Banned

Default Meeting tony iommi

So anyway, many years ago I use to frequently travel many miles once or so a month in order to buy imports/bootlegs/mags/pic discs etc..., and I would always pick up the monthly KERRANG, you know that UK based magazine that I imagine many of you are familiar with. Well, on the back cover it had a picture of the original Sab (the pic was the same one used for the 10 Year Anniversary Tour Program that folded out to a poster {Never Say Die Tour} )....and along with that pic, there was a little caption that stated how, among other things, "Tony Iommi was in Los Angeles recording a solo album at Cherokee Studios with a tentative release date of next..." I was like, wow, you don't often read the exact location of where an artist is recording, usually it is just 'at a hollywood studio' or in 'the bahamas', or something.

So I get on the phone and I call 411 information and ask for a Cherokee Studios and I get the address and phone number. I didn't bother calling, but that weekend my best buddy and I, drove the 70 or so miles into LA, really it was Hollywood, but the cities are all so close and connected that people might say 'let's go to LA' when really you might be going to Burbank, or Glendale, or Holywood. I brought along with me my import copy of SAB BLOODY SAB that was a gatefold cover that opened up and revealed the band shirtless where you could see through there bodies sort of and standing in some Victorian bedroom of a manor or something. My friend Tom brought his copy of Technical Ecstacy.

We get there at around 2-3pm and just sort of hand out near the front of the place, but not so close and obvious as to draw attention. The studio was on a busy street named Fairfax and it was outh of Sunset Blvd. just north of Melrose. After a while, some guy parks nearby and seems headed straight for the front door so we stop him real quick and we're like 'hey, do you know if Tony Iommi is in there recording'? and he says yeah he is, in fact I'm going in there to set up some equipment for the session. We ask him if it is possible to tell Tony that if he has a free moment we were wondering if we could get his autograph maybe. He said yeah I could mention it.

About 15 minutes later some other guy walks out and sort of introduces himself as the producer (Jeff Glixman), and he's like Tony is pretty busy but what did you guys want? I say my name is steve and i want Sab Bloody Sab signed inside the gatefold and this here is tom and he has Tech Ec...Glixman is like 'ok steve sab tom technical' I'll see what I can do. He goes back in and about 10 min later or so, he comes out but he doesn't have are lp's in his hand, and before I even had time really to wonder why, Tony comes out just sconds after Glixman and has our lp's in his hand. He immediately, very graciously said "hey guys how are you doing...let's see, who's Tom" holding out Tech Ec, then said "then you must be Steve" handing me my Sab Bloody Sab. He stretched and mentioned how it as good that we came because he needed the fresh air and a quick break. He mentioned how nice it was out, and we asked him how the recording was going, how Live Aid was, and how we have been admirers of his playing for a long time. Chatted for a few minutes telling him the concerts we had been to back in Ozzy's days and with Dio and Gillan as well. Tony was very humble, asked us a bit about where we were from etc...and he signed my lp inside the gatefold cover, next to his picture "Best Wishes to Steve, Tony Iommi".

The album that was being worked on came to be "Seventh Star". Now in the years that followed, I met up with the other three original members, all individually, and so my Sab Bloddy Sab lp is autographed by all four, but I suppose those are stories for another day.

A nice story, but the thing is; Seventh Star was recorded at Cheshire Sound Studios in Atlanta.
    True enough, it was mastered in Hollywood, but at Artisan Sound Recorders by Greg Fulginiti, not Jeff Glixman...
    Dr. Feelgoods Miracle Tissue Regenerator

Amphetamines, Animal Hormones, Bone Marrow, Enzymes, Human Placenta, Painkillers, Steroids, and Multivitamins

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    A nice story, but the thing is; Seventh Star was recorded at Cheshire Sound Studios in Atlanta.
    True enough, it was mastered in Hollywood, but at Artisan Sound Recorders by Greg Fulginiti, not Jeff Glixman...
    I don't think these sessions are the actual Seventh Star sessions but some kind of earlier version of it (star of india maybe?). I haven't read the post thoroughly but he doesn't mention Glenn Hughes there, Sabbathite do you know the date? Was it '86 or '85? Do you know anything about what other guys they were working with, or was it just Tony and Jeff (Glixman)?
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My band's Reverbnation page:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/Oracleswe

