PDA

View Full Version : Martin's voice ranking?

Raven Rider
05-19-2006, 02:59 AM
Martin's voice ranking?
I give his voice 10/10

Petoria000
05-19-2006, 06:03 AM
9/10, hes got an amazing range that could fit any sabbath song perfectly

El Lobo
05-19-2006, 07:16 AM
11/10. I agree that he's got a great range, but this is not everything. The best sing about the way he sings is his melody lines and phrasing. The man could easily sing death metal with *melody* if only he tried.

Even if his phrasing sometimes reminds of Dio's phrasing, he always add something extra-interesting to the way he sings. I've always enjoyed more Children of the see by Martin than by Dio. He adds an extra bluesy tone to that song that Ronnie could'nt add to save his live.

Another thing about Tony is his versatility. The man has many voices:

* A nasal high tone: Overload (the cage)
* The Dio voice : Balance of power (The cage)
* The power metalish one : Sacifice (Guiuntini)
* The bluesy one: Carrie (Forcefield)
* The epic one: Odins court

oh, and for those who have listen to his last album (empire's Raven ride), his voice is trully amazing. I think the last song "The devil speaks, the sinner cries" must be the highlight of his entire carreer.

Ray Rules
05-19-2006, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
11/10. I agree that he's got a great range, but this is not everything. The best sing about the way he sings is his melody lines and phrasing. The man could easily sing death metal with *melody* if only he tried.

Even if his phrasing sometimes reminds of Dio's phrasing, he always add something extra-interesting to the way he sings. I've always enjoyed more Children of the see by Martin than by Dio. He adds an extra bluesy tone to that song that Ronnie could'nt add to save his live.

Another thing about Tony is his versatility. The man has many voices:

* A nasal high tone: Overload (the cage)
* The Dio voice : Balance of power (The cage)
* The power metalish one : Sacifice (Guiuntini)
* The bluesy one: Carrie (Forcefield)
* The epic one: Odins court

oh, and for those who have listen to his last album (empire's Raven ride), his voice is trully amazing. I think the last song "The devil speaks, the sinner cries" must be the highlight of his entire carreer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agre totally with you man... he's the best just like Ray.
Talking about his new album, I'm listening to Que Es La Vida... is one of the best songs of the 2000 century man, what a AMAZING song and singing!

bruce190
05-19-2006, 10:18 AM
9/10 Martin's voice is awesome. It's almost perfect.

M Williams
05-19-2006, 10:57 AM
10/10. The guy is a phenomenal singer!

Sir Kenneth
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
7 out of 10. I have to admit that his range is great, but that slightly "hoarse" sound he has to his voice sort of ruins it a bit for me and makes me think of Bryan Adams (moreso on the albums where he went for a more modest vocal approach like Cross Purposes)

Also, he does not have the most powerful voice in the world and sounds a bit light and frail at most times. I think that's where he falls flat compared to Dio (or Messiah Marcolin) who both have really powerful and big sounding voices.

Psycho Man
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
10/10. The guy is a phenomenal singer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Niklas
05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
10/10

Nibby
05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
7/10

Range. That is what he have got. Great range. But nothing more. Very booring voice without any real feel. But he's a good singer. Just nothing extraordinary.

Martin rules
05-19-2006, 12:52 PM
10/10
20/20
30/30
100%/100%
I'll give Martin the biggest rank all time long.
His voice is amazing, great range, and a nice feeling.
Martin's voice is absolute special.

Guillesab
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
10/10 I love his voice.

Bills Fan
05-19-2006, 06:10 PM
12/10.

El Lobo
05-19-2006, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Talking about his new album, I'm listening to Que Es La Vida... is one of the best songs of the 2000 century man, what a AMAZING song and singing!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to Que es la vida right now. What a GREAT song! Actually I am very impressed with this Giuntini album. Giuntini II took some time to grow in me, but Giuntini III I liked from the first listening.

