PDA

View Full Version : OMG, he rules!

Ozzcar
05-23-2005, 04:24 AM
Hello

I was a long time Ozzy only supporter. I wanted to hear some other Sabbath than the classic Ozzy stuff. Everybody I asked said to listen to the Dio and Gillan stuff, but to avoid the Martin years. All my Sabbath friends used to say that Martin sucks, that he is a Dio clone, that his singing has no guts. I avoided his stuff but yesterday, I downloaded Headless Cross. Shit, this man is the BEST FUCKING AMAZING VOCALIST I EVER HEARD. Dio, my ass, Ian, my ass. This guy is amazing. Now, I like the Ozzy years more, but I think nobody in Sabbath can compare with the vocals in HC. And, BTW, great album!

michka
05-23-2005, 07:39 AM
i agree with everything you said .

Neon Knight
05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Now you know you like it, then buy it.

Ryan Porter
05-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Martin is good, indeed. I do prefer Dio more, but I do love Martin as well.

dioivanov
05-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Martin rules !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
Headless Cross is my best all time album

Warren
05-23-2005, 10:47 AM
I'll agree, Tony's got some pipes! This coming from someone who always used to say that Sabbath died when Ozzy left. Don't know what I was thinking at the time....

michka
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i love both of them equally.

David86
05-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Tony Martin is a god.

El Lobo
05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
My son, you have seen the light :-)

Ozzkar
05-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd like to compliment Ozzcar's name... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mob_Rules
05-23-2005, 02:09 PM
If people would just open their minds like this, The Tony Martin era would get its due respect.

M Williams
05-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Well said!

Prezuiwf
05-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Awesome, always good to see a new believer made.

If you liked his singing on Headless Cross, you'd love it on albums like Tyr and Cross Purposes and non-Sabbath albums like "The Cage II" and Misha Calvin's "Evolution."

RF
05-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Agree with most people here, in fact I prefer Martin over Dio. I like his voice more and he is less pompous and melodramatic tha Dio.

M Williams
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
I will also have to agree with you RF. I really like Dio, but I prefer Martin's voice, and from my view he appears to be more down to earth and less egotistical than Dio.

Van Helsing
05-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the club and get ready to hear some awesome music. I was once an "ozzy only" Sabbath fan and then it happened. My brother had gone to the record store and picked up a copy of Eternal Idol. Not knowing what to expect, i put the cassette into my stereo. Needless to say, i was blown away and it changed my perspective on Sabbath forever. That was almost twenty years ago, and Tony Martin is still my favorite Sabbath singer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ryan Porter
05-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Actually, Dio is quite down to earth...but even he will admit that he's tough to mess around with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RF
05-24-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, Dio is quite down to earth...but even he will admit that he's tough to mess around with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?, its not the impression I get, he seems to take himself quite seriously and to have a 'healthy' ego. Whereas Martin seems 'down to earth' Nothing wrong with, just how I see it. I was actually more referring to his music, lyrics and his 'public' persona since that is what we see of him. As good as he is as a singer, songwriter, performer etc I don't go with his choices etc. I find his lyrics and posturing to be passe, and some of his stage raps to be a bit cringeworthy. When I have seen him live I have found him to be 'melodramatic', I guess it either works for you or it doesn't. He can come across as a bit of a 'ham' actor at times. Although he seems genuineley to be into what he does.

On the other hand he has the self belief and confidence/arrogance that Martin appeared to lack to make himself a compelling live performer, like or hate him he is difficult to ignore. Martin seemed to lack that part of his personality to really stamp his authority on the proceedings, and I think this affected his public perception and consequrnt credability. Maybe if he had been an raging egotist as well he would have been more of a success.

Most importantly I prefer TM's voice, his musical choices and, with the exception of parts of Headless Cross, his lyrics. I find his voice to be far superior to Ronnies, but I find Dio to be the more engaging performer, even if I don't really appreciate his style.

RF

blues scale
05-24-2005, 07:20 AM
To me Headless and Tyr have some of the best vocals that Sabbath has to offer.
Both are very studio oriented and the layering of his voice in the mix is great ( see When Death Calls).
As far as singers at their peak I would say that Tony Martin is my favorite, but he doesnt deliver live .
I agree with RF, Dio is "on" live .
Im not really a fan of his solo stuff but he has never failed me in concert .

PK

I know what I want to listen to and I bet you kmow what you want to listen to too

Mob_Rules
05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I prefer Martin over Dio for the simple fact that he was the only singer that could cover the entire Black Sabbath catalog. Both Dio and Martin are world class talents and they rank among my favorite vocalists.

As far as Dio's ego goes, he might have one and may have a history of being tough to work with, but he is very good to his fans and always makes time for them.

Icarus
05-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I like Dio WAY better than Martin, but Martin does have a set of pipes, I just think his voice sounds a bit corny. In my opinion, of course...

Van Helsing
05-25-2005, 12:08 AM
I noticed on the cross purposes dvd( i have the bastardized version with only half of the songs) that Tony Martin seemed uncomfortable in the way that he carried himself on stage. I think this is because he is a former guitarist. I know that was some time ago, however i imagine going onstage with an instrument in hand is more comfortable than having both hands free by your sides. I would be absolutely terrified going onstage without my guitar.

renbergs
05-25-2005, 06:00 AM
I really like the Martin albums! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I prefer not to compare the different singer eras, I think they all have their qualities, but the Dio era and the Martin era are easy to compare because of the musical similarity.

However I wish that Cross Purposes - Live never had been released /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Martin had troubles with his voice at this time and this live recording doesn't show his normal standards. I saw them live during the Forbidden tour and his voice was way better.
An official live release from 1989-90 would have given Martin the recognition he deserves as a live singer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But that's hardly going to happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Echoes
05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
I too only listened to the Ozzy stuff, since I was skeptical about the later releases. However, I was forever hooked on the Tony Martin songs after hearing Valhalla. It was just so powerful, melodic and ....I guess rocking (I can't think of another word). Nowadays, I find myself listening to Martin material more than the other stuff.

It's really a shame that he was left behind in the band. Of all the singers in Sabbath, he was the only one who never quit or deserved to be fired. The guy was with them for nearly a decade, he was willing to sing songs from any era, was committed to the band and had an incredible range. Yet with all he's done, he was still abandoned for reunions. It just goes to show you that sometimes in life loyalty doesn't pay off.

Blackmore
05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as singers at their peak I would say that Tony Martin is my favorite, but he doesnt deliver live .

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true, on some of the bootlegs I've heard form the Headless Cross era he hits the high notes easily while in others (from the same era) he avoids them like the plague (tak the headless in Russia dvd for example, he sings great but avoids the high notes like his life depends on it).

Oddly enough, sick as he was, I think his version of "Symptom Of The Universe" (on the Cross Purposes-Live cd and video) is the best one I've ever heard.

I think to recall to have read somewhere (maybe on his website) that when his nerves get the better of him his vocal delivery goes out the window...

El Lobo
05-26-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

(tak the headless in Russia dvd for example, he sings great but avoids the high notes like his life depends on it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well not his life, but his voice depended on it. They did one show every day, plus 2 shows!!! every saturday and sunday for three weeks. That made 31 concerts in only 21 days. I mean, he could not possible deliver every note every day. Anyway, I consider his Russian shows to be very good even if he was careful with his voice.

Blackmore
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(tak the headless in Russia dvd for example, he sings great but avoids the high notes like his life depends on it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well not his life, but his voice depended on it. They did one show every day, plus 2 shows!!! every saturday and sunday for three weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So that explains everything. I take back the "his life" comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif

Kgb
05-27-2005, 02:25 AM
If ur a sabbath fan u have to listen to Tony Martin era albums...

IronMorgoth
06-05-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here.

Rover
06-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Martin became my favourite Black Sabbath vocalist ever, surpassing even Dio. The first Black Sabbath album I heard was the eponymous one, but I never really liked Ozzy for some reason. Dio is great (and it was a visit to Dio gig that inspired me to check out Black Sabbath), but Martin's singing and lyrics was more appealing to me. Pity that he was fired (twice, even), but after all, Black Sabbath was over in 1995, and it looks like Iommi wanted to reunite with his old friends to play what they want for their own pleasure, regardless of what people say. So I guess we should wish the two Tonys luck in whatever they're doing.

Prezuiwf
06-20-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pity that he was fired (twice, even)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well actually, he was fired 3 times. The first time was when they reunited with Dio. After Dio recorded Dehumanizer, Tony was brought back in to record his own version of it and then he was fired AGAIN when they decided to go with Dio after all. And of course, the third and final time was after the Forbidden tour.

TheWitness
07-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Tony Martin truly is a diamond in the ruff. Like many people here I once listened to only the Sabbath stuff with Ozzy and when I got into Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules I couldn't even remember the Ozzy stuff I loved Dio's singing that much. Besides, is there a ballzier song than Mob Rules in the Sabbath catalog? It wasn't until 3 years ago that I finally bought my first Tony Martin era album (Cross Purposes) and I was amazed with that album. I remember hearing Back To Eden in 1994 on local radio and thinking that it was an excellent song but it took 8 more years before I purchased it! Better late than never I guess. Tony Martin has become my favorite Sabbath singer...a place Dio held for so long.

IRON MAN
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello

I was a long time Ozzy only supporter. I wanted to hear some other Sabbath than the classic Ozzy stuff. Everybody I asked said to listen to the Dio and Gillan stuff, but to avoid the Martin years. All my Sabbath friends used to say that Martin sucks, that he is a Dio clone, that his singing has no guts. I avoided his stuff but yesterday, I downloaded Headless Cross. Shit, this man is the BEST FUCKING AMAZING VOCALIST I EVER HEARD. Dio, my ass, Ian, my ass. This guy is amazing. Now, I like the Ozzy years more, but I think nobody in Sabbath can compare with the vocals in HC. And, BTW, great album!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, Martin is cool! He's not that much like Dio either IMO.