Default What was Cause of Ray Rillen death?

Everyone: I kinda new to the other eras of Black Sabbath, ie,:Ian Gillan,Glenn Hughes,Tony Martin and Ray Gillen. Just starting getting into the other eras of Black Sabbath about 2 months ago and I love the Glenn and Tony era. Haven't heard the entire Born Again album just 30 second samples off amazon.An I just bought "The Eternal Idol" Deluxe Expanded Edition the other day An I love it. Was wondering always wanted to know what was the cause of Ray Gillen dying so young? Thanks All for your help.

HIV/AIDS... RIP Ray
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

AIDS, sexually contracted.
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

I'd also heard that he had cancer from somewhere, but I'm not sure. I know I have always heard Aids too, that's why it caught me off guard when I either read or heard it.
    Last edited by Pink Led Rush; 10-21-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

No, Ray never had cancer... He died of aids, period. Man was a healthy chap all the way, he didn't even drink beer on regular basis... His usual drink was ice tea lol
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rules View Post
    His usual drink was ice tea lol
    Only Ray Rules would give you the answer about Gillen and then some! What hardcore knowledge!
    If your out on a lonely highway, if you travel on a rolling light, don't come to me for comfort, i'm alright

There were some mystery's about his death. When he died, even Glenn Hughes dind't know it was AIDS that caused Gillen's death. What I once read in a interview, Hughes even denied the "rumor" Gillen died of AIDS on MTV.

Ray's illness was a private issue for everyone, man, only his most dear friends knew about it. If in 2011 the prejudice about AIDS is huge, imagine in the early 90's when it was called "gay cancer". Thats why I think is understandable that a man who make his living through his appearance to keep this subject private. I don't think his shows would sell too many tickets if the audience knew a man with aids was there, singing, not at that year.

Here, lemme drop some Ray trivia here: you guys knew that after Rob Halford drop by and save the day at Costa Mesa, in 1992, Ray Gillen stood at his house for some days? If my memory is right, he was there with his former girlfriend, Daisy. According to Halford, Ray was one of the best guys he ever knew.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fused1990 View Post
    Only Ray Rules would give you the answer about Gillen and then some! What hardcore knowledge!
    Thanks for that, man lol
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

When Ray first died I think Kerrang! said it was "stomach cancer brought on by AIDS-related complications" or something like that.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Not cancer, but stomach ulceras, I think... I'm almost sure it wasn't cancer.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

so sad he went quik,the last time i seen him he looked ok, except he was coughing a lot and i knew he did'nt smoke ,i did'nt think too much about it at time but
    it was a bad cough and he didn't have flu,only after i heard the news i understood why he had that cough,i miss the guy he was a good friend and a better vocalist
    badlands were the last band i got into,lost intrest in music after he past. love you ray. mikey.
    troubadour 12/91

I played a couple of times with his former bandmate in Badlands, Greg Chaisson (bass), and he confirmed that it was AIDS/HIV also.

As a side note, Greg rewrote the lyrics to Badlands' song "The River" from the Dusk album and recorded it on his own solo album It's About Time as a tribute to Ray after his death:

Last edited by TrogDawn; 01-20-2012 at 04:38 PM.