Default Joe Bonamassa quits Black Country Communion

Saw it coming, but still a shame

Classic Rock Magazine report

Black Country Communion guitarist Joe Bonamassa admits he became disillusioned with the band during their 2011 tour.

He says he’s “happily not involved any more” with the supergroup, months after a public spat with frontman Glenn Hughes came close to derailing the release of third album Afterglow.

The musicians fell out after Hughes expressed his frustration that Bonamassa wouldn’t go on the road to support the record with live shows – one of a series of outbursts that led to the cancellation of a one-off concert in the UK planned for January.

Now the blues guitarist tells PremierGuitar: “As far as I’m concerned my involvement is pretty much done.

“Originally I did it for the same reasons I did the stuff with Beth Hart and Rock Candy Funk Party: it was an excessive to play a different kind of music that I don’t get to play normally.

“So I did it and did a nine-week tour in 2011 that really, by the end of it, wasn’t fun for me. It wasn’t because I didn’t like the cats in the band, but it was just too much – too much involved in getting people from place to place and getting the band onstage.

“Everybody seemed to be very tense, and it made my crew very tense, and it’s not the way I like to tour. I run a family. I have 21 people who go on the road with me all the time, and if you asked them who was the cause of the least of their problems, they would say me.”

But Bonamassa remains proud of his work with the band, also featuring Jason Bonham, Derek Sherinian and producer Kevin Shirley.

“The first two records were a blast,” he says. “The band is fantastic when the Ritalin kicks in, the ADD goes away, and everyone’s focused. It’s a devastatingly good rock band of the early-1970s type, and Glenn is a fantastic singer – just one of the best ever.

“It just wasn’t fun for me any more. All the stuff that Glenn says in the media, essentially pinning it on me, that I was the reason for the band’s lack of touring and the band’s lack of future. It became rapidly not fun at all. It would be dishonest of me to get onstage and pretend like I’m having fun to please the band.”

He’s previously given his blessing for BCC to continue without him, a move that both Hughes and Bonham have hinted at in the past. “I’m just not the guitar player for that band,” he says. “Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any out-of-work guitar players in LA that they can get. There are so many guys that can fill that role and I would be the first guy to queue up and buy a ticket.

“I’m happily not involved any more – but I’m happy with the legacy that I left with that band and happy with the records we made. It was a great three years for me.”
    Last edited by KiloDeltaCharlie; 03-14-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Guess we're the only BCC fans here. Sucks about Bonamassa - Hughes is now saying he won't let them use the name. Hope they continue with another guitarist - I think Jake E Lee would be a good fit.

Honestly, each album was getting weaker in my opinion. First one was great, second was good, and third was decent, but lacked any standouts for me.
    My Rock, Alternative, and Metal review page:

http://deadrockanthem.blogspot.com/

I love the band and wish they'd carry on with another guitarist. I respect Glenn's attitude about the lineup, but the songs are too good not to play for audiences. I would be disappointed if that was it for the band. But I also respect that if it has to be those 4 guys that it be done & not beat a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman GB View Post
    Honestly, each album was getting weaker in my opinion. First one was great, second was good, and third was decent, but lacked any standouts for me.
    I still haven't picked up the 3rd release, but I think 1 & 2 are great. If anything I like BCC 2 more then the first by a slight degree; the songs just resonate a little more to me for some reason.
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    I love the band and wish they'd carry on with another guitarist.
    Glenn has said on Twitter that they will continue on, but under a different name.

Joe B. is the best talent out there, no one has a voice as good to sing blues/rock and his talent on the guitar is 2nd to none... this is the guy I listen to the most, though he's young, he undertstands what constitutes great music, soul, heart, talent... and understanding of history... he is IMO, no.1 talent out there, anyone who hasn't listened to his music is really missing out... I'm not surprised he 'quit", more suprised he made 3 albums witrh them... Joe playes with multiple musicians and styles, mainly in the rock/blues vien of course... a talent like his is very rare... he's a better singer than Glenn too... as you can see, Ican't say enough about him...

I love all three BCC releases but the second was my favorite. I thought Afterglow was good and the title track is amazing. I do think it is lame that Joe isn't letting them continue on with the band name. As great as he is the majority of the songwriting is done by Glenn and they could continue on without him. Looking forward to the new band with the other three.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    I love all three BCC releases but the second was my favorite. I thought Afterglow was good and the title track is amazing. I do think it is lame that Joe isn't letting them continue on with the band name. As great as he is the majority of the songwriting is done by Glenn and they could continue on without him. Looking forward to the new band with the other three.
    I'm not aware that Joe said he didn't want them to continue on under the BCC name? Where'd you hear that? I read an article by him saying he didn't like being on the road all that time and that the band could hire another guitaris,t that there were many good ones out there... of course he's being modest there... I didn't hear where he wanted the name dropped... that's really Glenn's baby, Black Country is the midlands of England, more closely associated with Glenn and Bohnam than upstate NY Joe...

Well, that's Glenn saying that.... I'm still not convinced there's a legal leg to stand on IF Joe B. told themn that... which I highly doubt, Joe B. has is ego well in check, more than most... he loves to play with different people.... why Glenn would say that is beyond me... I doubt Joe owns the name... it would be nice if we could get a third party to investigate or ask Joe B. directly...

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Well, that's Glenn saying that.... I'm still not convinced there's a legal leg to stand on IF Joe B. told themn that... which I highly doubt, Joe B. has is ego well in check, more than most... he loves to play with different people.... why Glenn would say that is beyond me... I doubt Joe owns the name... it would be nice if we could get a third party to investigate or ask Joe B. directly...
    It's possible that Joe wants a payout for the use of the 'Black Country Communion' name since he's a 25% owner. The band probably doesn't make enough money for that to be a viable option. And on top of that - they would have to pay the new guitar player too.

Kevin Shirley brought them all together and has been involved ever since, so he might also have a share in it all!

New Name Guessing Game Starts Here

Black Country Deviation
    Black Country Union
    Black Country Derailment
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

It sounds to me like Glenn is a little insecure losing Joe... which can see why, he writes a lot of the stuff and people come ot see him... they can call it Black Country or whatever and still play, I don't see why he's whining..??!

All valid points Wicked but they can't call it Black Country because that was their original name and legally they were forced to change it and that is when they added the communion. Now that is only Glenn saying that but Joe hasn't denied it. Lately he has been pretty vocal responding to Glenn's accusations but never heard anything back on that one. The one thing that is in Glenn's favor here is that Derek and Jason seem to be siding with Glenn and Joe is the odd man out.

I don't think Joe did much of the songwriting. He did some for sure but almost all of it was Glenn. In fact a lot of BCC sounds like the Rock side of Glenn's solo career to me. At the end of the day it is a shame because they were a really good band.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Yea, great band... I didn't know their original name was BC...like I said, I'm surpised Joe lasted 3 albums worth... he's a man who's constantly moving... I like everything he does, his solo stuff, the album with Beth Hart, live concerts... he's much younger than Glenn, who's got to be in the 60 club now, so time to Glenn is much different than Joe... Glenn needs to audition a guitar player, but Joe's influnece in BCC was huge.. I'd be surprised if they get a new guitar player and it's anywhere as good as what we got from them in the first 3 albums...personally, I prefer Joe's solo stuff to anything else he does, and I prefer his voice to Glenn's..but I love all his stuff.