Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Mike, I am curious to know if any Ballad type songs have been recorded. One thing about Sabbath is that they don't really fool with ballads much, but when they do... they knock it out of the park. Changes is one of the best songs ever written.

Thanks,
    Josh

Actually, BS has a ballad on every Ozz era album... Sleeping Village is quite short but still... since Paranoid they've had a pretty extened ballad on each and every... 2 on Tech Extasy... Sadly, they NEVER did a complete ballad durring the Dio years, something I'll never understand... Dio was such a great ballad singer, sometimes he was his own worse enemy that Ronnie...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie 88 View Post
    Thirded!

While we're at it (and this is about songwriting, not Bill, relax!), some of my Bill-related anxiety is that there's probably little-to-no chance of getting something genuinely jazzy in there. Rubin's suggestion is to pick up where the first album left off, but I do *not* think we're going to get anything like Rat Salad or the the frantic middle section of Electric Funeral...

I fear this will be another album of straight "heavy metal" with maybe a quiet tune thrown in for intentional misdirection rather than a batch of tunes by guys who were able to intuitively jam with each other and have songs evolve from it. Heck, it was all amp distortion back then, the heaviness came from HOW things were played as opposed to what pedals they went through (anything saturated in distortion is artificially heavy IMHO). Listen to the guitar sound of Paranoid, there's that awesome, natural hayburner sound from amps being cranked, it's not nearly as "furry" with disortion as anything in the last couple decades. The songwriting on this album will be paramount to whether this will be a "classic" Sab sound i.e. something that can stand up to the legacy of the Oz-era albums vs. being another heavy metal album by a "heavy metal band" whereas Sab invented the genre by being themselves / playing heavy rather than just sounding heavy because that's what's seemingly expected.

So I suppose the above is more *venting* rather than an outright "question" for Mike per se... So I'll pose a question. Mike! Anything jazzy going on?

All the best,
    PAULIE
    That's interesting, 'cos I heard that the band threw three songs at Brad Wilk to improvise on and he nailed 'em. The band was impressed. I have a feeling that Brad Wilk will deliver on the jazziness hear and there. He's an amazing drummer with a great feel. Solid, yet fluid. That, and I can't imagine Rick Rubin trying to get a drummer for Sabbath who doesn't have a grasp on improvisation time signature-wise. Flawless drummer, Brad Wilk is; and not in a sterile way. They guy's a behemoth behind the drum kit. Sabbath themselves agreed on Brad, too. Ginger Baker was inxnayed as an idea by the band (that's just as well), but they were sold on Brad based on his ability to jam, improvise, but morever, *swing*. Bill swings as a drummer, and so does Brad. This album is gonna rock majorly. I'm ain't worried.

Quote Originally Posted by sellingmysoul View Post
    Hi mike,are their going to be any guests on the new Black Sabbath album?
    Hi, and sorry for the delay in answering!!! Xmas, New Year and a whole load of family got in the way . I am into the first month or so on a new Judas Priest record so I not had much time to get on the board. There was a lot of work finishing up guitars and stuff in Jan/Feb and even last week listening to mixes and discussing important aspects of them whilst doing my other job of getting the Priest machine into gear.

Anyway onto the above question

No guests on this one! Just the four guys.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WallOfSleep View Post
    Hey Mike,

What can you tell us about the keyboards on this album?

Are they prevelant or minimal?

Is Adam Wakeman the keyboardist?

Thanks!
    Hi mate

Keyboards are played mostly by me. I notice a couple of little extra bits as mixes trickle through, but I did most of what appears. It's pretty minimal and textural.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by turch118 View Post
    Hi Mike...first i would like to thank you for posting here...it has been very exciting. A little off topic, but was that you behind the sound board on the "Out Of My Mind" video? If so, did you do the mixing because it sounded great! Just curious.
    Ha, yes that was me behind the board on that one! That was one of my most wonderful days in a studio. Jon Lord was the reason I carried on with my keyboard playing. I realised that it didn't all have to be scales, arpeggios and Beethoven when I first heard Jon playing the Hammond!!!

That day at SARM studios I got to record him playing that instrument and it was spine tingling. He was gracious, hilarious and a real gentleman. I took my vinyl copy of his solo record along and it is a treasured possession of mine with a lovely signed message on it now. Bless him - he was taken within a year!!

