A liitle conflicted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A liitle conflicted...

I know Seventh Star is in all practicallity a Tony Iommi solo record and not a Black Sabbath one. But, since the name Black Sabbath is on it, I consider it a Black Sabbath record. That brings us to The Devil You Know. It is opposite. For all practicallity, it is a Black Sabbath record, but it is not under the Black Sabbath name. So if I follow my logic from Seventh Star, I can't consider it a Black Sabbath album since it's under a different name. The only way my previous logic to dictate The Devil You Know as a Black Sabbth album, I can't consider Seventh Star a Black Sabbath album.

Help me figure out logic that says both are Black Sabbath albums!

I've also included a poll to indicate what you think is what.
    Seventh Star is Black Sabbath, The Devil You Know is not.
    4.00%
    The Devil You Know is Black Sabbth, Seventh Star is not.
    16.00%
    Both are Black Sabbath.
    68.00%
    Neither are Black Sabbath.
    12.00%
    Last edited by Icy Sun; 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Both are, but as I disagree with many, Fused is not Black Sabbath.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
      Both are, but as I disagree with many, Fused is not Black Sabbath.
      I agree, Fused is not Black Sabbath.
      Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Comment

It's funny that you bring this up becuase I saved TDYK as Black Sabbath not HnH on my computer. I consider TDYK a Sabbath album no matter what the band calls themselves
        Nobody will ever let you know
        When you ask the reason why
        They just tell you that you're on your own
        Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Miracle whip is still mayo...
          "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

Ok miracle shit isnt mayo and both are Black Sabbath

Comment

I understand when people say Seventh Star is not Black Sabbath, even though I have no problem with it being called that. Devil should have the Black Sabbath name on it.

I see both as Black Sabbath albums no matter what.

Originally posted by WarningRules View Post
              Miracle whip is still mayo...
              What about "I can't believe it's not butter"?
              The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

To my understanding, Seventh Star was recorded as an Iommi solo album, and he was pressured by the label to call it Sabbath. Whether or not that's accurate, I'm not certain.

TDYK is by the same lineup as Mob Rules, Live Evil and Dehumanizer, and the band has referred to themselves as Sabbath.

But hey, that's just me. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

All the best,
                PAULIE
                http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

Fun poll you put here, Icy..I vote option #3, i.e TDYK is Sabbath, SS is not.

I never did and never will regard Seventh Star as a Black Sabbath album, for reasons I may or may not have stated in these forums, before.

Now, as I said before, H&H and TDYK, to me, are basically only really Black Sabbath --a la the identical reunited line-up of 1980-82, and '92. So yeah, I consider TDYK to be a Sabbath album, by stealth.
                  "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by David86 View Post
                    I see both as Black Sabbath albums no matter what.
                    Both are Sabbath to me, although Seventh Star moreso because it's officially a Sabbath album. And official papers and things make all the difference in the world, unfortunately.
                    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

none; solo is solo; Heaven and Hell is Heaven and Hell.

As far as I know, the band Black Sabbath is dead and there are no plans for a reunion.

Comment

^^ Re: Rover. Don't wanna wrangle anew over that particular point you make above. But, Rover, lemme tell you of how I can't help but always savour the delicious, massive irony of a Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi slapped on the front face of Seventh Star -----an irony made all the more poignant when I think of those of you that like to forever argue of how Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath are (supposedly) one and the same. Please refer to racer's declaration that you proudly quote in your own signature. ...'.Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi' is about as muddled a naming ruse as the album's marketers and a floundering Iommi could manage, at the time. Gosh, Run DMC featuring Sean 'Puff' Diddy, for instance, has a more authentic ring to it than what I got on the Seventh Star cover.
                        Last edited by RLP4ever; 06-04-2009, 06:35 AM.
                        "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
                          ^^ Re: Rover. Don't wanna wrangle anew over that particular point you make above. But, Rover, lemme tell you of how I can't help but always savour the delicious, massive irony of a Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi slapped on the front face of Seventh Star -----an irony made all the more poignant when I think of those of you that like to forever argue of how Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath are (supposedly) one and the same. Please refer to racer's declaration that you proudly quote in your own signature. ...'.Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi' is about as muddled a naming ruse as the album's marketers and a floundering Iommi could manage, at the time. Gosh, Run DMC featuring Sean 'Puff' Diddy, for instance, has a more authentic ring to it than what I got on the Seventh Star cover.
                          Actually, I took the Seventh Star cover two ways: For one, it points out that Iommi is the original member left in the band; two, it was probably the compromise made since the recording was meant to be a solo project until record company pressure put the Sabbath label on it.

It did, however, open the door to the revolving lineups on future recordings, which only proves that Iommi and Black Sabbath were synonymous. I have every Black Sabbath recording, and his name is the only name that appears on each one.

Comment

Originally posted by nunoni View Post
                            none; solo is solo; Heaven and Hell is Heaven and Hell.

As far as I know, the band Black Sabbath is dead and there are no plans for a reunion.
                            I agree with this.

Minus the "Sabbath is dead" sentiment.

Comment

Oh, good gracious! It's Parkay and it's hardening my arteries just like butter would.

As usual, RLP's analytical dissection of the question at hand is well stated, and in theory I don't disagree with it. BUT I'm still part of that school that feels that Iommi is the concrete that forms the foundation for Black Sabbath. So, though it may be on a technicality, "Seventh Star" is Black Sabbath - just like "Eternal Idol." Look at the credits on EI. They refer to Iommi as "The Player," and the rest of the crew as "Players."

H&H, as I have gleaned from reading and listening to their recent interviews, seem to consider themselves at least an incarnation of Sabbath. They have included references to Bill Ward, Ozzy, and others in their answers and thoughts. And there are reasons why they ended up recording at the studio where the "Heaven and Hell" album was done, instead of where they had originally planned. And hey, calling the band something besides Black Sabbath will keep it out of the courts.

As far as "Fused" is concerned, just throw it out of this discussion. They make it very clear, in this case, that Iommi means Tony Iommi AND Glenn Hughes.
                              Last edited by Ozzien82; 06-06-2009, 09:23 AM.
                              Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
                              I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
                              There's just one thing to say, after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X