Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ozzy falsely credited for harmonica on 13

Hello, my name is Jared Behrens I am the nephew of Stanley Behrens who is the actual performer of the harmonica track on the song Damaged Soul. The credits and reviews around the web indicate that Ozzy recorded the harmonica track but this is simply not true. Ozzy had recorded a harmonica track, but it was not up to a professional standard so they hired Stanley. If you listen to Stanley Behrens' work on the theme track to the show "Renegade", then Damaged Soul and then The Wizard it should be clear who played on Damaged Soul, or at the very least that it sure as hell wasn't Ozzy.

I also want it to be known that I have been a huge fan of Ozzy and Sabbath for over ten years, and I am disappointed by this not just as a family member of Stan, but also as a fan of Ozzy.

Below is a link to my uncle's explanation as well as Renegade and Damaged Soul.

http://worldofharmonica.blogspot.com...player-on.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTxBn0-vwos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYHSuKAfan8
    Last edited by JaredBehrens; 06-13-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredBehrens View Post
    If you listen to Stanley Behrens' work on the theme track to the show "Renegade", then Damaged Soul and then The Wizard it should be clear who played on Damaged Soul
    So...because Damaged Soul doesn't sound like The Wizard it MUST be a different performer? It's not because they're 2 completely different songs recorded 40 years apart? Best of luck to your uncle, buddy.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Come on man, you think Ozzy can play that? They purposely set up the session as to not have a paper trail, they communicated exclusively through phone calls and the payment was made directly to his bank so there is not much that can be done in the way of proof but just listen to the track and think about it for a moment.

Come on man, you think Ozzy can play that?
    I wasn't at the recording sessions and I don't know him personally, so how would I know?

they communicated exclusively through phone calls and the payment was made directly to his bank
    So he didn't sign any legal documentation and was then PAID? Money doesn't transfer to and from bank accounts without a trail, generally.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Look I am sure if my uncle wanted to go the legal route he could dig up what little trail was left by this mess but that isn't his intention. He knows he can't fight a millionaire with huge record labels behind him in court because if they are pulling this shit they also had to have covered their bases to insure they can't get screwed by it.

All I am saying is that I know for a fact the harmonica track was recorded by Stanley Behrens and not Ozzy Osbourne so I am telling you all. If you don't believe me, and if noone else does eithe.r that is fine because all I want to do is to tell people the truth. It's up to people's hearts and logic to decide who they believe.
    Last edited by JaredBehrens; 06-13-2013 at 05:42 PM.

I absolutely believe this, as there is some harmonica work on there that simply does not sound like anything Ozzy could pull off. You listen to his harmonica work on "The Wizard" when they were doing it live a few years back and it is very weak. I think they even used an intro that was just from the original recording, then Ozzy played harmonica during the riff but in a very weak manner.

My guess is that there is some harmonica used on the track that is Ozzy. The outro bit, for example, sounds like it could be him, but there is definitely stuff on there that I would bet dollars to donuts is not. Also, I believe that the credit to Stanley Behrens did appear in some early info on Wikipedia, so this is not the first I've heard of him.

We can only speculate, but Ozzy has taken a lot of (IMO) very unfair criticism in recent years for not being a "real musician." These people are utterly clueless about how music is constructed and don't give him the credit he deserves for vocal melodies. But I have a feeling here that there may have been a temptation by someone in the chain of command to conveniently let this additional credit slip. Perhaps in an effort to somehow "prop Ozzy up" as a "musician" in some of these people's eyes?

Honestly, I would love to believe that it was somebody "up the chain" who made the decision because as I said earlier I am actually a huge fan of Ozzy. I would never try to take away from Ozzy what he has done in his career. Ozzfest 04 was my first concert, it was a hell of an introduction to the metal world and Black Sabbath was the crowning jewel of the show most definitely. I have been to every Ozzfest since then and a few solo Ozzy shows also. For all I know it's possible that Ozzy recorded a harmonica part and they hired my uncle behind his back and told Ozzy that his performance made the cut.

But regardless of who is to blame the bottom line is that's Stanley Behrens harmonica playing on Damaged Soul.

I agree with your analysis Jeff, my confusion is Jared seems to be blaming Ozzy and I can assure you he didn't have anything to do with Stanley being credited or not. I amnot sure Ozzy knows who is even playing the harmonica. He was paid for the session and that that completed the contract. Rubin probably didn't want to over take anything away from the guys. They had no problem giving credit to Jack Elstar for playing Harmonica on Never Say Die!
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    I agree with your analysis Jeff, my confusion is Jared seems to be blaming Ozzy and I can assure you he didn't have anything to do with Stanley being credited or not. I amnot sure Ozzy knows who is even playing the harmonica. He was paid for the session and that that completed the contract. Rubin probably didn't want to over take anything away from the guys. They had no problem giving credit to Jack Elstar for playing Harmonica on Never Say Die!
    Good point about Elstar.

That's the weird thing here. It's not like Ozzy has gone around claiming to be a harmonica player, so a false credit would be a little strange. It could even be an oversight. Maybe they both were to be credited and somebody in printing saw that and assumed the Stanley Behrens was a clerical error and it was removed. Or it could be some devious thing but it strikes as a bit of an odd decision insofar as all the things you would want to "lie" about.

Whatever happened, this should be sorted out and fixed, asap. I don't think I've heard a single interview where Ozzy was asked about playing harmonica, but if Behrens played on the track, he should be appropriately credited; period.

I have no clue without proof one way or the other, but I will say that there is so much of this going on in the music world that it would be naive to discount the possibility out of hand. My first reaction to the harmonica, when I heard Damaged Soul was, "no way Ozzy played that", and I love the man. I cannot rule on this issue, at this time, and with so little evidence, but I won't dismiss the possibility either. Too bad, but Mr Behrens could have negotiated terms and credit, but he apparently did not, and that is on him. Or, it could have been an oversight when the credits were assigned.

Think back to the days when Jimmy Page was believed to play guitar as a session man on at least 50% of the music being released out of England at the time. He got little to no credit while others took the bow. Then karma got him back......love Jimmy too.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-13-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Ozzy, the best harmonica-player of all times along with Brian Jones!!!!
    WILL BILL?

This is commonplace in music.
    Many musicians are not credited for their work.
    I don't know what were the terms of the signed contract.
    When I heard the song I knew Ozzy was not playing that harmonica.
    But business is business...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Ozzy, the best harmonica-player of all times along with Brian Jones!!!!
    And Ian Anderson when he's jamming With Tony Iommi on New Day Yesterday
    WILL BILL?

Stanley Behrens could have indeed signed a non disclosure agreement saying he couldn't speak about the sessions for all we know and was paid for services rendered.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Stanley Behrens could have indeed signed a non disclosure agreement saying he couldn't speak about the sessions for all we know and was paid for services rendered.
    I'm doubting this. You can google the guy up. It appears that he announced on April 11 that he played on the track. If you sign such an agreement you probably don't put it in your blog and on FB.

See here, for example:

https://www.facebook.com/StanleyBehrens

The timing would mean at that point in April, Ozzy would surely have been in tour rehearsals as they started on April 20.

My guess on this -- and it is ONLY a guess -- is that both are on the track, but they had to use Behrens' work for the most part due to Ozzy's not being up to par. Either Rubin didn't have the balls to tell Ozzy this or figured Behrens got paid and would understand it was a bit of sensitive situation.

But Behrens was credited in some early reports of the album credits on Wikipedia, iirc.

Why come out here and say this Jared? Is your Uncle looking for recognition?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"

Feel a bit bummed out now, part of the magic of the track was thinking ozzy was playing the harmonica.
    better pray for hell not hallelujah
    YEAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I think this was addressed already. See post #5.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    He's looking for credit where credit is due. He did not sign a non disclosure and being credited was part of the deal.

He's looking for credit where credit is due. He did not sign a non disclosure and being credited was part of the deal.
    Then he needs to take it up with his lawyers.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"

Well, let's hope that the truth is eventually told; whatever that may be. One thing I can say is that I highly doubt that the band was involved in a decision that failed to give appropriate credit, where it was due. It was either an oversight, or a deliberate act by others associated with the release. As far as the band members know, this could well be an issue that they believed was paid and credited appropriately, if in fact the harmonica was not played by Ozzy.
    Last edited by Now in Darkness; 06-13-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Maybe it was in Stanley's negociations or contract that he wouldn't be credited. If I remember corectly Jake E. Lee and the bass player got zero writing credits for all the songs on Bark at the Moon. I think Ozzy got full writing/publishing credit for every song, and that was in the contract that Jake E Lee agreed to.

I believe uncle Fester's story. Sharon is probably behind this. Everything is her fault anyway. She's been keeping a low profile now-a-days, are they hiding her?
    As far as uncle Fester playing the harmonica, well... good job but when its played live it'll be Ozzy. The guy got paid for his 15 seconds so be happy, it's called capitalism.

