PDA

View Full Version : Official Tony Martin-on-Tour Thread

Niklas
04-13-2006, 05:55 AM
I saw Tony Martin and Geoff Nichols' band live last night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
BEST GOD DAMN GIG EVER!!
He played the following songs (Not in order):

The Eternal Idol
Law Maker
The Shining
Battle of Tyr
Odin's Court
Valhalla
Headless Cross
Devil and Daughter
When Death Calls
I Witness
Dying for Love
Hand that rocks the Cradle
Scream
Raising Hell
War Pigs
Children of the Sea

Man, it was so awesome...
After the show I got the opportunity to shake hands
and say hi to Mr Martin and Mr Nichols in a secluded corner.
I also got my Tyr LP signed, and his new album 'Scream' 2005

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tony and Geoff are both great musicians with huge talent and skill.
The best concerts I've ever been to in my life was this one last night at the Rockland, Sweden, and the other was Black Sabbath Live at the Globe last summer.
That's all for me, for the moment.

Guys, please share your stories! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-= Tony Martin On Tour 2006 =-

Rover
04-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Still only 2 of his own song... and War Pigs! Looks like he doesn't take the point. Well, people will keep thinking he has nothing of his own to offer, and he's just a "cheap copy of real Sabbath" (per someone's words).

Prezuiwf
04-13-2006, 06:39 AM
I think his setlist is pathetic in a way. First he tried to escape the Sabbath image, now he plays it up like it's all he's got going for him. A few Sabbath songs in his set would be great, but he's got so much material to draw from that it's insane to play any more than 4 or 5 Sab songs, tops.

Sir Kenneth
04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Didn't he say, in reply to Rover's review of a concert of his, that the emphasis on the Sabbath material was only till Scream had become more widely available? (or something like that)

Rover
04-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes, something like that.
Now that Scream is in stores even out here (saw a few copies on Sunday), I don't know how more widely available it has to be.

Just out of curiousity... anyone knows what Dio's setlist was back on the Holy Diver tour?

War Pigs, what a joke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif

Niklas
04-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Not really, he said he sang War Pigs and Children of the Sea
to honor Dio and Ozzy, as he's a big fan of both of them.

Guillesab
04-13-2006, 09:38 AM
He plays what the company lets him play, and maybe for a world tour is easy to present "the best of Black Sabbath" than something like a "Scream World Tour"
But I agree, war pigs is the worst choise.
We all would love to see more Scream songs in there, because that album captures the esence of the 1987-1995 Sabbath.

Guillesab
04-13-2006, 09:39 AM
BTW, this thread belongs to "side solo and related"

doomride
04-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I could never warm uo to Tony Martin...I recognize his talent,but there is just something Spinal-Tapish about his vocals...

firefly7
04-13-2006, 10:46 AM
I kind of know what you mean. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the power metal, High vibrato, epic style vocals which Tony Martin displays on his first 3 efforts with Black Sabbath. That's why I lean towards Cross Purposes and Forbidden as my favorite of the Martin era which there is less of it. Don't get me wrong I love all 5 releases with Martin he's a great talent.

Psycho Man
04-13-2006, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think his setlist is pathetic in a way. First he tried to escape the Sabbath image, now he plays it up like it's all he's got going for him. A few Sabbath songs in his set would be great, but he's got so much material to draw from that it's insane to play any more than 4 or 5 Sab songs, tops.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying you wouldn't want to see that? I'd chop my arm off to hear that.

Prezuiwf
04-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Well if you're comparing hearing the Sabbath list to not seeing the tour at all, then yes, I'd rather hear the Sabbath setlist. But when he can dig into Misha Calvin, The Cage, Empire, Giuntini Project, his solo work, Forcefield, Phenomena, and Rondinelli, there's no reason why he should relegate himself to just Sabbath.

Oh, and before you say anything, I know his explanation for not doing any Misha Calvin stuff. But I don't think it makes any sense. He's pissed because he and his old bands wrote the songs and then didn't see any money or credit from it. Well, performing them live WOULD allow him to get money and recognition for his work. So his attitude toward that material doesn't seem logical to me.

Greenstang
04-13-2006, 05:53 PM
We must consider:

95 % of people at the show have never listened to martin's music. They know and love sabbath music, but maybe only some tyr or headless cross songs.

The rest of the guys is us, on the sabbath forums, listening to all the solo & side projects that martin have done in the past.

Play non-sabbath stuff and there is 10 guys in the audience (but we have a hell of a night!). The tour is cancelled due to poor sales.