The next song in the album Early warnings is a great one too.

gunman42782
05-19-2006, 07:10 PM
9/10

Ray Rules
05-19-2006, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to Que es la vida right now. What a GREAT song! Actually I am very impressed with this Giuntini album. Giuntini II took some time to grow in me, but Giuntini III I liked from the first listening.

The next song in the album Early warnings is a great one too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed brother! Man, this is a AMAZING album, kicks The Cage 2 in the butt several times... " I'm gonna sufocate if I donīt a way, to be free of you.. I Need a early warning! ".. Just amazing man! If you want to know how I love this album, I've in my mp3 player: Giuntini III, Badlands - Badlands, Badlands - Voodoo Highway, Badlands - Dusk... and since last monday Giuntini is in Repeat Folder!

Man, now I know why he avoid the high notes in shows.. 'cause he save it for the studio.. holy motherfucker mom of christ, WHAT A VOICE!..

Dracula
05-20-2006, 10:27 PM
10/10. Tony Martin is one of my fav singer ever.

Ashley Dalby
05-21-2006, 11:50 AM
100/10

Tony Martin has everything everyone else has said about his voice too. Plus he has a profound sexiness to his voice, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

He will remain in my top three favourite singers of all time, only beaten out by Jon Oliva and Elton John. And I guess it's no surprise that his era with Sabbath is my favourite.

maiden2007
05-23-2006, 06:50 PM
10/10

Ray Rules
05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
So, the conclusion is.. Tony Martin is the best when its about Sabbath!

M Williams
05-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Yes!!!

Kgb
05-25-2006, 01:53 AM
I would give him 9.8/10.
just 0.2 less than ozzy....

Nightwing
05-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Id say a 9 out of 10 on record, from the shows I have seen (even though he was supposedly ill), Id say a 6 out of 10 at best. Keep in mind though I didn't see him live except for 94 and 95. Previous years I have heard he was 10x better live on stage.

Still my favorite Sabbath singer, though.

El Lobo
05-25-2006, 01:47 PM
well, download the boot headless in Vienna and you'll see :-)

Ray Rules
05-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Better, download Martin singing Black Sabbath at Osaka 1989 show... just PERFECT

DieYoung
05-25-2006, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
100/10

Tony Martin has everything everyone else has said about his voice too. Plus he has a profound sexiness to his voice, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

He will remain in my top three favourite singers of all time, only beaten out by Jon Oliva and Elton John. And I guess it's no surprise that his era with Sabbath is my favourite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything you say here - not sure about the sexiness though, maybe passion is how I would describe it! Just getting into some of Tony's side projects and his range is amazing. Still think Scream is the best album of the year so far! Its on continuous repeat in my car at the moment. Waiting for "The Raven Ride" to be delivered and looking forward to that as love the last Empire album especially "Did You Ever Love Me" and Giuntini III. Some great tracks on that too.

And finally - I agree with you on the ranking of Jon Oliva. Love all his stuff from Savatage through Doctor Butcher to Pain - awesome singer with the greatest range I have heard. Woudl have loved to have seen him and his brother in concert!

M Williams
05-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Indeed, Scream is the best album of the year IMO too. I've regularly listened to it for a few months now.

Dio
05-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm not responding here to stir trouble (even though I know El Lobo will find it hard to resist commenting) but Tony's voice just does nothing for me.

I would rate him a 4/10.

Why you ask? He undoubtedly can sing and yes, he does have range but that doesn't make a good singer in my book. Singers like Bon Scott, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash and Ozzy have far less range and ability yet sing with much more emotion and passion.

Note - I have only heard his Black Sabbath material, not his solo stuff. I think the material is the main problem as the songs and lyrics are pretty poor, so his solo stuff could redeem him.

The only album that I feel he sings half decent on is Forbidden (particularly the song ' can't get close enough' which I love) as this album sounds more like a band, rather than indiciduals waiting for a pay check with Tony stuck over the top at the last minute.

