Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't relate

Quote Originally Posted by KHH View Post
    IommoiRules and Josef_K >> A bit weird that he stayed on for a few more years then but it might not have been all the time and perhaps not that bad either.
    Well if you think about it at least I think it makes sense. With Rainbow Rising, Dio began to realize the band wasn't going to last, at least not for his part. On the other hand, I still think he thought of Ritchie as THE best guitar player as well as a great song writer. He had his first and perhaps only (as far as he knew) chance to go on a real world tour and be heard by so many people. This is not the confident Dio that has his own band and tours the world we are talking about. We are talking about an unknown random guy full of dreams and a great voice, there are many around. Without Rainbow, Dio would probably never have been introduced to Iommi (yeah right that Sharon would recommend someone from a band like ELF...) and therefore the band Dio would probably never have happened either. He probably wanted to go back to ELF but felt that he had this one shot and wanted to see how far it could take him. He made the right decision imo, I think most people would agree on that.

@Sabbathite
    Yeah I understand, you like it when lyrics are more clearly about the real world and you dislike fantasy-inspired imagery, for the most part at least. That's all good, as long as you know that some people (quite a lot actually) really do relate to fantasy, even though it sounds weird that someone would. I recently discovered the "Animals" album, I have no idea what has held me back from that album until now, probably the song titles and the fact that they aren't on Spotify... Anyway the album is both musically and lyrically a current favorite of mine, I can't wait for my vinyl copy to arrive!!

"Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream"

That's what I call Poetry, like it or not monster boy
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

For those interested , I wrote a detailed interpretation of Stargazer & Light In the Black ( same story line split ed over two classic songs)

Stargazer & Light in the Black

Somewhere in time, when the world was milk and honey, and the magic was strong and true, along came the mighty Wizard, a Stargazer with such knowledge and power the ancient lands of the Pharaohs have never witnessed before. For years he had those vision and dreams, ,gathering the meek inheriting his kingdom of gold from everywhere in order to build the tower of stone, a tower which would take him up to the sky to that one star, a star that would fill his greed and passion for power and glory , from there on the story begins , a story of a slave who have left his home , people and own dreams in order to fulfill the wizards overwhelming possession for exceptional power.

• Cozy Powell’s drum break and the band blasting into the main eastern riff
    Indicates the timeline and place, a thousand of years back …
    "High noon, oh I'd sell my soul for water Nine years worth of breakin' my back"
    Through out all those years of enslavement and suffering the slave miraculously still managed to survive ,its been “Nine years” of blood , sweat and tears to build and construct the enormous tower of stone yet , he truly believes that the purpose and reason are just “worth of breakin” his back .

"There's no sun in the shadow of the wizard See how he glides, why he's lighter than air? Oh I see his face!"
    The lines shows the how the slave/narrator and the other slaves were overwhelmed and disillusioned by the Wizard presence since the slave claims that “there’s no sun” in the shadow of the wizard, as if his presence re-fuels their power and passion of believing in what they’ve been enslaved for, dying and suffering for the last 9 nine year. Indicating that his field presence is such a spiritual uplifting one! Since the slaves are so disillusioned to believe that the wizards shadow ‘power/magic’ can keep them away from the tormenting sun. The wizard seemed to wickedly over use his power and knowledge of magic within the working field keeping in mind the deep impact of his appearance on his enslaved souls."Oh I see his face!” Seeing the wizards face, the Slave inner conscious seems to fight back his bewitched and ripped mind questioning why all those years of blood, sweat and tears were worth the suffering, a voice screams from the inside

"Where is your star? Is it far, is it far, is it far? When do we leave? I believe, yes, I believe"

Ronnie’s voice expressing the narrators seems to hold a complex mixture of anxious, curious, interrogative , and hidden anger towards the wizard , wondering “ where is your star ?” questioning “ is it far ?” , “ when do we leave ?” when will it all end ? the slave strength and spirit seems to weakens yet still tries to convince himself that he still truly believe in what he have been doing “ I believe yes , I believe”

A stream of memories starts attacking the slave’s mind
    "In the heat and the rain With the whips and chains To see him fly So many die We built a tower of stone With our flesh and bone Just to see him fly But don't know why Now where do we go?"Metaphorically, the terms “heat and the rain” seems to present the timeline factor building the tower of stone while “whips and chains” symbolizes all the obstacles and the price they had to pay in order to fulfill their dream (which they thought & believe it was their own) while the truth is that they’ve been overpowered, mind wise to deeply believe that! “We built the tower of stone with our flesh and bone just to see him fly” and “But we don’t know why?” reflects the slave’s blind faith into the Wizard’s power, magic and dream “Now where do we go?" again, the slave seems to be within an inner fear contradiction between what he always thought is true and believed with his heart while on the other hand he cannot bear questioning what’s coming after, his been wasting all his life to build the tower of stone blindingly following his faith into the wizard magic , yet what’s beyond wizard seeks his star ?

