Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default New Server on the way

This coming week, I'm likely going to be purchasing a new server for my hosted domains. The ones you know about are this one, the Cozy Powell site, my Texas Rangers site, dopefish.com, and a couple others I don't want to get into for various reasons (nothing sinister, just don't feel like discussiong a few of them).

As you know, whenever something happens with the Black Sabbath site, this place gets taken down. Decided to look into the situation, and found out the cost will be a minimal increase, and the server upgrade much better. Check this:

The current server is somewhat underpowered now. It's a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ (I think at 2.2 Ghz), which is a single core CPU. The server has just 1GB of Ram (no idea what type), which almost instantly gets filled up. Server has unmetered bandwidth. It's part of the reason why everything runs so friggin slow anymore. I pay $85 a month for that server. The contract for it is almost up, so it's time to look around for something new.

Decided I'm going with this: Intel® Xeon® E3-1220. This one is a quad core processor (at 3.1 GHz), and the server comes with 12Gb of DDR3 ECC RAM. Comes with 1,000Gb of HD space, and a 100Mbit connection. Bandwidth is unmetered, so that's not an issue. Cost per month for this is $99. It's not top of the line, but it's within the budget, and is a massive increase over what I currently have here. I looked, the total DB usage between every domain on this server is about 2 to 2.5Gb of SQL usage. With 12Gb of memory, I could fit my entire bloody db in ram a few times over and never write to the HD. Also, between everything on the box, with backups, I'm using about 240Gb of HD space, so that's not a problem, either. I can probably clean that up before the move, probably drop about 15-20 Gb in backups I don't need anymore.

Once I order it, the fun begins of moving everything over. Will report more when I do that, but things should improve around here shortly.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Just wanted to say thanks to you Joe for creating and maintaining this great site and giving us all a place to discuss the band we're all fanatics of

Your time/energy/money are well appreciated. Now I'm off to click on an add or two
    "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
    http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Such awesome news Joe! Thanks for all the work you've put in! We don't take it lightly!
    Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Went to order the server this morning, they have a 2-3 week delay due to high demand. Bah.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Rock! THANK YOU for everything you do for us!

God bless,
    PAULIE

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
    Went to order the server this morning, they have a 2-3 week delay due to high demand. Bah.
    Well, it wasn't a long a delay as I expected.

The new server is here. When my wife gets home from work tonight, I'll have a chance to look at this. I'm gonna move dopefish.com first. It's small, and I can learn the procedure on that one first, before I screw anything up.

Yay. Thanks a lot Joe
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.