PDA

View Full Version : Tyr

paul hill
03-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I,m starting to like this cd.I,ve been stubborn about liking the martin stuff but it is growing on me.I like track 8.

Prezuiwf
03-20-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I,m starting to like this cd.I,ve been stubborn about liking the martin stuff but it is growing on me.I like track 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite Sabbath album of all time, and it is probably my second favorite album of all time following VERY closely behind Captain Beyond's self-titled album. I love the mystic overtones and musicianship on this album, and Anno Mundi is absolutely incredible (as are every other song on the album).

paul hill
03-20-2005, 10:00 PM
cool

Tim10770
03-20-2005, 10:03 PM
very good album has alot of old school feel to it and if i'm correct (don't have the cd in front of me at the moment)track 8 would be sabbath stones if so it's my favourite from tyr.

Zombie Cecil
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Isn't this supposed to be conceptual?

Kgb
03-21-2005, 05:45 AM
Anno Mundi is without ne doubt their finest composition....Listenin to this track everyday....on the whole
this album will get full marks...

Neon Knight
03-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Feels good to me and Heaven in Black are killersongs.

Prezuiwf
03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's loosely based on Norse mythology and the music itself has a very obvious mythological influence.

michka
03-22-2005, 12:45 PM
this album is one of my all-time favorite!tony martin rules!!

CARMENC
03-22-2005, 08:44 PM
I thought tyr was a great album from black sabbath 1n 1990 one of my favorite songs from that was the lawmaker, very fast paced awesome guitar riffs from tony iommi. The band seemed to sound real tight around this time period. I don't think they ever toured the united states for this album. It was to bad i would of loved to see them live.

Joe Siegler
03-24-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's loosely based on Norse mythology and the music itself has a very obvious mythological influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire album isn't meant to be conceptual. Just parts of it.

Also, I'm not terribly fond of The Lawmaker. It's a pretty throwaway song for me.

Futureal
04-08-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite Sabbath album of all time, and it is probably my second favorite album of all time following VERY closely behind Captain Beyond's self-titled album. I love the mystic overtones and musicianship on this album, and Anno Mundi is absolutely incredible (as are every other song on the album).

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, I didn't know you also liked the album that much! You're my Sabbathite kindred spirit. I completely agree with the idea that the mythology themes are reflected in the music, it's so atmospheric and each song creates the perfect mood.

Thew ay I look at it, the concept can be linked throughout much of the album. "Anno Mundi" asks questions about the state of the world and the conflicts it produces. "The Law Maker" introduces Tyr. "The Sabbath Stones" points to the mistakes humans make which are often blamed on God (or Norse gods, perhaps). "Odin's Court" and "Valhalla" speak for themselves, and even "Heaven in Black" contains a likely-unintentional reference to Tyr. It's about some Russian architects being blinded having finished building a temple (or something along those lines), and Tyr was also blinded. Maybe the band didn't have it in mind for the album to be entirely conceptual, but I just viewit as being more conceptual than it really is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mob_Rules
04-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I can never get enough of that "Anno Mundi" riff. So damn powerful.

Hakeem928
04-09-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Futureal
04-09-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, it is. The first time I heard it I thought the soft intro/choral chants were interesting, then boom! Amazing Iommi riff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mob_Rules
04-14-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm not terribly fond of The Lawmaker. It's a pretty throwaway song for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually really like Lawmaker. I don't know if there is a throw away track on the album, but I could've done without the whole "Battle of Tyr" and "Odin's Court" intro to "Valhalla." Another song or two (maybe "Wings of Thunder") would've been cool.

Prezuiwf
04-14-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually really like Lawmaker. I don't know if there is a throw away track on the album, but I could've done without the whole "Battle of Tyr" and "Odin's Court" intro to "Valhalla." Another song or two (maybe "Wings of Thunder") would've been cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, too, actually like Lawmaker a lot, I think the song is an integral part of the album and is a lot better than about 99% of similar songs out there. As I feel that this is one of the greatest albums of all time, I can't really identify a throwaway track, though "The Sabbath Stones" is probably my least favorite song on the album, it falls short of the quality of the other songs on there. Now suppose they had taken that song out and replaced it with, say, Cross Of Thorns. Now THAT would have made the album even more killer.

blues scale
04-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Yes Tyr is my favorite Sabbath ,I love every song on it
I wear it out all the time

Echoes
04-26-2005, 11:00 AM
I actually like Battle of Tyr and Odin's Court. Can't imagine Valhalla with those two. My favourite part is when Tony is singing the line "riding the cold cold wings of Valhalla" and the music changes from mellow to intense in the middle. It hits me all the time.

