Banned

Default TV CRIMES....now those are some lyrics that

"every penny from the people keeps the wolf outside the door"

Now these are some lyrics I can relate to....most definitely Sab w/Dio's best. No dragons, castles, warlocks, rainbows, or fantasy dream sequences.....just straight from the gut....I wonder if Geezer helped out on these?

Lyrics or not, its that Baseline that says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by sabbathite View Post
    I wonder if Geezer helped out on these?
    Yeah, he did. He told Dio to swich all the knights in his lyrics with robots, and all the dragons with computers...
    Take a brake from your values!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Yeah, he did. He told Dio to swich all the knights in his lyrics with robots, and all the dragons with computers...
    Something like that... ^^ He also wrote some of the lyrics himself, didn't someone confirm that "Master of Insanity" was in large part written by Geezer, both musically while in GZR and lyrically? But yeah, Dehumanizer kicked off Dio's aggressive and dark "I hate everything and everything hates me" era. Dehumanizer and Strange Highways are great albums imo, some lyrics could have been better but most are great. "Angry Machines" is a failure to my ears though, he took it too far. Though he ended that album with picking up his true epic poetical style again in the song "This is Your Life".
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    THIS is the quote of the day

Actually, what Dio did throughout his career was to tell a few very long stories, with many lyrics intertwined. In the middle of that, there's been plenty of silly lyrics ("I'm on a caravan to superman" being one even with its Nietzschian undertones). All in all, it's been mostly rather deep stuff that we could discuss. But definitely not appealing to the people who can only relate to day to day things that have to do with people's life - which is something the original Sabbs did much better, with the occasional silly lyrics as well.

Dehumanizer (and Angry Machines, and Strange Highways) were a departure form that, with Dio bowing to the grey 90s and writing about life events more than what's underneath them. I found it very uninteresting in terms of lyrics... I much prefered when he got back on track, with songs like Breaking Into Heaven, which I find one of Dio's and Black Sabbath's best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
    Didn't someone confirm that "Master of Insanity" was in large part written by Geezer, both musically while in GZR and lyrically?
    Yes, that song does exist in demo form recorded around 1987 by the Geezer Butler Band. It's basically the same song both musically and lyrically, but as I recall Geezer didn't actually write any of it. Sabbath promised to pay the dude who wrote the song, but apparently never did or gave him credit. There may have been some other left over material from those sessions that got recycled on Dehumanizer, but I forget the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    Yes, that song does exist in demo form recorded around 1987 by the Geezer Butler Band. It's basically the same song both musically and lyrically, but as I recall Geezer didn't actually write any of it. Sabbath promised to pay the dude who wrote the song, but apparently never did or gave him credit. There may have been some other left over material from those sessions that got recycled on Dehumanizer, but I forget the details.
    Musically it's the same , but the lyrics are completely different , RJD wrote all the lyrics for 'Dehumanizer' , Geezer originally wrote a huge script sort of story line for Computer God which Ronnie built the whole lyrics and song around , Geezer's idea was too lengthy and included more details regarding the grim ripper nicked 'Dehumanizer' , Ronnie intelligently wrote his own interpretation of the story line in his own way and briefed it to fit the song.

Quote Originally Posted by nunoni View Post
    THIS is the quote of the day

Actually, what Dio did throughout his career was to tell a few very long stories, with many lyrics intertwined. In the middle of that, there's been plenty of silly lyrics ("I'm on a caravan to superman" being one even with its Nietzschian undertones). All in all, it's been mostly rather deep stuff that we could discuss. But definitely not appealing to the people who can only relate to day to day things that have to do with people's life - which is something the original Sabbs did much better, with the occasional silly lyrics as well.

Dehumanizer (and Angry Machines, and Strange Highways) were a departure form that, with Dio bowing to the grey 90s and writing about life events more than what's underneath them. I found it very uninteresting in terms of lyrics... I much prefered when he got back on track, with songs like Breaking Into Heaven, which I find one of Dio's and Black Sabbath's best ever.
    You can add many songs from 'Master of the moon' and 'The Devil You know' as well ! overall his brilliant career , Ronnie was definitely very versatile and diverse , while he wrote many songs that were solidly based on metaphors , he also managed to write a lot related to current and futuristic life events ( like many he did in his time with the Sabs) , not mention having the ability to write ballads and more mainstream rock themes ( 'Long live Rock N Roll' ) , what ever type of lyrics you enjoy , you will DEFINITELY something that suites your taste by Ronnie.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-MaN View Post
    Musically it's the same , but the lyrics are completely different , RJD wrote all the lyrics for 'Dehumanizer'.
    Yes, the Sabbath version of "Computer God" has been reworked quite extensively. I had a listen and the song I was thinking about was in fact "Master of Insanity" which is close to identical, both in music and lyrics, with the demo version by the Geezer Butler Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
    But yeah, Dehumanizer kicked off Dio's aggressive and dark "I hate everything and everything hates me" era. Dehumanizer and Strange Highways are great albums imo, some lyrics could have been better but most are great. "Angry Machines" is a failure to my ears though, he took it too far.
    I used to feel exactly the same! When RJD passed away, I played back his catalog for a long while (there's SO much stuff) and rediscovered some of it. To my surprise, Angry Machines was a lot better than I remembered. I dig Strange Highways as a sort of followup to Dehumanizer. It's very catchy although it lacks the Sabbath magic. It also gets tiresome after a while. I feel most the songs are a little formulaic and stale. Angry Machines is a lot harder to get into, the songs don't all start with a bang but it holds up much better in retrospect for me because they grow and evolve. I like it as much as Dehumanizer now, plus I think it's one album with a kickass, clear and powerful sound. It still has that "mechanical, apocalyptic" sound found on Dehumanizer and Strange Highways but is not over-processed like these two.
    RIFFS

I used to post as Riffs here but lost my details.

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Riffs View Post
    I used to feel exactly the same! When RJD passed away, I played back his catalog for a long while (there's SO much stuff) and rediscovered some of it. To my surprise, Angry Machines was a lot better than I remembered. I dig Strange Highways as a sort of followup to Dehumanizer. It's very catchy although it lacks the Sabbath magic. It also gets tiresome after a while. I feel most the songs are a little formulaic and stale. Angry Machines is a lot harder to get into, the songs don't all start with a bang but it holds up much better in retrospect for me because they grow and evolve. I like it as much as Dehumanizer now, plus I think it's one album with a kickass, clear and powerful sound. It still has that "mechanical, apocalyptic" sound found on Dehumanizer and Strange Highways but is not over-processed like these two.
    You nailed it!

Dehumanizer was overproduced, that's why I only really started loving it after hearing live recordings of it. It put the record in a completely different perspective. On first hearing, I simply hated Angry Machines, and now it is one of my favourite Dio albums.

Jesus, Mary & The Holy Ghost would have made an awesome Sabbath song and I think some of the stuff on Strange Highways was probably written with them in mind.

There are a lot of interviews about how Ronnie very much disliked the Angry Machines CD. Something along the lines of it trying to be too commercial. I like the CD. It is not my favorite Dio record, but there are some great songs on it.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

I love the lyrics on Dehumanizer to be honest. I think they suited the tone of the music. The album is undervalued overall IMO.

Can't say I'm a fan of the early 90's Dio albums, although they have their moments. Tracy G isn't great for a start. Especially live. His attempts at playing solos originally recorded by Iommi, Campbell and especially Blackmore were embarrassing.