"Hot wind, moving fast across the desert We feel that our time has arrived The world spins, while we put his dream together A tower of stone to take him straight to the sky Oh I see his face!"

With the tower of stone almost completed the slaves feels that their “time has arrived” “The world spins, while we put his dream together” spinning here symbolizes the day, nights and years that have passed over the slaves in order to get the tower constructed.

"In the heat and the rain With the whips and chains Just to see him fly Too many die We built a tower of stone With our flesh and bone To see him fly But we don't know why Ooh, now where do we go"

The 2nd chorus is followed by one of Ritchie’s most expressive and dramatic solos in his long spanning music career –
    • The Beginning of the solo starting from the minute 3:22 represents the scene were thousands of people and slaves are gathered for the moment that they’ve been all looking for , the tower is completed and the wizard is moving surrounded by a royal ceremony to his beloved tower.
    • 3:50 – He reaches the tower, looks at the enormous crowd, looks back up high again to the sky where the end of the huge architectural construction seems to never end.
    • 4:35 – The conducted orchestra rise along in the mixing with the band reflecting the wizard’s greed , passion and curiosity moving up on the towers staircase to reach up to his star ‘ dream’ .
    • 5:00 – The complex music sound and drama reaches its climatic pick when the Wizard reaches the top of the tower filled with his crazy , delusional and power hungry minded thoughts attempting to fly and reach out to his star , the wizard instead falls from the “top of the world” straight to the ground ( Ritchie abstracts this scene perfectly at the very end of his solo , reflecting the fall of the wizard )

"All eyes see the figure of the wizard As he climbs to the top of the world No sound, as he falls instead of rising Time standing still, then there's blood on the sand Oh I see his face!"
    Deadly silence hits the field as the thoughts and believes of the crowd and slaves through all these years of suffering shatters into little pieces with the fall of their ruler. As the wizard falls and “then there's blood on the sand” the dream comes to an end and the slave awakes metaphorically, to realize he's been somehow fooled into the wizard’s own magic and dream’! With all the chaos consequences to the death of the wizard and the slave realizing that his mind have been fogged by false believes he moves to the dead body of the wizard and with all the anger, hatred and pain screams at the wizards in a fury hallucination.

"Where was your star? Was it far, was it far When did we leave? We believed, we believed, we believed"
    And remembers…
    " In heat and rain With the whips and chains To see him fly So many died We built a tower of stone With our flesh and bone To see him fly But why In all the rain With all the chains Did so many die Just to see him fly"

The Slave grabs the body of the wizard and furiously starts screaming to the stunned deadly face "Look at my flesh and bone Now, look, look, look, look, Look at the tower of stone" the slaves unconsciously asks the wizard to look at all the suffering he have caused to him by enslaving them for all those years to construct his tower.

"I see a RAINBOW RISING Look there, on the horizon "

With the spell broken and his disillusioned believes shattered, through out all his emptiness, loneliness and although he might haven’t found his own star ‘dream’ yet , he sees hope coming through he sees a” RAINBOW RISING” on the horizon with the rainbow metaphorically symbolizing hope and a truly new beginning for himself.

"And I'm coming home, I'm coming home, I'm coming home"
    With heart full of passion and true will to get back home ‘find himself’

"Take me back; take me back to my home ooh, ooh, ooh"
    With tears and frustration he shouts at the wizard’s dead body asking him to take him back home , back to his people & family he have been abducted from all those years , metaphorically , the word home symbolizes the slaves own self, his own dreams .

“Time is standing still you, give back my will Ooh ooh ooh ooh Going home I'm going home" "My eyes are bleeding and my heart is lead ahead But it's not home But it's not home Ooh"

The Slave have finally awaken from the wizard spell, now its up to his own will to decide what to do “give back my will “.Still in confused, frustrated and hurt for all those wasted years his “eyes are bleeding” and “heart is lead ahead” yet he finally realizes the ultimate truth that “it's not home” its not his dream and actually never was his own.

"Take me back, take me back, back to my home ooh, ooh, ooh"

The Slave still tore between his past, present and future, a stream of contradicting thoughts and feelings seems to flow through his mind and soul, he wants to get back to himself, to his own dream ‘Home’ yet traces of the broken spell and his disbeliefs to what have happened to his ruler still sends the shivers down his spine .The song fades out leading to seconds classic cut of our epic Light In The Black.

• Cozy Powell drum breaks and the band attacks with a hard driving riff
    • The up-tempo beat of the song indicates that the slave have finally broke free of the wizards spell , escaping from the tower field rushing into the desert in order to get back to his own home .

