PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Headless Cross?

Mob_Rules
04-22-2005, 10:00 PM
The reason I am asking this is because I get so many different opinions on this album. For me, it took some getting into, but I am digging it more and more. I think the reason I was a little turned off by it at first was the 80's sound and thick keyboards on it. The riffs and the singing is killer though. Just wish t wasn't so polished.

Van Helsing
04-22-2005, 11:54 PM
I think it is a classic. This album to me is where Tony Martin really made his mark with Sabbath. The vocal range of Tony M. is absolutely amazing on this album. I think the reason for this is because he gets to sing the songs in which he had a hand in writing the vocals for. I think he was restrained somewhat in the previous album, because the songs were written for Gillen and his voice. Anyway, i just think it has the ultimate singer and who can forget the riffs that Sir Tony Iommi came up with on this record. This is one of those rare albums in which i like every song on it. Seriously, there is not one song on this album that i don't like. As for the lyrics, they really don't bother me that much. I've heard much worse as far as satanic goes on death metal albums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

El Lobo
04-23-2005, 02:27 AM
An absolutely classic. I have already stated my opinions about this album here:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/ubbthreads/...=true#Post15528 (http://www.black-sabbath.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=tonymartin&Number=15528&Searchpage=3&Main=15510&Words=El+Lobo&topic=&Search=true#Post15528)

I also remember reading sometime ago that "When death calls" made the number 9 in some list about the best metal songs ever in Japan. Not that this mean anything but anyway. And if the album was good, I dare say that the HC tour was even better. I saw Sabbath twice in Leningrad, Russia and I was blown away by the power of Mr. Martin's voice at that time. The setlist was awesome, he even sang some odd forgotten songs and Cozy was great.

For me, Black Sabbath MEANS Headless Cross.

Nibby
04-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Well, first late me say that I'm not so very fond of Tony Martin's voice. I think he has one of those voices that you either love ore hate, just like Ozzy's, for example. I love it, but many people HATES it. Anyway... Martin's voice is very flat (IMO) and a bit booring, although I admit that he has a fantastic range... But to me range isn't everything (I can say that I hate Bruce Dickinson's voice, and he has awsome range, too). Tony Marytin has a very "rispie" voice. I don't really know how to desribe it...When Martin sing's high notes like "At the Heeeeeeadless Croooooss" ore "Spritit of man can not be freeeeeeeeed" Iäm just waiting for his voice to "crack" and come out clean and sharp like Dio's ore something. But his voice sound better here that on Eternal Idol, where he sometimes sound like a woman. The only record on wich he sound good ore OK on is IMO Cross Purposess, where he sound very mature.

Headless Cross have some good tracks, although it sounds more like NWOBHM than Black Sabbath (Many of you may allready know that I don't consider Black Sabbath after Born Again to be REAL Black sabbath, but that's another story). My favourites are When Death Calls and Black Moon. These I good malodies and I especially like the chorus on Black Moon ("I see a blck moon rising..."). But most of the songs are TO melodic and sometimes nearly sound like power metal (wich I hate). The keybords, Martin's voice and Martin's CHEEEEEEESY lyrics contribute to me not liking this record that much.
Headless Cross is maby an OK metal/NWOBHM record, but if you wanna to compare it to masterpices like Master of Reality, Sabotage ore Born Again, it's quite bad. And I do consider this more like a Iommi solo record, then a Black Sabbath record.

I voted for "overrated". Although it's not overrated by the general public (like Paranoid, for example), it's overrated by those who like it. This is of course only my humble opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

WDIV
04-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Classic Sabbath album, no doubt. The title track is one of the best songs of the Martin era & the rest of the album is solid. My constructive criticism is that the second half of the album doesn't quite hold up to the first half, and the album sounds slightly more dated than do the other BS albums. But yes, a classic, no doubt.

Icy Sun
04-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Overrated. I think it's the worst of the Tony Martin era albums.

Futureal
04-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I just listened to it earlier, and it's growing on me a lot. Nothing groundbreaking, just another good Sabbath album... but I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Neon Knight
04-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Its a classic Album but I would consider it as a bit overrated too (tough I voted for Classic). When Death Calls and Headless Cross are awesome songs.

Nightmare
04-25-2005, 10:49 AM
A Classic. I think this is best Tony Martin Sabbath album. Not a weak track on the whole album.

Dio
04-29-2005, 05:01 AM
I'd vote but you left out the 'biggest piece of crap ever sloped onto a piece of plastic' option

renbergs
04-29-2005, 05:54 AM
One of the top 5 Sabbath albums in my opinion!

RF
04-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Yep, I like it too, lyrics are a bit naff in hindsight but a good album none the less. Also really like the concerts from this ers.

RF

Neon Knight
04-29-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd vote but you left out the 'biggest piece of crap ever sloped onto a piece of plastic' option

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont know what you miss with this fine "peice of crap" Album /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Moonchild
04-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Headless Cross was my first Sabbath album I could call my own and I loved it at first, especialy Nightwing.
However its rather diffrent these-days, I find it doesn't have the same inpact on me like my first listenings of the album.
Its certainly a good album but seems out of place between Dehumanizer and Bruce Dickinson's 'Accident Of Birth' album on my shelf.

RF
04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Its certainly a good album but seems out of place between Dehumanizer and Bruce Dickinson's 'Accident Of Birth' album on my shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move it then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RF

David86
04-29-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a classic. This album to me is where Tony Martin really made his mark with Sabbath. The vocal range of Tony M. is absolutely amazing on this album. I think the reason for this is because he gets to sing the songs in which he had a hand in writing the vocals for. I think he was restrained somewhat in the previous album, because the songs were written for Gillen and his voice. Anyway, i just think it has the ultimate singer and who can forget the riffs that Sir Tony Iommi came up with on this record. This is one of those rare albums in which i like every song on it. Seriously, there is not one song on this album that i don't like. As for the lyrics, they really don't bother me that much. I've heard much worse as far as satanic goes on death metal albums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Moonchild
04-30-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RF

[/ QUOTE ]I have having noticed its not actually supposed to be there(I keep my collection in order)...now its in between Never Say Die and Dehumanizer.

RF
04-30-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RF

[/ QUOTE ]I have having noticed its not actually supposed to be there(I keep my collection in order)...now its in between Never Say Die and Dehumanizer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it will sound better now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RF

NeonKnight83
05-01-2005, 05:34 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nothing to ad here, Pal!

HC just ROOOOOOOOOOCKS!

(BTW: It was the first Album of BS I've ever heard!)

Psychophobia
05-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Where's the option for "Worst Sabbath Album Ever?" I could never get into that album. A few good solos, and a great performance by Tony Martin. But it was like The Eternal Idol, without any real riffs! If it hadn't been for the star power of that lineup, with Cozy in the band, I figure they would've collapsed under a heap of hair metal cliches. So 80s, it's just unlistenable for me.

El Lobo
05-04-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I figure they would've collapsed under a heap of hair metal cliches. So 80s, it's just unlistenable for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know what hair metal is, do you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

renbergs
05-04-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it hadn't been for the star power of that lineup, with Cozy in the band, I figure they would've collapsed under a heap of hair metal cliches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pleeeeaaase! You can't seriously mix Sabbath up with those american boy-pop-bands who disguised themselves with a lot of styled hair and leather to try to like heavy metal bands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The fact that it later turned out that Martin on his solo album was a "soft" pop guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif didn't affect his performance in Sabbath, nor before or after his solo album!

In Sabbath he was great IMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif His solo album /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif well, I have it just because he's a former Sab! Don't think I've listened to it since 1997 or so... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dio
05-04-2005, 08:09 AM
I tend to agree with Psychophobia on this one - at least Warrant never took themselves seriously.....

This album is one of the most cliched and unoriginal 'metal' albums I can recall. The performances on the record are not great - please tell me one second of this album that is better than anything on the first 6 Sabbath albums.... Better drumming...no.... better bass.....no...... better riffs.....hell no...... better lyrics..... try again. Better production...no - its flat as a tack. Where is it better?? Ok - the artwork is marginally better than Paranoid.... actually, nah... it's not.

I left out vocals and songwriting as they are subjective and I can understand how people prefer Tony Martin to Ozzy but even this is not enough to justify the love of HC. Personally I think Tony stinks it up on this record - he sung much better on Forbidden and TYR than this.

Neon Knight
05-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I think you never "really" listened to this album.

Nibby
05-04-2005, 10:11 AM
What is all this bullshit about "hair-metal". This album is NOT hair metal!! Hear metal is Motley Crue and stuff like that. This is more like power metal ore NWOBHM (although it's not that either, but it has more in common with those two styles). I don't think this is such a great album, but it's denfenently not hair metal!!!
BTW - I can understand that people who like Iron Maiden and stuff like that, like this album.

Psychophobia
05-05-2005, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that it later turned out that Martin on his solo album was a "soft" pop guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif didn't affect his performance in Sabbath, nor before or after his solo album!

[/ QUOTE ]
That wasn't what I was implying at all, but anyhow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I don't like Headless Cross for the same reasons I don't like Motley Crue, The Police, Duran Duran, Warrant, or The Men Without Hats: I find the music basic, shallow, and trendy. It sounds horrendously dated. I hate that 80s production sound, especially the drums.

Sabbath's worst tunes, IMO, came from when they grew dependent on their association with cheesy themes and imagery - the devil crap, 'evil' themes, etc. This sort of thing gave Born Again a bit of a camp feel (I enjoyed that record), but on Headless Cross, it was just completely over the top. I don't want that dungeons and dragons crap in my music. The first time I heard the title cut, I could barely hold my laughter, especially when I saw the video! And it only got worse from there, for me...

I like the rest of the Martin era, just not that album.

El Lobo
05-05-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
especially when I saw the video!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the video is bad, but believe me, there are other that are a *lot* worse: "Feels good to me", now **THAT** was a cheesy video. "No stranger to love" was also worse, I remember me falling on my ass laughting when I first saw it. But hey, no video EVER is worse than "Holly diver". That gets the prize :-)

Futureal
05-05-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That wasn't what I was implying at all, but anyhow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I don't like Headless Cross for the same reasons I don't like Motley Crue, The Police, Duran Duran, Warrant, or The Men Without Hats: I find the music basic, shallow, and trendy. It sounds horrendously dated. I hate that 80s production sound, especially the drums.

Sabbath's worst tunes, IMO, came from when they grew dependent on their association with cheesy themes and imagery - the devil crap, 'evil' themes, etc. This sort of thing gave Born Again a bit of a camp feel (I enjoyed that record), but on Headless Cross, it was just completely over the top. I don't want that dungeons and dragons crap in my music. The first time I heard the title cut, I could barely hold my laughter, especially when I saw the video! And it only got worse from there, for me...

I like the rest of the Martin era, just not that album.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean. I used to burst into fits of laughter every time I heard the song "Headless Cross". And yes, the lyrics and themes are as cheesey as your average Manowar song. However, that's part of the reason why I like Headless Cross. I enjoy listening to the cheesiness of the album, and I think the music's pretty good as well. It may be bog-standard metahhhl cheese, but it's a fine cheese. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Leonid
05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Love the album. It's pretty dark. I wish it was heavier though. I don't see/hear any cheese in there. Some put it in the same line with Motley Crue. Come on. Give me a break. I don't hear any hair metal crap in there. The lyrics is normal metal lyrics which goes well with music. The lyrics might not be that original, but well, Black Sabbath were one of the first who started that kinda thing anyway. Would Venom or Bathory be considered cheese as well?

As far as Headless Cross clip goes. I happen to like it. What I don't like is Tony Martin stage presense in that clip. I think his too much shaking is fake. But other than that it's pretty good.

As far as Feels Good To Me clip goes. I agree. This is pure cheese. And I don't even understand what Black Sabbath wanted to say in that clip.

--Leonid

renbergs
05-06-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think you were implying that! It was just a personal remark from me considering the "hair-metal" twist! To show that the same person can be heavy metal in one band and hair-metal (or soul for that matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) going solo or in another band!

Icarus
05-06-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with Psychophobia on this one - at least Warrant never took themselves seriously.....

This album is one of the most cliched and unoriginal 'metal' albums I can recall. The performances on the record are not great - please tell me one second of this album that is better than anything on the first 6 Sabbath albums.... Better drumming...no.... better bass.....no...... better riffs.....hell no...... better lyrics..... try again. Better production...no - its flat as a tack. Where is it better?? Ok - the artwork is marginally better than Paranoid.... actually, nah... it's not.

I left out vocals and songwriting as they are subjective and I can understand how people prefer Tony Martin to Ozzy but even this is not enough to justify the love of HC. Personally I think Tony stinks it up on this record - he sung much better on Forbidden and TYR than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree one zillion percent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Neon Knight
05-07-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think you were implying that! It was just a personal remark from me considering the "hair-metal" twist! To show that the same person can be heavy metal in one band and hair-metal (or soul for that matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) going solo or in another band!

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see a problem in that. Glenn Hughes changed his style after Purple much and no one complained about it. This is one thing I dont like about the Metal scene. If you make an Album or project which is pop you gonna get tossed by everyone.

Dio
05-07-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would Venom or Bathory be considered cheese as well?

--Leonid

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know you are taking the piss.... Venom INVENTED cheese!

renbergs
05-08-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see a problem in that. Glenn Hughes changed his style after Purple much and no one complained about it. This is one thing I dont like about the Metal scene. If you make an Album or project which is pop you gonna get tossed by everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do I! I don't see a problem with artists changing styles and directions! Sometimes a change of style can make you disappointed because you were expecting a certain kind of music and got another one, but it can also be the opposite and be a positive surprise! But both the potential disappointment or positive surprise is the listeners own subjectiv valuation of what he/she is hearing! I like when artists "dare" to do things different! I liked Sabbath's attempt with Ice-T on "Illusion of Power", even though I don't like the result that much!

drumdoggy
05-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Headless Cross is a great album from the "Martin" era. I thought Iommi's riffs were nothing less of extraordinary, and Cozy Powell's drumming was as powerful as ever! IMHO, Headless Cross is as classic as any Ozzy/Dio Sabbath releases.

Just my 2 cents...

Leonid
05-09-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I know you are taking the piss.... Venom INVENTED cheese!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this were the case, their cheese was too bitter... goatcheese....

--Leonid

Ashley Dalby
05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I would say Headless Cross is the best album Sabbath has done since Mob Rules. It was the most Sabbath evident by the return of the death-and-horror that made Sabbath simply SABBATH. It also contained atleast in my opinion the most versatile and extravogent guitar work(both riffs and solos) and the best percussion tracks the band has known. This is the tightest, meatiest, thickest bunch of material since the 1980 Dio debut.

I would like to say that this is my personal favourite Sabbath album cause it was the first LP I ever bought. The album cover was the deciding factor. I would say this and Mob Rules, and Live Evil are the 3 best album covers.

So with all the elements clicking and an astonishing performance by 5 men working together as a team for the first time in years, how could this album fail?

Raido stations abandoning talent for the top dollar.

HEADLESS CROSS IS SABBATHS BEST ALBUM.

"NIGHTWING FLIES AGAIN"

El Lobo
05-09-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

HEADLESS CROSS IS SABBATHS BEST ALBUM.

"NIGHTWING FLIES AGAIN"

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, please, Marry me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Leonid
05-09-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say Headless Cross is the best album Sabbath has done since Mob Rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definitely disagree with this one. IMO, nothing beats Born Again. But I would place Headless Cross above Heaven And Hell and maybe above Mob Rules. Well, I'm not a big Heaven And Hell fan anyway so it's not hard.

[ QUOTE ]
Raido stations abandoning talent for the top dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. In 1989 I lived in the USSR and as far as I know Headless Cross was #1 amongst the readers of Metal Hammer and Kerrang! sharing the first place with either Metallica - Justice or Iron Maiden - 7th Son( I don't remember which band it was). So it was received very well in Europe. But I have no clue how it was received in US.

--Leonid

DarthKur
05-09-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the lyrics, they really don't bother me that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell would they bother you at all? The return to their dark roots is a big reason why I like this album so much. \m/

Greenstang
05-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Maybe the best sabbath album.
An album with a attitude, top musicians, hey i listen it since 1989!!!
It must be a classic. no weak track
For those who like tat album, get giuntini project 2, youll be blown away by it.
Michel

michalis
05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
What can I say?I adore this album,and I can't find a song that I don't like in it..The lyrics and the music are extraordinary and they contain what a band true to itself should contain,plus you can see that Iommi matured his guitar work even more from the Eternal Idol years..Anyway,I'm not gonna put myself (or my words for that matter) if it's classic Sabbath or not (cause the only classic Sabbath is the original line-up),I'm just gonna say that it's one of the albums that I hold dear to my heart..The same goes with everything else Black Sabbath ever released,no matter who the vocalist was..

Bob Bykowski
06-15-2005, 03:19 PM
The music is fine, but the quasi-Satanic lyrics are silly and repetitive and, in my opinion, sink the album. As I have said elsewhere, Sabbath's lyrics, for me, are much more interesting and substantive when they concentrate on things like religious hypocrisy, the evil, corrupt power of political leaders, people not willing to understand one another, why God doesn't provide immediate answers to our problems and our relationships with one another, etc.. But on 'Headless Cross', it almost seems like Tony Martin sat down with the band in a meeting and said something like "OK...Sabbath is REALLY in need of a hit album. Since most people, excluding hard-core fans, think we're a bunch of devil worshippers and a lot of heavy-metal kids think that's so neat, why don't we give 'em what they want with an album that has a bunch of songs about Satan or the Devil returning to the world and reclaiming souls. Wouldn't that be scary and cool ???!!!...". And I can see Tony Iommi, realizing that Sabbath was then at their commercial nadir, reluctantly nodding his head and going along with it. That's why I don't like the album --- it seems totally calculated and forced. And while the music is OK, it does rely on keyboards for atmosphere a little too much for my taste.

As far as I'm concerned, there's two pretty great Tony Martin-era albums ('The Eternal Idol' and 'Cross Purposes'), one that's just OK ('Forbidden'), and as for the other two....well, the less said the better !

Iommy
06-18-2005, 08:26 AM
A mighty album,with great instrumental & vocal performances!.Probably the best Sabbath album with T.Martin!

Rover
06-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Musically it's just great, but gets a bit boring lyrically after several times, because all songs are about the Devil in one way or another. However, some of the tracks from HC became my all-time Sabbath favourites - Black Moon, Nightwing and especially Call of the Wild.

Abyss
06-22-2005, 11:42 PM
It's one of the better Martin albums. Guitar sound is a tad too clean, and the keyboards are too high in the mix for my taste. Martin himself... eh, I'm just not a fan of his voice. But Iommi is in top form, and two of the songs — "When Death Calls" and "Nightwing" — are undeniably great. Headless Cross is a good listen on those occasions I don't feel like hearing one of the Ozzy or Dio albums for the millionth time.

Mauricio
06-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Great album followed by a fantastic tour with awesome live performances! Sometimes I think about the music we would have now if the band was still the same since 1989 tour:

Tony Martin
Tony Iommi
Neil Murray
Cozy Powell
Geoff Nicholls

"I witness a dream, just a dream..."

David86
06-23-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I witness a dream, just a dream..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JEFFMETAL
06-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Can anyone tell me the real sources of the lyrics to Headless Cross,from interviews with the band or some faithful sources,'cos even being about demons and heaven and hell and this type of traditional metal themes,there are stories of warriors(Call of the wild) and folclore i guess(Nightwing).Anyway,if someone got this sources,i would be very pleased to konw about and talking about the music,THIS ALBUM IS FUCKING HEAVY!GLAM METAL MY ASS!SABBATH RULES!

IRON MAN
06-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Cracking album

Ray Rules
06-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Well, El Lobo, you beat me mand.. I used to piss in Tony Martin name in the past, but after that Black Sabbath, I ask for sorry.. and now I listen Headless Cross, and I'm in love.. man, Tony kick skulls in When Death Calls!

El Lobo
06-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Hello Ray!

You've seen the light man :-)

What is incredible is the amount of people who never has cared to even listen to this album just because is from the "wrong" era.

I am glad you enjoy it.

Ray Rules
06-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey lobo, I've send you a PM but you didn't awnswer, so I'll type here..

You have tons and tons of live stuff, so.. from Headless Cross, what music do you have in live format?

Just to know.. Dio sang some Martin's era song?

