Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ray Gillen

Default Ray Gillen

I'm an old school Sabbath fanatic, Ozzy is Sabbath to me, Dio kept Sabbath on top after Ozzy left, Ian Gillan made one good album with Sabbath, that being Born Again.

We all know that Seventh Star was Iommi's solo project, the Tony Martin albums deserve recognition. I never got to hear Ray Gillen with Sabbath, but yesterday after I bought the Seventh Star deluxe edition, I got to hear Ray Gillen for the first time, and I have to say I was taken aback.

I can't stop listening to the 2nd CD, which is Ray Gillen in concert with Sabbath at the Hammersmith Odeon, he has such a beautiful voice, the way he sings the songs, I haven't heard anyone sing them like that since Ronnie James Dio did, and he does a good job singing the Glen Hughes and Ozzy songs as well.

I am really impressed by this young man, whom I never heard sing before, I'd heard of him through Badlands, Blue Murder etc. But actually never gave him a chance, till yesterday and I am glad I did.

It is sad that such a talented young singer like Ray Gillen died at such a young age, he could've given us so much more, and what he could've accomplished had he stayed with Sabbath.

R.I.P. Ray Gillen.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Oh but he did give a little bit more besides Blue Murder and Badlands. 2010 saw Ray Gillen's only Black Sabbath Studio release: The Eternal Idol Deluxe Edition. Second disc to be in fact. It's almost finished product, but it's the only other official release of his time in Black Sabbath. I highly recommend checking out his version of EI along with Tony Martin's.

Joe has more info in this link here.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
    Oh but he did give a little bit more besides Blue Murder and Badlands. 2010 saw Ray Gillen's only Black Sabbath Studio release: The Eternal Idol Deluxe Edition. Second disc to be in fact. It's almost finished product, but it's the only other official release of his time in Black Sabbath. I highly recommend checking out his version of EI along with Tony Martin's.

Joe has more info in this link here.
    Thanks for that 8bit Fighter, I will be buying the Eternal Idol deluxe edition, I like the way Ray Gillen sings the Seventh Star songs better than Glenn did, as a matter of fact I haven't stopped listening to the 2nd disc on the Seventh Star deluxe edition since I got.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

OID ,
    Listen to the few songs sung by Ray for the concept album Phenomena II : Dream Runner . A Tom Galley project with Ray , Glenn Hughes and others on vocals

"No Retreat No Surrender " is a good example , AOR but great

I saw Black Sabbath live with Ray singing, it was a fantastic show, maybe as good as Dio live. Question I have always wanted to ask: Since so many consider Seventh star a solo project, does that mean I actually saw a Tony Iommi solo concert, not a Black Sabbath show?
    Last edited by Bugman; 03-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    I saw Black Sabbath live with Ray singing, it was a fantastic show, maybe as good as Dio live. Question I have always wanted to ask: Since so many consider Seventh star a solo project, does that mean I actually saw a Tony Iommi solo concert, not a Black Sabbath show?
    Welcome to the forum Bugman, I hope you enjoy your visit. In my opinion if the show you saw was billed as Black Sabbath and they played the Sabbath classics, then it was a Black Sabbath show you saw. It is considered an Iommi solo project because Tony Iommi himself stated it was, and that he was forced by Warner Bros. to market it as a Black Sabbath album in order to increase sales, hence the name Black Sabbath-Seventh Star, Featuring Tony Iommi.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TYR66 View Post
    OID ,
    Listen to the few songs sung by Ray for the concept album Phenomena II : Dream Runner . A Tom Galley project with Ray , Glenn Hughes and others on vocals

"No Retreat No Surrender " is a good example , AOR but great

Thank you for suggesting this Ray Gillen piece, I listened to it but is really not my thing, I think I will explore more of the material he did with Sabbath, Thank you TYR66.

Thank you OzzyIsDio for the welcome! I have been a very longtime lurker, and a Sabbath fan even longer, I have finally decided to join the conservations. Might be an interesting thought to post as a new thread.

Another very good collaboration with Mr Scary himself, George Lynch

I will be exploring more of the material he did with Sabbath, like The Eternal Idol songs, which I haven't been able to get yet, maybe if I could get my hands on some shows he did with Sabbath, I'd love to hear those shows.

I don't know why he didn't stick with Sabbath instead.

If I can recall correctly, he thought Black Sabbath wasn't going anywhere and decided there was no future in it. It was a very slow time in that era after Seventh Star. People were coming and going from the band.

UPDATE:

From Joe Siegler's Time Line:

XIV – September 1986 – November 1986

Ray Gillen – Vocals
    Tony Iommi – Guitar
    Bob Daisley – Bass
    Eric Singer – Drums
    Geoff Nicholls – Keyboards

Albums from this lineup:

The Eternal Idol Deluxe Edition Disc 2 (unreleased for ages, finally came out Nov 2010)

Before I get started on the mass confusion that is the recording of the Eternal Idol album, I’d like to thank Bob Daisley & Eric Singer for their help in this section. As you read it, you’ll definitely see why I needed help putting this together, as it’s terribly confusing, even having spoken to these guys who were there for parts of it. This section wouldn’t be what it it was without their assistance, so thanks guys.

In July/August of 1986, the band is doing demos for a new album – which would eventually become The Eternal Idol. From what I can gather, the producer of the album had some problems with Dave Spitz where he would either not turn up, or would always be on the phone with his girlfriend, basically it wasn’t working out, so he was asked to “rest” (or took the time off himself – I really cannot get a solid answer on this, and Spitz refuses to talk about why he exited the band). Either way, from what I can gather, he wasn’t officially fired as such.

A short while after that, Bob Daisley was asked by the album’s producer, Jeff Glixman if he’d be interested in working on the project, and he accepted. Work began in earnest on the recording of the album; all the basic tracks were laid down by this band during the month of September. Bob was actually only around for two weeks or so in the recording studio. He told me that he left for Air Studios in Monserrat (where the recording was done) on September 30th, and took off to go back home on October 11th. During this time, it was discovered that Ray’s ability to write lyrics was not the greatest, hence a lot of lyrics came from Daisley & Nicholls.

Bob tells me that he was asked to join Black Sabbath formally during this period (and again afterwards) after laying down the tracks for the album, but was committed to the Gary Moore band at the time, and couldn’t join Sabbath.

There’s two known versions of the album floating around in collector’s circles with this lineup. One was more advanced than the other (the earlier one doesn’t have all guitar solos on it). After speaking to Bob Daisley about the album, and sending him a copy of the bootleg, he confirms that the version of Eternal Idol that is floating around with Ray Gillen on vocals is from this version of the band.

XV – November 1986 to March 1987 (A Big Mess)

Ray Gillen – Vocals
    Tony Martin – Vocals
    Tony Iommi – Guitar
    Well, not sure exactly, Dave Spitz? – Bass
    Eric Singer – Drums
    Geoff Nicholls – Keyboards

Albums from this lineup:

None

This period is highly confusing, as there were multiple comings and goings. People listed in the lineup weren’t here for the entire period. It’s probably the weakest part of the band’s history. I’m really surprised they didn’t just give up here.

After Bob Daisley left for good in October, there was no formal bassist in the band (even though Dave Spitz was formally not out either – that’s weird). In fact, most of the next several months would have no bassist, as Bob had laid down the tracks already, and then left. From what I can gather, this period was most likely studio time as the band that existed at this point continued to work on the album.

Eric has told me that he was no longer part of the band as of January 1987. He said that the Sabbath situation was just kind of falling apart, so he left. He took the time and auditioned for Gary Moore’s band, and then when that didn’t work out, he formed Badlands with Ray Gillen (after Gillen left Sabbath a short while later) after having met Jake E. Lee, now ex of Ozzy’s band.

In January, Sabbath goes to a different set of studios and does further work on the album, but without a formal drummer or bassist. As Eric had laid down his tracks already, the band really didn’t need a drummer as such, and my research says that during this time Sabbath didn’t actually have a drummer, either. The situation was so bad, that Eric’s equipment was stuck overseas, and I recall a story about Eric having to pay to get his own equipment back because the band had no money or something along those lines.

Around March of 1987, Ray Gillen leaves the band (according to an interview), because he felt Sabbath wasn’t going anywhere, as well as his feeling that the band didn’t really have any future. It was a foolish opinion, if you ask me – but given the band had no formal bassist or drummer would explain that feeling, I guess. Of course, with an album not completed, and the lead vocalist gone, the vocals had to be redone, hence the appearance of Tony Martin. Actually, Tony Martin was considered for the position in 1986, but he was already in a band at the time (The Misha Calvin Band). Tony Martin has said that one small bit of Ray’s vocals was left on the released version of Eternal Idol, that being some laughter on the track “Nightmare”.

As a side note, during this time, Ray Gillen had tried out for Blue Murder, but wasn’t actually hired, with the excuse of “He couldn’t sing!”.
    Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 03-26-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Thank you 8bit Fighter.

Ray has an awesome voice. Very underrated one at that. The Eternal Idol deluxe is great. R.I.P. Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Van Sabbath View Post
    Ray has an awesome voice. Very underrated one at that. The Eternal Idol deluxe is great. R.I.P. Ray
    Yes he did have an underated voice, I just bought the Eternal Idol deluxe edition today, Ray Gillen sounds great on the Eternal Idol sessions.

When Ray took over for Glenn... the music press was very high on him and Sabbath, in the US... he was generating great crowds live, and the women in particular loved him... he was young, sexy, charismatic, and had a great voice... unfortunatly for BS, he used them as an audition that lead to him joining a new young band Blue Murder... I think Ray saw the writing on the wall, there's no winner in taking over for an Ozzy/Dio Sabbath, he was too young and too talented to waste a career opportunity to make his own mark, rather than front a band with 1 original member, living off their name and past glories....

I like the Ray Gillen version of the Eternal Idol songs over the Tony Martin version.

^^^^ love the Ray's original version too . Bob Daisley also recognizes his immense talent and prefers Ray .
    I'm much less a fan of Badlands that is, for me, too Zeppelin-esque . Not really a fan of Led Zep .

Tony covered the songs in less than 2 weeks . Tony makes a great job . He admits himself that he was a session singer on "Eternal Idol" .

^^^^ love the Ray's original version too . Bob Daisley also recognizes his immense talent and prefers Ray .
    I'm much less a fan of Badlands that is, for me, too Zeppelin-esque . Not really a fan of Led Zep .

Tony covered the songs in less than 2 weeks . Tony makes a great job . He admits himself that he was a session singer on "Eternal Idol" .
    Which leads me to believe, they could've put some good music out there, had Ray Gillen stayed with Sabbath.

Ray may have made BS relavent in the later 80's & early 90's, which they weren't, they were barely noticed...except for Dehumanizer.. the big Black Sabbath reniessance, mainly for the original band, came in the 90's... that's when we started to hear from the Sabbath Children, and how much they loved BS...the Soundgardens, Alice In Chains, Metallica, etc.... the 80's hair Hollywood Blvd. bands were not BS freaks, they were Kiss Children, over blown, over exaggerated, bland arena rock stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Ray may have made BS relavent in the later 80's & early 90's, which they weren't, they were barely noticed...except for Dehumanizer.. the big Black Sabbath reniessance, mainly for the original band, came in the 90's... that's when we started to hear from the Sabbath Children, and how much they loved BS...the Soundgardens, Alice In Chains, Metallica, etc.... the 80's hair Hollywood Blvd. bands were not BS freaks, they were Kiss Children, over blown, over exaggerated, bland arena rock stuff...
    True , and I consider Venom , Candlemass , Mercyful Fate , Celtic Frost , early Manowar like BS children first generation , Grunge 's the second one

I wonder though how Sabbath sounding they would've been with Ray, the Sabbath sound started changing after the Born Again album.

I never did like Kiss, I felt they always had to rely on stage antics instead of good music.

True , and I consider Venom , Candlemass , Mercyful Fate , Celtic Frost , early Manowar like BS children first generation , Grunge 's the second one
    Mercyful Fate was great, their "Don't Break The Oath" album was phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I'm an old school Sabbath fanatic, Ozzy is Sabbath to me, Dio kept Sabbath on top after Ozzy left, Ian Gillan made one good album with Sabbath, that being Born Again.

We all know that Seventh Star was Iommi's solo project, the Tony Martin albums deserve recognition. I never got to hear Ray Gillen with Sabbath, but yesterday after I bought the Seventh Star deluxe edition, I got to hear Ray Gillen for the first time, and I have to say I was taken aback.

I can't stop listening to the 2nd CD, which is Ray Gillen in concert with Sabbath at the Hammersmith Odeon, he has such a beautiful voice, the way he sings the songs, I haven't heard anyone sing them like that since Ronnie James Dio did, and he does a good job singing the Glen Hughes and Ozzy songs as well.

I am really impressed by this young man, whom I never heard sing before, I'd heard of him through Badlands, Blue Murder etc. But actually never gave him a chance, till yesterday and I am glad I did.

It is sad that such a talented young singer like Ray Gillen died at such a young age, he could've given us so much more, and what he could've accomplished had he stayed with Sabbath.

R.I.P. Ray Gillen.
    Great comments 'OzzyisDio'. Although I respectfully disagree that "Ozzy is Sabbath" I think BOTH the original lineup AND the Dio era EQUALLY deserve the BLACK SABBATH moniker. Regarding Ray Gillen, I agree, he was an incredible singer. He really did justice to the Dio era in particular, specifically his take on 'Children Of The Sea' and 'Die Young'. One of the most criminally ignored vocalists of the 80's for sure. Thanks BSO.

here we go with this again. perhaps that was the case in the US but in Europe the Headless Cross and Tyr albums where making headway in re-establishing the band and the Dehumanizer debacle actually put the brakes on Sabbath's momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
    Great comments 'OzzyisDio'. Although I respectfully disagree that "Ozzy is Sabbath" I think BOTH the original lineup AND the Dio era EQUALLY deserve the BLACK SABBATH moniker. Regarding Ray Gillen, I agree, he was an incredible singer. He really did justice to the Dio era in particular, specifically his take on 'Children Of The Sea' and 'Die Young'. One of the most criminally ignored vocalists of the 80's for sure. Thanks BSO.
    I love your posts Sabbath Historian, when I said Ozzy is Sabbath I meant to me personally he is. I love the Dio era, I love every single Dio Sabbath album, every single one of them and consider them Sabbath.

I give Tony Martin recognition also, and have said in many of my posts he deserves the respect he is due, I also consider the Born Again album to deserve the Black Sabbath moniker.

We all have our preferences. Getting back to Ray Gillen, when I heard this man sing the Sabbath classics, I was amazed by how well he sang them, especially the Dio songs, I was taken aback by this mans ability to do justice to the songs that we all love. He had such talent, he sang the songs with such passion, that he captured my attention, and so I decided to start this thread in honor of him.

P.S. I like a lot of the Tony Martin songs, I actually started listening to them again after a long period of not listening to them, because of a good friend I met from this forum, Doctor John, aka Back To Eden, I also came to like the Seventh Star album a lot more because of the Doc.

Every time I hear a live recording of Ray with Sabbath, my mind is blown. That man had an incredible set of lungs. It's a pity he decided to leave the band - I would love to hear what a Gillen-Sabbath would have continued to produce.

Finding Ray Gillen's demo versions of The Eternal Idol was like a treasure trove.
    I love his singing with Badlands and wish I could have heard some of the demos he did with Blue Murder.

Tony Martin did a tremendous job on Eternal Idol as well, as his darker voice lends itself so well to Sabbath.
    Ray Gillen's vocals were cleaner and had more laser-like precision, but I am thankful we can hear each of their versions on Eternal Idol, as they each brought a lot to the table vocally.

On 6-22-13 Jake E. Lee is going to be a guest on VH-1's 'That Metal Show'. Hopefully he'll discuss his time with Ray when they played in Badlands. Unfortunately their split was not amicable if memory serves me correctly. Still, an incredible band who were criminally overlooked.
    I highly recommend both of their albums, especially the first album. Ray Gillen R.I.P. Gone too soon.

Some more Ray Gillen Eternal Idol sessions, listening for me today.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

I just can't express in words how much I've taken a liking to the Eternal Idol album with Ray Gillen on vocals, who knows what more he could've done with Iommi had he stayed in Sabbath and had still been with us.

It saddens me when I hear him sing on this great album and knowing we'll never get to hear him again, alive that is.

While at work today, I listened to the Ray Gillen Eternal Idol from beginning to end. I was not very familiar with his work, but I will defintiely say that he had a good set of pipes on him. I also found that Tony Martin's appearance on Eternal Idol did not have the Tony Martin sound that I was familiar with, and that appears to be because he was literally copying every note / inflection, etc of Ray Gillen's versions. Frankly, I like Martin's voice better than Gillen's voice, both on Eternal Idol and other albums. The Martin era has often been maligned for sounding too 1980's, which it is bound to do given when it was recorded, but I personally find that Gillen is even more 1980's sounding than Martin was. He has that hairband sort of sound, which is pretty much consistent throughout his work on Eternal Idol; whereas Martin had more depth and variety, and had slightly less polish, which is a good thing. Interesting nonetheless. Gillen's work was pretty good, and will enjoy a rebirth when the 1980's sound is back in vogue, which it absolutely will be in the future. I look forward to hearing more, as I have not heard him sing any of the old catalogue.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 09-08-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Ray was the best singer besides Oz, Dio and Ian for sure.

I don't mind Tony Martin ( or Hughes) but Ray was brilliant- the eternal idol sounds so much better with Ray's vocals, and he did the back catalogue justice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Ray was the best singer besides Oz, Dio and Ian for sure.

I don't mind Tony Martin ( or Hughes) but Ray was brilliant- the eternal idol sounds so much better with Ray's vocals, and he did the back catalogue justice too.
    Very much agreed.

It's hard to believe that yesterday ( 12-3-13) was the 20th anniversary of Ray Gillen's passing... Definitely a HUGE loss to the hard rock world! R.I.P. Ray. Gone but NEVER forgotten.

A Ray Gillen tribute on the way...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/for...illen-tribute/
    Follow mens' eyes, As they look to the skies, The shifting shafts of shining, Weave the fabric of their dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
    It's hard to believe that yesterday ( 12-3-13) was the 20th anniversary of Ray Gillen's passing... Definitely a HUGE loss to the hard rock world! R.I.P. Ray. Gone but NEVER forgotten.
    Wow, he passed on Ozzy's Birthday, that is weird.

Yeah Ray Was Great,Voice Like An Angel,he was my friend i used to hang out with ,played basketball few times ,i was sad & happy that they released the deluxe version ,just sad he did'nt see everybodys reaction to it ,you know it was when he was in badlands that i got to know him ,cool guy he used to call me "die hard" and one day i asked him why ,tony did'nt like his version of eternal,and all he said was ,"i thought it sounded great-for a demo" that was all said to me about that , i do like ray's version a lot ,i wish i could asked who wrote the words. im sure he had part in that-i would hope so but?
    god bless u bro.

troubadour10-22-90
    Last edited by mikesline; 03-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.

He wrote them with Bob Daisley, according to Bob's book For Fact's Sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    He wrote them with Bob Daisley, according to Bob's book For Fact's Sake.
    really ,that's cool to hear,thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Now in Darkness View Post
    While at work today, I listened to the Ray Gillen Eternal Idol from beginning to end. I was not very familiar with his work, but I will defintiely say that he had a good set of pipes on him. I also found that Tony Martin's appearance on Eternal Idol did not have the Tony Martin sound that I was familiar with, and that appears to be because he was literally copying every note / inflection, etc of Ray Gillen's versions. Frankly, I like Martin's voice better than Gillen's voice, both on Eternal Idol and other albums. The Martin era has often been maligned for sounding too 1980's, which it is bound to do given when it was recorded, but I personally find that Gillen is even more 1980's sounding than Martin was. He has that hairband sort of sound, which is pretty much consistent throughout his work on Eternal Idol; whereas Martin had more depth and variety, and had slightly less polish, which is a good thing. Interesting nonetheless. Gillen's work was pretty good, and will enjoy a rebirth when the 1980's sound is back in vogue, which it absolutely will be in the future. I look forward to hearing more, as I have not heard him sing any of the old catalogue.
    I pretty much think you nailed it spot on. I think Gillen was a great talent but I find his voice was wildly inappropriate for Sabbath. I prefer my Tony Martin fronted Eternal Idol, It's one of my favorite albums of all time. No offense intended. I think that first Badlands album is great!! Gillen sounded great live as well. I have a bootleg that sounds better than the one on the 7th* deluxe.
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

thought i would share few shots i took,first three are from troubadour'91 / florentine gardens on hollywood blvd'92

Awesome pics , Mike ! thanx for sharing .

here's few more ,also i wrote to a magazine (screamer) in response to a bad review this girl gave ray, they took out all the bad words and published this ,ray had seen it before and year later i told him it was me who wrote that response after that we became friend ,he called me few times go hang out,really cool guy ,miss him,god bless you my friend.