PDA

View Full Version : TONY MARTIN Says There Is 'No Fuckin' Chance' He Would

jackstripper
09-11-2006, 10:54 AM
TONY MARTIN Says There Is 'No Fuckin' Chance' He Would Sing For BLACK SABBATH Again

by: Dio Message Board - 2005-05-19 10:49:29

The Dio Message Board recently conducted an interview with former BLACK SABBATH singer Tony Martin. A few excerpts from the interview follow:

The Dio Message Board: With Glenn Hughes doing work on Tony Iommi's next solo project, I was wondering if there'd be any chance of you working with Iommi again in the future.

Tony Martin: "I don't know, I can't imagine it happening because I always said I wouldn't. That of course was in connection with BLACK SABBATH, but solo? I don't think so."

The Dio Message Board: When listening to various metal bands, I often find myself saying, "They could use someone like a Tony Martin." Having said that, I'm wondering if you would care to share with us which other bands have asked you to come aboard?

Tony Martin: "I recently got an invite from CANDLEMASS to try out, and it could have worked out quite good other than they were on a short fuse and ran out of time so they called up their old singer. The album turned out really good though."

The Dio Message Board: There are rumors about Ronnie James Dio leaving SABBATH during the "Dehumanizer" sessions and you joining the band for a couple of sessions before Ronnie came back again. Can you confirm it?

Tony Martin: "Yep, I was there, in fact somewhere on the Net I think someone has released a bootleg of the demos that I didů.NOT VERY NICE!!!"

The Dio Message Board: Would you ever do SABBATH again, or is it three times bitten, forever shy?

Tony Martin: "Once bitten, twice shy, third time no fuckin' chance!!!!"

The Dio Message Board: A little while back you were involved with Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody and joined their band which I'm guessing was due to your past connections with Neil Murray. What happened to instigate you leaving them, why didn't it work out?

Tony Martin: "Actually I went to talk to Bernie Marsden about my solo stuff and the conversation turned around to their stuff and he asked me if I'd like a go at it. It didn't really work because we are very different in most ways, from songs to the way they work. I found it frustrating that they couldn't tell me where and when we would be working, but they just get on with it. Love what they play but the songs were really for a different voice, and also I couldn't introduce any SABBATH stuff to the show, and I was coming to the realization that's what I was supposed to be doing. So it all got a bit messed up really until we had a huge row and that was it."

Read the entire interview in the "Don't Talk to Strangers" forum at The Dio Message Board (free registration required).

http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=news&id=896

turntostone
09-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for posting this- interesting interview.

rar
09-11-2006, 08:23 PM
we'll manage.

Rover
09-12-2006, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we'll manage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone would be OK with Ozzy lip-synching from a wheelchair, but we would have loved Sabbath to be a real deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Anyhow, this is no revelation that Tony Martin is steering clear of anything Tony Iommi now. It's Iommi's loss, he's not going to get a singer as good as Martin anymore. Partly because people see that he treats his bandmates like shit - always ready to dump some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After all, it's good that Tony M. has all those solo albums and side projects now. Bring on The Cage III and the follow-up to Scream!

KeepItWarm
09-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Imagine it... Tony Martin (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Glenn Hughes (bass & backing vocals), Eric Singer (drums), and Geoff Nichols (keyboards)... that would be a terrific project.
Too bad TM wouldn't rejoin Sabbath though. It would be good.

Gardener
09-12-2006, 03:31 AM
You can't blame him for not willing to work for Sabbath (or Iommi) anymore. I mean, when he came in for the "Eternal Idol" album, Iommi asked him to redo the vocals in only a week and try not to go too far from what Ray Gillen did (hence the unnatural way he sings some of the songs on the album).

After that, Tony Martin is the singer who made Sabbath stable and popular in Europe again during the following years, but Ronnie James Dio only had to give a blink of his eye to have Martin thanked. Then when things don't go well with Ronnie, Tony is brought back in only to be sent back home a few weeks later because the record company wanted Dio.

