first batch of the recently completed & self-financed EP titled "Laskeuma" was delivered to my friends of the local death metal band Defiled Icon.

See their self-made teaser video, made by the drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jqtoG8jRYo

See their new website: http://defiledicon.com/

See their merchandise: http://defiledicon.com/index.php?page=merch

Sabbathman drew the band logo and the front cover image of "Laskeuma". The bearded guitarist's brother made the final layout and merch designs.

Newly announced gigs for this year (the first one will be in my hometown this Saturday)

http://defiledicon.com/index.php?page=live

See the raw sketch of the band flyer:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1026992...95884045738578

Sabbathman drew the edge with the skull, thorned barbed wire and weaponry...this raw version was made of a cell phone photo...the bearded guitarist made the overall design...the final version will have more sharpness and contrast once I copy the original work with a darker print...and maybe invert the colours into a grim negative image...

Man, I have been on such an Asphyx kick lately. Just picked up their last album Death...The Brutal Way. It is a great release. Anyone a fan of these guys or Hail Of Bullets Martin Van Drunen's other band? I need to pull out my old Comecon CD's as I have just been in such a mood for some old school Death. I totally forgot that LG Petrov sings on their first album.

I also picked up the great Melodic Death Metal Before The Dawn's last release Deathstar Rising. It is a really good release.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun

Pestilence...Asphyx...Hail Of Bullets...all titanic bands fronted by the master vocalist & lyricist van Drunen.

I've seen both Hail Of Bullets & Asphyx live (first both back to back at the Jalometalli Fest 2009, then Hail Of Bullets in last May), they're both killer live bands, some of the most memorable death metal showcases of my life. On record, they're at the leading edge of today's death metal, undisputed. And their lyrical landscapes are really something to delve deep into, not the usual satanic blood & guts shit, but more in the classy style of Bolt Thrower, the whole spectrum of warfare. Martin is a history freak, so no wonder he creates lyrics that really matter and are interesting to read along with the music. General Winter, Red Wolves Of Stalin, Nachthexen, On Coral Shores, Tokyo Napalm Holocaust...

I'm listening to Twisted Sister right now, so I'm also taking a listen to Hail Of Bullets' version of Destroyer...This cover is a perfect match by all means. This song is like a custom made song for a band like Hail Of Bullets and Hail Of Bullets is like a custom made band to deliver this song. Fucking hell, they played this song as their "soundcheck" back in 2009!

Waiting anxiously for the new Asphyx album. The title song sounds very, very promising...

Pestilence...Asphyx...Hail Of Bullets...all titanic bands fronted by the master vocalist & lyricist van Drunen.

I've seen both Hail Of Bullets & Asphyx live (first both back to back at the Jalometalli Fest 2009, then Hail Of Bullets in last May), they're both killer live bands, some of the most memorable death metal showcases of my life. On record, they're at the leading edge of today's death metal, undisputed. And their lyrical landscapes are really something to delve deep into, not the usual satanic blood & guts shit, but more in the classy style of Bolt Thrower, the whole spectrum of warfare. Martin is a history freak, so no wonder he creates lyrics that really matter and are interesting to read along with the music. General Winter, Red Wolves Of Stalin, Nachthexen, On Coral Shores, Tokyo Napalm Holocaust...

I'm listening to Twisted Sister right now, so I'm also taking a listen to Hail Of Bullets' version of Destroyer...This cover is a perfect match by all means. This song is like a custom made song for a band like Hail Of Bullets and Hail Of Bullets is like a custom made band to deliver this song. Fucking hell, they played this song as their "soundcheck" back in 2009!

Waiting anxiously for the new Asphyx album. The title song sounds very, very promising...
    Glad to see another Van Drunen fan on the site. I am so excited for the new Asphyx as I think the song Deathhammer is awesome. I just picked up the first Hail of Bullets ...Of Frost and War and should take a listen tonight. I also just picked up the new Pestilence CD Doctrine. I know Van Drunen isn't on it but it is a pretty solid release. I also ordered the 3 CD set of Swedish Death Metal that accompanies Ekeroth's book. Does anyone have this? I am totally excited for this as I love all of the Swedish Death Metal bands.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun

After checking out the Hail of Bullets samples a week or two ago I picked up the latest, Divine Winds. Solid release for sure, really liking it quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestion guys!
    Last edited by devstorm; 02-08-2012 at 09:30 PM.