PDA

View Full Version : What's The Use

Prezuiwf
03-19-2005, 03:05 PM
While the Japanese bonus track on Cross Purposes, "What's The Use," is a very good song, am I the only one who believes that it makes a terrible ending to the album? I love the original CP because "Evil Eye" is one of my favorite Sabbath songs and it closes the album incredibly well. However, the Japanese import makes "What's The Use" the closing song.

I can understand why they did it-- after all, it was important to preserve the original album in its original flow, and bonus tracks do traditionally go at the end of albums. But I think this should have been included on the original release (something Iommi would also like to have done) and put right between Virtual Death and Immaculate Deception.

Anyone have any thoughts on either this song or its placement on the album?

RF
03-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Great song, beter than a lot of the Tracks on CP, for example Virtual Death.

MarcStitz
03-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Funny, I bought cross purpose frome a store and it doesn't have "Whats the use" on it. Can anyone tell me why that song isn't on that album?

Prezuiwf
03-20-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny, I bought cross purpose frome a store and it doesn't have "Whats the use" on it. Can anyone tell me why that song isn't on that album?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Japanese bonus track-- the only versions of the album that contain it are Japanese imports (which, for some reason, are much harder to get than most other Sabbath imports). The version you got was the U.S. version, which ends the album properly, with "Evil Eye"

Embryo
03-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Albums usually have bonus tracks in Japan because CDs are more expensive there.

paul hill
03-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I like the song better than most on the cd.

paul hill
03-20-2005, 08:15 PM
I,m hearing it right now.

michka
03-22-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Albums usually have bonus tracks in Japan because CDs are more expensive there.

[/ QUOTE ]
dMQUkz

...and bonus tracks are used as lures to prevent japanese fans to buy US imports instead of domestic cd's.

Joe Siegler
03-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Placement is kind of a non issue. As this is a track meant only for the Japanese version of the album, it gets stuck on the end. I believe EVERY Japanese album from anyone has these extra track(s) just tacked onto the end.

As for the placement of the track on Cross Purposes, I rather think it's good where it is. I personally think that What's the Use is better than anything on the album. I once told Bobby Rondinelli that, and he said that he thought it should have been on the regular album, that it was a great lost track.

And if you think that's bad, Forbidden is worse. On the Japanese Forbidden, "Loser Gets it All" is tacked onto the end after Kiss of Death, which is a fucking awesome album closer.

Prezuiwf
03-24-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Placement is kind of a non issue. As this is a track meant only for the Japanese version of the album, it gets stuck on the end. I believe EVERY Japanese album from anyone has these extra track(s) just tacked onto the end.

As for the placement of the track on Cross Purposes, I rather think it's good where it is. I personally think that What's the Use is better than anything on the album. I once told Bobby Rondinelli that, and he said that he thought it should have been on the regular album, that it was a great lost track.

And if you think that's bad, Forbidden is worse. On the Japanese Forbidden, "Loser Gets it All" is tacked onto the end after Kiss of Death, which is a fucking awesome album closer.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said above, I understand why it was on the end, but I believe it SHOULD have been on the original album, in between the aforementioned songs.

As for Forbidden, I agree with you. I don't even own the Japanese version because it's a crime to not end the album with "Kiss Of Death"-- I have the good old original version of the album WITHOUT "Loser Gets It All." And it worked out beautifully, because I simply got the Sabbath Stones compilation in order to get that song on CD.

Joe Siegler
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I have the Japanese versions of both Forbidden & Cross Purposes, in addition to the standard ones.

On my computer, I have every Sabbath album ripped as Mp3's, but for Forbidden, I rearranged the tracks so Kiss of Death is Last, I think I put Loser Gets it All before the song Forbidden.