It may not be the case in reality (I know Tony has stated that he didn't like his vocal performance on this album) but that's sure what it sounds like to me.

Headless Cross is just unlistenable because of it's ridiculous lyrics and the way Tony over sings every note.

Good luck to those who like him, I just can't understand how so many think he has so many strong vocal traits to rate him so high.

BTW - I would not rate any vocalist as a 10 as I still haven't heard the perfect one but ones I give a high rating to are Elvis Presley, Freddy Mercury, Mike Patton, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell and Kari.

El Lobo
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not responding here to stir trouble (even though I know El Lobo will find it hard to resist commenting) but Tony's voice just does nothing for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no. NOW you are talking like the Nobel Prize winner in litterature that you really are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Serioulsly NOW I can agree with you and accept your opinion, but when you forget the royal blue blood that your majesty poseses and begin talking like the very lowest ruffian instead... and begin telling that your opinions are facts and the others opinions are crap... well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

oh, and BTW, I think hat C. Cornell sings like if he was on the bathroom crapping... But hey, opinions are opinions :-)

Sir Kenneth
05-26-2006, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would rate him a 4/10.

Why you ask? He undoubtedly can sing and yes, he does have range but that doesn't make a good singer in my book. Singers like Bon Scott, Nick Cave, Johnny Cash and Ozzy have far less range and ability yet sing with much more emotion and passion.

Note - I have only heard his Black Sabbath material, not his solo stuff. I think the material is the main problem as the songs and lyrics are pretty poor, so his solo stuff could redeem him.

The only album that I feel he sings half decent on is Forbidden (particularly the song ' can't get close enough' which I love) as this album sounds more like a band, rather than indiciduals waiting for a pay check with Tony stuck over the top at the last minute.

It may not be the case in reality (I know Tony has stated that he didn't like his vocal performance on this album) but that's sure what it sounds like to me.

Headless Cross is just unlistenable because of it's ridiculous lyrics and the way Tony over sings every note.

Good luck to those who like him, I just can't understand how so many think he has so many strong vocal traits to rate him so high.

BTW - I would not rate any vocalist as a 10 as I still haven't heard the perfect one but ones I give a high rating to are Elvis Presley, Freddy Mercury, Mike Patton, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell and Kari.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whereas I do not disagree with much of what you said, I do think only giving him 4 for his vocal performance is a bit harsh. It isn't his lyrics or the music written during his time in the band we're rating here, but simply his voice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ray Rules
05-26-2006, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Cornell?... Cīmon!
Layney Staley?... Give Me a FUCKING Break..

Man, are you brain dead?.. YOu say Ozzy have emotion on his voice and I can respect that, but WHERE THE FUCKING HELL is bad if you can sing every fucking note? You prefer a teleprompter and pure babling and overdubing?.. No, serious, you should see a doctor. You want somebody better than Martin? For me it's aceptable if you say Ray Gillen, Glenn Hughes or even Dio ( which I found so boring ).. But you list those fucking grunge and crap music exemples?..

No, serious man, you're not braindead. You're just a genius... tell me, did you do any college to be that smart or it was just the bless of the nature? I bet that Einstein will salut you when you die!

Psycho Man
05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
settle down man

Ray Rules
05-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Impossible. I'm just done with those Ozzy Army fans..

Psycho Man
05-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I understand but sadly I was one of them not too long ago

Ray Rules
05-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I was one too, but at least I never liked Layney Staley

Psycho Man
05-26-2006, 04:17 PM
lol

M Williams
05-26-2006, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was one too, but at least I never liked Layney Staley

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nelson.gif

Guillesab
05-26-2006, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But you list those fucking grunge and crap music exemples?..

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, hey, hey! I love mike pattonīs voice! heīs great, cīmon!
For the others, i donīt care (who the f*ck is Layney staley or whatever? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif)

Sir Kenneth
05-26-2006, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Cornell?... Cīmon!
Layney Staley?... Give Me a FUCKING Break..

Man, are you brain dead?.. YOu say Ozzy have emotion on his voice and I can respect that, but WHERE THE FUCKING HELL is bad if you can sing every fucking note? You prefer a teleprompter and pure babling and overdubing?.. No, serious, you should see a doctor. You want somebody better than Martin? For me it's aceptable if you say Ray Gillen, Glenn Hughes or even Dio ( which I found so boring ).. But you list those fucking grunge and crap music exemples?..

No, serious man, you're not braindead. You're just a genius... tell me, did you do any college to be that smart or it was just the bless of the nature? I bet that Einstein will salut you when you die!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nice to see. Someone makes a long post, explaining why he does not like Tony Martin, backing his arguments with his feelings about the music, and the second he does so, someone stands ready to flame him...

Ray Rules
05-26-2006, 07:24 PM
You made me think, Sir Keneth. I donīt like Tony Martin anymore... why? He is bald, and if you donīt have hair you canīt bang your head properly, so you aren't a true headbanger. Long live Ozzy!

Psycho Man
05-26-2006, 07:48 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nelson.gif

Ray Rules
05-26-2006, 08:56 PM
I imaginer how Tony Martin would sound singing a Badlands song... Like High Wire!

amirmahdavi
05-27-2006, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You made me think, Sir Keneth. I donīt like Tony Martin anymore... why? He is bald, and if you donīt have hair you canīt bang your head properly, so you aren't a true headbanger. Long live Ozzy!

[/ QUOTE ]
you know,Rob Halford is balder than every singer but he is one of Greatests vocalists of the world...
i give tony 7/10

Wowbagger42
05-28-2006, 07:01 AM
10/10

His voice is very confident, articulate, straightforward, and yet full of emotion

JEFFMETAL
05-28-2006, 11:27 AM
7,5. Live, he do not reach the range and high notes as on the studio versions of the songs, but i like him anyway. Recorded some of my fave Sabbath albums.

Dio
05-28-2006, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Impossible. I'm just done with those Ozzy Army fans..

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you didn't notice I didn't even have Ozzy in my favourite list....

Layne is in there because I think he has great depth in his voice and he sings with emotion and passion, both on studio recordings and particularly live. As I mentioned I rate these much higher in what I want from a singer than a perfect range and textbook reproduction.

Fuki
05-28-2006, 12:20 PM
His voice is good. But my favorite Singer is still Ozzy. And i think Tony's voice isn't the right for a Heavy MEtal Group. But because in fact the voice is good, igive 7,5/10

UnderTheSun
05-29-2006, 10:17 AM
10/10

I think he is the most passionate singer that ever been into Black Sabbath.
And let's not forget about the range.

I think I could call him my favorite singer.

Deathrider
06-03-2006, 08:05 AM
11/10 my favorite singer with Freddie Mercury. Martin has everything in his voice, range, passion, soul, feeling, technic...
By the way, what is Tony Martin's range? I know for exemple that Freddie Mercury's range is 3.5 octave.

diozzy
06-26-2006, 04:29 PM
tony martin sounds great in studio but live on leaves lots to deserve.

Still Im Sad
07-02-2006, 05:44 AM
11/10 The best vocalist and song writer Sabbath ever had...

Guillesab
07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tony martin sounds great in studio but live on leaves lots to deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree if youīre talking of the CP tour, or the COzy Powellīs Hammer gig in 1992. But in TEI, HC and Tyr tours he sounds amazing live, and in the Scream tour he is just brilliant.

Guillesab
07-02-2006, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I imaginer how Tony Martin would sound singing a Badlands song... Like High Wire!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you? I really canīt imagine anybody else on high wire.

Ray Rules
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Well man... I think that if ANYONE can do that, that person is Tony Martin... I mean, check his version for Eternal Idol... TM did it with a lot of balls!