Banned

I don't care what the info says on the net in regards to where the recording was done...maybe he switched studios...maybe it was just pre-recording work..I don't know. I do know what I did and I don't lie. I went thru my scrapbook and found the back Kerrang cover which was from a Kerrang that featured Mick Wall reporting from Live Aid and a resulting article and interviews with the band. Here is what the caption says with the pic on the back cover:

"As reported in MAYHEM earlier in this issue, the original Sabbath line-up of Ozzy...(mention of Live Aid being a one-off thing and no official reunion will take place)...In the meantime, both Ozzy and Tony Iommi are working on solo projects. Iommi is presently working with producer Jeff Glixman at Cherokee Studios in Los Angeles on his first solo LP. As yet untitled, the record should be released on the Vertigo label later this year. A number of guest musicians will be featured, including drummer Eric Singer, bassist Dave Spitz ( a member of LA act White Lion) and keyboardsman Geoff Nichols."

"Ozzy is likely to begin work....".

MALCOLM DOME

Would you like me to send you a xerox copy of the back cover page????
    Or a xerox copy of the inside of my Sab LP???
    I don't have to lie to kick it dude. Next I will at some point tell of Bill's autograph being acquired at a drum clinic he held; had breakfast with Ozzy and his assistant at the Sunset Marquis hotel in Hollywood where they were staying during the recording of No Rest...; and how Geezer came down from his room to the hotel lobby at 1:30 or so in the a.m. after I saw him leave the hotel bar and I called the switchboard and asked for "Terrence Butler's room please" (this was at the same hotel where he had joined Ozzy's band. None of this is stretching the truth in any way shape or form.

I guess it's '85 then since they are still talking about "Live Aid" as something recent? Then I see nothing strange in your story. That year is just one big mess, he could well have been at that studio with Jeff Glixman as you say. I think Billy agrees with me, now that it's clear these are probably not THE Seventh Star sessions :D We like to be precise haha ^^
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My band's Reverbnation page:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/Oracleswe

Banned

I'm unsure JOSEF of the exact date, hell it was 25 years ago. But I know the album that came out was 7th Star...and I know Tony's was the first autograph I got and I got Ozzy's and Geezers in 1988...so I am sure it was late 85 or early 1986. At any rate, I appreciate you not insinuating I am a liar like Underdog did. Many years later, I met Tony again backstage at the Universal Amphitheatre after a Cross Purposes concert (where I also had a beer with a rather intoxicated Ian Gillan who was there to visit Tony). I'll tell someday how that all came about. I'm not suggesting Tony invited me or really knows me personally...but that incident and having Ozzy invite me and my buddy to sit down and have some breakfast with them, well, those things happen, and HAPPENED.

Quote Originally Posted by sabbathite View Post
    I don't care what the info says on the net in regards to where the recording was done...maybe he switched studios...maybe it was just pre-recording work..I don't know. I do know what I did and I don't lie.
    I never said you lied, i just pointed out where some facts didn't add up (facts which i got from this page, a page i guess most of us regard as the most accurate when it comes to this kind of info, as Mr. Siegler seems to be a truely thorough fact-nerd).
    You have to remember this is the biggest Sab-fan community in the world, so someone will always get hung up on these facts, i was just trying to be the first one (without caring THAT much, really, was just bragging).
    Also, in this period of the Sabbath-story we know there was alot of back-and-forward, so i'm not saying they never were in Cherokee Studios, but the album-credits says Cheshire Sound. Having just read Iommi's book i know he's been at cherokee several times, i just don't remember when right now. (Maybe i'll have to read it for the third time in three weeks :-P)
    And ofcourse, it's 26 years ago, i almost expected you to remember something wrong, so yeah, there was a little test there too... Yet again, not saying you're lying...
    If the kerrang-article state it as a Iommi solo-album, i guess it had to be pretty early in the prosess, but still after Live Aid (so late summer/fall of 85, maybe?)

It would be cool if you'd be able to scan your LP and post it, not to proof if you telling the truth or not (couse i really don't care about that), but to share a cool pic with autographs...

Edit:
    @ both Josef & Sabbathite: Sorry for taking so long writing this post (i started before the last two posts), but as you see, i agree with you Josef, and i wasn't trying to call you a liar Sabbathite. (man, i actually spent almost 20 min. writing it...)
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 01-14-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Amphetamines, Animal Hormones, Bone Marrow, Enzymes, Human Placenta, Painkillers, Steroids, and Multivitamins

Banned

OK Billy, sorry if I was presumptuous in my saying you said I was lying...I would scan it if I could, but I don't have a scanner, only a printer, I'm not very computer literate and certainly not high-tech...though I know a scanner is pretty common and not considered 'high-tech'...and I got to get me that Iommi book too (money is not something I have enough of lately...I was considering visiting a bank with a note for the teller, but the last time I did that it didn't work out to well; the dye-pack and all!!!!)

Yeah, i know scanners are common enough, though i don't have one, but atleast i know someone who has, so i thought maybe you did too. I'm lucky just to have a computer (which was a gift).
    I understand you moneywise, i'm in the same boat, but since i only get a few christmas-presents each year (my parents & two sisters with family, no girlfriend and none of my friends have the habit of giving away stuff, we all lack money), i pretty much get to decide myself what they'll give me, so i atleast get something i want. So this year all i wanted was the books of Iommi, Ozzy, Sharpe-Youngs SBS & Popoff's FAQ, and that's all i got. (plus a nice picture of my one-and-a-half year old nephew to hang on the wall.)

Been thinking about some bank myself, but... oh, the hassle... I'm thinking more something like going to some middle-of-nowhere place and do a shop in the middle of the night. I've seen it work out very good for others several times. Not only cash, but tobacco & beer too ;-)
    Last edited by Billy Underdog; 01-14-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Banned

I'm still tryin' to get rid of my third state number, and after five terms, they're really gonna come down on me hard next time. I have no violence or anything of that nature, but with the enhancements California gives felons>>>a year for each prison prior/repeat criminal act/ etc...a 2 year bid turns into 6 or 7 years total!!! I'm done (I hope).

Thumbsup

really cool story i have no doubt of your honesty really,cause i have similar stories of tracking them down, in fact that bill ward drum clinic (you mentioned)was it the one held at MI-Music Institute off of hollywood blvd in early 1985?? i was there !! i snuck in to catch it,met ozzy at devonshire studios in '1990 with help of my buddy mike inez,
    and tony and geezer backstage in devore'97 ozzfest to complete my avatar,hey man i like to see you LP-thats a really cool ass collectible to have signed i got bill only on my sbs.
    i know how hard it is to get something like that fully signed especially when they were'nt together as a band.
    they were all nice people,bill was especially humble guy,found out geezer collects star wars action figures and i turned ozzy on to some Beatles Bootleg cds,he litterally shooke in surprize when i gave them to him,he invited me in to see couple hours of vocal recordings that eventually was no more tears lp, so yeah living in LA has some advantages,i always knew ozzy was living at sunset marquis,also he was living at one on one studios off of lankershim-shit i caught metallica three times (jaymz) while they were recording the black album i even gave jaymz directions to (MUSONIA) Delores Rhoads School down the street,told him she would love to meet him,i never found out if he went,but it was few blocks from studio,so with a little info you can catch them,right now i'm wondering what studio they are using to record the new one-record plant?? i don't know anybody who knows this info--i love to catch all at once-that would be a day to remember there!
    yeah man,thanx for sharing story i dug it!
    Last edited by mikesline; 01-14-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabbathite View Post
    I'm still tryin' to get rid of my third state number, and after five terms, they're really gonna come down on me hard next time. I have no violence or anything of that nature, but with the enhancements California gives felons>>>a year for each prison prior/repeat criminal act/ etc...a 2 year bid turns into 6 or 7 years total!!! I'm done (I hope).
    I thought there was this three strikes-thing in the U.S? But yeah, stay away from bad shit, a prison-life is nothing one would like to have, especially over there as i understand.
    Luckily i've only been caught with possesion of hashish some 6 or 7 times, and smuggling one time, which isn't that bad. I was able to make a payment-plan on the fines so i avoided going to prison. The day i go to prison my life is over...