Valhalla gets my vote.

Joe Siegler
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wings of Thunder? What is that?

Prezuiwf
06-10-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wings of Thunder? What is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows, probably would've made a cool song though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dioivanov
06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Wings of Thunder?

[/ QUOTE ]

is`n it from Tony Martin's new album "SCREAM" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif

Bob Bykowski
06-15-2005, 03:48 AM
Just can't agree on this one. The production is poor, the band sounds more like Queensryche than Sabbath, and the whole lyrical concept about Medieval lords-and-warriors gets cloudy and overdeveloped (or perhaps underdeveloped ?).
I like Sabbath the best when their lyrics warn against the forces of evil overtaking the world, religious hypocrisy, the madness of the military machine around the world ...you know, stuff like that.

Now, 'Cross Purposes' and 'The Eternal Idol'...those are EXCELLENT Tony Martin-era albums, in my opinion. Highly recommended.

Mob_Rules
06-15-2005, 08:16 AM
"Tyr" has grown on me more and more over the last month or so. It is still very Sabbath even if some think it sounds too 80's. It still has some power to it. "Anno Mundi" and "The Sabbath Stones" are pretty intense.

Prezuiwf
06-15-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the band sounds more like Queensryche than Sabbath

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if this is true then I am very eager to get into Queensryche...

Echoes
06-15-2005, 11:12 AM
It's probably one of my favourite Sabbath albums. I like almost every track in one way or another. The riffs are there, TM's got some killer vocals and the music has quite an atmosphere. Favourites are Anno Mundi, Jerusalem, Sabbath Stones and the Battle of Tyr/Odin's COurt/Valhalla trilogy. And I have a soft spot for Feels Good to Me, since I really like when bands attempt ballads in some form.

I was really impressed hearing this. I can only imagine the follow up that could have been had the lineup remained. Oh well...

On a personal note, it was hearing Valhalla for the first time that got me hooked on the Tony Martin era.

MarcStitz
06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
TYR has grown on me since I bought it. It's a great album, I mean I can listen all the songs on it with no skipping(including Battle of TYR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif), execpt Feels good to me, I can't get into this song.

Iommy
06-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Tyr is a great album!I love it!Favorite song:Jerusalem

dioivanov
06-19-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, great album!

IOMMI, It's commin... 23 june, BLACK SABBATH live in Bulgaria !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ashley Dalby
06-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I like TYR, my favourite song is Odin's Court/Valhalla. Aside from being able to play it, it is just an excellent slow bluesy song that quickly turns to a fast paced chugger. It is excellent to headbang to.

Rover
06-19-2005, 03:12 PM
This album became my absolute favourite. At first I liked Headless Cross more, but after listening to Tyr a few more times, it blew everything away for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It holds some of the most impressing music and lyrics I've ever stumbled into. Unfortunately, it's very underrated, and I think it wasn't received well commercially at the time it was released, which I believe was the reason for Iommi to dismiss Martin and Murray and attempt the first of the Reunions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TheWitness
07-07-2005, 09:04 PM
TYR...excellent album through and through...except "Feels Good to me"...feels like it should be on another album...like a Poison album.

Memory
07-08-2005, 07:13 AM
i havent listened to much of black sabbath after ozzy left it.

Neon Knight
07-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Then you should. The Dio era is awesome and the Martin era too (but it needs some time to get into it).

ErikMoreno
07-09-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then you should. The Dio era is awesome and the Martin era too (but it needs some time to get into it).

[/ QUOTE ]

more or less, to me it took the 19 seconds of the clips from CDNOW to dig Dio Era stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers

Neon Knight
07-10-2005, 05:11 AM
I meant the Martin era /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gray Mouser
07-17-2005, 07:32 AM
TYR is awesome

I make a habit of typing any latin I encounter in life into my search engine. if your engine is good enough, you'll be surprised what you get with "Anno Mundi". A trip

E5150
07-25-2005, 08:04 PM
I've loved Tyr since it first came out. My only complaints are that (1) it's a little short--could've used another song or two, and (2) there is way too much reverb in the mix--very boomy, even by the standards of the late '80s/early '90s. I would LOVE to hear a remix of this album done by Andy Sneap (producer of the latest Arch Enemy and Nevermore cds). He could do a right job with such great music.

But there isn't a single note of music that I would change on this album, even after 15 years or so of listening to it.

Prezuiwf
07-25-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've loved Tyr since it first came out. My only complaints are that (1) it's a little short--could've used another song or two, and (2) there is way too much reverb in the mix--very boomy, even by the standards of the late '80s/early '90s. I would LOVE to hear a remix of this album done by Andy Sneap (producer of the latest Arch Enemy and Nevermore cds). He could do a right job with such great music.

But there isn't a single note of music that I would change on this album, even after 15 years or so of listening to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, well said! And you're right, I always wished they had put more songs onto this album.

Echoes
07-26-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This album became my absolute favourite. At first I liked Headless Cross more, but after listening to Tyr a few more times, it blew everything away for me. It holds some of the most impressing music and lyrics I've ever stumbled into. Unfortunately, it's very underrated, and I think it wasn't received well commercially at the time it was released, which I believe was the reason for Iommi to dismiss Martin and Murray and attempt the first of the Reunions

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd...I understand if it was doing poorly in North America. But I heard it and the following tour were quite successful in Britain. Doesn't explain why it would merit switching lineups again. The end in America doesn't necessarily mean the end, period. Look at Queen in the 80s: theu lost the American market too, but carried on in other areas of the world.

Echoes
07-26-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I never had a problem with the production. EVen with the reverb, it creates this atmosphere that's really grown on me. I can't put it in words though.

Jericho
07-27-2005, 10:59 AM
In My Opinion, It's The Best Sabbath Album w/Tony besides "Eternal Idol"

Joe Siegler
07-29-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony Martin loves that song, too. He's said in interviews he was disappointed that it didn't get played on the Tyr tour.

He covered it on his 1992 solo album. Not a bad version, but then as he sang the original anyway, I wouldn't expect it to be a whole lot different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Echoes
07-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Jerusalem's one of my favourites too! Actually, since I found a used copy in stores, I've thought more and more that the entire album is great from beginning to end. There's not a weak track at all. I swear, I must have listened to it 8 times straight in a row.

IronMorgoth
08-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Awesome album, very underrated in my opinion.

Rover
08-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Well, Iommi thought that getting Dio back could get the band back up in charts and sales. But it was plain injustice towards Martin and Murray. And they dropped the Tyr songs from the setlist, and never got any of them back even on Forbidden tour (WHY?!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Only Anno Mundi slipped into the set for UK leg of Cross Purposes tour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I got the bootleg from the [in]famous Wolverhampton show (01-09-1990), and god it rocks! The rendition of Sabbath Stones just smokes even the studio version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif

Well, at least I can put on my headphones and listen to TSS for the umpteenth time...

TheWitness
08-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Anno Mundi to me is the second greatest song ever written (the 1st is Heaven and Hell). Jerusalem, The Sabbath Stones, The Battle of TYR/Odin's Court/Valhalla and Heaven in Black are also amazing songs.

Angie
09-02-2005, 11:57 PM
i heard this cd for the first time tonight and love it. i am 32 and never heard it before. i had to find this message board tonight as well.

Rover
09-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Welcome! Stay and enjoy the music.
God, when/if I get my own band together (or join some band over here), I'm gonna cover half of TYR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Angie
09-03-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome! Stay and enjoy the music.
God, when/if I get my own band together (or join some band over here), I'm gonna cover half of TYR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I will.
Good luck with getting a band together.

Echoes
09-03-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God, when/if I get my own band together (or join some band over here), I'm gonna cover half of TYR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you ever consider touring Canada when you get you nad together? I'd be more than willing to hear TYR live.

Rover
09-04-2005, 03:29 AM
If I do, yeah we'll try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I got a feeling I'd have to choose career over dabbling into music, unfortunately.

*ahem*

Elric
10-01-2005, 08:58 AM
The only complaint I have about TYR is that Cozy Powell has never (in my opinion anyway) been a good drummer and it sounds like he was only there for the paycheck on some of the songs. Same with Headless Cross.
Maybe Tony I could take a page from Ozzy's book and redo the album with Bill Ward or someone more competant.
Don't get me wrong I love the album and Anno Mundi and Heaven In Black are two of my favorite Sabbath songs.
I just don't like Cozy Powell's drumming.

Echoes
10-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Remember Elric, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Cozy's drumming is fine to me. Can't imagine it any other way.

Mob_Rules
10-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Personally I like the drumming but I respect anyone's opinon, especially coming from a Steelers fan. ;-)

Razzle
10-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Replace the drumming!! are you mad?? Not only did Cozy play drums on this fine album but he co produced it and as he is no longer with us this would be a horrible thing to do!!
Cozy Powell was a fine drummer, and he has a unbeatable CV to prove it, now wash your mouth out with soap and water!!

Nibby
10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Tyr and Cross Purposes is the best albums from the "Martin-era". This is maybe the most melodic album ever under the name Black Sabbath, and even if I'm not a fan of melodic band like Iron Maiden, I really appriciate the music on this album. Anno Mundi is the best track IMO. The Sabbath Stones, Jerusalem and Valhalla are also good. Martin's voice is more "mature" on this album than on HC and TEI. But something that I wanna complain about is that there are to much keyboards. They take to much room, and it's Iommi who has to pay for it. For example, Anno Mundi has a awesome riff, but thanx to the keyboards it doesn't hit yo like it would.

Cozy Powells drumming is OK. I liked his sound more on HC, but he's good here to. His no drumming-God, but a good drummer.

Rover
10-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm fine with more keyboards than on the "classic" albums, because I knew Purple before Sabbath, and I'm accustomed to a sound where guitar and keyboards are nearly equal. TYR is still #1 on my list of best Sabbath albums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cozy Powell was great, especially when playing with his old mate Neil Murray. This rhythm section is as fabulous as the Butler-Ward one.

Elric
10-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Cozy Powell as good as Bill Ward ?!? Well, like my Steeler fan bro said I will repect your opinion but I got to tell you I almost fell off of my chair when I read that.
Probably like some others did when they read what I wrote about C.P.

Psycho Man
10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I haven't heard many songs with Cozy but it is hard to compare musicians cause their styles vary

El Lobo
10-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Cozy and Bill are so different that they cannot be compared. I mean, who's better, Mozart or Pavarotti?

Bill is more of an old time drummer, some kind of jazzy. Cozzy, on the other hand was a powerhouse double bass drummer.

I prefer myself Cozy, specially his work in Rainbow and Emerson, Lake and Powell, but they are incomparable.

LaughingMan
10-06-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cozy Powell has never (in my opinion anyway) been a good drummer

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nelson.gif

LaughingMan
10-06-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tyr and Cross Purposes is the best albums from the "Martin-era".

[/ QUOTE ]

No they aren't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Eternal Idol is miles better. Even Geezer can't resurrect Cross Purposes.

LaughingMan
10-06-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cozy Powell as good as Bill Ward ?!? Well, like my Steeler fan bro said I will repect your opinion but I got to tell you I almost fell off of my chair when I read that.
Probably like some others did when they read what I wrote about C.P.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet your life!

Rover
10-07-2005, 03:21 AM
Cozy Powell wasn't so highly sought after for nothing. Last I remember, Classic Rock placed him on #9 of the Top 50 Drummers, whereas Bill Ward was only #16 (if you care, Ian Paice was on #8 and John Bonham went to the top). First and foremost, Cozy was famous for his drumming in Rainbow, and for a good reason, and continued well in other bands. One word: Rising.

Neon Knight
10-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Rising is a good word. Listen to his drumming on this album and you will change your opinion. His drumming is awesome on this album and is one of the highlights.

Elric
10-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Yea thats a good one. Heres a few more

http://www.cozypowell.com/discography.html

Raven Rider
10-24-2005, 06:38 AM
I have not decided which song i like best from this album, i have heard twice a day in two weeks, and still can't decide, not even got sick of listen to it over and over again for so long.

Gray Mouser
10-24-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No they aren't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Eternal Idol is miles better. Even Geezer can't resurrect Cross Purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really liked Cross purposes. But your thoughts on Eternal Idol tells me I must find this record emediately.

Petoria000
10-24-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really liked Cross purposes. But your thoughts on Eternal Idol tells me I must find this record emediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cross purposes is nothing like The Eternal Idol.

Nibby
10-24-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cross purposes is nothing like The Eternal Idol.

[/ QUOTE ]

And thank God for that. Cross Purposess is an amazing album with crushing riffs, good lyrics and vocals, great bass, desent drumming. The Eternal Idol is meh... nice.

I'm a little sarkastic, but I do prefer CP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

UnderTheSun
10-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Maybe I'm just stupide, but this is my least favourite Black Sabbath CD. This was the first record I got with Martins and when I heard Anno Mundi for the first time... It did dissepoint, the "superriff" went on, but i felt nothing, it's just boring, nothing really happends! The only track i found was worth listening was Jerusalem and maybe, maybe Heaven in Black.

Gray Mouser
10-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Not trying to convert anyone, but my favorite song off TYR is:......... The Sabbath Stones
followed by: Feels Good To Me

Underthesun, you are correct. It's not an album to mosh to or nothing, but it is a tribute to an myth that I became awaire of from playing D&D and when this album came out, I snatched it up and internalized it emediately.

Boring could be a description, but I'd rather say it's good for playing loud enough, but just enough to relax and maybe end the evening and go to sleep on.

Don't get me wrong. I like the thickest metal Also, but I find TYR helps me get into a good mood and sweep away bad emotions I receive from the death metal and Black metal of my youth. I love all metal and give TYR an above avereage rating for being comforting in a world of thorns.

Super-riff? super-smooth.

Gray Mouser
10-25-2005, 09:04 AM
My newest addition is the infamous Headless Cross. Another album with a love or hate relationship. I'm actually likeing it more for having a little more grit. But I understand that the 'fantasy horror' lyrics turn off some listeners.

(fantasy-horror):Slayers self descrition of their own lyrics.

UnderTheSun
10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Personlay I think HC is way much better than TYR. I like every song at Headless, I don't know why. It's just, Headless got so powerful songs, When death Calls, Spirit Kill, Devil and Daughther... I líke them all, TYR never gave me any creeps such as HC, I don't know why but I just feel that way

Elric
10-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Great user name Grey Mouser! I love the writings of Fritz Leiber. I'm also into D&d and albums like TYR and Headless Cross become two of my favorites because I get tired of the "sex, drugs & Rock n Roll" and the "Life sucks I want to die" lyrics that make up the majority of rock/metal.
Its also one of the reasons(Geezers lyrics/Tony's playing) that Black Sabbath became one of my favorite groups in the first place.

Ray Rules
10-25-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm a little late, but... re-record Cozy Powel drums sounds just like Ozz do with Lee Kerkeslee and Bob Daisley in his two first cd's.. I love Ozzy, but he fuck up doying this... and man, C'mon, Cozy is a real fine drummer

But about Tyr... hm... that's my very first Tony Martin cd, and I love it. Dude, Tony Martin have a damn killer voice here... maybe that's the reason he fuck up his voice.. imagine that man

Step up and learn/record in 8 days the entire EI album, with that extreme Ray's high notes ( God bless you, buddy ), then tour for it.. in 89 record Headless Cross, whitch have tons of high and endless notes, and then tour for it, in that Headless In Russia situation, playing two gigs in a day, and then record TYR in 90, and tour for it, playing 2 hours shows.. Tony Martin sang in 3 years everyting that Ozzy sang in 30 man

Rover
10-26-2005, 07:46 AM
I have listened to some of TYR (first four tracks) today early in the morning before leaving for work, and I thought that TYR is the only Sabbath album that creates a good feeling. It isn't "quasi-satanistic" like HC, nor mind-crushing like Dehumanizer, nor bluesy like Seventh Star, nor social-driven like Cross Purposes. Anno Mundi even ends with a "happy end" of sorts: "No longer the fool, the vision is done", and "Feels Good to Me"... Well, while it's definitely out-of-place, I can see what made the Tonys include it here... (although Anno Mundi probably would have made a better single and video /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

El Lobo
10-26-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought that TYR is the only Sabbath album that creates a good feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the Sabbath album that I listen to when I'm in a good mood.

Actually the 5 Martin albums are very different in style and mood :

EI: A very melodic album. Sometimes VERY dark (EI).

HC: A tongue-in-cheek quasi-satanic album with great power melodies. Maybe Sabbath's only concept album ever?

Tyr: A variety of themes, but with the central mythology trilogy. A "feel good" feeling in it.

CP - Very social oriented themes. About religion, child murders, religious wars, fanatics. A dark feeling to it.

Forbidden: Horrible produccion but not as bad as people says. It has a mood of "decadence and pollution" to it tnat makes it... hmmm... strange.

Love every single of them :-)

Joe Siegler
10-26-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
HC: A tongue-in-cheek quasi-satanic album with great power melodies. Maybe Sabbath's only concept album ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. Tyr was supposed to be a concept album.

aijommi
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a concept album like Pink Floyd's The Wall? Sorry for bad English.

Joe Siegler
10-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Correct. Or Dio's Magica. Granted the Sabbath guys at the time said it wasn't the strongest concept album, but it's sort of supposed to be.

I just shot off an email to Neil Murray and asked him about the Tyr concept album thing, just to make sure I wasn't remembering somthing incorrectly. Will get back if I hear something from him on that.

aijommi
10-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Ok, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Prezuiwf
10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
I agree that Tyr is great to listen to in a good mood-- I usually listen to it when something great happens and I am just ecstatic (though, of course, I listen to it on normal days as well).

However, the best "good mood" Sabbath album to me is Never Say Die. Every song is fantastic and upbeat, it always puts me in a better mood than I was in before listening to it.

aijommi
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Tyr is great to listen to in a good mood-- I usually listen to it when something great happens and I am just ecstatic (though, of course, I listen to it on normal days as well).

However, the best "good mood" Sabbath album to me is Never Say Die. Every song is fantastic and upbeat, it always puts me in a better mood than I was in before listening to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't upbeat stand for cheery? At least Air Dance isn't cheery...

Razzle
10-26-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this with Sabotage's Hole In The Sky.

Prezuiwf
10-26-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't upbeat stand for cheery? At least Air Dance isn't cheery...

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose upbeat can mean cheery but that's not exactly what I was going for. I know the subject matter of the lyrics in "Air Dance" is a bit depressing but the song itself is not very dark at all.

aijommi
10-26-2005, 02:13 PM
As you see, English is not my native language...

Prezuiwf
10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As you see, English is not my native language...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you're not wrong, really. Upbeat DOES generally mean cheery, I just kinda use them in a much different sense. To me, an album like Never Say Die is upbeat, an album by the Osmonds might be considered cheery.

aijommi
10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rover
10-27-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But it wasn't. Just one song on a "theme", although an epic one with its intros for some reason separated from it, isn't enough for a "concept". I bet that if it hadn't been called "TYR" in the end, no one would speculate about the concept. But the band needed a short catchy name that rhymes with "Beer". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HC does seem conceptual to me. Not because it has a storyline like Dio's Magica (it doesn't), but because all songs are dealing with the Old Nick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Siegler
10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
I got a response from Neil Murray to the "Tyr is conceptual" issue. I was wrong.

Here's what I asked Neil, followed by his reply.

> Hey Neil..
>
> I seem to recall hearing something at the time Tyr was new that it was supposed to be a quasi-concept album.
>
> Am I remembering that right, or am I way off base here?

Hi Joe,

Because we'd got a lot of criticism for the lyrics on Headless Cross being too much about the Devil, Tony Martin decided to get inspiration from Norse mythology for some of the songs on Tyr. It ended up that those songs, The Battle of Tyr, Odin's Court and Valhalla, were really just parts of one long track, which maybe had a 'concept' to them, but the rest of the tracks had nothing to do with the Norse theme, and there isn't really any concept to the album, it's just a bunch of songs.

Neil

Prezuiwf
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow, now that is a startling relevation. All this time I thought Tyr was a concept album!

Now all I need to know is whether or not Dehumanizer was supposed to be a concept album...

Elric
10-28-2005, 01:30 AM
Sure fooled me. The only songs that Do not seem conected (IMO) are Jerusalem, Feels Good To Me and Heavan In Black.
But, Oh well, he was in the band he would know.

Ray Rules
10-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Feels Good To Me.. I was listening to that song yesterday, when I was too drunk, and I fall in love for it. Martin sang pretty good in it..

Petoria000
10-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I really like Feels Good To Me. Radio-friendly or not it kicks ass.

Echoes
10-28-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree wholeheartedly!

Ray Rules
10-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah, you said it all man. I love TYR.. it was the first Martin fase I've listen. I remember that listen to it first 'cause it have a strange name.. hauhau

By the way, I upload a video to you know where, if you people know what I mean.. It's a Ray video, worth the check! =p

aijommi
10-28-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with radio-friendly songs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif No Stranger To Love is my third favourite track from Seventh Star!

