PDA

View Full Version : Headless Cross "Dated" (I need explanation)

Nightwing
10-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Headless Cross always seems to get the term as "sounding dated". I hear this about a lot of other albums, too.

Can somebody explain to me simply what the logistics are of sounding "dated" I honestly don't know what this means, somebody explain it simply to me.

And then explain exactly what in Headless Cross sounds "dated", because again I don't know what this really means.

Adam
10-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah, good question!

Petoria000
10-21-2005, 02:03 PM
"dated" is the opposite of "timeless". If something is dated it sounds old and typical of that time period (mostly in a negative way).

Adam
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
It doesn't refer to Headless Cross.

Petoria000
10-21-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't refer to Headless Cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it does. The whole album says "80s!!!!"

not that its a bad thing

I love headless cross.

Icarus
10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Sometimes, "dated" can also mean "cheesy", which is something HC definately IS

Falling Sabs
10-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Dated means to be old and "flimsy" and "dull" since it's inception, but I dont find this to be the case with Headless Cross.

El Lobo
10-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Oh, I get it. Sabbath bloody sabbath is dated. It sounds so 70s, its not even funny. Seriously, I never understood why the term dated seems only to apply to the 80s and not to the 70s. I mean, Black Sabbath, the album, sounds OLD.

Mob_Rules
10-21-2005, 05:17 PM
"Dated," to me, means that it sounds "past it's time" or not like the "current trends." Music is timeless, so I shun all labels associated with any form of music or art. If you like it, who gives a damn what anyone else thinks!

For the record - I like "Headless Cross." I've said before that I wish it was rawer sounding, but it's damn good music as is.

Rover
10-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Eh, Deep Purple In Rock should be therefore called "dated", because the guitar sound is "ancient"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It has the number "1970" scrawled on its every note. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But we don't call it "old" or "dated"?

Futureal
10-22-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"dated" is the opposite of "timeless". If something is dated it sounds old and typical of that time period (mostly in a negative way).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep.

Headless Cross (which I enjoy) has a stereotypical 80s drum sound, cheesey lyrics about Satan and ludicrously high notes from Tony Martin, which all add up to give it that 80s feel. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. Too many people go on the defensive when something's called "dated", but all it means is that it's a strong reflection of music in that time period.

Futureal
10-22-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eh, Deep Purple In Rock should be therefore called "dated", because the guitar sound is "ancient"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It has the number "1970" scrawled on its every note. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But we don't call it "old" or "dated"?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd definately say Deep Purple are dated. That doesn't stop them being one of my favourite bands though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif