PDA

View Full Version : A clone? WTF

maiden2007
05-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I keep reading in several size that Martin is a Dio clone. I don't see any resemblance in Dio's and Martin's voice. Dios voice is "harder" (don't know how to describe it). Martin's voice if more soulfull. Dio's singing is more in the middle range. Martin sings often higher and can sing both lower and higher than Dio. I can recognize both singers whenever I hear them, it's not like one is a clone of the other. So why people keep saying that?

Petoria000
05-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah I never understood the Dio comparison either. I guess if anything, he's a Ray Gillen clone, seeing as how that was his job when he was hired for The Eternal Idol.

El Lobo
05-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Well, Tony ***CAN*** sound a bit like Dio sometimes. I agree, his natural voice is nothing like Ronnie's. Dario Mollo said in an interview that he wanted Martin to do his Dio voice, just for fun in one song on Cage II. That song was Balance of power, and yes, it sounds like Dio, especially in the phrasing, but the other songs in that same album sound nothing like Dio.

Martin says that his favorite vocalist and maybe greatest influence is Glenn Hughes. His voice is once again very different to Glenn's but you can hear that they both have that special vibratto thingy at the end of the words that has been Glenn's trade mark for years.

So no, he's not a clon, but a singer with such a versatil voice that he can do Children of the sea in the exactly same registry than Ronnie (and for my taste, even better, but that is my opinion), and then right away sing Eternal Idol in the same registry than Gillen, and then sing Heart like a wheel like Glenn and then When death calls like nobody else :-)

Psycho Man
05-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I think Dio can get higher than Martin

El Lobo
05-27-2006, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Dio can get higher than Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

Nahhh. Nightwing?

Prezuiwf
05-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Dio's range is not as good as Martin's. You may like his voice better (and many people do, that's certainly a matter of opinion) but I don't think Dio's range has ever matched TM's.

As for whether TM is a Dio clone, I've always been puzzled at that as well. I once had a teacher who loved Sabbath and told me he thought Martin sounded the most like Dio on Tyr. That's an odd thought, as in my opinion that was the period in which Tony's voice was at its most powerful and definitive.

Ray Rules
05-28-2006, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, Tony ***CAN*** sound a bit like Dio sometimes. I agree, his natural voice is nothing like Ronnie's. Dario Mollo said in an interview that he wanted Martin to do his Dio voice, just for fun in one song on Cage II. That song was Balance of power, and yes, it sounds like Dio, especially in the phrasing, but the other songs in that same album sound nothing like Dio.

Martin says that his favorite vocalist and maybe greatest influence is Glenn Hughes. His voice is once again very different to Glenn's but you can hear that they both have that special vibratto thingy at the end of the words that has been Glenn's trade mark for years.

So no, he's not a clon, but a singer with such a versatil voice that he can do Children of the sea in the exactly same registry than Ronnie (and for my taste, even better, but that is my opinion), and then right away sing Eternal Idol in the same registry than Gillen, and then sing Heart like a wheel like Glenn and then When death calls like nobody else :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.
I said to my band mates that I prefer Martin than Dio, and the answer was "Are you out of yuour fucking mind? Did you ever heard the Cross Purposes Live cd?".. my answer "And did you ever heard Cage I, II, Phenomena, Rondinelli, Scream and Giuntini?".. "Ahm... no".. "So, shut the fuck up, Martin is way better"

rar
05-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I think Ian Gillan can get higher than the both of them (Heaven and Hell from the Born Again Tour)

Ray Rules
05-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, but in these days, Martin and Dio can sing, Gillan donīt..

Prezuiwf
05-29-2006, 12:46 AM
If you take all of them in their heydays, Gillan definitely had the best range (see "Child In Time").

Ray Rules
05-29-2006, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you take all of them in their heydays, Gillan definitely had the best range (see "Child In Time").

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I just love that song, but I think when comes about technic, Martin wins... as Glenn said, "Gillan is a good screammer, Coverdale and I was singers, and that's what purple needed in 74"

Rover
05-29-2006, 03:42 AM
It's easy to put stamps on people and bands. Martin is a Dio clone, Sabbath is not Sabbath without Ozzy, etc. It takes a bit more effort to actually LISTEN and THINK, and this is beyond the capabilities of some people.

M Williams
05-29-2006, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to put stamps on people and bands. Martin is a Dio clone, Sabbath is not Sabbath without Ozzy, etc. It takes a bit more effort to actually LISTEN and THINK, and this is beyond the capabilities of some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, Rover!