PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Tony's live vocals between 90-94??????

Mateusz
10-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I've been listening to a lot of Tony Martin live stuff recently, and something really bothers me. On the Eternal Idol, Headless Cross and Tyr tours he sings terrific, he's very passionate, hits all the high notes right, and resembles Dio in some way. But on the Cross Purposes and Forbidden tours his singing is much different. His voice got lower, he avoids high notes, and often his voice breakes. For me he totally spoiled Cross Purposes Live, if you don't believe me just try listening to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath from CPL: "you wanna see-them-burn" - sometimes he sounds like he's rapping - or take a moment to find a place when he tries to put emotions into "you bastards !" and instead it sounds like vomiting .... Of course we all know that Tony was sick during the recording of CPL, but then again: on all other recordings from taht tour that I have he sounds equally poor. So I thought Ok, he was sick during the whole CP tour, but he must have been great during the Forbidden tour .... and then I watched the Malta'95 video ... after watching this show i actually felt sorry for Tony Martin. He had real trouble singing, and in some places only Geoff Nicholls backing vocals saved him. Tony's voice was really "rusty", not only he couldn't sing high notes, he had trouble singing anything properly !!

At this point I must say that I'm a big fan of Tony Martin, and I wouldn't write all of this if I didn't know what he's capable of. But after comaparing for example Copenhagen'89, Wolverhampton'90, or Headless in Russia to any of CP or Forbidden tours live stuff the difference is striking.

What happend to Tony's voice after the Tyr tour ?? Ok, he got older - but 3 years isn't that much time, and we have to remember that Tony is younger than both Dio and Ozzy, and yet I must regrettably admit that this year when I saw the BS gig in Prague Ozzy sang a lot cleaner and better than Tony Martin 10 years ago .....

dioivanov
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Listen "M3 Classic Whitesnake part1" '2003. Tony Martin sing very good and clean. Also in Forbidden tour - live in UK '1995 its not bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Petoria000
10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
His voice was simply strained from extensive touring and recording.

Prezuiwf
10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Listen "M3 Classic Whitesnake part1" '2003. Tony Martin sing very good and clean. Also in Forbidden tour - live in UK '1995 its not bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to order that M3 CD a month ago but I still haven't gotten it and they didn't return the e-mail I sent them. I'm starting to worry I pissed away my money...

Eternal Idol
10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
WHERE CAN THAT CD BE BOUGHT ? CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE ?

Petoria000
10-17-2005, 05:50 PM
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK

Gardener
10-18-2005, 04:29 AM
He seems to have had some vocal chords problems during the 1994 tour, probably due to intensive recording and touring. He sounded great during most of the 1995 tour, but he caught a cold around the middle of the tour , and as he couldn't take any time to rest, his voice took time to heal. If you have the chance, try grabbing shows from the very beginning of the tour (Stockholm comes to my mind, amazing show !) or the very end (the 3 Japanese shows were killers, and you get to hear Tony sing "Changes". And believe me, he just delivered the very best live version of this song ever during the 11/22/95 show in Osaka !!)