Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Forbidden is a great album

Just got through listening to this album and I gotta say it's a great album. Mix might not be the greatest I've heard but wow. It's a lot better than I remember it being. Iommi shreds on it and martins vocals are stellar. Definitely an overlooked nugget of gold in the sabs catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by maestro View Post
    Just got through listening to this album and I gotta say it's a great album. Mix might not be the greatest I've heard but wow. It's a lot better than I remember it being. Iommi shreds on it and martins vocals are stellar. Definitely an overlooked nugget of gold in the sabs catalog.
    Same here. I used to think that it was the worst sabbath album in the catalog. Its the worst martin era album but not worst overall.

Agreed. Kiss of death is such an epic tune.

I love Forbidden, and I actually prefer it to Headless Cross, which is extremely overrated. Forbidden is definitely the most underrated album in the Sabbath catalogue.

I love the music on Forbidden, but the vocals don't fit at all. Tony Martin sounds bored and uninspired throughout the entire album.

forbidden is good

It's a good album, but imo it lacks a band feeling. You can tell that Cozy isn't that excited about being back in Sabbath, and that his drums are produced by someone who has no idea whatsoever about what he is doing. Also, Tony Martin sounds unsure and a bit tired, which actually helps the album become more emotional. As an isolated product it is quite good, except the production, but you can tell it was the end of it all really, it wasn't a healthy album for the band to make. I like all songs off the album but some are among the "worst" Sabbath tracks, for example "Can't Get Close Enough" and "Forbidden". Some riffs are just mindblowing though, such as the outro riff in "Get a Grip". The better tracks are strong, such as "Kiss of Death" and "Shaking off the Chains", but they can't beat for example "Gypsy" that brings up Technical Ecstasy. It is my second least favorite Sabbath album overall, just above Never Say Die.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My band's Reverbnation page:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/Oracleswe

never say die is great

I really like Forbidden, its sorely underrated. Its cover art does it no good though, probably the major reason it flopped, couldn't have been for the music.
    "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
    http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Quote Originally Posted by MH1986 View Post
    I really like Forbidden, its sorely underrated. Its cover art does it no good though, probably the major reason it flopped, couldn't have been for the music.
    I've always liked the cover art.

i like the forbidden cover art it kind of reminds me of the first albums cover art

I remember Tony Iommi jamming with a lot of MTV-Bands from the day, he was exploring and trying to innovate within his style. I don't know about any other guitar legend who has tried to do anything like that.

Tony Iommi dared to try things "out of the box", and I think that's why the album is called "Forbidden". He tried things that a strict Ozzy-Era Fan would consider Forbidden.

The Album was mixed by a rapper, I think Iommi overdid the experimentation thing with that.

That seems to be the reason why a new mix is expected to come with the remaster.

I listened to the soundboard tracks, and they rock. They do not include any vocals, but you can feel the difference. If you don't like much how the album sounds, the soundboard might change your mind.

I am looking forward to listen to that remastered Forbidden...
    You and I, Victims of this World, as the Masters of Power try to poison our World.
    Greed, Money's taken over their Souls, they're just Mechanical Brains.
    Politicians don't know, they just don't!
    Know... Know... Know...

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    The Album was mixed by a rapper, I think Iommi overdid the experimentation thing with that.
    Lol, Ernie C is absolutely NOT a rapper. He's a guitarist who is into metal and hardcore. Being black doesn't make you a rapper.

Having said that, Forbidden is still awful. Even Tony Martin (pretty much the only person involved with Sabbath who has anything good to say about the Martin-era) says so himself.
    RIFFS

I used to post as Riffs here but lost my details.

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Riffs View Post
    Lol, Ernie C is absolutely NOT a rapper. He's a guitarist who is into metal and hardcore. Being black doesn't make you a rapper.

Having said that, Forbidden is still awful. Even Tony Martin (pretty much the only person involved with Sabbath who has anything good to say about the Martin-era) says so himself.
    I guess I was confused because Ice T sang on "Illusion of Power".
    You and I, Victims of this World, as the Masters of Power try to poison our World.
    Know... Know... Know...

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    I guess I was confused because Ice T sang on "Illusion of Power".
    Ernie C was the guitar player for the group Body Count, which Ice T was also in.
    Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Led Rush View Post
    Ernie C was the guitar player for the group Body Count, which Ice T was also in.
    That was it, I guess that's how I came to think the guy was a rapper.
    Know... Know... Know...