So its simple. You do a tour, you attract people, you make money, the people back home do internet search on Tony Martin, discovers that he have sings on many others classic albums, buy the empire, giuntini, calvin, rondinelli, phenomena albums, Martin makes more money, so can do a new martin album. On next tour maybe do an empire song or giuntini and so on.

Michel

Sir Kenneth
04-13-2006, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We must consider:

95 % of people at the show have never listened to martin's music. They know and love sabbath music, but maybe only some tyr or headless cross songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely doubt that that is the case. The majority casual Sabbath listeners (the people who make up most of the Ozzfest audience for example) who just want to hear Iron Man and Paranoid while getting hammered probably don't even know who Tony Martin is. Which means that they probably won't exactly stand in line outside the venue to see him play.

Of all the singers Sabbath has had over the years, Tony Martin is probably the one with the largest percentage of dedicated listeners in his fan base. so of all the Sabbath singers, he's the one who has the audience who'd be most receptive of new or more unknown material.

Prezuiwf
04-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Exactly, Sir Kenneth. If you listen to Martin-era material, you're no fair-weather fan.

Echoes
04-13-2006, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sincerely doubt that that is the case. The majority casual Sabbath listeners (the people who make up most of the Ozzfest audience for example) who just want to hear Iron Man and Paranoid while getting hammered probably don't even know who Tony Martin is. Which means that they probably won't exactly stand in line outside the venue to see him play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Greenstang was referring specifically to the people at Tony Martin concerts. The ones who do go to see him probably know his Sabbath material better than the other side projects he's done. But it's true. He could add a few more songs outside of Sab.

Sir Kenneth
04-13-2006, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Greenstang was referring specifically to the people at Tony Martin concerts. The ones who do go to see him probably know his Sabbath material better than the other side projects he's done. But it's true. He could add a few more songs outside of Sab.

[/ QUOTE ]

So was I, and my point was that people who go to Tony Martin concerts probably know a bit more than just a couple of songs from Headless Cross.

born to lose
04-16-2006, 03:44 PM
I was at the concert in Linkoping april 14. As far as i remember they played all the songs listed except for War Pigs. It was a bit sad that less then 50 people attended the show!!! It was more like 30!

Well, no wonder people didn´t show up because it wasn´t announced until less than a week before. In fact i had tickets for the april 13 gig in Vaxjo 270 km from were i live and just found out that he was gonna play in my hometown. There was just no advertising at all. So badly managed!

It was an obviously frustrated Tony to enter the stage and he said that it was the smallest stage his ever been on. But the band did the best they could to make it a good show, i think. He ones lifted he´s glasses with the comment: oh, you ARE more then 10 people in the audience!! (But not many more, my comment).

For pictures look at this place: web page (http://www.visit.se/~trysberg/)

I had a chat with Geoff after the show and he was a really nice person. Tony just went off stage and disappered backstage. For me it was really great to here this songs live and be able to stand so close to my heroes and i took many pictures and recorded the whole show with my mp3-player. Can´t deny that i felt a bit embarrased for Tony and the band and it is a fucking shame they don´t get the recognition they deserve. Not that night anyway.

UnderTheSun
04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Niklas Swe, where did you see him?

I live in Växjö myself but I was on a ski trip and missed him.

I agree 100% what you said Born To Lose, it was barly no commercial at all. All there was was a poster, nothing more. In entire Växjö (or ateleast all the places I've been to wich is pretty much all), and they took it down about a week before the show too! It feels like they don't want to have an audiance. I don't know anyone who went to the show, but I hope someone did.

Niklas
04-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I saw Tony at the Rockland in Växsjö!

UnderTheSun
04-16-2006, 04:57 PM
You live in Stockholm and saw him in Växjö? Sounds a bit strange. You didn't happend to record the show? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Niklas
04-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Actually, Växsjö was the closest TM-event /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Nah, I was so excited to see him, never thought about that.

Dracula
04-22-2006, 12:37 PM
I think the set-list is killer. I know that he could be playing more songs from his own records, but Sabbath never played much of Martin era, so this is the perfect opportunity for us to hear those classics in a live format.

Adam
04-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Well some of you are pretty tough on Tony Martin. Well, it's your right but please remember he has to start somewhere. I think it is good to start with Sabbath thing. Consider it as warming up plus a tribute. In near future he will add more his solo songs, I think.

Rover
04-23-2006, 07:46 AM
He already promised that, and where's he at now? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Sabbath tunes both times when I heard him play (except for maybe the tracks like Paranoid, Devil & Daughter and War Pigs that I don't care for), but he's on a road to nowhere.

