PDA

View Full Version : TONY MARTIN AND SABBATH

CARMENC
03-16-2005, 04:20 PM
WHEN TONY MARTIN JOINED SABBATH IN 1987? HOW DID THE FANS REACT TO IT? HIS VOICE RESEMBLES THAT OF RONNIE JAMES DIO (SORT OF) I THINK SOME FANS DIDN'T GIVE TONY MARTIN CREDIT FOR FILLING SOME BIG SHOES. SOME OF THE ALBUMS TONY MARTIN DID WITH SABBATH WERE REALY GOOD.

Bill M
03-16-2005, 05:11 PM
>>WHEN TONY MARTIN JOINED SABBATH IN 1987? HOW DID THE FANS
>>REACT TO IT?

Why are you SHOUTING? Please, mind your caps lock key.

Anyway, I'd imagine there was confusion, for starters. In the course of just two years (July '85 to July '87), Black Sabbath had Ozzy Osbourne (for Live Aid), Glenn Hughes, Ray Gillen, and now Tony Martin. The Eternal Idol tour seemed to go pretty well, despite it controversally including several dates in Sun City. Once Tony Martin stuck around for his second album "Headless Cross" and the new title track got decent airplay, Sabbath finally got some much-needed stability back and Tony Martin got some more respect.

Tim10770
03-16-2005, 10:04 PM
just recently started listening to the martin era music with the aquisition of eternal idol,tyr,cross purposes,and forbidden all good albums martin seemed to be a good fit very good voice and songwriting really like sabbath stones it seems to capture that old school feel.

Neon Knight
03-17-2005, 11:36 AM
There were for sure confusion. I was very confused when I first heard an Tony Martin tune. It needed many listenings for me to get into but it still grows from hearing to hearing.

michka
03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
tony martin was the very first BS singer i heard when i bought "the eternal idol" album back in 1987.

Joe Siegler
03-24-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tony martin was the very first BS singer i heard when i bought "the eternal idol" album back in 1987.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a statement I don't think I've ever heard. Most people know Sabbath first with Ozzy. Some with Dio. I'd never heard someone say Tony Martin, and in specific Eternal Idol was their introduction to Sabbath!

dioivanov
03-24-2005, 12:21 PM
The first think that i heard was Headless Cross, and its changed my life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif