PDA

View Full Version : Best Riffs!

David86
10-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Pick your favourite riffs from each Tony Martin era Sabbath record!

David86
10-06-2006, 10:28 PM
I've left out the bonus tracks and the keyboard-only songs.

Glory Ride: What a monster of a riff.
Headless Cross: Had a hard time with this but in the end I went with the title track
Anno Mundi: Beautiful.
Cross of Thorns: Almost picked I Witness but finnaly decided upon CoT.
I Won't Cry For You: Great riff.

Raven Rider
10-07-2006, 06:37 AM
TEI - Hard Life to Love
HC - Headless Cross
T - Feels Good to Me
CP - Immaculate Deception
F - I Won't Cry for You

Benjo
10-07-2006, 10:00 AM
EI - Glory Ride, a classic Tony Iommi signiture riff that I feel only Tony could come up with. Although I adore The Shining too.

HC - Headless Cross. The reason being is that when I first heard this album and Cozy's drums started, then Tony accompanied him with the simple, but exceptionally powerful pompous opening power chords, I thought it sounded mighty cool - almost another take on Heaven & Hell to my ears. But personally I was awaiting the tempo change's during the song - the calm and thundering chaotic sections which I loved about Tony's playing. Very nice solo section, but the tempo of the song is the same for over 5 minutes. It just didn't seem to go anywhere in my opinion. But the first 2 minutes sound epic and powerful (but gets a bit repetitive as the song goes on)

TYR - Anno Mundi. Love the soundscape and mood of this song and the vocal work and harmonys Martin does.

CP - The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. You don't hear riffs like that very often in this day. Very groovy. (on the flip side, I cannot stomach Back To Eden on CP, I think it is an ordinary, un-distinctive effort)

F - Kiss Of Death. Classic Sabbath IMO (I know quite a few people don't like this song)

Psycho Man
10-07-2006, 10:32 AM
The Shining
Black Moon
Jerusalem
Psychophobia
Illusion Of Power

MarcStitz
10-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Scarlet Pimpernal
Headless Cross
Anno Mundi