Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Black Sabbath Vs. Ozzy Round 1 Heaven & Hell Vs. Blizzard of Ozz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RLP4ever View Post
    WR. If anybody has been acting like true "fanboys" here, it's the anything but Ozzy, everything with Iommi crowd of fans here, lately.

I'd say Blizzard wins by first-round KO, with one killer uppercut to the glass jaw of Heaven and Hell. But then, this is a rigged contest with corrupt judges at the bench.
    Ok, Iommi vs Ozzy. I vote Iommy.

Comment

Lol. I think anyone in his right mind who is a Sabbath fan over an Ozzy fan would say Iommi.
      "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

WR, that's a pretty ludicrous thing to say, and you know it too. How many "die-hard Ozzy" but "not Sabbath" fans have you met here recently?? Besides, what's anything even wrong with somebody liking an OZZY (solo) album a lot more than he does a 'Black Sabbath' album of the same period?? If anybody has been acting like true "fanboys" here, it's the anything but Ozzy, everything with Iommi crowd of fans here, lately.

I'd say Blizzard wins by first-round KO, with one killer uppercut to the glass jaw of Heaven and Hell. But then, this is a rigged contest with corrupt judges at the bench.
        +1 bud on all of it

Comment

Heaven and Hell. Listening to it a lot more. It doesn't hurt that it maybe one of the greatest albums ever. I don't like Blizzard as much as I used to. And Ozzy's tampering taints an otherwise classic record.

Comment

I'd say Blizzard wins by first-round KO, with one killer uppercut to the glass jaw of Heaven and Hell.
            This is what frustrates me. I don't see how people can just say that Blizzard of Oz is incredibly so much better then H&H like that.

On BoO, compared to most of the previous Sabbath albums, Ozzy's voice is haggard. It's just terrible. It just seems like he started to moan a lot more then sing. Of course, these were his glory days, right? Either way, Dio is, I'm not being subjective here, a more capable vocalist. There's nothing to dispute here. He can do things that Ozzy can't, or couldn't. Plus, he has a better voice (which obviously is subjective, but I don't get what people are listening to when they say that Ozz has a better voice. You may believe that the way he sings/whatever is better, but comparing voices, not close. At all)

Second, we all know that Rhoads was an amazing guitarist, but he can't match up to the riff making of Iommi. He may have had skill up the wall, but I'm sure that he never made a riff with Ozz that was better then any riff that Iommi made with Dio.

Well, that's my rant for now. I just needed to vent. Whatever.

Comment

I love both albums but the scale tipped in the favor of Heaven & Hell this time.
              Words laced with blasphemy, drip with sincerity. Falling into the plan, like sacrificial lambs. Hearing the words, and said rings like nail to the head. Now I can see the stars, I know we have gone too far.
              - OverKill, "Horrorscope"

Comment

Originally posted by WarningRules View Post
                This is what frustrates me. I don't see how people can just say that Blizzard of Oz is incredibly so much better then H&H like that.
                Difference of opinions brosef thats how

Also it legitimately is that much better tbh :V

On BoO, compared to most of the previous Sabbath albums, Ozzy's voice is haggard. It's just terrible. It just seems like he started to moan a lot more then sing. Of course, these were his glory days, right? Either way, Dio is, I'm not being subjective here, a more capable vocalist. There's nothing to dispute here. He can do things that Ozzy can't, or couldn't. Plus, he has a better voice (which obviously is subjective, but I don't get what people are listening to when they say that Ozz has a better voice. You may believe that the way he sings/whatever is better, but comparing voices, not close. At all)
                I actually think that Ozzy's vocals were pretty good on Blizzard/Diary.

Second, we all know that Rhoads was an amazing guitarist, but he can't match up to the riff making of Iommi. He may have had skill up the wall, but I'm sure that he never made a riff with Ozz that was better then any riff that Iommi made with Dio.
                This is what irks me. Iommi may be the better guitarist overall, but come on. He's not god, he's not infallible, as 99.9% of this board makes him out to be.

Iommi HAS (BELIEVE IT OR NOT) created bad riffs/songs. And tbh, Blizzard simply has a higher quantity of better songs than Heaven and Hell does, IMO.

Simple as that.

Comment

Heaven and Hell. The little dwarf with the mighty axe [or rather voice] wins! :D

Edit: Maybe it would have been a good idea to pitt the players because thats what it [the thread] turns to in the end!
                  Last edited by geekwrestler; 07-03-2009, 11:55 PM.
                  Tony Iommi Fact #021
                  Before telling Tony Iommi his guitar was slightly out of tune, Ronnie James Dio was seven feet tall.

