PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Nicholls appreciation thread

Los
12-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Black Sabbath is a band that has existed for more than 36 years yet.

What is said, a lot of musicians were a very important part of this band, but have remained totally underrated.

Surely, one of the most underrated musicians of Black Sabbath is Geoff Nicholls , who played guitar, bass, keyboards and sang backing vocals during his presence in Black Sabbath.

He was a part of Black Sabbath for !!25 years!! probably..
That means that he was the most stable member of Sabbath together with Iommi.
Itīs very sad, that he wasnīt considered as a stable and ordinary member of Black Sabbath despite his great acquisition to this band.

I think that he is worth to be marked as one of the most legendary musicians of Black Sabbath!!

aijommi
12-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes, he is surely one of the most important members of Black Sabbath, who is totally underrated

Petoria000
12-25-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Surely, one of the most underrated musicians of Black Sabbath is Geoff Nicholls , who played guitar, bass, keyboards and sang backing vocals during his presence in Black Sabbath.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he wrote some lyrics on Seventh Star, and did (hidden) lead vocals on a few tour dates when Hughes had to lipsync to him.

Echoes
12-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Geoff is underrated; no doubt about it. It's too bad that with all his efforts for the band he doesn't get acknoledged like he should.

David86
12-25-2005, 11:42 PM
<3 geoff

Prezuiwf
12-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Without a doubt, his importance to the band over the course of the 80's and 90's was second only to Iommi's. He added a great aura and mystique to many songs without making himself stand out too much. Perhaps my favorite keyboardist of all time.

Gardener
12-26-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he wrote some lyrics on Seventh Star, and did (hidden) lead vocals on a few tour dates when Hughes had to lipsync to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geoff's role onstage was way wider than that. He did all backing vocals onstage from 1980 to 2001. As you said, he also sang in Glenn Hughes' place when his voice went totally off in Providence in 1986. But he also played the bass (when he was hired in 1979, he was supposed to be Sabbath's new bass player, and he played the bass live once in 1988 after Joe Burt left the band), even played the guitar onstage (he sometimes added a second guitar during "Born Again" in 1983 and sometimes played rythm guitar during songs like "Paranoid" or "Neon Knights").

I don't think one can imagine the impact Geoff had on Sabbath's carrer, both as a musician and a composer. Remember he is the one who came up with the bass line in "Heaven And Hell", one Sabbath's greatest song ever. And listening to Tony Martin's "Scream", I can't help thinking a good deal of this brilliant "Sabbath" sound might be due to Mr Nicholls.

And though I'm really delighted to see Tony Martin and Geoff working together again and think to should go on like this forever, I really dream of hearing a Geoff Nicholls solo album. I mean, this guy has help creating Black Sabbath's music for 21 years, he is a great singer, keyboards, guitar and bass player, I believe he could released one hell of an album all by himself !

Oh, by the way, I voted the man is underrated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rover
12-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Hell yeah, I totally adore Geoff Nicholls. He is the Jon Lord of Black Sabbath, and though his keyboards were never too prominent in the mix - so that he would not transgress onto Iommi's territory - but they are nevertheless a vital part of BS sound (and on Tony Martin's Scream, we could hear just what Geoff's keyboards SHOULD sound like!) Also, I can't just understand that Geoff spent twenty-two years (approximately) playing keyboards in Sabbath while NOT being recognized as the official band member (save on Seventh Star) and being pushed offstage. THAT is an example of patience and devotion! Shame that Iommi fired him per SHARON OSBOURNE's request, as if he has been suddenly struck dumb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif

Oh yeah, and best wishes to Geoff and Tony M. now!

Los
12-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Althought I love Tony iommiīs great guitar riffs, one thing I hate on him, is his behaviour toward people like T. Martin and Geoff, whose acquisitions to Sabbath were so huge...

And the fact, that Geoff was the second biggest man of sabbath fore more than 2é years, and wasnīt considered as an official member, is really a fucking merd!!

I donīt know if Iommi is responsible for it, but it was really inhuman and unfriendly and I donīt understand how could Geoff play in BS with such a disregard for so long

El Lobo
12-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Geoff is a very underrated musician, no doubd about it. In Sabbath his keyboards were kind of "hiden" in the music.

In Tony Martin "Scream" his role is more like Jon Lords in Purple: ypou can really hear his keyboards as a very prominent instrument there.

Benjo
12-30-2005, 02:32 AM
It is bizarre condidering Geoffs contribution to Sabbath that he seemed to be treated like a session, fill in musician. He was with Sabbath for such a long time and involved in land mark albums which he had significant input. I don't know?

Los
01-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Donīt you know why has Geoff left Black sabbath? Or was he kicked off?

Echoes
01-07-2006, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Donīt you know why has Geoff left Black sabbath? Or was he kicked off?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I read on Joe's site as well as this forum, nobody seems to have a concrete answer. It's mostly speculation and theories. Nothing more.

Petoria000
01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I think a big reason was the reunion. He probably saw Sabbath turned stagnant, and jumped ship.

VikingChrist
01-13-2006, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a big reason was the reunion. He probably saw Sabbath turned stagnant, and jumped ship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, I doubt that's the case at all. There's a big paycheck involved in those reunion tours. I'm sure Geoff wouldn't have minded the stagnant situation to tour on Ozzfest and come home with a big fat wallet. The guy who replaced him was Ozzy's keyboardist. He didn't have the tenure with Sabbath that Nicholls had, so he probably was cheaper, and to be honest, most people aren't going to notice the keyboardist has he plays on the side of the stage anyway. Odds are that it all came down to money.