PDA

View Full Version : Cross Purposes

gunman42782
09-24-2005, 12:24 AM
After listening to the four Martin era albums I have I have come to the conclusion that this one is my favorite. I can understand him better on this one and the music is really good too. I actually like it! All of you that said to give it time were right. I even like some of the songs on Forbidden (although Illusion of Power is enough to make me puke!) I am not too crazy about Headless Cross or Tyr, although they both have there moments.

David86
09-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Cross Purposes is a great record. The only song I don't care much about is Virtual Death, but all the others songs are fantastic. Dying for Love is one of the best ballads I've heard, I Witness; one of my favorite tunes.

It's really a shame that the tour wasn't that great.

Joe Siegler
09-24-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you basing that on? The Cross Purposes Live record? If all, that's a disservice. I saw Sabbath twice on this tour. Once in Philadelphia, and again in Dallas. Enjoyed it both times, and Tony sounded better there than he did on CPL.

Of all the gigs of Sabbath's I've seen, I enjoyed the CP tour setlist more than any other, due to it's vareity.

Albums they played stuff from:

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage
Heaven & Hell
Mob Rules
Headless Cross
Tyr
Dehumanizer
Cross Purposes

It was the widest set list I'd ever seen. I also gave them props for trying to drop Iron Man from the set list. Unfortunately, they had to bring it back as the tour went on. Likewise they also didn't play Heaven & Hell, either.

Neon Knight
09-24-2005, 07:09 AM
Its cool they performed some stuff of Dehumanizer. Makes the recordings very interesting.

Joe Siegler
09-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Well, it was only one song, Time Machine. It opened the concert.

Rover
09-25-2005, 04:58 AM
CP tour setlist was great, although a bit focused on Ozzy-era songs instead of Dio-era ones (or even Martin's own songs for that matter). I for one would have liked to hear Geezer play The Shining. However, I don't complain - the dismissal of War Pigs outweighs the lack of any songs from '83 - '87. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And Anno Mundi getting captured live officially... great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I for one think that Sabbath should unearth some live recordings from HC or Tyr tours and release them officially to fill the gap between Live Evil and CPL. Look at what Deep Purple is doing - even with Ian Gillan at the helm, they dig up and release the likes of Live @ California Jam...

paranoid
09-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I would of liked it if Cross Purposes Live was a double CD set and the second CD would have more Dio and especially Martin era songs.

Mob_Rules
09-26-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of all the gigs of Sabbath's I've seen, I enjoyed the CP tour setlist more than any other, due to it's vareity.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I would want this lineup to reunite if there ever is another "Post Ozzy Era."

LaughingMan
10-06-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cross Purposes is a great record. The only song I don't care much about is Virtual Death, but all the others songs are fantastic. Dying for Love is one of the best ballads I've heard, I Witness; one of my favorite tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tour WAS great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Prezuiwf
10-06-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, someone else who thinks Virtual Death is the worst song on that album. Why does everyone think it's so special?? It's certainly listenable but it's probably the worst thing on there.

El Lobo
10-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Virtual Death is B o R i N g

David86
10-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Nods

Neon Knight
10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
I dont like Virtual Death aswell.

LaughingMan
10-10-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally, someone else who thinks Virtual Death is the worst song on that album. Why does everyone think it's so special?? It's certainly listenable but it's probably the worst thing on there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naaah...Psychophobia's the worst. Virtual Death's only second worst! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mob_Rules
10-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I am surprised because I happen to love both "Pyschophobia" (good up-tempo track) and "Virtual Death" (which has that doomy classic Sabbath sound to it). My least favorite has to be "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle."

El Lobo
10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My least favorite has to be "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man.. I happen to ADORE that song!

Prezuiwf
10-11-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised because I happen to love both "Pyschophobia" (good up-tempo track) and "Virtual Death" (which has that doomy classic Sabbath sound to it). My least favorite has to be "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Virtual Death" and "The Hand The Rocks The Cradle" are my two least favorite songs from the album. I don't dislike "Psychophobia" at all, in fact the song has a very energetic and live feel to it that makes it very appealing to me.

Mob_Rules
10-11-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My least favorite has to be "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man.. I happen to ADORE that song!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't hate the song. Just prefer others off this album. That is the beauty of music. You can differ on opinion and no one is wrong. ;-)

gunman42782
10-13-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. Pyschophobia is my favorite track on the album, followed by I Witness and Virual Death.

TJSwoboda
10-17-2005, 05:46 AM
If the second half of CP were as good as the first, it could be my favorite Sabbath album. As it is, there's a little filler on side 2 IMO (including the damn single, "Back to Eden," never cared for that one)... But the first half, damn. I Witness, Cross of Thorns, Psychophobia (my fave), Virtual Death, and Immaculate Conception are among my favorite tracks from all five Martin albums.

--T.J.

Mateusz
10-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Ok my favorites from Cp:

I Witness - great track, something in style of Neon Knights, Tony Martin showin' his whole vocal range, Geezer doing great things on bass

Virtual Death - like in good old Sabbath days with Ozzy

Immaculate Deception - awesome track, great drumming and double riffs by Tony and Geezer

Dying for Love - great lyrics, very strong track

The Hand that..... - again great riff, good lyrics

Evil Eye - superb "walking" riff, doubled by bass

Ray Rules
10-28-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm listening this album right now, and I'm falling in love for it. Oh my god, for me, its like a hammer in Dehumanizer head..

ledsabbath
11-06-2005, 01:45 PM
i just got it yesterday and im listening it straight through for the first time. all i can say is...wow!!! if it weren't for this forum, i would have never have gotten into post-ozzy stuff. especailly this tony martin stuff!! right now, im listening to dying for love, and theres not a single song yet that i dont like. immaculate deception has caught my ears the most so far, but im not even half way through the album

El Lobo
11-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Dying for love is one of the better songs on CP. "cross of thorns" is a hell of a song too. I also love the "Hand that rocks the craddle". Good album, but not my favorite of the martin era. Is light years away from the great Headless Cross, IMO.

Ray Rules
11-06-2005, 07:14 PM
yeah Lobbie ( LOL ), but I fall in love for Dying For Love. Man, Tony sang in such a passionated way... When I listen that cd, I AlWAYS skip to Dying..

Lobo, you focker... You transform me in a Tony Martin adicted, and I transform two buddys too

Roy-Mus
11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I think it's about time we have a Cross Purposes Survivor.

I think Virtual Death is the first to jump ship.

It is one of the worst Black Sabbath songs ever. I've been listening to it today and it looks too much to that grunge crap of the 90's. Thank God the rest of the album is EXCELLENT!

ledsabbath
11-07-2005, 05:38 PM
i like virtual death...i happen to like every single song on the album.

Petoria000
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like virtual death...i happen to like every single song on the album.

[/ QUOTE ]

diozzy
11-07-2005, 06:02 PM
virtual death, cross of thorn is what sabbath is all about.

Ray Rules
11-07-2005, 09:38 PM
* Claping * Dying For Love! Dying For Love!

M Williams
11-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I Love Virtual Death!!!

Mob_Rules
11-08-2005, 01:05 AM
I love "Virtual Death" too. "Back to Eden" or "Hand That Rocks The Cradle" should be the first to go.

Gray Mouser
11-08-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I Love Virtual Death!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Virtual death has to be one of the best - a slow screamer - V i r t u a l D e a t h....

What should be the first to go is Cardinal Sin - I just happen to like it less.

Nibby
11-08-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I Love Virtual Death!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Virtual death has to be one of the best - a slow screamer - V i r t u a l D e a t h....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Cardinal Sin is perhaps my favourite together with Cross of Thorns. Really love the riff combined with the strings. The lyrics are great aswell, and Martin sings really good on this song, aswell as on the rest of the album btw.

Mob_Rules
11-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I dig "Cardinal Sin" too. You can tell it was inspired by "Kashmir" but when the song speeds up in the middle, it is pretty intense.

Rover
11-08-2005, 05:11 PM
"Cardinal Sin" grew on me, it's got a... symphonic kind of sound at times. I guess it'd be a prime candidate for the setlist on a hypothetic "Sabbath + symphony" concert. Along with Computer God and Anno Mundi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EvilCheese
11-08-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Immaculate Conception

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

MarcStitz
11-08-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I Love Virtual Death!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I have to agree with Grey, Cardinal Sin is my lease favorite too. Cross Purpose makes my day until Cardinal Sin apears.

Echoes
11-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Dying for Love and Cross of Thorns are my favourites from this album at the moment. I also have a small thing for The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. It's got a Zeppelinesque riff.

Prezuiwf
11-09-2005, 02:15 AM
"Evil Eye" is where it's at, it's one of Iommi's greatest masterpieces!!

Adam
11-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Man, I got it signed by Tony Martin...

Adam
11-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Think that Cross Purposes lineup could bring the band essentially as a band back to live.

EvilCheese
11-09-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Evil Eye" is where it's at, it's one of Iommi's greatest masterpieces!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Such a killer riff.

ledsabbath
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
yeah, great way to end an album

Ray Rules
12-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Did Tony Martin sang Immaculate Deception live? Such a killer vocal line

David86
12-01-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't think they ever did it live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ray Rules
12-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Hey, I find it! They did it live!!

They play in on a few shows...
Somebody have it??

David86
12-02-2005, 11:44 AM
That's grrrrreat news! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ray Rules
12-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah. Enter this site www.rareconcerts.cjb.net (http://www.rareconcerts.cjb.net) it belongs to Mauricio.

Black Sabbath
"Toad's Place" New Haven, Connecticut, USA 09.02.94

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confirmed within Paranoid/New Haven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supertzar
Time Machine
Children of the Grave
Children of the Sea
I Witness
The Mob Rules
Into the Void
Psychophobia
Guitar Intro/Black Sabbath
Neon Knights
Immaculate Deception
The Wizard
Cross of Thorns
Symptom of the Universe
Headless Cross
Paranoid
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

ledsabbath
12-03-2005, 12:32 AM
so i played cross purposes for a friend whose heard very little if any black sabbath before and his reaction was WOW, this is good! i smiled and said "there's black sabbath for yah"