PDA

View Full Version : Keyboards On Headless Cross

ozzy_is_king
03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not a member of Hell's Angels, I just thought the name sounded cool. It was too late when I realized what i did and what Hell's Angels was. Hell, I don't even own a motorcycle. Anyway...

Did anyone besides me actually like the keyboards on the Headless Cross album? I find them rather interesting. It actually makes the album sound scary unlike all the Slayer stuff I listen too. Everyone I talk to says the keyboards are what make the album suck.

What do you guys think?

Petoria000
03-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Well pretty much any fan of slayer isnt going to like the slick 80s sound, especially when its awash with keyboards.

Personally, I think they're fitting on Headless Cross. It definitely gives Headless Cross and Black Moon an advantage.

David86
03-28-2006, 10:58 PM
I think they belong in there as much as the drums. I like them.

Ray Rules
03-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Well man, Geoff Nichols kick a bunch of asses. Sabbath lost a very important member when they gave Geoff a ride, but, what we can do? I'm happy about his actual work with the Bold Brother, and that's why I'll write a report about Geoff for my first note section on a argentinian Heavy Metal magazine.

RF
03-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Devil & Daughter Live (esp Copenhagen 89) has a really prominent keyboard sound, that actually sounds damn good.

Rover
03-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Never understood that anti-Keyboard sentiment, in the first place. No Sabbath song ever had a keyboard solo or a guitar-organ duel (or am I mistaken?), so why do some people keep scoring hits even at the simple "texturing" keyboard sound? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Clay
03-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Why does so many people think that a keybord or synt makes the music soft? I really lika the Headless Cross album and its produktion. Isīt it "the sabbath sound" that we want? I think that it was very right when it came out and it still sounds great to me.

Prezuiwf
03-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I think the album would sound unnatural without the keyboards. Geoff Nichols is a genius at the keys; his contribution was definitely a positive one.

M Williams
03-29-2006, 01:35 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ozzy_is_king
03-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Davids right, Geoff Nichols kicks ass. The thing that gets me is why didn't they ever count him as an original member? I'm a big fan of the ozzy era stuff but I also have Heaven and Hell and Headless Cross. It has him off to the side, it doesn't have him on the main members list. Was he ever counted as an official member?

Guillesab
03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, he is not an "original" member, and he was never counted as a member, except maybe for the Seventh Star era, but he was even out of stage the most of the time. He have played bass on one charity show in ī88, too.

David86
03-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Management kept BSing about Sabbath having to be a four-piece band. That's why he wasn't reconised as a full member of the band until Cross Purposes.

Ray Rules
03-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Think with me... imagine a pie. Four pieces of pie, have bigger pieces than fice pieces... now, transform that pie in a mont of money. That explain a lot of thing..

firefly7
04-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Headless Cross is my least favorite Sabbath album for two reasons. First, the lyrics in my opinion are awful. And the keyboards, are just too prominent...it takes away from the guitars.

bruce190
04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the album would sound unnatural without the keyboards. Geoff Nichols is a genius at the keys; his contribution was definitely a positive one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

racer
04-18-2006, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Management kept BSing about Sabbath having to be a four-piece band. That's why he wasn't reconised as a full member of the band until Cross Purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was recognized on Seventh Star, wasn't he? He was onstage during the tour.

David86
04-19-2006, 12:19 AM
That is correct. Dunno why though, maybe because it was supposed to be Tony solo... but then again they forced him to call it Black sabbath. Strange management decisions...

racer
04-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Yeah ... strange to say the least. Black Sabbath has suffered from improper management nearly its entire career.

The record company forced the Black Sabbath label on Seventh Star, just as they may have done with Heaven and Hell, which originally was supposed to be a new band simply called "Sabbath."

David86
04-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Really? That's news to me, I only knew that Tony & Dio would be forming a band but then they just brought back Bill and Geezer and called it Black Sabbath.

racer
04-19-2006, 01:12 AM
I forget where I read that ... perhaps Joe can shed some light on it. But apparently H&H originally was just going to be a "Sabbath" album, not Black Sabbath.

Echoes
04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words, El Prezzy. As much as I love the riffs Iommi comes up with, sometimes adding keyboards over them can give them more power of sorts. When placed in the right places, the keys do a wonderul job of creating an atmosphere. Along with this, TYR would lose its appealing luster, IMO, without Nicholls' input.

Ray Rules
04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words, El Prezzy. As much as I love the riffs Iommi comes up with, sometimes adding keyboards over them can give them more power of sorts. When placed in the right places, the keys do a wonderul job of creating an atmosphere. Along with this, TYR would lose its appealing luster, IMO, without Nicholls' input.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I'm afraid of my cover version for Anno Mundi, which will be recorded soon.. I just canīt find a keyboard dude, and man, Anno Mundi isn't Anno Mundi without the key!