Then, when a singer is needed in 1993, Martin is called back again. At the end of the "Cross Purposes" tour, Sabbath is offered to play these South American shows, but they want the original line-up for this. So it's again goodbye Mr Martin. But when Ozzy decides he won't do it, guess who they call back ? Good Old Tony, of course.

And when the end of the "Forbidden" tour comes and Ozzy starts waving from far away, then it's time for Tony to go (again !).

I mean, this guy gave everything he had for the band, he contributed re-establishing Sabbath's name in Europe while Europe had been widely neglected for years, he is the second longest lasting singer of the band after Ozzy, but still Iommi, the band's management and the record company never considered him as something other than a mere replacement. Why would he want to go back there again ? Sure he's not even close from superstardom anymore, but at least he still records great music and gets the credit he deserves for it, while Sabbath since he was thrown out has turned into some kind of Las Vegas style nostalgia act.

Eternal Idol
09-12-2006, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we'll manage.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really must suck to be this guy ! Ohhh get some prozac dude ! Please !

Eternal Idol
09-12-2006, 06:23 AM
Also did anybody catch onto this ?Tony Martin: "Yep, I was there, in fact somewhere on the Net I think someone has released a bootleg of the demos that I didů.NOT VERY NICE!

Its outhere somewhere fellas !

Freddy the O
09-12-2006, 09:02 AM
It's possible that he just saw the title "Dehumanizer demos" somewhere and jumped to conclusions. If it is on the net, we would have known by now.

Ray Rules
09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't blame him for not willing to work for Sabbath (or Iommi) anymore. I mean, when he came in for the "Eternal Idol" album, Iommi asked him to redo the vocals in only a week and try not to go too far from what Ray Gillen did (hence the unnatural way he sings some of the songs on the album).

After that, Tony Martin is the singer who made Sabbath stable and popular in Europe again during the following years, but Ronnie James Dio only had to give a blink of his eye to have Martin thanked. Then when things don't go well with Ronnie, Tony is brought back in only to be sent back home a few weeks later because the record company wanted Dio.

Then, when a singer is needed in 1993, Martin is called back again. At the end of the "Cross Purposes" tour, Sabbath is offered to play these South American shows, but they want the original line-up for this. So it's again goodbye Mr Martin. But when Ozzy decides he won't do it, guess who they call back ? Good Old Tony, of course.

And when the end of the "Forbidden" tour comes and Ozzy starts waving from far away, then it's time for Tony to go (again !).

I mean, this guy gave everything he had for the band, he contributed re-establishing Sabbath's name in Europe while Europe had been widely neglected for years, he is the second longest lasting singer of the band after Ozzy, but still Iommi, the band's management and the record company never considered him as something other than a mere replacement. Why would he want to go back there again ? Sure he's not even close from superstardom anymore, but at least he still records great music and gets the credit he deserves for it, while Sabbath since he was thrown out has turned into some kind of Las Vegas style nostalgia act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I remember that Tony said some VERY unfair things about TM on Sabbath History Vol. 2, like..

- About TM coming on Eternal Idol: "Ray Gillen is gone, ans Tony Martin came to audition. The record company said he was a good singer, but I didn't liked him. But the record company like, so he was in" ( I don't remember the exact quote )

And remember, Gard... TM was suposed to sing on the Costa Mesa gig, but he couldn't get the Working VISA...

UnderTheSun
09-12-2006, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I remember that Tony said some VERY unfair things about TM on Sabbath History Vol. 2, like..

- About TM coming on Eternal Idol: "Ray Gillen is gone, ans Tony Martin came to audition. The record company said he was a good singer, but I didn't liked him. But the record company like, so he was in" ( I don't remember the exact quote )

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Not that I think you lie, but what the... how disrespectful...

Ashley Dalby
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Maybe it is better he does not sing for Sabbath anymore but I can understand his anger so to speak. As Gardener pointed out he is the second longest lasting vocalist for Sabbath and he provided stability while in the band. So for the band to push him around for whatever reason is tasteless and unprofessional.

I know I wouldn't take it and say the EXACT same thing Tony did if I were him.