Joe Siegler
10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with radio-friendly songs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. It's not what most people would consider "Black Sabbath". Listen to Wheels of Confusion, St Vitus Dance, things from back then. Compare it to No Stranger & Feels good, and tell it sounds like the same band.

Now don't misinterpret me. I love No Stranger & Feels good. But that is why most people don't like radio friendly, because it implies bands are writing a song they wouldn't normally write just to get it on the radio.

Ray Rules
10-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah, and that sux. That's why bands write balads. I play in a Bruce Dickinson Solo cover band, and man, we do a 90 minutes set, and when we open with Road To hell, people use to start to yell "Play tears of the dragon"

UnderTheSun
01-01-2006, 12:58 PM
I take back everything I said about TYR now. I gave it another try and now I'm in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Better late than never.

Echoes
01-01-2006, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I take back everything I said about TYR now. I gave it another try and now I'm in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Better late than never.

[/ QUOTE ]

understhesun, welcome to the club. If there's anything I've learned the last 4 years, it's that sometimes good music takes more than one listen to get into. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Petoria000
01-01-2006, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with radio-friendly songs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. It's not what most people would consider "Black Sabbath". Listen to Wheels of Confusion, St Vitus Dance, things from back then. Compare it to No Stranger & Feels good, and tell it sounds like the same band.

Now don't misinterpret me. I love No Stranger & Feels good. But that is why most people don't like radio friendly, because it implies bands are writing a song they wouldn't normally write just to get it on the radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

What youre saying is right, but just to add something, I think "St Vitus' Dance" was a little radio friendly for them at the time too.

Raven Rider
01-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Yeah, i remember i borrowed this album a few months, i listened to the whole album twice a day in 4 weeks before i had to give it back.
Some people get tired of doing same things often for a while, but when it comes to TYR, i have never got tired, nor for any Sabbath albums

Gus
01-23-2006, 09:25 PM
TYR is a great album very different from the other albums,i think!Of course,the trilogy of BATTLE OF TYR,ODIN'S COURT and VALHALLA are my fave's one!When i'm in the mood for it,i enjoy the whole album very much,like yesterday!It was playing in my headphone at maximum volume...A song that i rediscovered is FEELS GOOD TO ME with the beautiful singing of TONY MARTIN cos it is very emotional! It seems like the story of the song arrived for him personally with the manner that he sings!WONDERFUL...ANNO MUNDY is very superb too,for sure! A very good job on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif

Nightwinger
01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Honestly out of the whole TYR album I really enjoy the songs "The Battle of TYR/Odin's Court & Valhala, to me Valhala really seems to stand out the most, running with "Feels Good to Me" dunno anyone in here likes "Feels Good to Me"???

David86
01-23-2006, 11:23 PM
^I love it

aijommi
01-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Same here, and I love the radio-friendly lyrics!

Rover
01-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Feels Good to Me really makes me feel good! It's a ballad for sure, but nothing close to those "you left me, I'm gonna kill myself" type ballads that are supposed to wring tears outta people. "But it matters no more, since I've found out the truth, and it feels good to me..." A great Sabbath song, and now all the Iron Man fans out there may try to kill me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oh, they aren't reading this board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ashley Dalby
01-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Personally I love "Feels Good To Me", one of Sabbath's better ballads and not just because TM sings it but because it was different from Sabbath. When I first heard it I thought Iommi actually pulled off sounding like David Gilmour there on the beginning solo. Your right it wasnt the sappy girly "you left me so now I am depressed" lyrics. In all honesty I am STILL not quite sure what TM is talking about in the song EXACTLY.

Prezuiwf
01-24-2006, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty I am STILL not quite sure what TM is talking about in the song EXACTLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either. It's a very open-ended song, which only adds to its greatness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David86
01-24-2006, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty I am STILL not quite sure what TM is talking about in the song EXACTLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the writing says many things, but who was concerned??

<_<

Ray Rules
01-24-2006, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering... She's Gone could be a radio-friendly song?

Psycho Man
01-24-2006, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sabbath doesn't curse exvept for Digital Bitch, there is no excuse for not playing the greatest band ever except for having wax

aijommi
01-25-2006, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sabbath doesn't curse exvept for Digital Bitch, there is no excuse for not playing the greatest band ever except for having wax

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty As Hell from Fordibben has the word "fuck" in it.