"Can't forget his face, what a lonely place
    Has he really let us go?"

Although he had finally escaped , the slave “cant forget his face” and looks around in the plain desert wondering “what a lonely place” Still cant believe that its all over and that his totally free from the wizards control and illusions his disturbed mind questions “Has he really let us go?"

"All the time that's lost
    what’s the final cost
    will I really get away?"
    "All my life it seems
    just a crazy dream
    reaching for somebody's star"

Still feeling hurt and despaired, he regrets "All the time that's lost” mocking in irony the “final cost” , in fear and disbelief he wonders will he “really get away?" , he remembers those past years of suffering and seems to blame him self “reaching for somebody's star" or in other words , following someone else’s dream.

"Something's called me back
    there’s a light in the black
    and I’m ready to go
    I'm coming home"

Resisting his feelings of all the emptiness and despair, he starts listening to the voice deep inside him calling to get back, back to his own home, family and land, metaphorically calling back to his own will and dreams, there is hope “light” in all the loneliness and despair “black” his going through, his spirits seems to rise again and he tends to believe that he will eventually be “coming home".

"Breathed the air before
    Heard the thunder roar
    never knew it was for me"

The slave remembers all the air ‘life’ he have wasted before, remembers the “thunder roar” which reflected and symbolizes his inner warfare of being control ,fooled and his own self will of rejecting the fact of following someone else dream .

"Like an open door
    that you passed before
    but you never had a key
    He have passed the open doors ‘life’ before , but he never knew what was it all about , he never knew the purpose , never knew himself , never had his own “key”

"Always looking down
    Lost and never found
    Eyes that look but not to see"

Locked with a tyranny of souls into the wizard’s magic and realm of illusions, the slave’s life have for years been ruined by following the wizard’s desire and over possess for exceptional power. He never aimed to look for his own dreams and fortune, he may have departed, he may have escaped, yet his still feels all the loneliness and emptiness of the world, his still looking for his home, looking for himself ,still “Lost and never found”, he has the “Eyes that look” yet he cant really “see” the truth, he cant find his path, he cant find himself, help himself.

Remembers with his soul full of pain, agony and shame ….

”All my life it seems
    just a crazy dream
    He haven’t lost his faith , with all his strength and power his going to fight back his nightmares cause he now have all the love , purpose ,desire and reason to get back…
    there’s a light in the black

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, yeah
    I'm going back to my home"

• The bands gets locked within the mid section of the song where Ritchie Carey and Cozy seems to stretch out on their instruments , the mind-boggling groove and drum breaks by Cozy seems to reflect the inner warfare the slave is getting through , his determined and willing to pull himself together to find his journey back home ,and it seems his mind are soul are clear of illus ional interruption forever

• Ronnie with an unbelievable convincing and expressive vocals represent the Slave’s successful attempt to finally break all the obstacles to get back home , he screams With certainty …

“I'm going home, home, home
    Going home, home, home
    I'm coming back "

"Don't forget his face
    What a lonely place
    Did he really let us go

All the time that's lost
    What's the final cost
    Will I really get away?

All my life it seems
    just a crazy dream

Days have passed and yet his still tired, lost and despaired, hope seems to slips away from his soul once again, he still wonders will he “really get away?” get back home ? Once again he tends to resist …
    like a light in the black
    Yes; I’m ready to go
    I'm coming home, home, yeah"
    Exhausted, lying by the sand looking at the moon, and endless bleached sand , the slave shivers from head to toe , he have finally his way back home ! Looking at the endless darkness of the universe, he has finally found his “Light in the Black”, sighting that huge star in the sky, he knows his way back home , he will follow the path of the stars in order to get his way back home! The irony and drama tops the mountain at the end of the song as the slave might never get to know or realize that this one star he have picked in order to get back to his home , was once in a life time , the infinite desire of another man , the wizard !
    Stargazer/light in the black comes finally to end spanning over 18 minutes of pure music odyssey, a class epic about overcoming the obstacles ‘Black’ reaching out for your own hope & dreams ‘light’ It’s about knowing what you want and never getting your self ‘whipped and chained’ into someone else dream, it’s about the journey you should get through in order to find you’re your self recognizing ,your dream ‘star’ and simply becoming your one and only star, Stargazer!

Banned

WOW WHAT A LENGTHY POST. i DIDN'T READ IT, BUT I'M IMPRESSED NONETHELESS!!!

My take on Dio's lyrics is this: I like some of them a great deal, others not much at all. I'm a selfish listener, I take what meaning I want from Dio lyrics and don't really care what the intention was from the writer. And on that basis I find that I love the Mob Rules album above all of his other work. Nothing on that album speaks to me of 'fantasy' in the way RJD is so often accused - that to me is a generalisation, but I see where it comes from.

I'm not too keen on some of his later solo albums lyrically - something like Magica is a big turn off to me. But the first 2 solo albums plus Strange Highways are perfectly decent. Rainbow stuff is a mixed bag and Heaven & Hell is half really good, half not so much (good = Die Young for example). Dehumanizer was a little unoriginal for me.

...but Mob Rules to me is as good as anything else by anyone, whether they be literal or 'fantasy' - it just provides me with excellent dark imagery which I find highly entertaining. Not a single dragon appears to me! (possibly SOTSC is the one track that goes too far for me lyrically, but it's still a great tune).
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    I'm a selfish listener, I take what meaning I want from Dio lyrics and don't really care what the intention was from the writer.
    Actually, Dio said himself very many times that something like this was his intention, and that was one of the motives he never liked to explain on paper what he himself thought about a given lyrics.

IRON-Man: Sorry, but to me that is not an interpretation, that is just expanding what the lyrics say without any kind of looking beneath the surface value of the lyrics. I don't relate to it at all!

Josef_K >> Makes sense in a way. The good sides were so good that he could live with the bad ones. A little bit... harsh or something to write lyrics about (if that now is the case) but emotional people are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Boy View Post
    Here are the lyrics for Stargazer (repetitions omitted)

High noon, oh I'd sell my soul for water

Clearly a metaphor for the city of Cortland, which was experiencing a famous drought when the members of Elf started out

Nine years worth of breakin' my back

The band Elf had been together for exactly 9 years at this point (1967-1975, if you add a year)

There's no sun in the shadow of the wizard
    See how he glides, why he's lighter than air?

Ritchie Blackmore stood at least 9 feet tall. No, obviously not actually that tall, but he was certainly a "towering figure" if you will, in the field of rock music. His fingers would glide over the fretboard as if they were lighter than air.

Oh I see his face!

Where is your star?
    Is it far, is it far, is it far?
    When do we leave?
    I believe, yes, I believe

In the beginning, they believed him and would do anything for him!)

In the heat and the rain
    With whips and chains

Ritchie was a noted sado-masochist who often forced Gary Driscoll to umm...well...ya know

To see him fly
    So many die
    We build a tower of stone
    With our flesh and bone
    Just to see him fly
    But don't know why
    Now where do we go?

Hot wind, moving fast across the desert
    Ritchie liked those snake charmer riffs. He was also known to not mind passing some serious gas after a good meal. The "hot wind" = "hot air" = "endless wanking solos."

We feel that our time has arrived
    The world spins, while we put his dream together
    A tower of stone to take him straight to the sky

Stone, clearly code for "rock" as in "rock band"

All eyes see the figure of the wizard
    As he climbs to the top of the world
    No sound, as he falls instead of rising
    Time standing still, then there's blood on the sand

Sadly, Ritchie died in 1975 and Elf had to trudge on without him. Wait a minute...

Take me back, take me back
    Back to my home ooh, ooh, ooh

The drought in cortland was over now, so the members of Elf went back home and had some pie

THE END!!

That was for fun people. My serious evaluation: Yes, there are ways in which one could interpret this to be about Elf and Rainbow and such, you could also say it is a parable about any dictator. Now, the fact that it is a parable doesn't in itself make it "good". Lots of people can come up with parables. The question comes down to whether or not the writing flows, whether there are no clunky images and so on. "Whips and Chains" is maybe not the best line somebody could have come up with, hot wind blowing across the desert is pretty cool, "to see him fly" is kinda silly sounding. It's not poetry, it's rock lyrics people. My opinion of course, maybe this is actually much better than Coleridge or Shakespeare, I'm just too dumb to see it
    That is a very interesting interpretation of Stargazer....I personally do not agree at all, but it is interesting non the less...and I haven't really ever even thought about Stargazer being about Ritchie. And as far as I know, Ronnie and Ritchie got along great in the early days of Rainbow...

This just shows what an amazing lyricist Ronnie was and how his lyrics can have several different interpretations...actually I think Ronnie himself said that there can be as many interpretations as there are listeners. I agree with that 100%.
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

It's just tunes. You guys are thinking about it too hard. Just enjoy the tune.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    It's just tunes. You guys are thinking about it too hard. Just enjoy the tune.
    Joe, yups you're right it's just tunes to be enjoyed, anyways we love thinking about it and also having a good laugh about it! This topic is hugely entertaining!

Yeah, Joe is right, you guys should like, go out and like, get laid or some shit. Har!!Har!!Har!!
    Defender Of The Faith

It's not just tunes, it's a way of life :D
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b