Default Slipknot Drummer Joey Jordison To Replace Bill Ward in Black Sabbath Reunion

Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison has reportedly been tapped to record drums on the new Black Sabbath album and has been spotted arriving in England just yesterday.

When contacted, Tony Iommi’s management had no comment. But Ozzy himself was reached and stated:

“It’s supposed to be a secret. But Joey is a world class drummer, so sure, we’re glad to have him working on the new album with us.”

There’s no word as yet if Jordison will be touring with the band on the upcoming “Ozzy and Friends” dates or future Black Sabbath dates.

This development comes after no agreement could be reached with original Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward and rumors abound that the gap is one of money

April fools
    Dr. Feelgoods Miracle Tissue Regenerator

Amphetamines, Animal Hormones, Bone Marrow, Enzymes, Human Placenta, Painkillers, Steroids, and Multivitamins

Actually, I heard it is this guy who will replace Bill. He is awesome!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZdQtwkQfg

joey jordison is really good he drummed on a ministry album and filled in for lars ulrich on a concert and he was really good and did alot of double bass he also has a band and another band

he is really good

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=79093

Could still be an april fools joke, but there is a link to a news source.
    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Well probably an april fools joke...

But regardless Joey is a heck of a drummer, he did an amazing job with Zombie few years back. 287 times better than Cluefetos that's for sure!
    -Too many flames, with too much to burn, and life's only made of paper. Oh how I need to be free of this pain but it goes over and over and over again-

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post

This guy is awesome, I would vote for him, he is channeling the greatest drummer ever, Keith Moon. When I watch The Who live it's hard to take my eyes off of Moon to watch Townsend.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

I would love to see Mike Portnoy sit in, maybe Lars Ulrich. But fucking give Bill what he wants and let's make this a true Sabbath album.
    "Too many people advising me, but they don't know what my eyes see." ~ The Writ

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Webster View Post
    ...maybe Lars Ulrich.
    Shhh, you'll give them ideas.
    Last edited by Soul Sucker; 04-02-2012 at 01:27 AM.

if they wanted a false story designed to create outrage then they couldnt go far wrong with "sharon not to blame in bill ward quit shocker"

oh wait...

Try your hardest, you'll still be a loser
    The world will still be turning when you're gone

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    April fools
    Good call! http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=79119
    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post

Seriously, this dude is indeed awesome. What a showman!!

Quote Originally Posted by labrekk View Post
    Seriously, this dude is indeed awesome. What a showman!!
    Yeah, he actually is damn entertaining to watch, and from what I can tell a pretty decent drummer too.

Joey would be a really obvious pick actually, I'd totally believe it. Joey has filled in as a replacement at Download Festival before, jumping behind the kit for Metallica in 2004 for the majority of their set. More importantly, he frequently gets voted in the top level of lists of the best drummers around, particularly stuff aimed at the trendy youths (i.e. a mainstream audience that Sabbath, especially Ozzy, like to aim for, with his two main bands Slipknot and Murderdolls. He has a habit of filling in for absent drummers....aside from Metallica he's also done tours with Ministry, Satryicon and Rob Zombie (he also recorded an EP's worth of new material with Zombie for a reissue album). He was also part of the Roadrunner United sessions, I think he plays on five tracks and was at the gig where the DVD was shot. His Slipknot bandmate Corey Taylor has an acoustic appearance at the festival, and it is possible Joey would be there anyway as a backing musician.

So yeah....even if this rumour is a hoax, I'd really not be shocked if he turned up.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

If Bill would'' t play , I'd prefer Tommy Aldridge , Ian Paice , Nicko Mac Brain , Dave Lombardo or Gene Hoglan

You're all naming "modern" drummers with a "modern" (80's onward) approach to drumming (Jordison, Portnoy, Ulrich (barf, what a blasphemy), Aldridge, McBrain, Lombardo, Hoglan), and we've seen time and again that doesn't suit Sabbath, atleast not if the whole thing is supposed to be the "70's-Sabbath" reunion.

We'd have to take a look at those old-timers still around; Ian Paice (which is probably busy with DP), Ginger Baker (don't even know how he sounds anymore, but if he's still got it, he'd do it...), Lee Kerslake (not sure Ozzy'd go for it though), or maybe even Kenny Jones (if he could pull out his old Small Faces-grooves, instead of the slaughtering boredom he brought to The Who). Even Appice the Elder (Carmine) could have worked.

Only too sad John Bonham and Keith Moon isn't around, as they would've been the obvious choise.

If we're looking for young blood who's able to do that old-time swing, there's only one real choice: Zak Starkley!

Amphetamines, Animal Hormones, Bone Marrow, Enzymes, Human Placenta, Painkillers, Steroids, and Multivitamins

Billy Underdog, have you heard Murderdolls?

I don't like them overly as Wednesday 13's earlier work, when he was more raw, sounded a lot better....but it showcases Joey J playing a more classic rockabilly sound, he shows he can groove and swing and play less aggressively.

Zak Starkley would be an ace choice actually, though.

