Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Holy Diver vs Blizzard of Ozz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Diver by miles, not a one filler on this one. Amazing amount of masterpieces (DTTS, Stand Up and Shout, Straight through the Heart and the "hits" Rainbow In The Dark and the title track) and at worst its still good (Caught In the Middle). Blizzard of Ozz has some good material on it, but its not one of my favorite albums. I really love Vivian Campbells playing on HD, just listen to DTTS solo, one of the best solos ever.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

I'm a little surprised by the responses to this. I prefer the Dio era Sabbath myself, but I have to say I think Blizzard of Ozz is a stronger album. I feel like Ronnie is at his best when he's with Tony and Geezer. Ozzy is probably at his best with them as well (at least he was for the first few albums) but his first two solo albums are up there with his Sabbath output. For my tastes, anyway.
      "But I don't want to go among mad people."
      "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
      "How do you know I'm mad?"
      "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Comment

Blizzard of Ozz by miles.
        Holy Diver is a very good and Classic metal album.
        Blizzard of Ozz is a Masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by H&H View Post
          Mr. Osbourne.
          I lol'd, I lol'd.
          "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

This poll reminds me that I think I did a Blizzard vs Holy Diver a few years back. I voted Blizzard but only by the narrowest of margins. Don't Talk To Strangers is a classic that is unmatched by anything on the Blizzard album but when I go through it song by song Blizzard wins overall.
            How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
            --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Fabiano75 View Post
              Blizzard of Ozz by miles.
              Holy Diver is a very good and Classic metal album.
              Blizzard of Ozz is a Masterpiece.
              I second that

Comment

While I prefer Blizzard Of Oz, I think Holy Diver is more of a Black Sabbath album in the sense that it sounds like what they would've done had Dio stayed with the band whereas the other one sounds nothing like what they would've done had they not fired Ozzy.

Comment

should have been heaven and hell or blizzard cause it was those two who were out at same time ,but no one can deny Randy !!

Comment

Originally posted by leftytony View Post
                    While I prefer Blizzard Of Oz, I think Holy Diver is more of a Black Sabbath album in the sense that it sounds like what they would've done had Dio stayed with the band whereas the other one sounds nothing like what they would've done had they not fired Ozzy.
                    With respect to Holy Diver, no way on EARTH would Tony Iommi have such a wimpy, thin tone when trying to play heavy rock.

Campbell's leads were fast. That's about the extent of it, IMO. His rhythmic playing was often unconvincing. Ronnie wrote great songs and sang his lungs out, but that band just was not that exciting, IMO. Granted, they had to sort of live up to Mark II Sabbath, so that standard was probably too high for just about anyone.

TBH, some of Holy Diver sounds like poor man's Dio-era Sabbath. Obviously Ronnie had every right to continue in this direction, but had Dio stayed I think a third album would have blown away Holy Diver and Born Again combined.
                    "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                    -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by mikesline View Post
                      should have been heaven and hell or blizzard cause it was those two who were out at same time ,but no one can deny Randy !!
                      Some did. I thought he was really good but some argued he was a bit too much like Eddie Van Halen. His solo on "Flying High Again" probably didn't help. Even though he had his own spin on it those double hammer-ons were by then a trademark of Eddie Van Halen's sound.

I think Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, Uli Roth ... all of these guys had been in somewhat similar territory. The biggest advantage Rhoads had was working with Ozzy, whose vocal melodies on his first two solo records are quite simply astonishing. He also heard Heaven and Hell, which I think clearly got his head right in terms of how to approach heavy rock. Certainly nothing I've heard that he did in Quiet Riot indicates that he was ready for prime time songcraft. He may not have been a Sabbath fan, but I think this was perhaps played up a bit to hide just how much H&H influenced BoO. I've even read that it was Rhoads who insisted that Ozzy listen to the H&H. Don't know if that's true.
                      "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                      -WTB

Comment

I voted for Blizzard. Though HD has some great tracks, most notably DTTS.

Ted

Comment

should have included Born Again as a trilogy... after Dio was gone in the same year BA was recorded...
                          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                          R. Blackmore

Comment

Holy Diver because it has "Don't Talk to Strangers".

Comment

1.Mob Rules
                              2.Heaven and Hell
                              3.Blizzard of Ozz
                              4.Diary of a Madman
                              5.Born Again
                              6.Holy Diver
                              Last edited by Kennyz; 10-01-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Blizzard Of Ozz
                                "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                                "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                                ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                                X