Ray Rules
09-12-2006, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Not that I think you lie, but what the... how disrespectful...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, the exact quote from Tony Iommi:

"We called TOny Martin, who sing three albums from that ( the interview was recorded during the Dehumanizer situation ). We thought that The Shining Would be a good... well, they thought, the record company, everyone thought that he was a good singer, I didn't think particulary that he was a good singer, but you know, I had to go on with him. After all the rubish we have been with The Eternal Idol, I look for a new management what was really good, Earnest Chapman, and they help me out solving a lot of problems from the past. "

rar
09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we'll manage.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it totally sucks to be me, I wish I was Tony Martin.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I was just stating my opinion on the matter in a very lazy way. No need to say it must suck being me because Tony Martin is not my favourite singer. I'm taking many things into account by saying that, as well. That's not just something I'm throwing out there.

Eternal Idol
09-12-2006, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we'll manage.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it totally sucks to be me, I wish I was Tony Martin.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I was just stating my opinion on the matter in a very lazy way. No need to say it must suck being me because Tony Martin is not my favourite singer. I'm taking many things into account by saying that, as well. That's not just something I'm throwing out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey dude i think we all know this already ! For god sake just let it go !Am i a Tony Martin fan , yes am i a Black Sabbath fan hell yes . I just want to see this band do something and not die , if its with Ozzy ,ok if its with Dio even better , would i like to see something with Martin hell yes i know it wont happen anymore so lets move on . My first Sabbath album Born Again 2nd Greatest Hits with Ozzy 3rd Heaven and Hell; ok lets get with the program we all have our dislikes of certain singers ok move on , please . holy shit this is getting bad !

Gardener
09-13-2006, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And remember, Gard... TM was suposed to sing on the Costa Mesa gig, but he couldn't get the Working VISA...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've read that too but I've always felt it was rather unlikely. I mean, the Costa Mesa gigs were scheduled either in late october or early november (Bill Ward was called for the reunion set only on the 13th of november, on the eve of the first show) and at the time Tony was touring with Cozy Powell's Hammer. There are quite a few recordings from the shows they did in november (even one from the 15th), which always made me have my doubt about the fact Tony was even contacted for this.

Does anyone have some official statement confirming Tony was contacted ?

Ray Rules
09-13-2006, 10:33 AM
I think it's plan possible. I mean, I don't think they called TM on the day before... maybe a week before, thank give time to him to reorganizate his agenda..

Gardener
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's plan possible. I mean, I don't think they called TM on the day before... maybe a week before, thank give time to him to reorganizate his agenda..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that would have meant cancelling all the Cozy Powell's Hammer's shows of the week only to go perform two gigs with Sabbath. That wouldn't have been fair from Cozy and Neil Murray...

Ray Rules
09-13-2006, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that would have meant cancelling all the Cozy Powell's Hammer's shows of the week only to go perform two gigs with Sabbath. That wouldn't have been fair from Cozy and Neil Murray...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but we don't know if there was some gig schedueled on that week.. it's all speculation.. I hope Joe bring some light to it

Gardener
09-13-2006, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but we don't know if there was some gig schedueled on that week.. it's all speculation.. I hope Joe bring some light to it

[/ QUOTE ]

We know at least there was a show on the 11/15/92 in Heidelberg as there is an audience recording circulating (as well as for the 11/17/92 show in Ludvigsburg ad the 11/18/92 show in Frankfurt). Hard to believe thiese show weren't scheduled at least a few weeks before).

rar
09-13-2006, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we'll manage.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey dude i think we all know this already ! For god sake just let it go !Am i a Tony Martin fan , yes am i a Black Sabbath fan hell yes . I just want to see this band do something and not die , if its with Ozzy ,ok if its with Dio even better , would i like to see something with Martin hell yes i know it wont happen anymore so lets move on . My first Sabbath album Born Again 2nd Greatest Hits with Ozzy 3rd Heaven and Hell; ok lets get with the program we all have our dislikes of certain singers ok move on , please . holy shit this is getting bad !

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, im sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif