PDA

View Full Version : Tony Martin Name Ideas

Psycho Man
01-10-2005, 02:58 PM
anyone know of interesting facts about Tony Martin and the era. I am trying to think of a name to call the era albums other than Sabbath. I say that only Ozzy stuff is Sabbath. Seventh Star is an Iommi solo, and Born again is just Born Agian. My favorite name is Metal Gods for the Dio era because Dio means god in spanish and the other guys are truly metal gods.

I don't know that much about the ony Martin era. I will gladly take any suggestions.

El Lobo
01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Simple: Black Sabbath.. the best of all Sabbath's eras :-)

Seriously, for me, Martin's sabbath is the most "real" sabbath. I have been listening to Sabbath since I was 11. The first vinyl I heard was Paranoid, then Never say die, then the dio era. I like everything, but it was when I heard Headless cross when I ****really**** became a Sabbath fan.

I have listened to HC, Tyr and Cross Purposes more than any other album in my life. I went to see Sabbath in Russia in the headless cross tour and that was unbealivable. I even met Cozy Powell backstage.

When Sabbath recorded Deshumanizer I has kind of disapointed with the songs, even if they have grown up on me now, and boy I was glad when Tony Martin came back to record CP.

I listen to other sabbath's eras a lot nowdays and I love all the lineups, but when I think Sabbath, I find myself singing "When death calls"

Psycho Man
01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
But IMO when you change a front man you should change the name of the band. Once Ozzy was out to me a DIFFERENT band formed with a couple of "former" sabbath members. The way I diferentiate between the eras is by picking a name I like to define an era

Corrupt
01-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Iommi's sound defined Sabbath, so it was still Sabbath.

Psycho Man
01-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Of cource Imooi has a unique and comes out with infinite heavy riffs but more times than not a group is distinguished through their singers

Jason Abbott
01-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I agree with what Corrupt says. Black Sabbath is a band, not just Ozzy Osbourne and three session musicians; besides Tony Iommi legally owns the name 'Black Sabbath' so if he wanted to form a band comprising himself and three dancing poodles and call it Black Sabbath, he has the right to do so. By Psycho Man's logic, if non-Ozzy Sabbath is not real Sabbath, then that must mean that everything Bruce Dickinson recorded with Iron Maiden is not real Maiden, because he wasn't the original lead singer of that band. Which is ridiculous, because Maiden is Steve Harris' band, just like Black Sabbath is Tony Iommi's.

Gardener
01-10-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of cource Imooi has a unique and comes out with infinite heavy riffs but more times than not a group is distinguished through their singers

[/ QUOTE ]

How comes nobody ever has this kind of boring conversation about, let's say, AC/DC, Iron Maiden or Deep Purple ?! Why are we Sabbath fans the only ones who have to get to hear this kind of stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif

I've been a Black Sabbath fan for a long time and I more or less like everything the band put out (I say more or less, these guys aren't no gods, some songs I like less than others).

You only like the Ozzy era, OK then you're an Ozzy fan and maybe not a Black Sabbath fan.

Plus it always amazes me when I hear so-called "hardcore fans" talk about the "Ozzy Era" as if it was a musical trademark. Do you really find "Technical Ecstasy" and "Never Say Die" are in the exact same musical vein as the first six albums only because Ozzy was singing on them ? The man didn't even sing the same way on these !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif

Man it bores me... The band was called Black Sabbath, it sounded like Black Sabbath to the ears of the fan, weither you want it or not, so it was and has always been Black Sabbath, and nothing else !

Prezuiwf
01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To say a rock band should change it's name after getting a new singer is just downright narrow-minded. I mean no offense, but a band is not just the singer, it is each and every musician who makes the music.

By your assertion, that would mean that "Smoke On The Water" is not a Deep Purple song, "Back In Black" is not an AC/DC song, "The Number Of The Beast" is not an Iron Maiden song, "Why Can't This Be Love" is not a Van Halen song, "Dark Side Of The Moon" and "The Wall" were not Pink Floyd albums... the list goes on.

Just because the original singer is not in the band doesn't mean it's not the same band. In fact, many times the original singer is not even considered to be part of the group's definitive lineup. I could see where you were coming from if you wanted to change the name of every band that had no original members, but to want to change the band's name simply because they changed their lead singer seems a bit too much.

Joe Siegler
01-10-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Back In Black" is not an AC/DC song,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to properly make that point, you should have said that "Highway to Hell wasn't an AC/DC song". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Psycho Man
01-10-2005, 07:08 PM
The real Sabbath died in the 70s once the origional greatness was deminished and the same vibe from the first four or five albums wasn't there anymore. These nick names are just me and my freinds catagorizing Sabbath Albums. There is no getting around the Black Sabbath name, it is on every CD and album cover. On itunes under Artist it will say," Black Sabbath" or "Black Sabbath/Metal Gods". It is just a way to categorize Sabbath instead of doing like Black Sabbath (Dio) or Sabbath (Ozzy) that is why some people ignorantly call Sabbath Ozzy's band. If some one says Dio a person might not know if it is the Dio era of Sabbath or Dio's solo career

David86
01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If some one says Dio a person might not know if it is the Dio era of Sabbath or Dio's solo career

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why it says "Black Sabbath (Dio) - Heaven and Hell" And if you look for a Dio solo song, say, "Holy Diver" it says "Dio - Holy Diver".

And "Dio" means "God" in italian, not in spanish.

Prezuiwf
01-10-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Back In Black" is not an AC/DC song,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to properly make that point, you should have said that "Highway to Hell wasn't an AC/DC song". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I had a momentary lapse and forgot about Dave Evans. I guess that even furthers my point right there.

Ryan Porter
01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Subjective. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Corrupt
01-10-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're right. As long as Iommi was carrying on under the Sabbath name and writing in the same vein, then it was Sabbath.

WDIV
01-10-2005, 09:15 PM
This topic makes no sense to me at all.

Psycho Man
01-10-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Italian, i will take your word on it, but Dio means God in Spanish as well. The languages are related

David86
01-10-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Italian, i will take your word on it, but Dio means God in Spanish as well. The languages are related

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they're related. Both came from Latin. But spanish is my mother language and the word 'Dio' does not mean 'God'. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even exists at all.

Nibby
01-11-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with you. By the time Ozzy left Sabbath, there were many band that had heavy and hard guitarr riffs. IMO it acctually was Bill Wards experemental and "drug-ish" drumming toghether with Ozzy's vocals that made the sound of Sabbath so unique. Then that Geezer and Tony kicked ass with their bass and guitarr-playing contributed to the saund, too. But I really think that withouth Bill and Ozzy, there is no Sabbath. I don't know if anybody else chares my opinion (I think not) but thats just one of the reasons sabbath quit being sabbath, when ozzy left. But Black Sabbath kept SOUNDING like sabbath for three more albums. But after Born Again, you never heard the orginal Sabbath-sound again (untill 1997). I have to say that I don't like Tony Martin. He just "doesn't do anything for me".

Name for the Martin-era?
What about... The forbidden Era... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mob_Rules
01-11-2005, 01:42 PM
How about "Black Sabbath?" The constant is Tony Iommi. His guitar riffs are what makes Black Sabbath, well, Black Sabbath.

I don't know why everyone wants to always segment Black Sabbath into so many sub groups and compare the eras. Sure the albums may sound different and the lineups have changed over the years but it is all Black Sabbath to me.

Psycho Man
01-11-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they're related. Both came from Latin. But spanish is my mother language and the word 'Dio' does not mean 'God'. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even exists at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my spanish class we just read a short story called Los Dios Mios
which mean oh my god. Also dio comes from the verb dar in the preterit tense. so it does exist I no it does, because my teacher is from Argentina and about two thirds of my class is spanish

Psycho Man
01-11-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about "Black Sabbath?" The constant is Tony Iommi.

[/ QUOTE ]
the point is to filter out the constants and define what is so unique about each era with a little nick name. The biggest difference in sound come from the vocals. each voice is unique, where as even though Iommi comes up with these awsome riffs many guitarists can play the same thing, just not come up with it. That is where his talent lies with me. His ability to come out with those heavy riffs.

Corrupt
01-11-2005, 03:24 PM
There's also a certain sound in Iommi's playing. You can tell when it's him.

David86
01-11-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In my spanish class we just read a short story called Los Dios Mios which mean oh my god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. God = Dios in spanish. With an 'S'. To make it plural you add the suffix 'es', e.g: "Dioses".

And you're absolutely right about the past-tense thing.
"He gave" = "El dió". With an accent in the 'o'.

Psycho Man
01-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Looks like nobody will give me any ideas so i've narrowed it down to three Martin era songs: Eternal Idol, Ancient Warrior, or Heaven in Black. If you like one or have a better Idea of a song or something like that that is a good exaple that reflects the Martin era, but I'm tired of defending the way me and my freinds categorize Sabbath

Prezuiwf
01-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Alright, well if you really MUST name this era for yourself, here are some ideas:

Some Kind Of Era
Nightmare Era
Hard Era To Love
Era Mundi
Era of Thorns
The Era That Rocks The Cradle
Evil Era
The Era of Power
Rusty Era
Forbidden Era

Depending on what you think of the Martin Era, there's probably something there that reflects it.

renbergs
01-12-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, well if you really MUST name this era for yourself, here are some ideas:

Some Kind Of Era
Nightmare Era
Hard Era To Love
Era Mundi
Era of Thorns
The Era That Rocks The Cradle
Evil Era
The Era of Power
Rusty Era
Forbidden Era

Depending on what you think of the Martin Era, there's probably something there that reflects it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif to an innocent (and perhaps unnecessary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) question, that for some reason made a lot of people upset!!! Why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Let's stop this arguing now! The perfect list of answers is delivered above! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mob_Rules
01-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Well, Tony Martin still says "Get Headless," so I guess you can work with something based off of the "Headless Cross" theme....

Nibby
01-12-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nightmare Era
Hard Era To Love

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nelson.gif
If I would choose any, I wold choose one of these!

Psycho Man
01-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I am trying not to use era something like I use Black Sabbath/Matel Gods for Heaven and Hell

I was think like Black Sabbath/Heaven in Black or Black Sabbath/ Ancient Warrior

maybe Black Sabbath/Nightmare or Black Sabbath/Forbidden

Prezuiwf
01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Alright, well I tried.

Joe Siegler
01-15-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really (no smiley)

Ryan Porter
01-15-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really (no smiley)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, really. :P