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by axeman_12656 View Post
    Mike, I am curious to know if any Ballad type songs have been recorded. One thing about Sabbath is that they don't really fool with ballads much, but when they do... they knock it out of the park. Changes is one of the best songs ever written.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Let me just say that there are a couple of songs that only these guys could ever come up with and pull off. This is classic Sabbath.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hand of 'schrooms View Post
    That's interesting, 'cos I heard that the band threw three songs at Brad Wilk to improvise on and he nailed 'em. The band was impressed. I have a feeling that Brad Wilk will deliver on the jazziness hear and there. He's an amazing drummer with a great feel. Solid, yet fluid. That, and I can't imagine Rick Rubin trying to get a drummer for Sabbath who doesn't have a grasp on improvisation time signature-wise. Flawless drummer, Brad Wilk is; and not in a sterile way. They guy's a behemoth behind the drum kit. Sabbath themselves agreed on Brad, too. Ginger Baker was inxnayed as an idea by the band (that's just as well), but they were sold on Brad based on his ability to jam, improvise, but morever, *swing*. Bill swings as a drummer, and so does Brad. This album is gonna rock majorly. I'm ain't worried.

I have to say that Brad was absolutely excellent. He was real fun to be around and extremely nervous to start with, but he has a style that gelled with the guys beyond anyone's expectations. This wasn't a Rage Against The Machine mismatch with Sabbath - it was a really talented musician with a massive amount of respect and enthusiasm who came from the right place with the ability to groove and play like a mother f******. I attribute a lot of the energy in the recordings to the fact that he was there putting his all into the parts.

He is also a really lovely guy and it was a pleasure getting to know him. A brilliant suggestion from whoever came up with the idea of using him!!

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Thanks again for coming to the board Mike. Was wondering about the following:

How has Ozzy and Geezer worked together on the lyrics, are they collaborating together?
    Is Ozzy contributing to the Vocal melodies as usual?
    How is Ozzy sounding in the sessions and are you guys using a lot of effects on his voice or will it be fairly raw? Or the songs more chorus based or like their earlier records where the songs really didn't have choruses but a bunch of movements?

Thanks again!!
    Sorry I missed this one!

Ozzy came up with a lot of ideas which Geezer took and either refined or rewrote. They very much worked together on this and they are great lyrics. Melodies were pretty much all Oz. his singing is as good as I have heard it. It's not sung in low register or Melodyned and edited to shit!!!! It's all sung properly with great delivery and it sounds like Ozzy singing with his band Black Sabbath

There are some traditional structured songs and there are some songs with a lot of different movements in them. It's really nothing like anyone has done for a long time!
    Last edited by mike.x; 03-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Mike, thanks for returning. Just a quick question: what guitars and amplifiers did Tony and Geezer use on this album?

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by ZepHead View Post
    Mike, thanks for returning. Just a quick question: what guitars and amplifiers did Tony and Geezer use on this album?
    G SG and Laney, probably...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

And Geezer is currently endorsed by Hartke, so it's safe to assume he's using them in the studio as well.

I have one for Mike too: did you DI Tony's amps or mic the cabs? And if the answer is the latter, what technique/mics you used? One dynamic mic for the close range and a condenser as a room mic? Just interested about these small details
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 03-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

The first video the band posted on YouTube shows Geezer using Ampeg. The second one shows him using Hartke.

Thanks a lot for the update Mike and congratulations on working on the new Priest record. Amazing you are working for the two most important Metal bands of all time.

Were you involved in the mixing and mastering of 13? That is really the only part of the process that is a little worrisome.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Good to hear you Mike. Can you tell us something about the album title and the cover art?
    Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
    Premonition of a shattered world that’s gonna die.
    In the age of reason, how do we survive?
    The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

To quote you, Mike X:

"I have to say that Brad was absolutely excellent. He was real fun to be around and extremely nervous to start with, but he has a style that gelled with the guys beyond anyone's expectations. This wasn't a Rage Against The Machine mismatch with Sabbath - it was a really talented musician with a massive amount of respect and enthusiasm who came from the right place with the ability to groove and play like a mother f******. I attribute a lot of the energy in the recordings to the fact that he was there putting his all into the parts.