That's why I was wondering - what did Dio start with on the Holy Diver tour?

UnderTheSun
04-23-2006, 09:28 AM
He's barly getting an audiance with the Sabbath songs, do you think he would with more solo songs?

Prezuiwf
04-23-2006, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's barly getting an audiance with the Sabbath songs, do you think he would with more solo songs?

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true, it's not exactly like he's packing full houses with his current shows anyway. It's not like he would drop from playing to 7,000 people to playing for 700 people-- he might lose a few uninterested people and keep the attention of the majority of the fans, who know more of his work outside of Sabbath.

It's not like an Ozzy-era Sabbath "fan" who goes to the concerts because he knows Iron Man, War Pigs, and Paranoid. There's no such thing as a similar Martin-era fan who, for example, only knows the band for When Death Calls, The Shining, and Anno Mundi. If you're a Martin-era fan, it's because you own all Sabbath albums (or plan to) and are genuinely interested in the music.

Guillesab
04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true, it's not exactly like he's packing full houses with his current shows anyway. It's not like he would drop from playing to 7,000 people to playing for 700 people-- he might lose a few uninterested people and keep the attention of the majority of the fans, who know more of his work outside of Sabbath.

It's not like an Ozzy-era Sabbath "fan" who goes to the concerts because he knows Iron Man, War Pigs, and Paranoid. There's no such thing as a similar Martin-era fan who, for example, only knows the band for When Death Calls, The Shining, and Anno Mundi. If you're a Martin-era fan, it's because you own all Sabbath albums (or plan to) and are genuinely interested in the music.

[/ QUOTE ]

And maybe the guys who went to his shows didn´t knew the setlist before the concerts, so they went to see Tony, no matter if there is or there is not sabbath songs on the setlist.

rar
04-23-2006, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly, Sir Kenneth. If you listen to Martin-era material, you're no fair-weather fan.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is exactly true, because when Tony Martin was with Sabbath, they probably weren't as popular as they were with Ozzy right? Clearly. If you listen to and enjoy Tony Martin material, you've most likely heard Ozzy and Dio material, and you're a true fan of Sabbath. Like moi fo example /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif lol

That set-list really isn't pleasing at all. He could've added at least a couple more songs of his own to it...geez... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif

rar
04-23-2006, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He already promised that, and where's he at now? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Sabbath tunes both times when I heard him play (except for maybe the tracks like Paranoid, Devil & Daughter and War Pigs that I don't care for), but he's on a road to nowhere.

That's why I was wondering - what did Dio start with on the Holy Diver tour?

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean start with? are you referring to his very first solo tour or the upcoming release Holy Diver Live? (May 30, 2006)

Rover
04-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Of course I mean the Holy Diver tour of 1983. I guess he played H&H and Mob Rules, Long Live Rock'n'Roll and Man on the Silver Mountain, but the rest must have been his own brand-new songs. But last time I saw him his setlist was awful.

Tony is just driving himself into the ground. The crowd doesn't know the new songs? This is a LAME excuse. Play them and make them known! No great hits have arisen just because they are on the album - they need to be played live! (makes me wonder how many would-be Sabbath hits have remained relatively unknown because Sabbath was playing their Awful 8 and just a few new songs each tour).

UnderTheSun
04-24-2006, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't drawing 7000 people right now, not here in Sweden, I would say about 150.

David86
04-24-2006, 10:24 AM
He didn't really mean 7000, it could very well be 1000, 100, or whatever. The assistance of people at his gigs is not going to drop significantly just because he's not playing Sabbath numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
he might lose a few uninterested people and keep the attention of the majority of the fans, who know more of his work outside of Sabbath.

[/ QUOTE ]

UnderTheSun
04-24-2006, 10:36 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif

You're right.

rar
05-21-2006, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could never warm up to Tony Martin...I recognize his talent,but there is just something Spinal-Tapish about his vocals...

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, except i don't know what spinal tap is...but there's something about his voice i couldn't warm up to like with the way ozzy and dio sang (though i think he may have more range...not sure)

Sir Kenneth
05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could never warm up to Tony Martin...I recognize his talent,but there is just something Spinal-Tapish about his vocals...

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, except i don't know what spinal tap is...but there's something about his voice i couldn't warm up to like with the way ozzy and dio sang (though i think he may have more range...not sure)

[/ QUOTE ]

Go buy Spinal Tap. Right now. Noone should consider themself a true metalhead before they have experienced the genius which is Spinal Tap hehe.