Yeah Ernie C's stage name is kinda misleading. It sounds like a rapper name but he is actually the lead guitarist of a heavy metal band. Talk about strange haha.

I'd been waiting to get a remaster or reissue of Forbidden, but who knows how long that will be given Tony's health situation and the "reunion." Just won a copy on eBay for under $20 (with shipping), so I'm pretty happy. The only Martin-era album I need now is Headless Cross, which I had at one time but my ex-girlfriend walked off with it.

Even Tony Martin (pretty much the only person involved with Sabbath who has anything good to say about the Martin-era) says so himself.
    You forgot Cozy Powell, Neil Murray and Geoff Nicholls :D Just messing with you, I get your point. It's a shame that Tony Iommi seems to have so negative feelings towards Tony Martin though, lots and lots of great music never got the chance of being created because of that. Instead we got pointless reunions and solo albums...
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)

Forbidden is good??????

It is. Listening to it now. First time in a long while. All I have to say is "KISS OF DEATH!"

Quote Originally Posted by KazolOrajia View Post
    I love Forbidden, and I actually prefer it to Headless Cross, which is extremely overrated. Forbidden is definitely the most underrated album in the Sabbath catalogue.
    I wouldn't go that far, but I do prefer it to Cross Purposes, which has some great songs but is a little flat sounding at times. Regardless, it doesn't deserve all of the negativity directed at it over the years. Its a great heavy metal album.

Default ...

I think its their least mature album, but clearly not a bad one. It sounds rather commercial and over-produced to me.

Tony Martin was referring to the vibe he got while recording the album, not the songs themselves.
    "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
    http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

This album sounds so much better without vocals...

Can't Get Close Enough, Shaking Off The Chains and I Won't Cry For You are 3 of the most powerful back to back songs on any of the Tony Martin Sabbath era albums. Forbidden has a raw and heavy quality to it, that is less polished and glossed over. It's almost a step back into the early 70's era Sabbath/crunching Iommi riffs. This album is criminally overlooked and underrated.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

The Dehumanizer album with Dio was FAR FROM pointless.

There were some decent riffs and all, but kinda crappy over all. The only post-Ozzy Sabbath album I think my Dad likes more than I do
    My Rock, Alternative, and Metal review page:

http://deadrockanthem.blogspot.com/

I get REAL tired of the guys in Sabbath bashing this album or ANY Martin era album!!! Forbidden is a great album, and I have many good memories of it. It is the least best Martin album, but still really good. It beats the SHIT out of Technical Ecstasy, Seventh Star (even though that's really an Iommi solo record) and Never Say Die. Just like Iron Maiden's The X Factor, it's a great album hindered with shitty production. I really hope Iommi comes through and remixes and remasters Forbidden so we can have total perfection. I believe it may win over a few more fans (at least the ones that will actually give it a chance). As far as ice T and Ernie C go, I LOVE the first and last Body Count albums, and Ernie C is a GREAT metal guitarist and songwriter, imo. But him and Ice T cannot produce metal albums if their lives counted on it. Why Iommi allowed them to produce Forbidden, I'll never know, but they should have listened to Body Count's Copkiller. GREAT album with, once again, bad production (that needs a remix and remaster too!). I even would say with the new remix of Forbidden, get ANOTHER guest vocalist to redo Ice T's part, somebody that would fit the album better, like Blaze Bayley!!! He would be GREAT to redo Ice T's part!!! He's got a really deep and powerful voice, like ice T, but fits the atmosphere better.

Well pretty sure that won't happen, they wont be rerecording parts.
    Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

One great song, Kiss Of Death, the rest is garbage, not worthy to be labeled Black Sabbath imo.

Kinda Agree - I think the album art isn't too bad
    The first 4 tracks on the album don't fit on a Sabbath album in my opinion but the rest are not too bad, Cozy's drumming is good but not his usual hard hitting self but that wasn't his fault it was Ernie C. Who told him to be more 'Hip' cause that's what kids are into damn you Ernie C! And The Illusion Of Power "COULD" have been a good track "IF" they cut out Ice-T vocals don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of BodyCount but Rap doesn't fit on a Black Sabbath album right?! I don't think Tony Martin's vocals were tired I think the whole band realized the mistake they made getting a 'hip-hop/rapper' to produce the album, should have don't it themselves or Sharon on board again. (Hindsight's a bitch)

I was listening to the Forbidden CD yesterday, is it me or does that album sound more Sabbathy than the other Martin records?

I've been giving all the Martin records a spin lately, as I wasn't that fond of the Martin era, the only downside to the Forbidden album is Ice-T being on it.

Who writes the lyrics on the Martin era records?
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, is convincing the world he doesn't exist!

Pain and Poison Roses

Agreed. Kiss of death is such an epic tune.
    Agreed. Lots of great tracks on that album. Sick and Tired, Guilty as Hell, I Won't Cry For You... I used to love the title track but I've kind of grown out of it. Granted Get A Grip is political and related to what was happening at the time in Africa, you could make the case with todays society and all the shootings, the song is just as relevant now as it was when it was written.

I just got done listening to the whole Forbidden album, on cassette of course, the only Martina era CD I have is Eternal Idol, deluxe edition.

I like the entire album, I like it better than any other Martin era album, not one bad song on there, Illusion Of Power is awesome, except for the Ice-T talk in it, I enjoyed the whole album from beginning to end, the songs actually had my head bopping back and forth, something the Martin era tends not to do.

For someone who always had every single Sabbath album, but never paid much attention to the Martin stuff, I am liking it. Funny thing is that I happen to like the Martin album that a lot of people dislike and say it's one of their worst, I truly like the Forbidden album it's Sabbathy to me and more so than the other Martin material.

Now I have to try and acquire this on CD, the cassette is old and the sound not so good, I wish they would release the Tony Martin era Black Box, it's difficult to get the Martin era on CD, they seem to be out of print and hard to get. But I will be trying!
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, is convincing the world he doesn't exist!

Is there a different Black Sabbath album called Forbidden somewhere? What album is this that you rave about? The Forbidden CD I own totally sucks.

The best things about Forbidden:
    1. The cover art--very cool.
    2. I own a mint copy on CD and they don't make 'em anymore. It'll probably remain in mint condition--cause I sure as hell ain't playin' it.

To each their own, I'm glad someone's lovin' it.
    And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

Forbidden is the most Sabbath sounding of the Tony Martin albums, the one I listen to most.

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    Is there a different Black Sabbath album called Forbidden somewhere? What album is this that you rave about? The Forbidden CD I own totally sucks.

2. I own a mint copy on CD and they don't make 'em anymore. It'll probably remain in mint condition--cause I sure as hell ain't playin' it.

All the Martin era albums are good. Forbidden is a cool listen.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    Who writes the lyrics on the Martin era records?
    On Eternal Idol it was a collaboration including Ray Gillen, Bob Daisley, Geoff Nicholls and I wouldn't be surprised if there's 200 more people who were in the band for 2 seconds and contributed one word each The rest of the TM era albums are mostly Martin's own lyrics, I think Geoff helped him out when he needed it but it feels like he wrote them almost all by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post

It's a strange CD, very easy to hate I guess. I love the somehow flawed band atmosphere on the album, reminds me of TE and NSD. But it's not my favorite TM era album and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone getting into the era as first or second album. I don't think I would have been able to appreciate Forbidden without having heard all the previous albums first and knowing some about its history. Having said that, I listened to some songs off the album today while on shuffle and it really is mindblowing now that I got into it. Easily the most personal and emotional of Martin's albums, and with the band working in a never-ending uphill struggle with the lousy producer it really creates this cool insecure vibe for Martin to deliver his insecure lyrics over... I just love it, such a strange album!

Quote Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
    On Eternal Idol it was a collaboration including Ray Gillen, Bob Daisley, Geoff Nicholls and I wouldn't be surprised if there's 200 more people who were in the band for 2 seconds and contributed one word each The rest of the TM era albums are mostly Martin's own lyrics, I think Geoff helped him out when he needed it but it feels like he wrote them almost all by himself.

It's a strange CD, very easy to hate I guess. I love the somehow flawed band atmosphere on the album, reminds me of TE and NSD. But it's not my favorite TM era album and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone getting into the era as first or second album. I don't think I would have been able to appreciate Forbidden without having heard all the previous albums first and knowing some about its history. Having said that, I listened to some songs off the album today while on shuffle and it really is mindblowing now that I got into it. Easily the most personal and emotional of Martin's albums, and with the band working in a never-ending uphill struggle with the lousy producer it really creates this cool insecure vibe for Martin to deliver his insecure lyrics over... I just love it, such a strange album!
    How cool and Sabbathy is the song Forbidden? I Won't Cry For You, Illusion Of Power, good songs on that album, with a rocking thrust to them.