He is also a really lovely guy and it was a pleasure getting to know him. A brilliant suggestion from whoever came up with the idea of using him!!"

That's so awesome! I'm glad that Brad's presence and drumming is fueling Ozzy, Tony & Geezer. I would be nervous as all hey too, sitting behind a drum kit to jam with the original Black Sabbath! While I too feel sad that Bill Ward is not a part of this album, I do think that finding a drummer who gets Sabbath's vibe like Brad Wilk does compensates for the lack of Bill. The brief snippets during Rick Rubin's youtube update on '13' from last week sound incredible: even Brad's drum intro to one of the songs.. He just has that wrist action that makes all of the difference between a very good drummer and a f****** great drummer.

Thanks for your replies to our stuff, Mike X! Please send our best to the band, especially Tony. Can't wait for June 11th!

p.s.: Please tell the guys in Priest we said Hi, too!
    Last edited by hand of 'schrooms; 03-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Thank you Mike X, I appreciate all you do.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Mike, thanks for answering our questions!! thats awesome!!!!

Do you have any idea when we might be able to expect a single? Before the April tour dates?

Thanks again,
    Josh

Mike - please, please don't compress this record. A new record with a little dynamic range, no clipping, etc. would be a blessing. Thanks for all your contributions. It's just a shame to see so much music ruined by modern production.

Quote Originally Posted by Aureustgo View Post
    Mike - please, please don't compress this record. A new record with a little dynamic range, no clipping, etc. would be a blessing. Thanks for all your contributions. It's just a shame to see so much music ruined by modern production.
    Thats like asking mcdonalds to start putting less salt on their fries. It's what everyone expects now
    Last edited by OZZYIRONMAN; 03-24-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Personally I hope they compress the hell out of it. I'm sick and tired of all my old Sabbath albums sounding wimpy and whisper quiet when played immediately after a more modern song. Plus, with compression I can actually hear all the parts that get buried in the mix in a normal song.
    But hey - maybe that's just my old ears talking!
    In the fields the bodies burning, as the war machine keeps turning.

Personally I hope they compress the hell out of it. I'm sick and tired of all my old Sabbath albums sounding wimpy and whisper quiet when played immediately after a more modern song. Plus, with compression I can actually hear all the parts that get buried in the mix in a normal song.
    That's why I love vinyl; it has the full and complete sound. I would have to give up music altogether if there was no vinyl to be had.

I'd have to go out and buy a stereo to listen to vinyl! (I haven't had one of those in years!)

You know about volume knobs, right?

They kick ass.

I love music that begs to be turned up instead of down. "Loudness wars" is the stupidest thing to ever happen to music. It's basically the industry reselling you music you already bought by turning the volume up for you.

Btw, I think it's a lot of modern stuff that sounds "wimpy." That louder mastering style just kills the punch in music. Dynamics just go "bye bye" and the whole thing just sounds loud.

Fortunately, that type of mastering is on its way out anyway. I highly doubt this album will be ruined with that appoach.
    Last edited by Jeff; 03-24-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I highly doubt this album will be ruined with that appoach.
    I think you're forgetting who's the producer on this album...

I think you're forgetting who's the producer on this album...

I'm not.

Since when does a Producer do the mastering for an album? Do we know that Rubin ordered his recent work to be smashed down to that wimpy loud sound?

I'm not saying that it will be "audiophile" level sound and they are going in with Pro-Tools in the first place (mistake, IMO), but recent stuff with Sabbath's name on it has a good track record and I think their timing is also good. A lot of people in the industry now absolutely frown on that garbage mastering. Articles were even in the mainstream press about Death Magnetic and many fans being pissed off about it.

Anyway ... hoping for the best, but I'll settle for a DR Reading of 9-10 on most of the tracks.

I'm not.

Since when does a Producer do the mastering for an album? Do we know that Rubin ordered his recent work to be smashed down to that wimpy loud sound?

I'm not saying that it will be "audiophile" level sound and they are going in with Pro-Tools in the first place (mistake, IMO), but recent stuff with Sabbath's name on it has a good track record and I think their timing is also good. A lot of people in the industry now absolutely frown on that garbage mastering. Articles were even in the mainstream press about Death Magnetic and many fans being pissed off about it.