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikesline View Post
    really cool story i have no doubt of your honesty really,cause i have similar stories of tracking them down, in fact that bill ward drum clinic (you mentioned)was it the one held at MI-Music Institute off of hollywood blvd in early 1985?? i was there !! i snuck in to catch it,met ozzy at devonshire studios in '1990 with help of my buddy mike inez,
    and tony and geezer backstage in devore'97 ozzfest to complete my avatar,hey man i like to see you LP-thats a really cool ass collectible to have signed i got bill only on my sbs.
    i know how hard it is to get something like that fully signed especially when they were'nt together as a band.
    they were all nice people,bill was especially humble guy,found out geezer collects star wars action figures and i turned ozzy on to some Beatles Bootleg cds,he litterally shooke in surprize when i gave them to him,he invited me in to see couple hours of vocal recordings that eventually was no more tears lp, so yeah living in LA has some advantages,i always knew ozzy was living at sunset marquis,also he was living at one on one studios off of lankershim-shit i caught metallica three times (jaymz) while they were recording the black album i even gave jaymz directions to (MUSONIA) Delores Rhoads School down the street,told him she would love to meet him,i never found out if he went,but it was few blocks from studio,so with a little info you can catch them,right now i'm wondering what studio they are using to record the new one-record plant?? i don't know anybody who knows this info--i love to catch all at once-that would be a day to remember there!
    yeah man,thanx for sharing story i dug it!
    Man, i really wish i could live somewhere like L.A. You don't know how lucky you are... Though Trondheim is a pretty cool city too, but there aren't that many rock-stars to meet, and the few who's here isn't THAT big... :-P

Banned

Hey Mikesline,
    No I got Bill's at a drum clinic later than '85 cause I know Tony's was the first one I got and that was in 85 or 86...I went to a Bill clinic in Covina or Glendora area...can't remember the name of the music (instruments, not records) store. My Geezer autograph says either "Lots of Love" or "Lots of Luck Geezer Butler"...Ozzy just signed and I felt a bit strange asking him to personalize it a bit more afterwards (like how Tony actually said ",,,to Steve" with his)....and Bill's is his big initials with a cross and something like "Drums" and "Sabbath" above and below the horizontal part of the cross. It is hard for me to make out exactly.
    You are right about living where we do...I am about 15 miles from where you saw OZZFEST. I am right up the street from where Randy is at, and met Delores Rhoads there more than once and she gave me a "Randy Rhoads A Tribute 1956-1982" which is like a memorial booklet with a cd and she personally signed it to me. Other artists I have met that all signed "To Steve" or something to that affect (I like it better like that, though to ever sell them it decreases its value) are Brian May/Roger Taylor/Alice Cooper/ Gillan/ Roger Waters....and the most amazing experience I've had, besides being on the Queen Mary in Long Beach for the celebration and party put on by Hollywood Records to celebrate the release of Queen Innuendo LP and the 20 years anniversary of that band (2/2/1991)....met Metallica too there besides Brian and Roger and a bunch of others...and in this I shit you not, I played Brian May in a game of pinball in the front room of his home in 1993 in Hancock Park on the afternoon of the evening in which he played a gig in Hollywood at The Palace in support of his Back To The Light Lp. Out of all of them, if you were to say today my full name to any of them, they would surely say "who"??...except for Brian. I've met him and been invited by him to where he knows me by name. That is really one gracious and humble guy. Yeah, I'll try to get to a scanner, or next time I go to the beach where my sister lives. Out!

those are cool memories to have,big time classic rock starz there.
    growing up here in valley i used to get together with guys from armored saint-john,joey,gonzo and ray gillen used to meet at a high school in van nuys play some basketball
    few times,also grew up with mike inez here in san fernando--minor starz compared to queen & guests but more of a personal level,i was there at every badlands show
    anthrax gigs too when john joined up with them--had some after party shows that were pretty wild.. i also just heard sabbath are going back to england to record the new album,guest to be closer to tony,he is only one who resides in uk-so my chances of cahtching them around town went down the tubes!

ps.yeah bills signes it-- R WARD-DRUMS AND SONGS-most of time-"R"--why??