PDA

View Full Version : My verdict

gunman42782
07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
All right, on a previous post I asked to be talked into buying a Tony Martin era album. I bought four. After listening to them for several days now, I have to say that the main complaint I have against him is that he is hard for me to understand. I can't hear what he is saying without benefit of the lyric sheet. I mean, yeah, sure, sometimes Ozzy and Dio can be a little hard to understand on some words, but Martin is hard for me to understand on almost every song! Even with the music cranked up! The music is still good. Iommi never lost his touch. But I kind of have to agree with some of the posters who say that although it is good stuff, it aint really Sabbath. Ironically enough, Sabbaths last album to me was Never Say Die. I like Dio, and Martin is OK, but it lost some of it's appeal when Ozzy left.

Prezuiwf
07-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Well you certainly have a fair opinion, and I comend you for buying the albums. We all have our tastes. I can see what you mean about not being able to understand TM-- I have no trouble but I could see how someone might have trouble.

All I can really say is that, like it or not, these albums will grow on you. Give it time.

ErikMoreno
07-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Well all I can say is that now you have a wider perspective of Sabbath's Work, you did right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In my opinion I dont get this "this is not sabbath" feeling with all the Sabbath Eras because to me Sabbath is Tony :P and all this Line Ups only shows his versatility

Cheers

Kgb
07-09-2005, 11:29 AM
See I agree its kinda difficult to understand his lyrics but Iommi stuff of continueing sabbath with TM was correct.even if the lyrics is difficult to catch but still is version with Sabbath were fantastic although no one could be compared to with Ozzy stuff...but still there's this kind of magic with TM
era...
Always Lyrics dont Matter.....its the melody that matters....which TM era gave us..
But still it from individual point of view to like it or not...

Psycho Man
07-09-2005, 01:43 PM
at least you gave Martin a chance. I hate it when people trash thing they have not even tried to like. I used to think of Dio as the guy who replaced Ozzy and would never be able to be better, but once I started listening to his stuff with Sabbath, Rainbow and his solo stuff he is really good.

paranoid
07-09-2005, 02:31 PM
It may not be Sabbath, but it's good!

Mob_Rules
07-09-2005, 02:56 PM
I think it is Black Sabbath, just not the Ozzy Osbourne Black Sabbath. It is all in how you define what "Black Sabbath" is. To each his own, but after a while, this stuff grows on you. Give it time because four albums is a lot to digest at one time.

El Lobo
07-09-2005, 04:36 PM
It is Black Sabbath, but thanks god, it's not Ozzy's Sabbath.

Icarus
07-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd take any Sabbath singer over Martin any day. No offense to him or his fans, but he doesn't do a whole lot for me

Rover
07-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Good, you heard him and he's not your cup of tea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Some people never heard him but keep saying how bad he is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Van Helsing
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good, you heard him and he's not your cup of tea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Some people never heard him but keep saying how bad he is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!!!!!!!! I argued with this kid the other day about Tony Martin. He was saying that Martin sucked, blah, blah, blah. The worst part of it was that he was saying this in a group of people who had never heard of that era of Sabbath. Just when he thought he had them convinced, i preceeded to ask him what album he had heard TM singing on. He said Heaven And Hell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Needless to say, he lost all of his credibility with me and his entire audience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif

Eternal Idol
07-10-2005, 10:27 AM
ALL I KNOW IS THAT DIO COULDNT OR WOULDNT SING ANY OF MARTINS SONGS .OZZY WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT IT AND MARTIN DID EVERYBODYS SONGS EVEN WHEN HIS SONGS WERE NEGLETED ON TOUR !

gunman42782
07-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, I am still listening and the more I listen to him, he is growing on me some. My main complaint, like I said, is he is a tad hard to understand. The music is good. I aint too crazy about the Forbidden album, and I HATE the first song on that album that kinda sounds like a rap song.

Prezuiwf
07-14-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I am still listening and the more I listen to him, he is growing on me some. My main complaint, like I said, is he is a tad hard to understand. The music is good. I aint too crazy about the Forbidden album, and I HATE the first song on that album that kinda sounds like a rap song.

[/ QUOTE ]

It IS a rap song (well, it has Ice-T rapping in it and Tony Martin doing sort of a half-singing, half-rapping thing). It's one of the few Sabbath experiments that really flopped...

Ozziom
07-15-2005, 12:33 AM
At least you gave it a shot, keep listening. I don't like forbidden either. I think you need to let it sink in , it's a lot to listen to in a short time. Which Tony Martin CD didn't you get?

Have you Listened to Born Again with Ian Gillan?

gunman42782
07-27-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least you gave it a shot, keep listening. I don't like forbidden either. I think you need to let it sink in , it's a lot to listen to in a short time. Which Tony Martin CD didn't you get?

Have you Listened to Born Again with Ian Gillan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not get The Eternal Idol. Yes, I had the Born Again album years ago and did not care for it. I do not have it at this time.

renbergs
07-28-2005, 01:10 AM
I really like the Martin albums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
But he also got a good start in my ears /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After Born Again and Seventh Star I really wondered where the hell Sabbath was going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I can dig those albums, they're not bad, but they're the weakest Sabbath albums. So when The Eternal Idol arrived it was "WOOOWWW" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and when it was followed up by Headless Cross /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I really was hooked on the Martin stuff.

To let the Martin era grow on you, start off high with Mob Rules /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif go down with Born Again and Seventh Star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and then rise again to the kingdom of musical glory with The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross and Tyr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif go down again a little with Dehumanizer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and then rise again with Cross Purposes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If there's one Martin album to skip it would be Forbidden, but I wouldn't recommend it.

paranoid
07-28-2005, 06:24 PM
I consider everything under the name to be Black Sabbath. Though, I sometime have an exception. That exception was Seventh Star, because it's really an Iommi solo album. It has the Sabbath name, but it's not really Sabbath, it's Iommi and Hughes. Though everything else like Dio, Gillan, or Martin I consider Sabbath.