Anyway ... hoping for the best, but I'll settle for a DR Reading of 9-10 on most of the tracks.
    I have all of the faith in Sabbath to make sure that they won't play the loudness games with 13. The issue with Death Magnetic wasn't the mastering. When the master engineered received the files they were already pushed to far and they didn't leave enough overhead for him to work with. When he complained he was told to still master the material anyway.
    While many fans have blamed the mastering process used on the album, Ted Jensen of Sterling Sound, who mastered the album, has reportedly written a forum post about the process.

"I'm certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day," he wrote. "In this case the mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived at my place.

"Suffice to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me, I'm not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else."
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun

You know about volume knobs, right?

They kick ass.
    Volume what?

MIkeX, Great seeing you on the board again!!! Thanks for all the info. Your tasteful tidbits really add to all our excitment.

Now that the album track listing is out. Do you care to tell us if out off the 12 tracks we are getting with the deluxe edition (best buy edition) are any of them instrumental?

Thanks again, you rock man!!

Hey Mike! Congratulations on '13' getting ready to debut at #1 in the U.K. & the U.S.!! Dude, the album is magical.. Magical. Thank you again for having a hand in this album's creation. That, and thanks again for being cool and taking time to read and reply to our stuff in here. The success of '13' is so beautiful, man.. I actually got choked up thinking about that as I played the full twelve tracks late last night.. Congratulations, Mike. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by hand of 'schrooms View Post
    Hey Mike! Congratulations on '13' getting ready to debut at #1 in the U.K. & the U.S.!! Dude, the album is magical.. Magical. Thank you again for having a hand in this album's creation. That, and thanks again for being cool and taking time to read and reply to our stuff in here. The success of '13' is so beautiful, man.. I actually got choked up thinking about that as I played the full twelve tracks late last night.. Congratulations, Mike. Cheers!
    Thankyou my friend for your kind words. My recurring mantra is that music is about an emotional response. I'm glad all our hard work has elicited that response in you last night. I felt the same way as I first listened to the completed record as a body of work.

Cheers to you too!!

Hey, X-Man, are you in any position to shed some light on this topic:? If so, that would be very helpful.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/show...139#post329139
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!

Hi Mike. And thank you for your great contribution to this board!

I don't know whether you are allowed to talk about this issue (and if not that is totally understandable) or whether you have knowledge about it... but anyway here it goes:

It was claimed in other thread that harmonica in Damaged Soul was played by Stanley Behrens and Ozzy just did minor parts/nothing. Do you know whether this is true or not?

edit: Billy was faster by few minutes

Quote Originally Posted by mike.x View Post
    Thankyou my friend for your kind words. My recurring mantra is that music is about an emotional response. I'm glad all our hard work has elicited that response in you last night. I felt the same way as I first listened to the completed record as a body of work.

Cheers to you too!!
    You're Very Welcome! It's Everything, man: The great, solid songwriting of all twelve released songs, Ozzy's incredible melodies, singing, lyrics, phrasing and performance (easily his best, most focused, most inspired work since 'Blizzard Of Ozz' and 'Diary Of A Madman'), Geezer's genius lyrics and earthquaking, tooth-filling-rattling bass, Tony's incredible guitar work and Brad Wilk's awesome drumming.. Even when I listen to '13', I somehow still "hear" and feel Bill's presence, or, imagine his presence there. Seriously, I must have played '13' from the 'iTunes' stream through to my own copy (deluxe box and 'Best Buy' set with t-shirt! haha!) about fifty full times, and the album just gets better and better and better! Discovering new stuff sonically I didn't hear the first forty-nine times lol: like Ozzy's mantra of "Free!" on the outro to "End Of The Beginning" and the frickin' *genius* time-signature switcheroo for a couple of bars during "Dear Father" at "do you deny you're responsible / for the victims of the sins you devised": pure Sabbath genius right there.

