Default Would have loved to hear Ronnie sing "Solitude"

Imagine him singing it with the same soft voice he used on "Rainbow Eyes"

I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

I've often pondered about the very same thing - and came to the conclusion that it would be amazing Ozzy's vocal performance is probably his finest and simply amazing, but I think the song would have fit Dio like a glove.

It's a shame that Solitude was never played live, not with any line-up. It seemed that the band had something against performing ballads live.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

i dunno i really like ozzys voice on this song. i think ozzy gave it the spooky feel ight for this album, whereas ronnies would have been a more fantasy styled version, but yeah wouldve been cool to hear.
    Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
    The world will still be turning when you're gone

i would loved to have heard ronnie sing solitude i love ozzy on the song but man its one of those what ifs in metal
    They'll take your diamonds and give you steel youll be caught in the middle of the madness just lost like them and part of all the pain they feel.
    ronnie james dio "all the fools sailed away"

RIP Ronnie.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksabbath View Post
    i dunno i really like ozzys voice on this song. i think ozzy gave it the spooky feel ight for this album, whereas ronnies would have been a more fantasy styled version, but yeah wouldve been cool to hear.
    I'm not slamming your view by any means, but I'd very much like to know why you think Solitude has a spooky atmosphere? It's melancholic and angst-ridden for sure, but I don't find any intimidating qualities on it.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Singing Solitude would be quite the departure for Dio I think. Not saying he couldn't do it, but I get the feeling it would sort of go against his nature to portray the melancholy, hopeless attitude the song conveys. Like, if he sang the phrase "in dark wilderness" he would hold the last syllable for a long time, add an operatic vibrato, and shake his fist then growl "look out!" A bit of a caricature, I'm having a spot of fun here, but maybe you get what I'm driving at.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Boy View Post
    Singing Solitude would be quite the departure for Dio I think. Not saying he couldn't do it, but I get the feeling it would sort of go against his nature to portray the melancholy, hopeless attitude the song conveys. Like, if he sang the phrase "in dark wilderness" he would hold the last syllable for a long time, add an operatic vibrato, and shake his fist then growl "look out!" A bit of a caricature, I'm having a spot of fun here, but maybe you get what I'm driving at.
    Agreed. While I would have loved to hear the attempt, it would have quickly turned into an over performance via his 'Dream On' cover.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Boy View Post
    Honestly I don't get what you're driving at. Did he growl "look out" when he performed "Rainbow Eyes"? :D I think he would have been able to do a great job on "Solitude" but I don't think he would have wanted to. "Solitude" would suffer too much from his 80s style of singing that he would have to go back to the "Temple of the King"/"Rainbow Eyes" kind of soft singing as Dr. Fukk suggests. For some reason I don't think he wanted to do that when he joined Sabbath, he wanted to develop his "arena-rock" style instead. But if he had given it a try I have no doubt it would have sounded amazing, probably even better than the original for me at least.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Quote Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
    Honestly I don't get what you're driving at..."Solitude" would suffer too much from his 80s style of singing that he would have to go back to the "Temple of the King"/"Rainbow Eyes" kind of soft singing as Dr. Fukk suggests.
    Apparently you do get what I was driving at then