El Lobo
06-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Hello Ray

From the HC era, check the Osaka boot, the Death called 89 boot and some others. If you can get the video Headless in Russia from that same era.

I don't thing any other sabbath singer have sung any Martin song.

Ray Rules
06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Where I can get the link to download the osaka and headless cross tour? I lost that link of your shared things

TheWitness
07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
The album is ok but I recently got my hands on a copy of the song "Cloak and Dagger" from the import version and I must say that this song is amazing!!! I can see why they would remove it from the album since the lyrical content of the song doesn't really fit with the rest of the album but what an amazing track!!! 2 thumbs up...

Neon Knight
07-16-2005, 03:31 AM
I think Coak and Dagger is one of the strongest songs of that Line Up. Its amazing.

Gardener
07-16-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey lobo, I've send you a PM but you didn't awnswer, so I'll type here..

You have tons and tons of live stuff, so.. from Headless Cross, what music do you have in live format?

Just to know.. Dio sang some Martin's era song?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to make a point about these things :

Ozzy only ever sang tunes written for him (he even had the songs written for Dave Walker in 1978 re-written before recording them).

Dio sang his songs plus Ozzy's songs.

Gillan sang his songs, Ozzy's and Dio's.

Hughes sang his songs, plus Ozzy's and Dio's (no Gillan).

Ray Gillen sang Hughes' songs, Ozzy's and Dio's.

Tony Martin sang tunes from Ozzy, Dio, Hughes (just once : "Heart Like A Wheel" in 1988) and Gillen's ( as the "Eternal Idol" was originally written for Ray).

In fact, Tony Martin is the only singer who left and came back in the band and sang tunes written after he left (when he sang songs from "Dehumanizer" during the 1994 and 1995 tours).

It's a shame because I would have loved to hear Hughes and Gillen do "Digital Bitch" or Dio do "The Shining" or "Headless Cross". Not to mention that would die to hear a rendition of "Children Of The Sea" with Ozzy on vocals. They would have to adapt it to his voice because he sure wouldn't be able to reach the more operatic parts, but I'm certain he would make it awsome and very different, certainly more gloomy.

Gardener
07-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Oh, and concerning the "Headless Cross" album (as it is the topic here), when I bought it, I listened to it twice and didn't like it. I left it in a corner and found it a few mounths later and decided to give it a new try. This time I got hooked instantly and now I love. Go figure...

And yes, "Cloak And Dagger" is a brilliant tune.

Gray Mouser
07-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Classic, but I also think unique for the era.

Kill in the Spirit World

made me remember another classic bands album from 1982

Dissection (band)
Storm Of The Light's Bane (theme)
Where Dead Angels Lie (album and song title)

This recommended song and album has very long opus style tracks that are like 'classical music' meet 'death metal'

Where dead angels lie - Dissection

Gray Mouser
07-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Where Dead Angels lie can also be found on the compilation album "Death...Is Just The Beginning IV"

Icarus
07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The music is fine, but the quasi-Satanic lyrics are silly and repetitive and, in my opinion, sink the album. As I have said elsewhere, Sabbath's lyrics, for me, are much more interesting and substantive when they concentrate on things like religious hypocrisy, the evil, corrupt power of political leaders, people not willing to understand one another, why God doesn't provide immediate answers to our problems and our relationships with one another, etc.. But on 'Headless Cross', it almost seems like Tony Martin sat down with the band in a meeting and said something like "OK...Sabbath is REALLY in need of a hit album. Since most people, excluding hard-core fans, think we're a bunch of devil worshippers and a lot of heavy-metal kids think that's so neat, why don't we give 'em what they want with an album that has a bunch of songs about Satan or the Devil returning to the world and reclaiming souls. Wouldn't that be scary and cool ???!!!...". And I can see Tony Iommi, realizing that Sabbath was then at their commercial nadir, reluctantly nodding his head and going along with it. That's why I don't like the album --- it seems totally calculated and forced. And while the music is OK, it does rely on keyboards for atmosphere a little too much for my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!

TheWitness
07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The keyboards set a mood for this album that I enjoy but I agree with these statements otherwise. This album really isn't as great as everybody makes it out to be IMO. The only Sabbath albums I like less than this one are Technical Ecstasy and Seventh Star.