Default did the others sing "Heaven and Hell"?

Granted, I don't really care for live performances, but I did recently dwonload the deluxe editions of "Born Again" and "Seventh Star," and the 2nd discs on both get me thinking....

Did the other singers do the song "Heaven & Hell," or was that removed from the line-up and reserved for Dio?

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

but I did recently dwonload the deluxe editions of "Born Again" and "Seventh Star,"
    Meaning, you bought them from iTunes or something like that - and didn't just steal them, right?

Ian Gillan sang it. It was added later on in the tour.

I cannot recall if Glenn Hughes did. I think NOT, but I can't prove it at the moment.

Ray Gillen sang it.

Tony Martin sang it.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Thanks, I assumed most of them had sang it, as well.

I love Ian Gillan but he did butcher Heaven and Hell .

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    Meaning, you bought them from iTunes or something like that - and didn't just steal them, right?

Ian Gillan sang it. It was added later on in the tour.

I cannot recall if Glenn Hughes did. I think NOT, but I can't prove it at the moment.

Ray Gillen sang it.

Tony Martin sang it.
    Don't forget the great Rob Halford!! Nov 14 1992! A hell of a night!

Last edited by Pink Led Rush; 03-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    Originally Posted by Monster Boy

Depends on who is doing the rating. If they agree with me, they've rated it just right.

Hearing Gillans high pitched wail on the chorus was great fun!! I love that worcester 83 bootleg.
    "Just the FACTS please Ma'am. Thank you."

I have two "live" bootlegs of Gillan singing it.
    Robert McAfee

Glenn Hughes did sing it, I saw him do it on one of his few dates of the Seventh Star tour.

-V-

How was I to know it was "kiss the world with winter flowers"?

Every other singer in Black Sabbath has sung Heaven And Hell but Ozzy...Tony Martin did the best job by far...Ian Gillan did a good job too...it was very different but he brought a good vibe to it....but no one else sung it as well as Ronnie there is no doubt about that...

Also none of the others ever did the Big Black Shape / little White Shape part.
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

The only Sabbath singer I saw live other than RJD was Tony Martin, and that night they did not do "Heaven And Hell" except for a little snippet at the end of the show where the audience was singing along with the riff. The only other Dio-era songs they did that night were, I believe, "Mob Rules" and "Neon Knights."

I have a bootleg tape of a show from the Born Again tour and the band only did a brief bit of the song (segue from "Zero The Hero") before Tony's extended guitar solo. Gillan really didn't do it that well; he mostly ad-libbed and screamed. They did no other RJD-era songs that night.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Also none of the others ever did the Big Black Shape / little White Shape part.
    Which I didn't really miss...it was always weird to me anyway, especially when RJD would start flipping the roles around. When I saw him with his own band (1985) I think he inverted it: "there's a little black shape looking down at me."

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
    Hearing Gillans high pitched wail on the chorus was great fun!! I love that worcester 83 bootleg.
    That's the one I have...I taped it off the radio from a show called "Captured Live." The one I have still has advertisements for Levi's Jeans in it. Gillan really didn't do that good of a job with the song, I don't think, at least not on that night, though of course he was in form on his own songs and the Ozzy songs. I thought Bev Bevan's drumming did not fit Sabbath at all.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by -V- View Post
    Glenn Hughes did sing it, I saw him do it on one of his few dates of the Seventh Star tour.

-V-
    But was it actually Glenn singing, or was it Geoff Nicholls?
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    The only Sabbath singer I saw live other than RJD was Tony Martin, and that night they did not do "Heaven And Hell" except for a little snippet at the end of the show where the audience was singing along with the riff. The only other Dio-era songs they did that night were, I believe, "Mob Rules" and "Neon Knights."
    That was the Cross Purposes Tour. They didn't do Heaven And Hell on that tour....but they did do Children Of The Sea though...and Time Machine which was the opening number!
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    That was the Cross Purposes Tour. They didn't do Heaven And Hell on that tour....but they did do Children Of The Sea though...and Time Machine which was the opening number!
    That is the tour I saw, February 1994, Kalamazoo, Michigan with Motorhead and Morbid Angel supporting.

Yes, they did do "Time Machine" as the opener; however, they did not do "Children of the Sea."

Nor did they do anything from The Eternal Idol or Tyr, and they only did an abbreviated version of "Headless Cross" from that album.

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    That is the tour I saw, February 1994, Kalamazoo, Michigan with Motorhead and Morbid Angel supporting.

Yes, they did do "Time Machine" as the opener; however, they did not do "Children of the Sea."

Nor did they do anything from The Eternal Idol or Tyr, and they only did an abbreviated version of "Headless Cross" from that album.
    Well there must have been some problem or something on that show then since they always played Children Of The Sea...maybe they had to cut the song for some reason.

Indeed nothing from Eternal Idol or Tyr was preformed...on the first leg...they did add Anno Mundi for a handful of shows in europe..including the one they recorded the live album/video.

Also for the european leg they dropped Immaculate Deception and added When Death Calls...

I saw them on that tour in Columbus which was the show immediately preceding the show in Kalamazoo and they did indeed open with Time Machine and also played Children of the Sea. No Heaven and Hell but I remember enjoying Headless Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle276 View Post
    I saw them on that tour in Columbus which was the show immediately preceding the show in Kalamazoo and they did indeed open with Time Machine and also played Children of the Sea. No Heaven and Hell but I remember enjoying Headless Cross.
    Maybe they were tweaking the set list to see what would go down well with US audiences, many of whom did not even know who TM was. He even introduced himself onstage at K'zoo. A guy in the same row as me said "I'd never heard of this guy before, but damn he can sing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    Glenn Hughes did it for sure - at the very least, he did it at the infamous Detroit concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtZtYyiZZY

Quote Originally Posted by happinessistheroad View Post
    Glenn Hughes did it for sure - at the very least, he did it at the infamous Detroit concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtZtYyiZZY
    Glenn actually doesn't sound too bad here, given the problems he had at the time and the fact that this is a shitty 26 year old bootleg.

Yeah the others all did sing Heaven and Hell. They all did a great job but only Ronnie can truly SING Heaven and Hell. I'm not trying to promote Ronnie over the others it's just the song just fits Ronnie in every was as opposed to the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPc5ro6rbls

What is Ian singing at 2:20-2:45? Something like "...when i saw the women, knew youre the man..."?