Stolen from: Tony Iommi Facts website.

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post

Also it legitimately is that much better tbh :V
                    I SAW THAT!

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                    This is what irks me. Iommi may be the better guitarist overall, but come on. He's not god
                    Yeah. We know. But my point was that he made better riffs then Rhoads.

Comment

WR, that's a pretty ludicrous thing to say, and you know it too. How many "die-hard Ozzy" but "not Sabbath" fans have you met here recently?? Besides, what's anything even wrong with somebody liking an OZZY (solo) album a lot more than he does a 'Black Sabbath' album of the same period?? If anybody has been acting like true "fanboys" here, it's the anything but Ozzy, everything with Iommi crowd of fans here, lately.

Nah. This contest isn't rigged. You're just being a sore loser.
                      I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                        Haha, that's one way to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by cwilder86
                          Hey, I don't 'lose' in any way at all, actually. I love Blizzard of Ozz AND feel it's way superior to Heaven and Hell, regardless of what others think or which way they vote, on some poll like this. That's a pretty win-win situation for me, I reckon.

Originally posted by WarningRules
                          I see it because I feel exactly that way about Blizzard vs H&H. Also, it's the same way you and others probably feel it's completely the other way around, or anything in between, regarding Blizzard vs H&H. No big deal, honestly. Don't be frustrated, mate..Just face it!

It goes without saying really that I don't find anything 'haggard' or 'terrible' about Ozzy's voice on Blizzard. He 'sings' splendidly, and if, to your ears, he seems to just 'moan' a lot on the record, I'm betting that he must have done that pretty darn well, too.

Also, I'm no advocate or automatic aficionado of supposedly "more capable" vocalists. This is the whole mumbo-jumbo I hear about Dio and Martin having sooooo much more 'range', 'skills', 'natural talent' and that whole enchilada of vocal virtues, that Ozzy lacked. Whether you're being 'subjective' or not is beside the point. The real point is what the two guys, Ozzy and Dio, achieve vocally, on their respective songs and albums, and the impact their vocal performances have on us fans. Sure, Dio probably can do things, vocally, that Ozzy couldn't, or chose not to, or didn't need to, in Sabbath. They are two very different singers; so I can only expect that much. Oh well, I can argue the reverse, just the same about Ozzy having unique gifts and skills that Dio (and several others) patently lacked. No great argument to be won or lost here, you know. And yeah, I believe 'the way Ozzy sings' has regularly sounded 'better' to my ears. Does that make Ozzy 'better' than Dio? Hell yeah, to my ears and tastes, it sure does.

Well, that's my rant for now. I just needed to vent. Whatever.

I admire Rhoads's unforgettably cool guitar-playing on Blizzard and Diary. He lent a whole lot of oomph to the classic sound and overall greatness of those two records. Yet, I've never canonised Randy,, the way he has been, by countless people, since his tragic, premature death. Heck, some people in these forums, in the past, have said he was far better than EVH....And I had to strongly dissent with that opinion, by stating my own reasons why I thought it just wasn't the case. Now, you say Randy could never match Iommi's mastery of the 'riffs'. Well, Randy wasn't so promiscuously reliant on riffs that you could make parallel comparisons between the riffing abilities, of an established master like Tony Iommi, and an emerging, unmistakeably brilliant player like RR. Lastly, I'd say that I always felt that Randy gave me tons more far cooler moments on his guitar in Ozzy's band, than Iommi showed me on his axe, with Dio, in Sabbath.

I don't think I 'ranted' or 'vented', but yeah, it's over.
                          Last edited by RLP4ever; 07-04-2009, 02:04 AM.
                          "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Comment

OZZY sorry but Blizard is the album here that ment more and did more for metal. This got Ozzy out of the hotel and back into music. As I have said before Ozzy got many bands their start in music both with Ozzfest and as opening for him as a solo artist. Heaven and Hell is a great and important album for the rebirth of Sabbath as a band but it has not had the impact of Ozzy and his career.

Comment

Originally posted by kentuckyfan View Post
                              OZZY sorry but Blizard is the album here that ment more and did more for metal.

Woah woah woah, Ozzy did metal after Sabbath? Not too sure about that one bud

Comment

Hey, I don't 'lose' in any way at all, actually. I love Blizzard of Ozz AND feel it's way superior to Heaven and Hell, regardless of what others think or which way they vote, on some poll like this. That's a pretty win-win situation for me, I reckon.

Which version, though? Ozzy's screwing of Daisly/Kerslake has pretty much ruined it for me. I can't even find a legit CD version of the real BoO.
                                May 16, 2010. RIP, RJD.

Comment

Working...
                                X