PDA

View Full Version : Iommi's touring bass position plans for Headless Cross

Nightwing
06-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Prior to Neil coming over, what were Iommi and Martins plans as far as the bass position went for touring purposes for Headless Cross?

They used Laurence Cottle, then got Neil at the eve of the tour. Was this the plan all along, or was Laurence going to tour, or did Iommi have other plans?

Joe Siegler
06-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally, it was supposed to be Geezer Butler. Laurence Cottle was never intended to go beyond the sessions he recorded.

Interviews said that it was supposed to be Geezer Butler going out on tour for Headless Cross, but that didn't happen, so they brought in Neil Murray on the eve of release.

michka
06-16-2005, 12:31 PM
geezer got a bigger check from o$$y and $haron so he played on the ''no rest for the wicked" 88-89 tour ,he also appears on the ''just say ozzy"live ep.

epicus
06-16-2005, 10:54 PM
I actually very much like Neil's bass playing. I wish he had plaed on "Headless Cross" I think his playing on "Tyr" is very good but buried a little bit in the mix. Gezzer is of course the ultimate Sabbath bass player though.

David86
06-16-2005, 11:54 PM
I agree man, his playing on Tyr is really great. Particulary on "Sabbath Stones" I love it.

RF
06-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Possible, but the TYR proudction does bury Murray pretty much totally. After all this time the production sounds crap to me, very very dated and lacking in power(Bass maybe)which is a shame as the material is strong.

He appears to a less 'in your face' bassist than Geezer, very good but a different less prominent style.

RF

El Lobo
06-17-2005, 06:18 AM
If I recall it correctly, Tyr was almost completly produced by Cozy, which would explain the monstrous sound of the drums that just eats the bass lines. A shame. I even like the Forbidden production more than Tyr's.

RF
06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
He is creditied, along with Iommi, as the producer. But yes, I have also heard that he basically produced it along with HC. Both have crappy productions I feel, which robs the songs of some of their power.

RF

Prezuiwf
06-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Actually, I think Headless Cross and Tyr have great production, the production really fits the sound of the music and they are both very clear and well-done.

RF
06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Really?, it sounds kind of 'empty' to me, maybe wrong word, apoligies from a non native English speaker. Dehumanizer had a too 'heavy?' production and I think CP had about the best balanced production, but to be honest i listen to it all on my PC now so not exactly state of the art stereo equipment, so I could be off base.

RF