PDA

View Full Version : Outtake/B-Side Songs

Rover
08-08-2005, 05:09 AM
I saw there's a thread for What's the Use, but not for any other obscure tracks. Last I checked, there were four of them - Some Kind of Woman (B-Side for The Shining single), Cloak and Dagger (B-Side for Headless Cross single), What's the Use and Loser Gets It All (Extras from Japanese Only versions of Cross Purposes and Forbidden albums respectively). Recently, I got them all<font color="black">, thanks to El Lobo</font>.

<font color="red">Some Kind of Woman</font> - a very un-Sabbath song, but nevertheless cool for a change. Very fast, TM's voice sounds a bit different than most of other songs. Nice lyrics for a change, though I see why it wasn't on the album. Simply too different, some say it's Van Halen'ish. Not heard anything of Van Halen, though, so I can't tell.
<font color="red">Cloak and Dagger</font> - great song, couldn't see why it wasn't on HC album. Couldn't have been timing considerations, since the album is very short anyways. Great riff, great melody, although lyrics have some identical lines to other HC songs, and overall they're a bit more of HC's devilish concept, no revelations here.

<font color="red">What's the Use</font> - great tune, I like the lyrics especially. A fast tune, the kind we horribly missed on CP album itself which had more ballads than punching songs.

<font color="red">Loser Gets It All</font> - seems pretty generic to me, and rather short. It's the shortest proper Sabbath song (Odin's Court is shorter but it's more of an intro tune for Valhalla).

Your thoughts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheWitness
08-08-2005, 09:23 AM
I haven't heard SKOW but all the others are great songs...especially the tune What's the Use.

Gardener
08-08-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">Some Kind of Woman</font> - a very un-Sabbath song, but nevertheless cool for a change. Very fast, TM's voice sounds a bit different than most of other songs. Nice lyrics for a change, though I see why it wasn't on the album. Simply too different, some say it's Van Halen'ish. Not heard anything of Van Halen, though, so I can't tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the main reason it's so different from the rest of the album is that it's Tony Martin who wrote it when he came in. I even believe he had wrote this song before getting in Sabbath.

Mob_Rules
08-08-2005, 10:01 AM
"Some Kind Of Woman" sounds different vocally because Tony Martin isn't copying Ray Gillen's vocal patterns like he had to when he joined the band. Love the song because it is somewhat "un-Sabbath."

I wish all of "Headless Cross" had the stripped down sound that "Cloak & Dagger" has. Very good track.

One bonus track you forgot about was the original version of "Black Moon." It's more raw than the version on "Headless Cross."

Rover
08-08-2005, 01:48 PM
I haven't heard that one yet, and since it's not a completely new song, but rather a "beta version" of an already existing one, I chose not to bother with it either.

Petoria000
08-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Youre forgetting "The Fallen", an outtake from the Born Again sessions. Definitely better than some of the material on the finished product-- I have no idea why it didnt make it on the album.

Theres also "Bad Blood" and "The Next Time" from the Dehumanizer sessions. Theyre ok. I can understand why they didnt make the cut. An alternate version of "Letters From Earth" is also available but its just has different lyrics.

Mob_Rules
08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but I think he is only referring to the Tony Martin era outtakes.

Rover
08-08-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Youre forgetting "The Fallen", an outtake from the Born Again sessions. Definitely better than some of the material on the finished product-- I have no idea why it didnt make it on the album.

Theres also "Bad Blood" and "The Next Time" from the Dehumanizer sessions. Theyre ok. I can understand why they didnt make the cut. An alternate version of "Letters From Earth" is also available but its just has different lyrics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, my mistake. Although I haven't yet heard any of those songs you mentioned. They're also different from what I listed because they were never released in any way. Suppose someone could start another thread for these songs - Unreleased Demos or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paranoid
08-09-2005, 01:23 AM
You're forgetting the origional version of Black Moon which was only released on the Shining 7"

renbergs
08-09-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the main reason it's so different from the rest of the album is that it's Tony Martin who wrote it when he came in. I even believe he had wrote this song before getting in Sabbath.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Love the song because it is somewhat "un-Sabbath."

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaah! That would explain why I always felt this song was a strange bird in the Sabbath collection! Now that you mention it, it feels more connected to TM's solo album "Back Where I Belong".
And that's also the reason why I don't agree with Mob Rules. I don't dislike it, but I don't think it's up to normal Sabbath standard.

Rover
08-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Last I heard, the basis for SKOW was not written with Martin's participation. Martin only wrote melody and lyrics for it (and for Black Moon also), but these tracks were considered outtakes because no one has written a melody for then before Martin came onboard.