EDIT: check the second Murderdolls album, he only did vox/guitar on the first one
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by TheElfoid View Post
    Billy Underdog, have you heard Murderdolls?
    I have to admit, i haven't. Just assumed from what i've heard him doing in Slipknot. But since you put it this way, i'll have to check it out soon...
    I'll get back with my opinion after i've checked it out.

joey jordison is really good regardless of the music even tho the music is good like ministrys rio grande blood

I forget big ones : Ansley Dunbard and Chris Slade !!

To everyone saying Joey Jordison is a great drummer: Yeah, I agree, but does he really seem like a good fit for Sabbath? His style is way too different. Even if he were just playing Ward's parts on the past songs, it wouldn't feel right.

It would be BLASPHEMY to have a nu metal (mallcore) drummer on the new Sabbath album!!!!! Like somebody else mentioned, it should be a famous metal drummer from the 70's or 80's. I personally would like to see Bobby Rondinelli on drums if Vinny turns them down.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

You know, now I THINK of it, IT HAS TO BE BILL WARD!!!! It's just not the ORIGINAL SABBATH without the original four. And this is coming from a Dio Sabbath/H&H fan. Come on Bill, don't turn the album away at least!!! At least you can do the recording, and if you do not think you're getting enough money, then don't do the tour. Maybe Bobby can fill in then.

Honestly, regardless of the skill and suitability of those mentioned, if they aren't doing a proper reunion, with the full original line up at this stage, whats the bloody point? As someone said, give Bill what he wants. Either that, or bugger off and show the legacy some respect.

At this point, i dont care who plays drums. I just want to hear one last killer Black Sabbath album. The only thing keeping Bill Ward out of the reunion is Bill Ward. If this album rocks, you can bet your sweet ass, i will be buying it. People getting upset over ward not playing with the guys yet. Its a safe bet that Bill wont make the may 19th gig. I cant see him rehearsing the new and the old songs in 2 weeks. He could still make the download fest and they can always rerecord his drum parts over the other guys since the new album doesnt come out till fall.

Glad to see this stupid thread brought back from where it should have lied to rot.....
    "Just the FACTS please Ma'am. Thank you."

Quote Originally Posted by The Wretch View Post
    Honestly, regardless of the skill and suitability of those mentioned, if they aren't doing a proper reunion, with the full original line up at this stage, whats the bloody point? As someone said, give Bill what he wants. Either that, or bugger off and show the legacy some respect.
    What's the point???

There will be a new studio album with Tony, Geezer and Ozzy. Their first album together since 1978. Even without Bill, this is still significant. Going through your posts, you've mentioned several times just how much you like the Martin-era, where Tony was the only original member left in the band. So now that three original members are reuniting, you say there's no point in them doing a new album and tour. Really???

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sucker View Post
    What's the point???

There will be a new studio album with Tony, Geezer and Ozzy. Their first album together since 1978. Even without Bill, this is still significant. Going through your posts, you've mentioned several times just how much you like the Martin-era, where Tony was the only original member left in the band. So now that three original members are reuniting, you say there's no point in them doing a new album and tour. Really???
    But this was done under the pretense of being the original Black Sabbath, making a new album, doing a world tour. Thats what people expected, and with everything that has come to pass, and the respect shown by calling the Dio re-union Heaven And Hell, if it is to end (or anyone should continue to use the name) surely it should be with all four original members, or nobody at all?

Enough time has passed to simply respect the quality of the Martin era albums. I love everything Iommi related, and I think that era is criminally overlooked, but I understand why people object to him using the name, and you could argue that they should have been released as solo albums, but that doesn't diminish what they achieve musically, and its in the past.

But to make a grand announcement that it is the return of the original Black Sabbath, and then not follow through, seems a bit pointless to me.

Thats not meant as a dig at anyone who is involved, and of course its significant, and they will always have my respect and admiration of course, but its just after the excitement of learning they are back together again, and thinking it was the perfect way to end things with their legacy fully intact after all that has happened, it seems a really huge let down, no?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wretch View Post
    ...after the excitement of learning they are back together again, and thinking it was the perfect way to end things with their legacy fully intact after all that has happened, it seems a really huge let down, no?
    Yes, a huge let down indeed. Life is full of let downs, some intentional, some totally uncontrollable.

Everyone wished to experience the full original lineup for the last time. As it turned out, Bill is out because they were unable to pen a suitable contract for Bill. I wished to have Vinny Appice as his replacement, because Vinny has a long recorded history with the band and he's a great powerhouse drummer for a heavy metal band like Sabbath. But no Vinny this time, so that's the second let down already. Joey fucking Jordison?!? Yeah, some people think he's a great drummer, it's fine with me. But where are all the legendary drummers of this world? Why is this Ozzy & Friends gig so uninteresting to them? Or why doesn't the management section want to have someone with enough background to play with legends like Ozzy & Geezer?

The third and ultimate let down here is Tony Iommi's absence from the tour. Good for those who will get to see him in Birmingham, at Download and in the U.S. but very unfortunate for the rest of us.

All I know is that I hope for Tony Iommi to recover back to his normal life and that we will get a great show from Ozzy & Friends during his absence.
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 05-07-2012 at 03:18 AM.
    "HALLOWEEN RIFFS, WALL-TO-WALL GUITARS"