Who debuts at #1 in the U.K. AND the U.S. at the same time anymore? I can only imagine how chuffed and over the moon all of you are! You deserve the bragging rights, man! #1 in the U.K. AND the U.S.! How fucking brilliant, you know what I mean? It's so heartening to see this all happen: after everything that has gone down and went into the making of this album: to have '13' be Sabbath's first #1 album in the U.K. since 1970 with 'Paranoid' AND nabbing their first #1 album in America. Nevermind the other zillion countries the album is doing so well at! Please pass on our Congratulations to Tony, Ozzy, Geezer and to all who had a hand in the making of '13'. We all share in your excitement and bliss of seeing all of your hard work paying off by being so successful across the board!

Sometimes, the world gets it right at once. The success of '13' epitomizes that! Thank you again for your kind words, likewise! The mark of a great, great album is your inability to wanna listen to anything else! I haven't felt this excited about any new music in about ten million years!

Take Care, Mike & Rock On! Thanks, Mike! Cheers On. Peace.
    Last edited by hand of 'schrooms; 06-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.

How's it going with the new priest album?
    Sad wings of destiny is my fave and stained glass.
    Would you say the chances of getting another sab album are pretty high now given the success of 13?
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

Hi Mike how you doing?
    Congratulations for the great work on the 13th, the album is incredible. How was the recording period?? How was working with Iommi, Butler and Osbourne after so much time apart??a new album its possible??(sry for the english translate google ins't the best)
    Last edited by !Geezer.; 06-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    Just remeber love is life and hate is living dead
    Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath
    Looking back I've lived and learned, but now I'm wondering
    Here I wait and only guess what the next life will bring
    Ha Ha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralarchitectx1 View Post
    How's it going with the new priest album?
    Sad wings of destiny is my fave and stained glass.
    Would you say the chances of getting another sab album are pretty high now given the success of 13?
    Spiral my Sabbath brother, we have so much in common, two of my favorite Priest albums, along with Rocka Rolla, Beyond The Realms Of Death, off the Stained Class album, how good is that song? It puts you in a trance listening to it.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by !Geezer. View Post
    Hi Mark how you doing?
    Who's "Mark"?

Thx dude, I was so worried about writing a decent English who do not pay attention that had the wrong name
    Just remeber love is life and hate is living dead
    Treat your life for what it's worth and live for every breath
    Looking back I've lived and learned, but now I'm wondering
    Here I wait and only guess what the next life will bring
    Ha Ha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by !Geezer. View Post
    Thx dude, I was so worried about writing a decent English who do not pay attention that had the wrong name
    Calm down, dude. Noone's expecting you to write perfect English. The most important part is you're here!!!

Mike, Do you recall what guitar Tony might have used on the Solo for Zeitgeist? Is it just one of his SG style guitars or did you use a guitar with a more clean tone?

Thanks,

Mike did you guys make any demos of the songs with Bill Ward on drums? and if not demos, did you record the practice jam sessions with Bill Ward?

Quote Originally Posted by axeman_12656 View Post
    Mike, Do you recall what guitar Tony might have used on the Solo for Zeitgeist? Is it just one of his SG style guitars or did you use a guitar with a more clean tone?

Thanks,
    Hi

It was a one off jazz guitar made by Gibson for his 60th birthday (it actually only arrived after we started recording at Shangri La!!!! Only 4 years late ). It's a hollow body single cutaway and very mellow. We put it, and most other clean guitar overdubs, through a small combo amp and ribbon mic back here in England.

Cheers
    Mike

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
    Mike did you guys make any demos of the songs with Bill Ward on drums? and if not demos, did you record the practice jam sessions with Bill Ward?
    We did lots of work while Bill was part of the project and I recorded everything.

Thanks Mike, Brad did a decent job but Bill was sourly missed on this album. His raw power would have really taken this album even beyond what it already is. Hopefully next time!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.x View Post
    Hi

It was a one off jazz guitar made by Gibson for his 60th birthday (it actually only arrived after we started recording at Shangri La!!!! Only 4 years late ). It's a hollow body single cutaway and very mellow. We put it, and most other clean guitar overdubs, through a small combo amp and ribbon mic back here in England.

Cheers
    Mike

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

We did lots of work while Bill was part of the project and I recorded everything.

Mike, I heard that Damaged Soul was actually like twenty minutes and edited down to the eight minutes on the record, is it mostly jamming or an extended solo by Tony? Did Ozzy come up with those lyrics on the spot or were they reworked?

Thanks again Mike.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun