PDA

View Full Version : New TM Interview

Ray Rules
07-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Tony Martin Interview
by Adam Harrold
www.tonymartin.net (http://www.tonymartin.net)

Site:Few people truly appreciate it, but Tony Martin was the lead singer of Black Sabbath for ten years. That’s longer than Ronnie James Dio, much, much longer than Ian Gillan and even longer than Ozzy Osbourne – if you exclude the years since the original Sabbath reunited in the late nineties. It’s also the amount of time that Tony Martin almost completely disappeared from the musical world.

Tony Martin:“Well I just didn’t want anything to with the lot of it. Fuck it,” the singer confirms, “Instead I had a family and then raised a family, got divorced, lost everything and so I had to start all over again. But so many people kept saying they loved the Sabbath albums I did with them and I realised that Dio and Ozzy had solo careers for years after their spells in Sabbath, so why shouldn’t I?”

Site:And that’s exactly what Martin did, finally returning from his time in the wilderness to release the well-received “Scream” album towards the end of last year. Add to that subsequent recordings for The Giuntini Project, Empire and Phenomena and it looks like the vocalist has well and truly returned.

Tony Martin:“Yeah, I’m back in the game,” enthuses Martin, “We’re currently in the throes of getting back on the road at the moment. The industry is now totally different to what it used to be like ten years ago and as such it’s a brand new battle to deal with. But I’m very pleased with the first year and how it’s gone for me.”

Site:And did he expect the album to go down so well?

Tony Martin:“No, I was very shocked, but it’s been great. I took comfort in the fact that people didn’t just throw it in the bin - but everyone seems to like it and nobody said that it was crap. That’s cool. I’m now back into it and that’s important. I mean, “Scream’s” a great album – but I can do better and that’s still to come. It was also good to work with my son.”

Site:Yes, you heard that correctly – with his son, guitarist Joe Harford [his father uses a stage name]. In fact, one of the many factors that made Martin pick up his microphone again was pressure from his children.

Tony Martin:“My kids have always had a strong interest in what I do and have been amongst the people that said I should get back out there,” says Martin before proudly adding, “Joe’s incredibly gifted and can play all the Iommi parts in the Sabbath songs perfectly – he’s just a great guitarist.”

Site:So were the other children jealous when they discovered their dad had recruited their brother in his band?

Tony Martin:“No it wasn’t like that at all – Joe just took it very seriously. Of my other children, two of them are too young and my other son, he plays the guitar but he’s not a player. The thing with Joe was that he took it very seriously from such a young age. When he was 14 he had already saved £1000 to buy a guitar just by doing paper rounds and working in newsagents - so I knew that he was dedicated back then. I think we went and bought him an Ibanez and he took it from there really.”

Site:So when his son was just picking up the guitar, Martin himself was just about ready to leave Sabbath and music behind. But during his stint with the metal mammoths, Martin recorded some decent albums – including the spectacular “Headless Cross” record (which was recently included in a list of the most underrated rock albums ever) – and Sabbath seemed to be steadying what had previously become an increasingly rocking ship. So what went wrong?

Tony Martin:“Me and Geoff Nicholls [Martin’s keyboardist and ex-Sabbath man] get asked about Sabbath a lot and we have kind of worked out this theory as to what happened,” explains Martin, “Basically, people forget that at the time I joined Sabbath that nobody wanted to work for them. They were badly in debt for a start, so they ended up going for an unknown person, which was me. I was 27 at the time and we did “Eternal Idol” and then “Headless Cross”, which starting seeing us get on top of it, and then “Tyr” as well. And at this time we were starting to do well in Europe and Japan – places that when Ozzy was in the band they hadn’t gone to before, because they solely concentrated on the UK and the USA. But me and Geoff think that they must have sensed the seeds of something good and that the ground work had been laid, so they decided to get Dio back. Only thing was, it didn’t work - people didn’t want it. So I came back again, but then there was “Forbidden” and the whole rap shit [a Martin and Ice T duet on the woeful “Illusion of Power” no less] and then Ozzy came back and that was that. And that put bums on seats, but the sad thing is that they’re still playing the same old songs from thirty years ago. And that’s annoying, don’t you think?”

SiteIndeed, legions of Sabbath fans would probably agree – but it’s those same fans that don’t necessarily know just how big a part of Black Sabbath Martin was, does that frustrate him?

Tony Martin:“Yeah, but then it’s almost as if I’ve been written out of the Sabbath history books and I don’t know why really. All the books seem to go up to Gillan and stop and then say that it was Ozzy Osbourne again. They seem to have removed those ten years. It wasn’t helped by me being absent for so long either, but it’s not just that people forget that I was in Sabbath for ten years, it’s that they’ve never told!”

Site:But now is the chance for Martin to do the telling. The singer and his band are soon off on a string of shows to spread the word – including Monsters of Rock in Bulgaria, Bang Your Head in Stuttgart and a special show in front of the Russian president’s brother!

Tony Martin:“We’re about to do a show in Russia – in the Kremlin in front of Putin’s brother,” laughs the singer, “There’s a famous Russian band that are retiring and they booked the inside of the Kremlin as a venue and wanted us to join them – they asked for us by name, so that will be a great show to go and play!”

Site:And fans will be pleased to note that he’s playing a varied two hour set on ever tour date.

Tony Martin:“I play the Sabbath years – mostly because nobody else is playing the Tony Martin Black Sabbath songs. Joe’s learnt most of the songs and we pull something off nearly all of the albums. I also play material from my first solo album and the two songs from Empire as well – to be honest we could play for five or six hours we have so much material.”

Site:So whilst Tony Martin may have been lying low for the best part of a decade, the message now is very strong indeed: he’s back. He’s back on the road, back playing those old Sabbath songs you never thought you’d hear live again, back making new albums and back showing off the voice that won him admirers in the first place. Let’s hope that it’s for good.

Source (http://rocksomething.com/features/featureTonyMartin.html)

Psycho Man
07-13-2006, 09:21 PM
thats fuckin great. I guess Ozzy's words are true "People are never dead in this business, out of the blue someone of 95 can come out with a great record"

Rover
07-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Except Putin doesn't have a brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm also wondering what could they be referring to when saying "There’s a famous Russian band that are retiring".

All in all, nice.

8bit Fighter
07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Cool.

Eternal Idol
07-14-2006, 06:10 AM
and then Ozzy came back and that was that. And that put bums on seats, but the sad thing is that they’re still playing the same old songs from thirty years ago. And that’s annoying, don’t you think?” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nelson.gif

I love it give them shit Tony ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif

Psycho Man
07-14-2006, 09:58 AM
and its all true. I think the bums he is refering to are old Sabbath geezers from the 70s who don't know aything past 1979

Rover
07-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Or the young fans fresh from watching The Osbournes.

rar
07-14-2006, 03:51 PM
no what he means by bums are the actual things that poo comes out of. he means that the places are getting filled. lol though I'm sure you guys knew that.

While you all know I'm not a Tony Martin preferer..(not a word but hey) I agree with some of what he says here. First of all, there was a thread awhile back showing TM's setlist and people were complaining that he was playing WAY too much Sabbath and only 2 of his own songs. Now he explains it, and I can't believe we didn't see it that way. He's right. Sabbath's not going to acknowledge the time period, so he might as well.

[ QUOTE ]
and then Ozzy came back and that was that. And that put bums on seats, but the sad thing is that they’re still playing the same old songs from thirty years ago. And that’s annoying, don’t you think?”
I love it give them shit Tony !

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree with you there. I'd like to hear some more Sabbath. Even if it's still only Ozzy era, at least some SBS or even TE or NSD...geez...

Niklas
07-15-2006, 05:56 AM
I agree too...

Ray Rules
07-18-2006, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have to agree with you there. I'd like to hear some more Sabbath. Even if it's still only Ozzy era, at least some SBS or even TE or NSD...geez..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes fucking indeed..