Stupid decision by the label. Just give the dude his credit.

I hope there'll be some accordion and trombone on the next album. Maybe even a little nose...

No, seriously, when is Tony going to pick up his flute again? I've always thought he mastered that pretty damn well for an amateur...
    WILL BILL?

I'm really not up to date with what song is what or if they changed the name to Damaged Soul but he says he was on the song Satanic Blues which means it could of been a whole different song entirely that just didn't get released. Again I'm not sure if Damaged Soul had a different name when they first started righting it but that's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    I hope there'll be some accordion and trombone on the next album. Maybe even a little nose...

No, seriously, when is Tony going to pick up his flute again? I've always thought he mastered that pretty damn well for an amateur...
    Tony forgot how to play the flute. he was going to do it on Zeitgeist. But they didn't bring in a flutist (or whatever their called)

SIGH

Wish I didn't see this thread :(

Feel a bit bummed out now, part of the magic of the track was thinking ozzy was playing the harmonica.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by amoratisd View Post
    I'm really not up to date with what song is what or if they changed the name to Damaged Soul but he says he was on the song Satanic Blues which means it could of been a whole different song entirely that just didn't get released. Again I'm not sure if Damaged Soul had a different name when they first started righting it but that's a possibility.
    Satanic Blues was the working title for Damaged Soul. This is a quote from Stanley right before the album was released in response to some early reviews citing Ozzy as the harmonica player. Source http://worldofharmonica.blogspot.com...player-on.html

January 2013 I was called to play harmonica on the Black Sabbath 13 album. I played on a track they called Satanic Blues Jam. Ozzy put some harmonica on the track but, Rick Rubin felt it needed a more professional sounding player to do the job right. I replaced what ever Ozzy did with my own sound. They later changed the name of the song to "DAMAGED SOUL" with me playing harmonica on it. This was done at the Sound Factory Studio in Hollywood, CA.
    My name was submitted to be added in the credits on the album. I hope they do the right thing and give me the credit and not Ozzy for playing the part.
    Keep you fingers crossed, Stanley "The Baron" Behrens

Has anyone seen the making of documentary? Im wondering if you see/hear Ozzy performing it? Theres a picture of him on harmonica in the deluxe set's images.

Oh dang I hope this all sorts out it's a bummer that he didn't get credit if he was supposed to be given it.

Has anyone seen the making of documentary? Im wondering if you see/hear Ozzy performing it? Theres a picture of him on harmonica in the deluxe set's images.
    Yea I was wondering about that too just then

I was also very surprised seeing Ozzy credited. Hope this gets sorted out

To answer your question, they do show him playing the harmonica in the documentary

I want to hear Ozzy's version :(

As already mentioned, it is entirely possibly that Ozzy originally recorded the harmonica part, and someone else (Stanley Behrens) was brought in later to do another take. The thing about that though, is that they could easily claim that while a session musician was brought in, they opted for not using what he recorded, meaning that they don't have to credit him (even if they did use it). It's not outside the realm of possibility surely.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtuaMuser View Post
    To answer your question, they do show him playing the harmonica in the documentary
    Can you tell me how many minutes in?

The first time hearing the track I said "that's not Ozzy" so this is no suprise. There is a pic of Oz and playing harp in the super mega box set.
    And please don't beat this kid up. This is a Black Sabbath forum

There are some keyboards in the album and the player is not listed in the booklet too.
    I think Rick Rubin just want Black Sabbath.
    And if someone has a problem with that should have taken the issue to the lawyers.
    The album is here. It is a dream for every fan.
    That's what matters.
    Seriously,
    Actually I'm not interested in this gentleman's 15 minutes of fame .
    I think we should not discuss this topic.
    End of conversation.
    Last edited by Fabiano75; 06-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.

It's my favorite track one way or another. Harmonica or no harmonica. I guess what I don't understand is that this seemed so "under the table" and all of sudden it's becoming an issue.

Everything was done by phone? He was paid directly to his bank? What?

Was he sent the track and he played over it? Did he play it over the phone and Rubin recorded it with his iPhone? Did he go to a studio? Did he sign something?

I can't imagine under any circumstance being called by the production team of the latest Black Sabbath album, having a small discussion over the phone, playing a little bit and then waiting for the payment.

It's very possible he did play and I don't know the first thing about contracts, credits, etc. but this just seems weird and underhanded on all levels to me.